Code of Conduct

Thread: Violet Lovers

Default Violet Lovers

I am enarmoured of the scent of violets. I could not do without Geo F. Trumper Ajaccio Violet - To me it evokes the true scent of the flower. Violetta di Parma is also a favorite but it seems to encompass the whole plant rather than just the flower-that is to say the leaves ,stem, and the fragrant earth from which it grows.
    How does Violetta by Penhalogon compare to these two remarkable violet renditions?
    I've found Violette de Toulouse and Yardley April Violets to be a little sweeter in composition but not intolerably confectionary.
    In addition to the Penhaligon's how do other violets compare?

Default Re: Violet Lovers

I'm not too familiar with the fragrances you mentioned but Grey Flannel has a prominent violet note that is very nice.

burberry touch

Basenotes Institution

maxtoo - I am another violet lover. Most of the scents you listed, are very English, proper, gentlemanly violet scents.

I would branch out a little and experience some 'dirty' violet scents or those where violet is part of an overall theme.

This would include (in order, from my most favorite):

Midnight Violet by Ava Luxe
    Narciso Rodriguez for Him by Narciso Rodriguez
    Narciso Rodriguez Musk for Him by Narciso Rodriguez
    Black Violet by Tom Ford
    Violette by Fresh

It's not listed in the notes, but Paco Rabanne's Ultraviolet comes across as sweet-but-spacey violets to me.

Basenotes Institution

Has anyone tried Violet Splash by Marc Jacobs? If so, thoughts and comments please...

I agree with the Grey Flannel suggestion.....good violet note there, but definitely "in the mix."

Try Sonia Rykiel Homme (purple one) if you can. Great violet with a citrusy top!!

Good Luck!

Violet and Pepper....Usher He...don't laugh guys, it smells pretty damn good.
    Last edited by Jock_With_Scents; 7th September 2007 at 02:43 PM.

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by Jock_With_Scents View Post
    Violet and Pepper....Usher He...don't laugh guys, it smells pretty damn good.
    OK, I"m game. I'll try it.

Hey J_w_s, have you smelled the Fresh Violette? I did about two weeks ago and I'm not sure if it didn't make a strong impression because I didn't like it or for the fact that I was obsessing with SA's about the Tom Ford for Men scent coming this month. I do remember it has this green flower stalk note in it (similiar to some iris based scents) that I liked.

I think that this Fresh offering is exclusive right now, but hopefully it will move on to Sephora soon. I am going to be in Chicago on the 27th of Sept, and will seek it out for a sniff then. Thanks for the heads up!

Red face Re: Violet Lovers

Quote Originally Posted by maxtoo View Post
    I am enarmoured of the scent of violets. I could not do without Geo F. Trumper Ajaccio Violet - To me it evokes the true scent of the flower. Violetta di Parma is also a favorite but it seems to encompass the whole plant rather than just the flower-that is to say the leaves ,stem, and the fragrant earth from which it grows.
    How does Violetta by Penhalogon compare to these two remarkable violet renditions?
    I've found Violette de Toulouse and Yardley April Violets to be a little sweeter in composition but not intolerably confectionary.
    In addition to the Penhaligon's how do other violets compare?
    Hi there,

late to the thread.... anyway, Violetta by Penhaligon is a hyperrealistic rendition of the flower, i.e. it tells in simple language how dew-kissed, dripping wet violets smell like. a very english interpretation of the note.

i have this one and can send you a sample if you like.

Blog Entries

Just last week I tried (and bought) Annick Goutal's La Violette-- and love it! There is a tiny bit of rose in it, lending a spicy note that is just delicious.