Code of Conduct
    Basenotes Institution

Default Private Collection Tuberose Gardenia by Estee Lauder - a review

The new Estee Lauder scent, Private Collection Tuberose Gardenia is being released in August - however I was able to get a sample of the Eau de Parfum a month or so ago. I felt extremely lucky to be able to sniff it - for a few reasons:

1. Way before I was into scents and before I found BN I always found Estee Lauder fragrances fascinating. Actually, in high school, I did a term paper (we got to choose the subject) on Ms. Estee Lauder herself. I learned all about her 'rise to fame', the ethic behind her cosmetic/fragrance line, etc.
    2. I own and love the original Private Collection - it's a very feminine scent for a guy like me, so I wear it only at home but I love the way it smells so I invested in a parfum months ago. Other EL favs include the original White Linen (the Pure one is too light...) and of course, the new Azuree Soleil that Tom Ford did for EL.
    3. Tuberose and I are just getting to 'know each other'. Before I found BN I wouldn't have been able to say I knew what tuberose smelled like.

The scent:

The top notes come racing out the door and have a very strong floral blast in the opening. I love neroli top notes and PCTG's neroli and lilac [sorry I got just a teensy bit of rosewood] pack quite a punch! Not a very 'green' opening (if that's what you were expecting - like the original PC has) at all - just bright, airy and with the volume turned up high.

The middle notes are my favorite - my nose started to be able to tell the difference between the tuberose and the gardenia at this point. Maybe a little lemon (or some other citrus) shows up at this point and the gardenia becomes slightly 'creamy'. I got no white lily but sometimes I can't smell lily.

Dry down was a little linear, but that slight vanillia-ish bourbon note was nice, if a little spice-less. Not a hint of powder anywhere.

Sillage - strong. Longevity - above average, but not too long. Perhaps the parfum will ramp up the longevity.

I know someone out there is asking themselves - is PCTG a Unisex scent? I think it is. I approached PCTG warily - Carnal Flower and it's coconuty spicy tuberose was 'thick' on me. I felt like Carnal Flower was wearing me.

So I asked a few people (non-fragrance people) if they thought the PCTG smelled too 'feminine' on me (including the man in my life). Everyone of them said no. A friend said it smelled really 'clean' to him, like I'd bathed in an expensive soap, which confused me but I took as a compliment.

I decided to stop trying to second guess everyones reaction to it and JUST WEAR IT again and again (office, first thing in the morning, to bed). In the heat - it surprised me. It didn't really blossom like I expected it to. Very surprising. Maybe Ms. Lauder (Erin, Estee's granddaughter who is marketing the PCTG herself) doesn't want a scent that is to be worn outdoors?

The scent smells like it has been very well thought out. It's serious (well, way more serious than the last Lauder did for Coach's perfume...can you say SYNTHETIC!). PCTG smells like real absolutes of the flowers. Perhaps its not, but these floral notes seem crafted and complex. Classy.

Which, happily, is what I expected.

Fans of Carnal Flower (or kai for that matter) should try PCTG.

Image of bottle and ad campaign here:http://www.theperfumebee.com/aerin-l...denia-perfume/

Default Re: Private Collection Tuberose Gardenia by Estee Lauder - a review

Oh how lucky!! I'm envious beyond belief!
    Now I really need to sniff it

recently saw the two page ad with A Lauder guess they are going for a younger version on this new release back then i really appreciated Priv Coll a beautiful fragrance but much too heavy for my liking looking forward to trying this new release on an oldie but goodie

Basenotes Institution

Anyone try the Parfum?

After the positive reviews here and a paean of praise from Luca Turin (who calls ELTG one of the best gardenia scents ever produced in the german magazine Park Avenue), I tried it today, and immediately fell in love. What a sunny, luminous take on gardenia! A real mood-lifter. Just wonderful. Not at all buttery and creamy like most tuberose fragrances, but clear and pure with a dark undertone. A must-try for any white flower lover!

Mike, thanks so much for this thread! I just snagged a sample of this stuff (edp) off e-bay, so it should be arriving this week...I hope it is just like you've described! I think of Estee Lauder as an icon in the world of beauty. All the EL products, from skincare to makeup to fragrance, are very good quality at a reasonable price. Really, hasn't everyone had at least one EL favorite over the years!? After reading your interpretation I'm even more eager to sniff this gem!

I bought this unsniffed and never regretted it! I adore this gardenia masterpiece!!

Basenotes Institution

What a coincidence - I was at Nordstrom's today and did my best to try to get them to open up a box of the parfum to sniff, but they wouldn't do it. Sh*t!

Yes, the EdP is a beauty. I ran out last year and now I miss it sorely. But I really want the parfum, even if the bottle is a little...tacky.
    Last edited by mikeperez23; 23rd February 2008 at 09:27 PM.
    "You are here to enable the Divine purpose of the Universe to unfold. That is how important you are."

-- Eckhart Tolle

Oh, I'm in Private Collection Tuberose Gardenia heaven! Just got my samples today...Mike, your commentary is very accurate! Thanks for sharing your perspective. Two additional points I have to mention:

1.) There is a "private collection" sort of 'base' in this frag, which is identical to the original. The top and middle are not the same at all, just the dried down basenotes - classy & scrumptious! Clean too.

2.) I also wear L'artisan's La Chasse Aux Papillons (original version - not the extreme) and after about 4 hours of PCTG I could swear I was sniffing LCAP!!! No kidding, it was wild!

I'm just lovin' this Lauder! It is niche quality perfumery, and I highly recommend giving it a go! (Men & Women alike!)

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by ubuandibeme View Post
    Oh, I'm in Private Collection Tuberose Gardenia heaven! Just got my samples today...Mike, your commentary is very accurate! Thanks for sharing your perspective. Two additional points I have to mention:

1.) There is a "private collection" sort of 'base' in this frag, which is identical to the original. The top and middle are not the same at all, just the dried down basenotes - classy & scrumptious! Clean too.

2.) I also wear L'artisan's La Chasse Aux Papillons (original version - not the extreme) and after about 4 hours of PCTG I could swear I was sniffing LCAP!!! No kidding, it was wild!

I'm just lovin' this Lauder! It is niche quality perfumery, and I highly recommend giving it a go! (Men & Women alike!)
    Glad to hear you enjoyed it June. I get actually no 'private collection' base from PCTG. I would love to...but, I don't. LCAP is ok, but it's just not indolic enough for my tastes - and there is a particular note (maybe it's the linden) that annoys me and made it uncomfortable for me to wear. Enjoy the PCTG - it smells even better in the spring/summer.

Unfortunately this scent does not work for me!
    It is too raw! Especially I cannot stand the rustic water lily note.
    It smells to me like Frederic Malle Lys Mediterranee + Guerlain Mahora. Both are mediocre IMO

Gardenia is never my cup of tea but I would pick up Kai instead of this if I am forced to buy a gardenia scent
    Current favorites:

Jicky, Mitsouko, Shiseido Susuro,Or et Noir

After having the opportunity to wear this Private Collection Tuberose Gardenia for a few weeks, I thought I'd re-visit this thread...

IMO this PCTG is much better than I ever expected! It is an easily wearable, authentic tuberose with a touch of gardenia included. It wonderfully compliments and enhances that tuberose! I've also tested it in comparison to Malle Carnal Flower and guess what? The Estee Lauder frag absolutely won me over! Not that CF is any slouch of a scent, no sir, I simply find PCTG slightly more feminine ~ which is right up my alley! Before you write this one off, get out there and give it a go.