Code of Conduct

Default YSL Nu EdP worn by a man?

I am about to bite the bullet and buy this one blind based on the reviews here. My previous blind buys did not disappoint so I'm fairly certain I'll like this one. This is a first for me though - buying a fragrance branded as "female". Any guys out there who have worn this - what were your impressions? Also ladies - what are your opinions? Thanks!

Talking Re: YSL Nu EdP worn by a man?

To me, Nu is a cloying, synthetic mess. Commes des GarÁons without the irony. Virtual sex. Not a good blind buy, no matter how cheap it is. I have seen stacks of it for $10 a pop.

Basenotes Institution

Default Re: YSL Nu EdP worn by a man?

My thoughts on Nu:

1. I was excited about this too - let's face it, it was the first scent that Tom Ford 'did' for YSL. Does this surprise you, given the very strange name, (Nu?) and the packaging (it always reminds me of something from Star Trek...and it's hard to spray and hold at the same time)
    2. In some very strange way, it reminds me of Kingdom by Alexander McQueen - but the worst parts of Kingdom, not the best parts
    3. The incense in Nu smells almost 'metallic' - like your burning incense in a steel factory
    4. When I wear this, I feel like I'm wearing an outfit that I can't pull off. Perhaps someone with sharper cheekbones and a more hip hairstyle could pull this scent off (David Bowie? Beckham?) Not me.
    5. Nevertheless I still have it in my wardrobe - it fascinates me.
    Last edited by mikeperez23; 19th June 2007 at 03:06 PM.

I like it a lot and thatís why I wear it. In order to appreciate it, you have to be comfortable with the long lasting and powerful orchid note. The pepper and especially the incense, that is on the cold/metallic side as it has been said, creates a nice balance with the orchid. I wear it on special occasions. Excellent lasting power and sillage. I wouldnít call it a classic, but I would definitely say thatís itís a cult fragrance.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    My thoughts on Nu:

1. I was excited about this too - let's face it, it was the first scent that Tom Ford 'did' for YSL. Does this surprise you, given the very strange name, (Nu?) and the packaging (it always reminds me of something from Star Trek...and it's hard to spray and hold at the same time)
    2. In some very strange way, it reminds me of Kingdom by Alexander McQueen - but the worst parts of Kingdom, not the best parts
    3. The incense in Nu smells almost 'metallic' - like your burning incense in a steel factory
    4. When I wear this, I feel like I'm wearing an outfit that I can't pull off. Perhaps someone with sharper cheekbones and a more hip hairstyle could pull this scent off (David Bowie? Beckham?) Not me.
    5. Nevertheless I still have it in my wardrobe - it fascinates me.
    I agree with this 100%. Also, I got slaughtered a long time ago for starting a post about how I just don't see NU working for a man. The reason being-- I was in a bar and I smelled someone wearing NU-- I was looking around to see what woman was wearing it. If I had tracked down the source of the scent and it was a man-- it just would have been too incongruous-- and not in a cool rebellious "buck the trends" way either. It just smells like a woman. If you smelled a banana you'd say "hey what smells like a banana in here?" With Nu, you'd say "what smells like a woman in here?"

Though there are mannish aspects of Nu, it's a "drag king" at most-- I still find it very much a woman underneath the posturing screeching metal/incense squalls.

That being said, I have a bottle of NU and I like it on women. I also have a bottle of Kingdom, which I find similar. I'm going to ask the next girl I date to wear Kingdom and NU for me in bed. Nu is really sexy, but Kingdom is sexy and dirty. The first time I sprayed Kingdom, it gave me an erection, literally (not that everybody wants to hear about that, but it's what actually happened!) Comme des GarÁons 2 EDP (not 2MAN, just regular 2) is similar to both of these, but it's the only one I could see a guy pulling off-- and even then it can be a tad difficult sometimes.

You should still get Nu and try it for yourself. You can get it cheap, so if you don't wear it, it's still something interesting to sniff-- and you can always give it to a girlfriend later. You won't be out that much money ,so there's not much to lose. Try it.

I know there are super fans of Nu here, but I just can't get into it either. I've sampled it a dozen times at stores, and sometimes it's been very inexpensive at the time of those tests. I just can't get into it. I was with a girlfriend once and she didn't like it either.

It goes on very dull. Nothing shiny to the nose, just a bunch of olfactory matte paint. Then it grows with time and body heat to have some kind of heavy dull, lifeless flower smell that doesn't smell like a flower I'd want in a vase. I think there's been talk that the floral is orchid, or orchid like or something, but I don't care, if I were to buy a bottle I know I'd wear other things from the collection every morning instead.

The interesting thing about Nu is that it grows. From zero at application it ratchets up as the half-hours pass by. That's a neat effect, but for me the end result was that Nu is a "so what" product.
    --Chris
    That girl, that bottle, that mattress and me.

I have had the edp and edt of Nu. The edp is much nicer....its the one in the round bottle. The one in the blue bottle, the edt, was very harsh i thought and had a very mens cologne vibe to it. If you enjoy wearin it, i say wear and enjoy.
    Last edited by rosbergs3; 20th June 2007 at 09:15 AM.
    Awesomeguy

I bought it blind due to the enthusiastic reviews here, and it smells awesome on a paper strip, but dull, generic and definitely too feminine on my skin (that's why you should not buy blind, yes, I know...). I finally gave it away to a female friend, and it's wonderful on her.

Quote Originally Posted by Indie_Guy View Post
    With Nu, you'd say "what smells like a woman in here?"
    Though there are mannish aspects of Nu, it's a "drag king" at most-- I still find it very much a woman underneath the posturing screeching metal/incense squalls.

I have this one..Basenoters made an impact and I bought it. I think it's feminine, sexy in a dirty way, a bit synthetic in comme des garcons way..
    It was the cheapest purchase considering the quality and originality of this scent...
    Last edited by DreamerII; 7th August 2007 at 03:26 PM.
    "PLAIN LIVING, HIGH THINKING" O.W., De Profundis
    Real beauty: 1) Frederic Malle 1-20 2) Chanel Egoiste 3) YSL Opium pour Homme edp 4) TF Noir de Noir

Noses: 1) Jacques Cavallier 2) Maurice Roucel