Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default what 's your favorite Luca Turin review?

you tell me yours I 'll tell you mine.

Blog Entries

Default Re: what 's your favorite Luca Turin review?

Oooohhh - I like this question. But it's like Lay's® Potato Chips - you can't have just one. Presented for your entertainment - The Oscars® of Turins®.

Best Flame In A Comedy: Tania's nuking of Dior Addict ("the bourbon was all me").

Best Flaming Bulls-Eye: Very Wang For Men ("soapy nightmare" LT - soap is word; this one is like a bubble-bath with a fem-bot, and she short circuits while saying "no". Lord, wake me up! But Vera's revenge for this review will be a 5-star masculine, and I'm gonna buy a case of it.)

Flame From Hell: Michael Kors Michael ("evil tuberose" - "Shrieking hair-singeing horror, probably first rejected for use in industrial drain cleaner. One of the worst ever." TS - Whoa! I don't think she liked that one!)

Most Educational: Chanel No. 5 - ...which is over 1.5 pages long. Just try not to learn something.

Most Fan-Boy Five-Star: Bulgari Black - Rubber fetish. But it's absolutely true. Just ask my two minis of Black, super-glued to my nipples.

Most Theoretical: Esteé Lauder Beyond Paradise - Kinda like a really good description of the proof of the Poincaré conjecture for laymen that I once read. You almost feel like you understand it when it's over, but you know that you don't.

Best Attack on Null Fragrances: Benneton Pure Sport For Men - In an alternate universe, where my evil ex-girlfriend who liked this store didn't dump me, I would be wearing this crap. There is a God.

Most Cryptic Fragrance Classification: Paris Hilton Just Me For Men ("sad sack") - You know it's true, you just don't know WTF it means.

Best Attack on Celebrity Fragrances: Also to Paris Hilton for Just Me ("barf bag floral") - The review is just a copy of the publicity olfactory rundown. Five minutes later you realize they crammed not only every flower, but half of the fragrance genres, into one fragrance. You get the feeling that Hilton just kept adding stuff, and nobody had the guts to tell her no. But she gets the last laugh. She's hot, and I'm sitting here on Saturday night writing a review of a review.

Best Cameo by Paris Hilton: Guerlain Héritage - How this chick manages to show up in a 4-star review of one of the classiest men's scents of all time just shows you how relentless she is - and how close we are to the end of days.

Most Appearances of {[cC]an} in an ASCII String: Paris Hilton Can Can - ("remedial candyfloss" - Can it, by all means. LT) - OK, the fact that this broad got yet one more review, when L'Artisan's L'Eau de Jatamansi didn't even get one, is SO unfair.

Most Ibid: Bond No. 9 Central Park - The entire review: "Aqua Velva."

Best Description of the Indescribable: Angel (TS) - When I finally tried it, I said "Yeah!"

Best Imagery: Dior Poison - why stop at "toxic" when you can go for "tank"?

Best Anti-Creed: Virgin Island Water - Ooooo! Snarky! Take that, rich-boy.

Best Pro-Creed: Green Irish Tweed - Proof that we can overcome our prejudices. He even uses the "B" word ("brilliant"). This even makes up for the neutron bomb he dropped on Original Santal.

Best Touché: Lacoste Essential - Even one word would be a spoiler. Read for yourself.

Most Chemical: Jicky - Having been a chemist in my youth, it almost made me cry.

I think the thing I like the most is how spot-on so many of these reviews are. When I finally try this stuff, the frags always show just how on-target the reviews were. I've learned SO much from this book. The combination of reading this book and hanging out on basenotes has just opened up my sense of smell. This book is kind of like google. What did people do before?

One of the Christian LaCroix's was very funny, I think it was C' est la Vie.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by seattlelight View Post
    One of the Christian LaCroix's was very funny, I think it was C' est la Vie.
    Excellent call. A two-story bad review with two references. That's definitely worth looking up. Page 114.

best classic: Mitsouko & No. 5

best modern classic: Pleasures

best niche: Sarrasins

best description title: Paris Hilton Just Me

best informative: Mitsouko & Bandit

best humorous: Rose Ikebana

best humourous (Tania Sanchez): China Rose

best cheapie: Paloma Picasso

best cynical: Light Blue

best biased non-objective: Beyond Paradise

There are a lot of them. I basically just pick the thing up and it never takes more than a couple of pages until I find a good one. I just read a great one on Missoni.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by pluran View Post
    There are a lot of them. I basically just pick the thing up and it never takes more than a couple of pages until I find a good one. I just read a great one on Missoni.
    That's right. Thanks for the tip. It's like a two-fer with the next one, too. The acqua actually looks really appealing to my taste. And the description is wonderful - "Perhaps I'll shut up about the work of Maurice Roucel one day, but not today." It's gems like that which made me carry the damn book around like a kid for the first week.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by girlsodeadly View Post

best niche: Sarrasins

best humorous: Rose Ikebana

best biased non-objective: Beyond Paradise
    Great! There are a couple of treasures in there that I had glossed over. Sarrasins in particular. Also Beyond Paradise. And the Rose Ikebana thing is hilarious (my wife is Japanese, so I won't say anything more that would get me into trouble, with her or her friends, except to say true, true, true!) Actually, I think she might really like that frag, since she's almost 100% on liking sparse 3-star Hermès. A room cannot have too little furniture in it. A bouquet cannot have too few flowers. You get the picture. Soliflore City. Cleanliness isn't next to godliness - godliness is a cheap imitation of minimal cleanliness. Sometimes I just want to dump a box of Lego into an electric fan to mess it all up. But I'll pass on the m....., s'il vous plait. I've had enough steam cleaning for one lifetime.

Quote Originally Posted by Redneck Perfumisto View Post
    Cleanliness isn't next to godliness - godliness is a cheap imitation of minimal cleanliness. Sometimes I just want to dump a box of Lego into an electric fan to mess it all up. But I'll pass on the m....., s'il vous plait. I've had enough steam cleaning for one lifetime.
    Haven't laughed this hard reading something in a long while !!!!

All the Paris Hilton ones.

I actually like the Cuir de Russie one about his father's Bentley. It was non-instructive from a "guide" standpoint, but it was a really nice read. It turns out Cuir de Russie is not an easy one for me to find in the wild.

Redneck Perfumisto is also a good writer.
    Current frags (in order of preference):

1) GIT
    2) GV
    3) MR

Quote Originally Posted by luca turin View Post
    Haven't laughed this hard reading something in a long while !!!!
    Yeah, it's so much fun to make fun of those "anal-retentive" Japanese.

It might be worth remembering that when Europeans were dropping like flies because they couldn't figure out that living in your own sewage isn't good for you, the Japanese were quite cleverly using theirs as fertilizer.

Quote Originally Posted by Manos, The Hands of Fate View Post
    I actually like the Cuir de Russie one about his father's Bentley. It was non-instructive from a "guide" standpoint, but it was a really nice read. It turns out Cuir de Russie is not an easy one for me to find in the wild.

Redneck Perfumisto is also a good writer.
    I was going to say Cuir de Russie also, for the notes and for the mention of the Bentley, too. Just saw my first Bentley the other day in town, though I didn't get a chance to sniff it. It was parked at the local bank and people stopped to stare, one woman pulled her camera out and snapped a photo. Me I waved and said, "Hey! This is a PRIUS!!!"
    But she didn't seem to want a picture of my car.

I also love the review of Jicky, for the history of it. The review made me feel that I am wearing a piece of history every time I wear Jicky.
    "Like a lobster with a pearl in its claw, the beet held the jasmine firmly without crushing or obscuring it. Beet lifted jasmine, the way a bullnecked partner lifts a ballerina, and the pair came on stage on citron's fluty cue. As if jasmine were a collection of beautiful paintings, beet hung it in the galleries of the nose, insured it against fire or theft, threw a party to celebrate it. Citron mailed the invitations." Jitterbug Perfume by Tom Robbins p. 189

What I am loving right now: Shalimar vintage extrait, Chanel Bois des Iles, Chanel no. 22, Le Labo Iris 39, Guerlain Iris Ganache

Quote Originally Posted by rtamara41 View Post
    Me I waved and said, "Hey! This is a PRIUS!!!"
    But she didn't seem to want a picture of my car.
    Now THAT is actually charming and funny

(1) "The involuntarily hilarious story of ...poor Ellena trudging to a five-star-hotel in Egypt for inspiration accompanied by a high-level Hermes contingent." Un Jardin sur le Nil ***, p. 209 What a relief (!) after having struggled through the story twice (article, and book 'The imPerfect Scent'). Somehow I cannot separate my picture of some of these scenes from Peter Ustinov (Poirot) and the whole cast from 'Death on the Nile'.

(2) + (3) The most venomous so far:
    - Villoresi Uomo*** "The hard part about reviewing LV fragrances is finding one that is neither vile nor trivial." LT p.346
    - Villoresi Donna** "This, along with Uomo, was one of Villoresi's first fragrances, and it is hard to believe that on the basis of this he was encouraged to go on." TS p.145
    (Villoresi Piper Nigrum is one of the more remarkable omissions in The Guide. PN must have been deemed vile or trivial.)
    Last edited by narcus; 6th June 2008 at 06:48 AM.
    'Il mondo dei profumi è un universo senza limiti: una fraganza puo rievocare sensazioni, luoghi, persone o ancora condurre in uno spazio di nuove dimensioni emozionali' L. V.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by FloatingPoint View Post
    Yeah, it's so much fun to make fun of those "anal-retentive" Japanese.

It might be worth remembering that when Europeans were dropping like flies because they couldn't figure out that living in your own sewage isn't good for you, the Japanese were quite cleverly using theirs as fertilizer.
    Trust me, it's not meant badly at all. The wife and I have a lot of fun with this stuff. It works the other way, too. My wife and her friends have a wonderful time with a sort of faux horror about the crudity and insanity that is America. And Japanese wives complaining about their terrible husbands is almost as highly developed an art form as rakugo or ikebana. It's all fun, and almost a requirement for a successful mixed marriage. You admire and adopt the parts of the other person's culture that you can, and you laugh about the rest. And on some things, it's a little of both. At least, that's the way it works for us.

Ironically, I would love to retire in Japan, but she wants to stay here.

But then again, there's the day she told me I could no longer wear Kouros. A day which will live in infamy.

But then again, there's the day she told me I could no longer wear Kouros. A day which will live in infamy.
    Not sure I would have put it quite that way, partner.

I was underwhelmed by "The Guide", but I did stick ONE post-it note in the pages because it gave me a chuckle...

Iceberg Twice Men (Iceberg) * fruity woody
    Undestinguished demure fruity floral combined with a bellowing woody-amber note, reminiscent of the little girl in The Exorcist shouting in a deep male voice.

My favorite review, well one of the many I enjoyed is;

"A hilariously bad fragrance, in which a very powerful sweet air-freshener note is overlaid with a loud civet fart, adding up to a vividly cheap and unpleasant accord." LT on the scent Nuit Noir by Mona di Orio

This is priceless, the images it conjures up...goodness.

There are so many others, it would take twenty or more posts to list top faves, at least forty more for chucklers.
    The fact that humour can be found in some of these fragrant abominations, is such a credit to LT and TS.
    Quand on boit l'eau, il faut penser à sa source

Trust me, it's not meant badly at all. The wife and I have a lot of fun with this stuff. It works the other way, too. My wife and her friends have a wonderful time with a sort of faux horror about the crudity and insanity that is America. And Japanese wives complaining about their terrible husbands is almost as highly developed an art form as rakugo or ikebana. It's all fun, and almost a requirement for a successful mixed marriage. You admire and adopt the parts of the other person's culture that you can, and you laugh about the rest. And on some things, it's a little of both. At least, that's the way it works for us.

Ironically, I would love to retire in Japan, but she wants to stay here.

Oh, you have every right to complain about your wife. But you know as well as I do that not all Japanese are like that. In fact, in some things (sex, for example), they're probably the least anal-retentive people on the planet. Anybody who thinks that they are ought to go see a phallus festival or hang out in Shibuya for an afternoon. That'll learn 'em.

Your making fun of your wife is one thing. Turin's trotting out tired old ethnic stereotypes in his book is another. At some point I stopped reading the Penguin Guide to Classical CDs because the old tossers who write it seemed constitutionally incapable of describing a performance by Russian performers without using the terms "characteristic Slavic passion" or "Russian lustiness" or some idiotic variation thereof. I'm afraid Turin has a bit of that in him as well. I don't know, maybe it's a European thing ;-)

Turin's trotting out tired old ethnic stereotypes in his book is another.
    such as ?

such as ?
    Such as:

"Rose Ikebana

I always associate ikebana with other anal-retentive Japanese rituals, like combing sand, picking on trees smaller than you are, and taking forever to brew a cup of tea."

Implicit stereotype: Japanese are anal-retentive.

All art forms require discipline and precision. Is the concertmaster of the London Philharmonic "anal-retentive" because he plays a legato C-sharp quarter-note as marked instead of "cutting loose" with a staccato C eighth-note? You're certainly free to dislike the art forms (not "rituals") listed, but calling them "anal-retentive," besides winking at the stereotype just mentioned, is about as incisive a commentary as what a typical 16-year-old might say.

"Cuir Ottoman

Tyrannies always look better from afar, and the Ottoman Empire seems to be in vogue at the moment, chiefly because it brought administrative incompetence, baggy trousers, and sentimental music to regions that would otherwise have been solidly Germanic."

Implicit stereotypes: Germans are "solid," Middle Easterners are incompetent and have bad taste.

You forgot to mention that the Ottoman Empire also brought a relative measure of religious tolerance and provided a haven for Shephardic Jews fleeing the Inquisition. But more to the point, what the hell does ANY of this have to do with the fragrances in question--other than the fact that their silly "exotic" names are what set you off on these chains of associations?

Mr. Turin, I bought, and read, both THE EMPEROR OF SCENT and THE SECRET OF SCENT. I enjoyed both immensely and found myself rooting for you throughout each. I pre-ordered THE GUIDE long before it came out on the basis of the positive impression generated by those two books. This kind of gratuitous, Eurocentric belittlement may earn you a few cheap yucks, but it's boorish, not terribly witty, and diminishes you in the eyes of many. I'm sure you don't care what I think, but I'd sincerely rather NOT think of you as a boor, so I'm asking you, please, just to stop.

I'm sure you don't care what I think, but I'd sincerely rather NOT think of you as a boor, so I'm asking you, please, just to stop.
    Lighten up

Lighten up
    Grow up

Implicit stereotype: Japanese are anal-retentive.

Implicit stereotypes: Germans are "solid," Middle Easterners are incompetent and have bad taste.
    Surely there is enough actual racism in the world that it is unnecessary to torture syntax in an attempt to find unacceptable interpretations?

It takes quite a leap to misinterpret Mr. Turin's words as meaning "Japanese are anal-retentive." He called four traditions practiced by Japanese people anal-retentive, not the whole of Japanese tradition, and not the whole of the Japanese people. A person with a sense of humor might playfully call these activities anal-retentive, since they involve many strict rules. (Although I think he may mean obsessive-compulsive instead.) Such a person might playfully call the shaving rituals over at Badger and Blade anal-retentive as well.

The second example is even less convincing. Mr. Turin did not call Germans "solid." He wrote that the territory that the Ottoman Empire controlled would have been otherwise "solidly Germanic," i.e., that the territory would have been solidly in the German sphere of influence, which it would have been, considering its proximity to Germany. Mr. Turin is flat-out right that many people have a romantic, sentimental view of awful dictatorships: Defense Exhibit Number One would be Juan Peron's Argentina.

Grow up
    Been trying for years :-)

Why does every Turin thread turn out like this???

Anyhoo...I loved the review for Pi: "sustaining interest for about 3.14 seconds". Cheeky bugger...couldn't agree more.

Favourite serious review - Sarrasins. I've been raving (read - defending) this stuff since it came out. Glad to see someone else appreciates it.

Favourite review from TS - Rose Poivree, again, for confirming my suspiscions.

Well, now that this fun thread has been momentarily hijacked, for foolish purposes.

Here is another one of my happy quotes;

"...If you hate fragrance, your probably on your fourth bottle." LT in regard to Light Blue by D&G

Which in my opinion is kind, LB is one of the most grievous offenses to the olfactory system

imaginable; the fragrant equivalent of self-loathing.

I wish all of M. Turin's 'critics' would stop trying to have a 'pissing contest' with him. If everyone thinks they

can do a better job, go out and write your own damned book. My goodness, this whole thing just proves

that people will find the ammunition to cause conflict no matter what. Just enjoy the damned book!!!

Let this thread continue on in it's lighthearted manner.

Quote Originally Posted by Advocate View Post
    Surely there is enough actual racism in the world that it is unnecessary to torture syntax in an attempt to find unacceptable interpretations?

It takes quite a leap to misinterpret Mr. Turin's words as meaning "Japanese are anal-retentive." He called four traditions practiced by Japanese people anal-retentive, not the whole of Japanese tradition, and not the whole of the Japanese people. A person with a sense of humor might playfully call these activities anal-retentive, since they involve many strict rules. (Although I think he may mean obsessive-compulsive instead.) Such a person might playfully call the shaving rituals over at Badger and Blade anal-retentive as well.

The second example is even less convincing. Mr. Turin did not call Germans "solid." He wrote that the territory that the Ottoman Empire controlled would have been otherwise "solidly Germanic," i.e., that the territory would have been solidly in the German sphere of influence, which it would have been, considering its proximity to Germany. Mr. Turin is flat-out right that many people have a romantic, sentimental view of awful dictatorships: Defense Exhibit Number One would be Juan Peron's Argentina.
    Hinting at stereotypes is a way of maintaining "plausible deniability" in the face being called on it. The proximity of the stereotype to the people in question is enough to activate the stereotype. The associations are already known to the intended audience.

BTW, the territory in question wasn't Germanic because of its "proximity to Germany" (a nation that didn't exist at the time), but because it literally belonged to the (Germanic) Holy Roman Empire.

I never took issue with the point about romanticising tyranny.

As far as having a sense of humor goes, mockery is the lowest form thereof. Even a child of limited intelligence can indulge in it. For a more charming example of humor, check out rtamara41's post above: self-deprecating and absurd, it's good fun for everyone.

Oy...13 posts and you're already pulling out your "big words".

If you're into brawling, head over to POL. They love that there.

Quote Originally Posted by Brielle87 View Post
    I wish all of M. Turin's 'critics' would stop trying to have a 'pissing contest' with him. If everyone thinks they

can do a better job, go out and write your own damned book. My goodness, this whole thing just proves

that people will find the ammunition to cause conflict no matter what. Just enjoy the damned book!!!

Let this thread continue on in it's lighthearted manner.
    Agree whole-heartedly!

No. 5 was a review I enjoyed immensely (from both authors), as well as Troisieme Homme, and Yatagan especially for calling to mind Kaa the Snake which was IMHO a stroke of genius. Too bad now my bottle of Pour Homme has a certain Baloo the Bear feeling. I guess there are worse fates.

Oh, and Amarige was on the mark. I hid my wife's bottle. And I loved the Tresor review (ALL THIS...and brains too).
    Last edited by tfaust; 5th June 2008 at 08:22 PM.

As far as having a sense of humor goes, mockery is the lowest form thereof. Even a child of limited intelligence can indulge in it. For a more charming example of humor, check out rtamara41's post above: self-deprecating and absurd, it's good fun for everyone.
    You're not a alternative account of that user with the Roman name that liked to spread hot issues around by chance?

Quote Originally Posted by SirSlarty View Post
    You're not a alternative account of that user with the Roman name that liked to spread hot issues around by chance?
    No, I am not. I've been a member since December 2006 but only started posting recently since I didn't have the time before.

Look, I was content to let sleeping dogs lie since that seems to be the wish of others on this thread. I'm only responding because you asked me a direct question. That said, I'm not sure what the big deal is. Turin critiques perfumes, and I (and others) critique his book. That's the way life works. Where's the problem?

Floatingpoint, maybe you don't get the point ... this thread is about your favorite Luca Turin review, not a critique of his work. I am sure there's a thread on that floating around here somewhere.
    -

Quote Originally Posted by zztopp View Post
    Floatingpoint, maybe you don't get the point ... this thread is about your favorite Luca Turin review, not a critique of his work. I am sure there's a thread on that floating around here somewhere.
    And your own post keeps the thread on topic how, exactly?

My own favorites were actually by TS (wait, do I need to start a new thread for that?), particularly those for L'Air du Désert Marocain, Bois des Îles, and Le Troisième Homme. Her love for those fragrances came through so clearly, so movingly in fact, that I absolutely had to smell them or smell them again. My favorite LT review was for Timbuktu--highly informative, but also instructive in terms of how he went from indifference to profound admiration. A good lesson in why it's not good to jump to conclusions about a fragrance.

And your own post keeps the thread on topic how, exactly?
    My own post kept the thread on topic by preventing you from promulgating your off-topic rant. And it served well.
    -

Quote Originally Posted by zztopp View Post
    My own post kept the thread on topic by preventing you from promulgating your off-topic rant. And it served well.
    Prevent? My rant was already done.

Two posts and all you've done is antagonize me. No Luca Turin fave in sight. Nice to meet you, Pot. My name is Kettle.

I just read this one and liked it:

Héritage (Guerlain) **** woody amber

There was a brief period around 1990 when masculine fragrances tried on a bigger persona, akin to the faintly acromegalic men one sees in forties shirt advertisments: square chins, broad shoulders, big-boned but graceful hands, wavy hair, affable but remote like warriors on home leave, good-looking enough to be gay, only straight. In other words, England on steroids. Naturally, Joe Blow was far from ready for this evolutionary leap, and a string of great nineties fragrances missed their target by miles: Zino Davidoff, Globe, Troisième Homme, Insensé, Bel Ami. Héritage (1992), derived from Zino, was another failed try at making masculine fragrance stop dragging its knuckles on the ground: the fossil record shows no trace of a species intermediate between young buck and old fart, as if straight men aged without ever growing up and had no need of fragrances fit for heroes. Yet very few masculines are as instantly appealing as Héritage. I'ts huge brass chord spans several octaves from a woody-ambery top note to a powdery vanillic bass via a spicy center of great richness. The downside is tremendous radiance, bad news in a masculine. The curious thing is that fifteen years later, women are flocking to fragrances like Coco Mademoiselle and Narciso Rodriquez for Her that are basically Héritage in drag. If I were Guerlain, I would do a Chance with this one: delete the masculine, add a drop of jasmine, change the silly name (in French it means both "inheritance" and "heritage") and bring it back as Héritière. Too bad Paris Hilton (Heiress) thought of it first. LT

I always wondered why I liked it but rarely wore it. Turin helped me to clarify that: there's too much radiance.
    Last edited by Nigel Bergstrom OBE; 6th June 2008 at 02:15 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by narcus View Post
    (1) "The involuntarily hilarious story of ...poor Ellena trudging to a five-star-hotel in Egypt for inspiration accompanied by a high-level Hermes contingent." Un Jardin sur le Nil ***, p. 209 What a relief (!) after having struggled through the story twice (article, and book 'The imPerfect Scent'). Somehow I cannot separate my picture of some of these scenes from Peter Ustinov (Poirot) and the whole cast from 'Death on the Nile'.
    Burr 's NYT article on UJSLN 's grotesque creation process made me feel so bad for Ellena. Why Burr called this pathetic episode "intellectual"? Hermes should have had Lutens commission an egyptian perfume and Ellena execute it.

Blog Entries

Smile Re: what 's your favorite Luca Turin review?

Quote Originally Posted by Dimitri View Post
    I was underwhelmed by "The Guide", but I did stick ONE post-it note in the pages because it gave me a chuckle...

Iceberg Twice Men (Iceberg) * fruity woody
    Undistinguished demure fruity floral combined with a bellowing woody-amber note, reminiscent of the little girl in The Exorcist shouting in a deep male voice.
    God, that's a good one! How the heck I missed that I'll never know. Love it, love it, love it!!!

As F.P. so accurately put it (no pun intended), charming and funny.

PS (with a request for no further comments) - Upon rereading this thread, it's pretty clear that I derailed it, although unintentionally. My apologies to all. I'll go easy on the wife jokes. They play better at home.

Hinting at stereotypes is a way of maintaining "plausible deniability" in the face being called on it. The proximity of the stereotype to the people in question is enough to activate the stereotype. The associations are already known to the intended audience.
    Mr. Turin must be quite an effective racist when the lack of overt racism in his writing is evidence of how extremely racist it is.

Mr. Turin must be quite an effective racist when the lack of overt racism in his writing is evidence of how extremely racist it is.
    *Sigh* I was content to let this issue fade away, but if you insist...

For the record, I never said he was racist. I do not believe he is a racist, merely a casual Eurocentric chauvinist. It's a breezy, lighthearted sense of superiority rooted in culture, not race, and it's quite common in certain circles. It's a far cry from racism, but still kind of annoying.

Well, watching the death knell of this thread is almost as much fun as watching the destruction of Tabac Blond.
    It was immensely fun, and exciting while it lasted, now it is just sad, and bothersome to experience.

I will just keep enjoying the book; but it was fun sharing everyones thoughts; well most thoughts.

I do not believe he is a racist, merely a casual Eurocentric chauvinist.
    In many academic circles, Eurocentrism is considered a type of racism.

Well, watching the death knell of this thread is almost as much fun as watching the destruction of Tabac Blond.
    I feel your stern gaze in my direction, Brielle. I'm sorry if I disappointed you; your writing about fragrance is always enthusiastic and vivid. Moreover, I usually learn something new when you talk about your inside knowledge of the industry. Please accept my apologies.

In many academic circles, Eurocentrism is considered a type of racism.

Eurocentrism...ok well what about the Jewish sense of superiority for instance? last time I checked racism is alive and well everywhere. Luca Turin happens to be white european and educated, should he apologize for that?

Eurocentrism...ok well what about the Jewish sense of superiority for instance? last time I checked racism is alive and well everywhere. Luca Turin happens to be white european and educated, should he apologize for that?
    I am Jewish, and take such offense to what you just said, I am in amazement. Most of my

family was killed in the death camps scattered throughout Europe, and I have been the

victim of racism MANY times in my life.

I think this thread has gone so far off the mark that it is a disgrace. Shame on everyone,

and all should learn that 'silence is golden' .

This thread has become a disgrace.

And shame on you for your insensitivity, 6 million lives destroyed should command a little

more respect.

I am Jewish, and take such offense to what you just said, I am in amazement. Most of my

family was killed in the death camps scattered throughout Europe, and I have been the

victim of racism MANY times in my life.

I think this thread has gone so far off the mark that it is a disgrace. Shame on everyone,

and all should learn that 'silence is golden' .

This thread has become a disgrace.

And shame on you for your insensitivity, 6 million lives destroyed should command a little

more respect.

I know bashing europeans and christians is fine of course, nobody thinks much about it but there 's a different standart when it comes to the chosen people.
    well last time I checked 3, 000 children die everyday in the world for unacceptable reasons, and what about the occupied palestinians? does your sensitivity stop at the jewish community?

"This is the fragrance of a man you can't talk to for thirty seconds without checking you watch......" TS on Herrera Aqua
    'Il mondo dei profumi è un universo senza limiti: una fraganza puo rievocare sensazioni, luoghi, persone o ancora condurre in uno spazio di nuove dimensioni emozionali' L. V.

OK, enough.

If you want to scratch each other's eyes out, do it somewhere else.

I pay my subscription to this site to read about and discuss perfume, not politics.

I started reading this thread because I find Dr Turin's turns of phrase very colourful and entertaining and I haven't been able to get hold of the new book with Tania Sanchez because it hasn't been released in the UK yet.

I was hoping to enjoy some of his reviews - such as my previous favourite that says thanks to Rive Gauche we now know what the Goddess Diana's bath soap smelled like.

Now, please keep this on-thread and take your quarreling elsewhere.
    "A woman who doesn't wear perfume has no future." Coco Chanel

I'm streamlining my collection http://community.basenotes.net/showt...29#post1219729

Man, who cares anymore? Someone's complaining about racism whilst coming up with ageist comments:
    ...is about as incisive a commentary as what a typical 16-year-old might say.
    Just grow a thicker skin, it doesn't matter. Everyone is going to get discrimination sometime in their lifetime, whether it's racism, sexism, ageism, etc. I'm so surprised this thread hasn't been locked.

Anyway, more on topic....

I can't wait for The Guide to get to Australia - I want in! Rather disappointed Champs Elysees was only 1 star

(By the way, is this Luca Turin genuine? If so I'm starstruck! )
    Last edited by jillsy; 7th June 2008 at 11:08 AM.

Maybe this will cheer you up a bit, Wordbird: "If this is a bergamot, I'm a phallus impudicus... Pleasures written in six-point type." (LT on Bergamote 22, Le Labo)

(p.s. You can easily get your copy of The Guide in Switzerland, by the way.)
    Last edited by narcus; 7th June 2008 at 12:00 PM.

casual Eurocentric chauvinist
    Great name for a haircut

I got my US copy through amazon UK at a good price.

Quote Originally Posted by Wordbird View Post
    OK, enough.

If you want to scratch each other's eyes out, do it somewhere else.

I pay my subscription to this site to read about and discuss perfume, not politics.

I started reading this thread because I find Dr Turin's turns of phrase very colourful and entertaining and I haven't been able to get hold of the new book with Tania Sanchez because it hasn't been released in the UK yet.

I was hoping to enjoy some of his reviews - such as my previous favourite that says thanks to Rive Gauche we now know what the Goddess Diana's bath soap smelled like.

Now, please keep this on-thread and take your quarreling elsewhere.
    My Wardrobe
    II est de forts parfums pour qui toute matière/Est poreuse. On dirait qu'ils pénètrent le verre.

I will not be included in the eye-scratching out comment; I quoted and replied because it was a comment out of left field. As for keeping on topic, I have been trying to navigate this back to topic many times. I will not though allow someone to use this as their viewpoint manifesto.

I will say in ending my input on this site for a while, my level of disgust being that high,
    I think the wit of this book is priceless. Whether one is familiar with all of the fragrances or not, it is as entertaining as it comes.

Good luck to all...cheers.

I know bashing europeans and christians is fine of course, nobody thinks much about it but there 's a different standart when it comes to the chosen people.
    well last time I checked 3, 000 children die everyday in the world for unacceptable reasons, and what about the occupied palestinians? does your sensitivity stop at the jewish community?

Suffering of any type, to any group, any person is a heartbreaking thing. My heart breaks for all the peoples of this world who are being persecuted. You know me not, and you can not say anything in regard to my sensitivity.

For the sake of all the people who have enjoyed this thread, as I have, do not feel the need to reply. I think you should allow everyone to enjoy the wit of the book, and the joy of sharing it. As I plan to henceforth.

Well...............going back to the topic. I was really entertained reading some of these reviews of the scents. I do have to get the book.

Ditto.

Nice shoes in your avatar!

Quote Originally Posted by narcus View Post
    Maybe this will cheer you up a bit, Wordbird: "If this is a bergamot, I'm a phallus impudicus... Pleasures written in six-point type." (LT on Bergamote 22, Le Labo)

(p.s. You can easily get your copy of The Guide in Switzerland, by the way.)
    Good one, Narcus!
    My thanks to you and The_Good_Life for tips on where to get the book. I should have looked when I was in the big English bookshop on Bahnhoffstrasse the other week. Doh! Anyway, we seem to have solved the problem as a kind Noter has offered to sell me his copy.

Here's a beut from The Emperor of Scent about Trssardi Python:
    "The absurdly named Python is a poverty-stricken sweet-powdery affair, a very distant relative of the wonderful Habanita (Molinard). It belongs in a tree-shaped diffuser dangling form the rearview mirror of a Moscow taxi."
    "A woman who doesn't wear perfume has no future." Coco Chanel

I'm streamlining my collection http://community.basenotes.net/showt...29#post1219729

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Wordbird View Post
    Here's a beut from The Emperor of Scent about Trssardi Python:
    "The absurdly named Python is a poverty-stricken sweet-powdery affair, a very distant relative of the wonderful Habanita (Molinard). It belongs in a tree-shaped diffuser dangling form the rearview mirror of a Moscow taxi."
    LOL! That one didn't make it into the guide. Hmmm... I don't know if that's a good thing or not! The lone BN review (http://www.basenotes.net/ID10213208.html) does contain the words "recoiled in horror"... I think that should be a word to the wise. Although the base notes were sufficiently redeeming to get a thumbs up.

I think this is one snake that won't be finding its way into my wife's wardrobe. But I do know a guy who just loves the Python programming language. It might make a good paperweight. Especially in the EDT.