Code of Conduct

Default Gendarme new EdeP Just Tried It; First Thoughts

Barneys finally got the new Gendarme EdeP in recently, and I tried it the other day. Well, it's exactly like regular Gendarme EdeT, exactly, IMHO. I was thinking that maybe the EdeP solution would have some tangible variation on the original theme, but now. Which I guess is a good thing, basically.

Also, I guess it lasts longer. Not terribly sure, as I am one of the few people, apparently, on whom original Gendarme lasts fairly long. Anyway, it's $100 for 100 ml and $200 for 200 ml, so no discount for volume purchase. If you like Gendarme, and think it should last longer, then for more $ you get the same, for longer.

Default Re: Gendarme new EdeP Just Tried It; First Thoughts

Hmmmm, did you expect the EdP to smell differently? I didn't, just that it would last longer. Which I find strange, since it lasts ten hours on me, easy. On a bad day. I can't help but wonder what the EdP would be like.

Do EdPs and EdTs of the same scent smell differently, in general?

TNMA
    "Why not seize the pleasure at once?"
    -- Jane Austen (Sun, and Mercury in Sagittarius)

I can't really say from personal experience (I don't own both versions of any) but a lot of reviews in the directory enumerate different notes coming through and to varying strengths in the EdP vs. the EdT. One that comes to mind is the Hanae Mori HM. I'm still trying to figure out how much cherry I want with my chocolate with that one :P

Quote Originally Posted by thenmarcher View Post
    Do EdPs and EdTs of the same scent smell differently, in general?

TNMA
    I'm a colognosaurus. Rawr!

Quote Originally Posted by thenmarcher View Post
    . . . Do EdPs and EdTs of the same scent smell differently, in general?

TNMA
    Yes, generally they do. There is a misconception that EDP simply means greater strength. That is the case, but most EDPs are almost always reformulations to a certain extent, and in some cases to a large extent. I intend to post an essay length discussion of this sometime in the near future with various examples of differences between EDT and EDP formulations. It's all actually quite complex and involved.

In the case of the Gendarme range, however, it's simply a matter of strength. Actually, technically the original Gendarme is an EDP at 12% perfume oils. I am not sure what the strength of the new EDP version is, but I would save my money and buy Carrière EDP instead, which is the original Gendarme at twice the strength of 24% perfume oils (by founder of the Gendarme line Topper Schroeder's own admission). You can pick up a 4.0 oz bottle of Carrière EDP on eBay and even on some e-retailer sites for around $50.00. That's more than a 50% savings on the price of the
    new Gendarme EDP since it's pretty clear from the accounts of it thus far that it and Carrière EDP are one and the same thing.

scentemental

Last edited by scentemental; 20th June 2007 at 02:35 PM.

Wasn't Gendarme 20 just an EDP version of Gendarme?

Quote Originally Posted by pepse19 View Post
    Wasn't Gendarme 20 just an EDP version of Gendarme?
    Pretty much. It's at 20% perfume oils with an added lavender top note that naturally doesn't last too long and a little less leather in the base. Otherwise, it's much the same thing.

scentemental

Quote Originally Posted by scentemental View Post
    I intend to post an essay length discussion of this sometime in the near future with various examples of differences between EDT and EDP formulations. It's all actually quite complex and involved.

Ohhhhhh the anticipation is killing me!! Gotta love Scentemental!
    Last edited by LiveJazz; 20th June 2007 at 06:53 PM.
    "It's not what you look like when you're doing what you're doing; it's what you're doing when you're doing what you look like you're doing."