Code of Conduct

Default Artisan - What's wrong with me?

Today I went to one of our major department stores (David Jones) to pay a bill. My eagle eye immediately spotted two Artisan scents on sale. Merchant Loup was half price, and Voleur de Roses was a bit less than half price.

So I sprayed some on each hand. Merchant Loup was pretty much as I remembered it. But Voleur de Roses, the scent which I've been very negative towards here for the last three years, suddenly smelled pretty good.

So I bought both. At the checkout, the lady said to me that for being such a good customer, she would be giving me some gifts - which were two 20 or 25ml spray bottles of Artisan's Mure de Musc and Dzongkha.

Then I also got a 3% shareholder discount on the price by using my David Jones card.

So what's wrong with me? Did I suddenly decide I liked the first two scents because,

a. It was a cold, wet, miserable 12ºC day and these scents work better in such conditions, or

b. I appreciate scents much more when they're going cheap?
    Renato
    Last edited by Renato; 20th June 2007 at 02:26 PM.

Default Re: Artisan - What's wrong with me?

Haven't tried the Roses, but I too, have been "on the fence" about Mechant Loup for a year or so. I like it enough that if I saw it for less than half price, it would push me over the edge too.

Good buy!
    Lately I've been wearing:
    Windsor, Bois de Santal, Original Santal, Elixir, Douro, Endymion, Reflection, Arcus, Marwah

Quote Originally Posted by Scentronic View Post
    Haven't tried the Roses, but I too, have been "on the fence" about Mechant Loup for a year or so. I like it enough that if I saw it for less than half price, it would push me over the edge too.

Good buy!
    Thanks. Good to hear that someone else may share my thought processes.
    Renato

Quote Originally Posted by Renato View Post
    Today I went to one of our major department stores (David Jones) to pay a bill. My eagle eye immediately spotted two Artisan scents on sale. Merchant Loup was half price, and Voleur de Roses was a bit less than half price.

So I sprayed some on each hand. Merchant Loup was pretty much as I remembered it. But Voleur de Roses, the scent which I've been very negative towards here for the last three years, suddenly smelled pretty good.

So I bought both. At the checkout, the lady said to me that for being such a good customer, she would be giving me some gifts - which were two 20 or 25ml spray bottles of Artisan's Mure de Musc and Dzongkha.

Then I also got a 3% shareholder discount on the price by using my David Jones card.

So what's wrong with me? Did I suddenly decide I liked the first two scents because,

a. It was a cold, wet, miserable 12ºC day and these scents work better in such conditions, or

Renato
    Oh so YOU'RE the one whose buying those up! I was at DJ contemplating a purchase on Tuesday but... but... but... and in the end I didn't get either. I really love Mechant Loup. I'm sure you smell terrific. Good buy! Not a fan of VdR but maybe the weather makes work.

I would have bought them too... but (I just can't part with my cash). Maybe if I see any Lolita Lempicka L eau de parfum tomorrow I'll buy it. I've been thinking about it... but.... Or maybe there's at least one bottle of ML left.

[Sigh] Decisions.
    Last edited by MysteryFemme; 20th June 2007 at 04:51 PM.
    "Voici mon secret. Il est tres simple: on ne voit bien qu'avec le coeur. L'essentiel est invisible pour les yeux."
    - Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Renato
    Renato,

Nothing's wrong with you. Your tastes are evolving, changing, shifting, growing etc. You've never noticed that with regards to other things, such as food for example? It would be a pretty bleak world if we only stuck to those things that we've always been interested in. Don't be so surprise. Enjoy the expansion of sensory joy. Great bargains BTW. Which David Jones was it? The one in the City?

scentemental

Quote Originally Posted by MysteryFemme View Post
    Oh so YOU'RE the one whose buying those up! I was at DJ contemplating a purchase on Tuesday but... but... but... and in the end I didn't get either. I really love Merchant Loup. I'm sure you smell terrific. Good buy! Not a fan of VdR but maybe the weather makes work.

I would have bought them too... but (I just can't part with my cash). Maybe if I see any Lolita Lempicka L eau de parfum tomorrow I'll buy it. I've been thinking about it... but.... Or maybe there's at least one bottle of ML left.

[Sigh] Decisions.
    You weren't tempted by any of the little $7 bottles of Demeter (Fig, Sex on the Beach, and some other ones) they also had at DJ's Melbourne store?

The 100ml Desperate Housewives EDP going for $19 next door at Myers seemed like good value, but I wasn't sure my wife would like it. At Myers I picked up Obsession Night for Men pretty cheap today too.
    Renato
    --------------------------------------
    Quote Originally Posted by scentemental View Post
    Renato,

Nothing's wrong with you. Your tastes are evolving, changing, shifting, growing etc. You've never noticed that with regards to other things, such as food for example? It would be a pretty bleak world if we only stuck to those things that we've always been interested in. Don't be so surprise. Enjoy the expansion of sensory joy. Great bargains BTW. Which David Jones was it? The one in the City?

scentemental
    Yes, my taste in food has changed a bit. But that takes place over decades not years - I turned 30 before I started eating any vegetables other than potatoes.

It was the David Jones' Melbourne store that I was in.
    Renato
    Last edited by Renato; 20th June 2007 at 03:35 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Interesting. I think one's sense of smell evolves more readily and radically than one's sense of taste. At least that's been my observation with others. I've always been very catholic in my tastes trying all kinds of cuisines even in my early to mid teens. Perhaps that's because there's a lot more at stake on a primal level with taste and the body/mind is a lot more conservative in this regard, as a result.
    A kind of safe guard where you stay with works and the pleasure of what works becomes consolidated. There's certainly a greater tendency towards habituation with food than with fragrances. Doctors who try to change their patients' s diets for health reasons will tell you it's one of the hardest things to get people to do. Whereas, with regards to olfaction, it's all about pleasure and intense pleasure to be sure and tastes seem to evolve more rapidly. I am sure that there are many Basenoters who can attest to the latter phenomenon. Just some random thoughts.

I hope these days you readily enjoy Melbourne's large array of wonderfully fresh and vibrant fruits and vegetables. It's one of my favorite things about Melbourne.

scentemental
    Last edited by scentemental; 20th June 2007 at 03:52 PM.

You weren't tempted by any of the little $7 bottles of Demeter (Fig, Sex on the Beach, and some other ones) they also had at DJ's Melbourne store?
    Renato
    Of course I was tempted but the plethora of choices floored me and I walked out with nothing. On second thought, maybe my wallet is grateful!
    "Voici mon secret. Il est tres simple: on ne voit bien qu'avec le coeur. L'essentiel est invisible pour les yeux."

The weather could have had an effect. Some fragrances transform and reveal hidden sides in different temperature/weather conditions. It happened to me most recently with Dior Homme.

The price could also be a reason - there are many fragrances which I like enough to buy at half price, but not full retail.
    -

It is so much easier to like something more when it costs way less than you remember it. I know that I am so much more ready to buy when I get a good deal.

I own both of those and I love them. Good buy! Two great scents for great prices... who could argue with that.

It might be a phase that you all of the sudden like VdR. It could be weather and just a new chance to smell something old and gain a new perspective on it.

Quote Originally Posted by scentemental View Post

Interesting. I think one's sense of smell evolves more readily and radically than one's sense of taste. At least that's been my observation with others. I've always been very catholic in my tastes trying all kinds of cuisines even in my early to mid teens. Perhaps that's because there's a lot more at stake on a primal level with taste and the body/mind is a lot more conservative in this regard as a result. A kind of safe guard where you stay with works. Whereas, with regards to olfaction, it's all about pleasure and intense pleasure to be sure. Just a thought.

scentemental
    Now that I think about it, you are probably right. For a long time, all I really liked were fougeres, and I didn't buy any of those strange leathery chypres and sweet orientals. But after forcing myself to test and try, I grew very fond of orientals (even Le Male) and thought the chypres pretty interesting.

In fact, I grew to like ranges of scents far more quickly than I did with vegetables and other odd foods - I can try them all I like, but I'll never like pumpkin, spinach, brussels sprouts, tomatoes, garlic, caviar, mussels, fish with bones, sushi rolls, duck, chicken skin and oysters in their shell (but smoked oysters on cracker biscuits are okay).
    Renato
    Quote Originally Posted by zztopp View Post
    The weather could have had an effect. Some fragrances transform and reveal hidden sides in different temperature/weather conditions. It happened to me most recently with Dior Homme.

The price could also be a reason - there are many fragrances which I like enough to buy at half price, but not full retail.
    Good point. I must check Dior Homme again - a lot of rave reviews here, and I just gave it a quick "Ho Hum" the only time I tested it.
    Renato
    Last edited by Renato; 20th June 2007 at 04:06 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

I must check Dior Homme again - a lot of rave reviews here, and I just gave it a quick "Ho Hum" the only time I tested it.
    Renato
    Allow me to enable you. I love Dior Homme. It smells like a gentleman should and I don't know anyone who wears it.
    Last edited by MysteryFemme; 20th June 2007 at 04:32 PM.

out of topic- few days ago I got a "compliment" about my Voleur de Roses: "it smells sour. Girls do not like such scents"
    "PLAIN LIVING, HIGH THINKING" O.W., De Profundis
    Real beauty: 1) Frederic Malle 1-20 2) Chanel Egoiste 3) YSL Opium pour Homme edp 4) TF Noir de Noir

Noses: 1) Jacques Cavallier 2) Maurice Roucel

Quote Originally Posted by EnvYuS View Post
    It is so much easier to like something more when it costs way less than you remember it. I know that I am so much more ready to buy when I get a good deal.

I own both of those and I love them. Good buy! Two great scents for great prices... who could argue with that.

It might be a phase that you all of the sudden like VdR. It could be weather and just a new chance to smell something old and gain a new perspective on it.

In the case of VdR I think it really could be the weather. I remember having a similar reaction to Issey and Kouros when I first tested them in winter - I thought they were pretty awful. But they became magic summer favourites, which remained smelling pretty good when the next winter came around (though I still didn't wear them in winter).

Merchant Loup I was never averse to, other than for that price it didn't last long enough.
    Renato
    Quote Originally Posted by DreamerII View Post
    out of topic- few days ago I got a "compliment" about my Voleur de Roses: "it smells sour. Girls do not like such scents"
    I guess that would qualify VdR as a scent that wives should give serious consideration to buying for their husbands (as an office scent, that is).
    Renato
    Last edited by Renato; 20th June 2007 at 05:32 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Renato, nice score on those L'Artisans. VdR has been on my to buy list for a very long time-- it's certainly an odd fragrance, but wonderful. There's a lot of patchouli in it, which may take some people by surprise. Also, that soil note is hit or miss with some people, but I think it's great. It gives the nose a lot to "chew on".

Mechant Loup is awesome as well. Awhile back I saw a lone bottle of it at Neiman Marcus and it was marked at about $20 off regular price so I bought it-- they didn't have ANY other L'Artisans, not sure how this bottle came to be there. Plus they ripped me off, I found out later that they had charged me full price and then didn't even give me a receipt. I'm never going back there again!

But anyway, I think Mechant Loup will fit your style. I know it suits me well-- though it is one I reserve for rainy days (although VdR is the BEST rainy day scent of all time-- next time it rains, try it!). Mechant Loup is warm yet bracing, like a hot cup of coffee with B&B in it, sitting alone reading a book. A nice touch of myrrh and sandalwood. A real comfort scent.

Nice grabs!

I actually have to be careful to brashly swap away frags that I know I like when they aren't "in season" for me. I swapped away Bvlgari Aqva last winter when it suddenly smelled terrible to me and I didn't want to wear it. This summer, I had a CRAVING for it, so I had to get it again, and I like it. I won't be making that mistake again.

About the Artisans, I rather like them too (especially VdR) but they never seem to last longer than 3 or so hours on me. Even so, I'd have to invest in a bottle at that price. An excellent find!

PS. Dior Homme is one of my favorites. Works for me in any season, but I have to admit that it's slightly better in winter. Give it another try...the drydown is fantastic!
    "It's not what you look like when you're doing what you're doing; it's what you're doing when you're doing what you look like you're doing."

I actually have not to be careful to brashly swap away frags that I know I like when they aren't "in season" for me. I swapped away Bvlgari Aqva last winter when it suddenly smelled terrible to me and I didn't want to wear it. This summer, I had a CRAVING for it, so I had to get it again, and I like it. I won't be making that mistake again.

About the Artisans, I rather like them too (especially VdR) but they never seem to last longer than 3 or so hours on me. Even so, I'd have to invest in a bottle at that price. An excellent find!

PS. Dior Homme is one of my favorites. Works for me in any season, but I have to admit that it's slightly better in winter. Give it another try...the drydown is fantastic!
    "It's not what you look like when you're doing what you're doing; it's what you're doing when you're doing what you look like you're doing."

I had the priviledge of sampling all of their wares at the recent Bnotes soire in Chicago. My girlfriend fell in love with VdR which I can admire for it's originality but find it unwearable as I do with most of their scents. The lone exception being Dzing which I'm still trying to get my nose around.
    "I exist for myself, and for those to whom my unquenchable thirst for freedom gives everything, but also for everyone, since insofar as I am able to love - I love everyone. Of noble hearts, I am the noblest - and the most generous of those that yearn to give love in return. - I am a human being, I love death and I love life."

Egon Schiele - Self-Potrait

My classics: Dior Homme EdT, YSL Rive Gauche PH, Helmut Lang Cuiron, L'Occitane Neroli (vintage), Davidoff Zino, L'Occitane Eau des Baux

http://www.basenotes.net/wardrobe/2976

VdR is a really artistic scent, for me THE scent of melancholy and decay. These feelings belong in my soul to autumn, so I wouldn't really enjoy this scent in this summer heat.

I don't know about Méchant Loup, but VdR is only a cool/cold weather fragrance for me. The sour note people speak of seems to reveal itself more readily in the warmer weather.

Off-Scenter

I've certainly done "180s" on a number of scents, including Santal Noble, Ambre Sultan, Black Aoud, Iris Bleu Gris, and Muscs Kublai Khan. I do wonder if the weather didn't help in your case. I enjoy Mechant Loup, but I find it especially comforting in cold, wet weather.