Code of Conduct

Angry My L'Eau d'Issey Pour Homme Intense review (and assorted stuff)

First off, the JCPenney renovation (which will include a Sephora) in my hometown of Fort Wayne is going as scheduled, and the new Sephora store-within-a-store should open by year's end... cool!

Anyway, my dad and I arrived in Seattle today. Our flight on Northwest Airlines got in on-time, but Avis Rent-A-Car did "try harder" to make us wait over an hour just to get a frickin' Chevy Impala. (Sorry for going off-topic, but that made me a bit mad.)

After we visited the Museum of Flight, we went to downtown Seattle. I didn't get a chance to go into the new Barney's (sadly), but I did get a chance to visit the flagship Nordstrom (in the Fredrick & Nelson building). I went straight down to the men's floor, stopping at the fragrance counter. I saw L'Eau d'Issey Pour Homme Intense, and knowing that it's a Nordie's exclusive until next month, I spritzed some on. The top started like regular ol' L'Eau d'Issey Pour Homme, albeit a bit spicier. Then came a nice incense middle note.

But after twenty or so minutes, that wonderful incense note was gone! All gone! In its place was a carbon-copy of Calvin Klein Euphoria Men or YSL L'Homme's base notes. Haven't we smelled this a million times before? From a smelly perspective, L'Eau d'Issey Pour Homme was groundbreaking. L'Eau Bleue d'Issey Pour Homme (which is currently being phased out) was also innovative, although it wasn't to my tastes.

As for L'Eau d'Issey Pour Homme Intense? Here's how I think it went: I guess that Issey Miyake himself FedEx-ed a bottle of CK Euphoria Men to his buddies at B.P.I., saying "Make a scent that copies this, but has a wee bit of incense and a top note of my original scent... mainly so especially the American market will buy even more of my frags." I guess that B.P.I's top execs obviously agreed, and that's why we have this on the market.

Granted, I haven't lost my hope yet for that other big B.P.I. release, Narciso Rodriguez for Him... but, then again, I haven't smelled it. But I've lowered my expectations for that, too.
    Last edited by MFfan310; 8th August 2007 at 03:33 PM. Reason: First version was a bit too harsh
    Celebrating 10 years on Basenotes - and smelling better than ever

My mission statement: "I am not afraid to keep on living - I am not afraid to walk this world alone."

Default Re: My L'Eau d'Issey Pour Homme Intense review (and assorted stuff)

simply a love or hate fragance like euphoria ck !

thanx for the advance, im very interesting to test the new issey , very very much!! anyway i need another opinion !

This is the first Issey scent that my wife actually likes. I bought a bottle and I love it. Just different enough from the original, but enough alike that it satisfies me.

2 Thumbs Way UP!

I tested it yesterday, spraying some on the back of my hand, and some regular Issey further up my wrist. I like it, but it is certainly not a more intense version of the original.

Eleven hours later, the original still stood out more intensely than the Intense version.

I've always thought the regular version to pretty much only be good as summer scent. The Intense version is more versatile and I'd use it in other seasons.
    Renato

Basenotes Institution

When I smelled it about a month ago (Nordstroms also) I instantly disliked it: It didn't smell like the original, but had that odd 'metallic' note that so many mens colognes are trying to work into their top notes (Azzaro, CK, blah blah blah) so I dismissed it. The SA offered me a carded sample which I accepted, and tried it again the next day at home (fresh from a shower). Same thing.

I agree with MFfan310's review. It blows.

I'm not giving up hope on Narciso Rodriguez for Him, though.

Quote Originally Posted by ChuckW View Post
    This is the first Issey scent that my wife actually likes. I bought a bottle and I love it. Just different enough from the original, but enough alike that it satisfies me.

2 Thumbs Way UP!
    the only issey that share great longevity is bleu.. what about this.... ?

I agree with Renato this is a more all season Issey that can be used in fall and winter. I had no problem with it lasting very long on my skin just as the original one.

I've not tried INTENSE yet , tried regular one but not like that much... But the interesting thing is that deodorant of L'eau D'issey PH is the best deodorant I've ever smelled ... I'm in love with its deo ... It's strange that EDT is not as impressive as deo version ...

Longevity is an issue. I wore 5 sprays today. Could use about 7-8. Of course, it's over 100 degrees here!

Smells good though. Does not "blow" on me!