Code of Conduct

Default Your versions of...

First, this isn't meant as a way to make knockoffs... just a way for me to better understand mixtures and how the parts create a final product.
    What mixtures would you suggest to someone new to this that might mimic a (any) current fragrance? I'm ordering some of the books that have been suggested here but it would be helpful for me to get a better grasp on how certain scents and types of oils affect the final product and would have me starting in a better place than waiting a month to open a vial and not feel so well
    Anyone willing to share their recipes for something that reminds them of something currently made?
    I'm a colognosaurus. Rawr!

Default Re: Your versions of...

Quote Originally Posted by jrd4t View Post
    First, this isn't meant as a way to make knockoffs... just a way for me to better understand mixtures and how the parts create a final product.
    What mixtures would you suggest to someone new to this that might mimic a (any) current fragrance? I'm ordering some of the books that have been suggested here but it would be helpful for me to get a better grasp on how certain scents and types of oils affect the final product and would have me starting in a better place than waiting a month to open a vial and not feel so well
    Anyone willing to share their recipes for something that reminds them of something currently made?
    Well I'm still experimenting myself. I found that most of the time, the "major" adjustments in scent happen over a week time, after that it only changes slightly. I don't think you can really screw up a scent so it ends up smelling like vomit or poo, but after a week you'll notice some notes come out stronger than originally intended. Just do it again with less. I'm also curious to see who else replies to this.

Dan

Smile Re: Your versions of...

When I (or any other perfumer) set out to create a fragrance, I almost always reference notes or accords from other scents. That makes this site a priceless resource. Just this week I decided to make a sandal/ rose scent with a spicy edge, so I referenced egoiste and tweaked it and added some of my own faves to the mix and the results were fantastic. So , if one were to smell it they would probably say that " it smells like a spicier version of egoiste"..........precisely what was intended. As far as recipes go , this site is full of pyramids. Go crazy look and see what works well together and play with the amounts , add things or leave them out. Perfumers, like any other artists , have their influences and almost all perfumes are in some way knock-offs.

Cool.. thank you both. I tried to use the Hanae Mori pyramid to make one this past Saturday and right now it smells like a bag of old pot pourri hiding at the bottom of a clearance rack at TJ Maxx Hopefully it'll tame itself in a few more days! I think what i need to figure out is what jumps in front of what and what only needs a touch compared to substantially more. Perhaps using all Essential and no Fragrance oil could be part of it? Either way, it's back to the potions
    Also going to order a bunch more oils and such this weekend!
    I'm a colognosaurus. Rawr!

Talking Re: Your versions of...

Quote Originally Posted by fragnewb View Post
    Well I'm still experimenting myself. I found that most of the time, the "major" adjustments in scent happen over a week time, after that it only changes slightly. I don't think you can really screw up a scent so it ends up smelling like vomit or poo, but after a week you'll notice some notes come out stronger than originally intended. Just do it again with less. I'm also curious to see who else replies to this.

Dan
    Actually , some vomit and poo have been used in perfumery since ancient times(ambergris and hyraceum). Ihave tinctures of both and like them very much. lol

Quote Originally Posted by mstrocovie View Post
    Actually , some vomit and poo have been used in perfumery since ancient times(ambergris and hyraceum). Ihave tinctures of both and like them very much. lol
    lol oooh touche, I forgot about those. Supposedly the chemical that we enjoy in rose is the same chemical that is found in feces.

I agree with mstrocovie as to the usefulness of this site. Perfumery really is an art, just like music. In both, you're going to have your influences and rip them off, a lot, but gradually over time you will develop your own style. If you keep good notes, you will know after a while what notes are really strong and what are weak. As far as this site goes, it's great for ideas. You can go into the fragrance search and type in a note, or more, see what fragrances have those notes, and see how they ended up using them. This is great if you want to get some ideas.

After I typed this I went to look for some stuff and forgot a bit. The feedback on the fragrances help too! If you type in something, you can see what notes are used, and what other people who actually smelled this had to say about the perfume itself. 30 people give it a thumbs down, it probably wasn't a good idea
    Last edited by fragnewb; 20th June 2007 at 12:58 PM. Reason: addition

this is very hard, ive been trying for 2 years and I have yet to create something that even comes close to mimicing a real frag... *sigh*

I really would love to imitate my favorite perfume "Michael" with essential oils (and absolutes, just no synthetic scents.) The problem is, besides Tuberose and Vetiver, the fragrance notes listed sound like perfume names themselves: Dewy Freesia, White Wings Peony, Cashmere Woods... And what's up with "Incense" as a note? There's a million kinds a incense, that's not very descriptive. What do they do, take these unspecified incense sticks and put them in a distiller to produce a liquid extract? Ha.
    (Pouts...)

When incense is listed as a note, it generally refers to olibanum, aka frankincense. The resin or resinoid will give a richer, more lasting impression than the essential oil.