Code of Conduct

Thread: In search of...

Default In search of...

i have sampled hundreds upon hundreds of fragrances. All I am left with the desire to buy a full bottle of are as follows

D'Orsay - Le Dandy
    Frapin - 1270

Things I was interested enough to want to get decants are as follows:

Serge Lutens - Gris Clair
    Lubin - Idole de Lubin
    Ava Luxe - Green Tea
    Ava Luxe - Wild Blackberry Musk
    Frederic Malle - Musc Ravageur
    Maitre Parfuemer et Gantier - Bahiana
    Comme des Garcons - Red Carnation
    Parfums de Nicolai - Cologne Sologne

I have not been to fond of the multiple Creed scents I have sampled or Bond No. 9. Most of the L'Artisan fragrances have not impressed me enough and if they had their longetivity was too poor to persue. I am not a fan of predominatly vetiver, cedar, ambergris, or cumin fragrances. I have also been known to not be very fond of aquatic notes or church incense notes (Did not enjoy any of the CDG incense line).

I am fond of fragrances with fruit notes as long as they are not sour, Green/herbal fragrances. I am also a fan of spicy fragrances as long as they are not in the vein of Lorenzo Villoresi - Spezie.

I'm looking for not only a great fragrance, but a wearable one.
    Does anyone have any reccomendations?
    Last edited by matreal; 8th August 2007 at 06:41 AM.

Default Re: In search of...

give it try for Frederic Malle French Lover / Bois d´Orage

I wasn't all that fond of French Lover. Thanks for the suggestion though. Also, after using the rest of my Idole de Lubin decant, I am not impressed enough topersue it as a purchase.

Have you tried Malle's Vetiver Extraordinaire?

"I am not a fan of predominatly vetiver, cedar, ambergris, or cumin fragrances."

That pretty much rules out most vetiver and Creed fragrances.

"I am fond of fragrances with fruit notes as long as they are not sour, Green/herbal fragrances."

Since you like Bahiana, I would recommend Creed Virgin Island Water. I would recommend Diptyque Philosykos for a great fig fragrance but it becomes green after a while.

You also like spicy fragrances - how about Bond no. 9 HOT Always (cinnamon), Creed Original Santal (spicy wood), YSL Live Jazz (citrus + coriander)

Many Serge Lutens fragrances are quite fruity and spicy .. Arabie, Rahat Lakhoum, and Chergui are loaded with dates, figs, benzoin and spices.
    Last edited by zztopp; 8th August 2007 at 05:48 PM.
    -

From your list, it is hard to tell what criteria you are applying in your search, except that they are obviously quite hard to meet. Do you not like L'Artisan for their compositions or for their lightness? Which Creeds exactly have you tried - the more modern ones such as Millésime, SMW, Erolfa, Himalaya? Or did you also dislike Baie de Genievre, Angelique Encens, Royal English Leather? Disliking vetiver, ambergris and cedar does of course eliminate quite a few contenders. Are you looking for a particular style (chypre, fougere, gourmand), a particular purpose or an all-round fragrance?

Anyway, if you haven't tried these, I would check out:
    Serge Lutens: Douce Amère, Daim Blond, Santal de Mysore, Arabie
    Penhaligon's: Hammam Bouquet, Castile
    Crown Sandringham
    Creed: Acier Aluminium, Orange Spice, Baie de Genievre, Royal Delight, Santal Imperial, Royal English Leather,
    Diptyque: Philosykos
    Burberry London for Men
    Malle, Noir Epices
    Aramis Havana
    d'Orsay: Arome 3, Etiquette Bleue
    Caron ph, Yatagan
    mat; very male
    CSP Écume de Thé
    Villoresi: Sandalo
    Etro Patchouly
    Floris:Sandalwood
    Acqua di Parma
    Roger & Gallet: Extra Vieille
    L'Occitane:L'Oranger Néroli
    Royall Spice
    Desprez Versailles pour homme
    Patou pour homme
    Domenico Caraceni
    Czeck & Speake No. 88
    My Wardrobe
    II est de forts parfums pour qui toute matière/Est poreuse. On dirait qu'ils pénètrent le verre.

Whoops, my bad! Yes, do try Serge Lutens - there'll definitely be a few that you'll like.

I have tryed the following Creeds:

Royal English Leather
    Angelique Encens
    Santal Imperial
    Green Irish Tweed
    Silver Mountain Water
    Himalaya
    Millisime Imperial
    Royal Water
    Green Valley
    Neroli Sauvage
    Erolfa
    Original Vetiver
    Virgin Island Waters
    Jasmin Impeatrice Eugenie
    Original Santal

The problem with most of these were that the top and middle notes were enjoyable but the base notes completely ruined the frags for me. They all smelt much better on test strips as well than on me. Of the few that didn't turn sour on me and were still enjoyable was

Original Santal
    Jasmine Impeatrice

Virgin Island Waters coconut note was too cloying. I would not Purchase Jasmine Impeatrice and I'm on the fence with Original Santal. It is pleasant but just did not give me that WOW factor I was looking for. Although I am probably going to retest so I can put my mind at ease.

I have practically tested the entire Diptyque line and found nothing. Although I found Philosykos pleasant, it was just a bit too light for me.

I would have loved the L'Artisan line if it had not been for the fragrances being very light and fleeting.

Of the Bond No. 9 frags I have tested as follows:
    Chez Bond
    Gramercy Park
    New Haarlem
    Nouveau Bowery
    Riverside Drive
    Little Italy
    West Broadway
    Wall Street
    Chinatown
    Bleecker Street
    Hamptons
    Fire Island
    Coney Island
    Bryant Park
    Saks Fifth Ave for Him
    and The Scent of Peace

A majority of these just went sour on me. If not that, then they simply failed to move me. My favorite of the bunch was the scent of peace but a half hour after applying it, I couldn't even smell it no matter how close to my wrist I was getting. It was virtually undetectable.

I have tested a descent amount of Malles frags and the two that stood out so far were Musc Ravaguer (although I need to retest to convince myself that I didn't let the hype go to my head) and En Pessant. En Pessant had it's off days and on days with me. I think I have to be outside the whole day in order to enjoy it. I need to revisit it just to make sure.

Of the Serge Lutens frags I have tested:
    Un Lys
    Muscs Koublai Khan
    Arabie
    Douce Amere
    A La Nuit
    Santal Blan
    Vetiver Oriental
    Daim Blond
    Un Cedre
    Gris Clair

This has been the line that I have overall enjoyed the most of the 5. (I have tested a whole lot more than 5 fragrance lines). It's just that of the ones I have tested, I can't recall any of them causing my nose to be stuck to my wrist for the day. Gris Clair was the only one of them that was close.

Now don't get me wrong. I have a strong appreciation for perfumery as an art. I may seem picky but I am just reluctant to have a wardrobe of 80 frags that I won't ever manage to finish before they go bad. I am simply holding the highest of standards when it comes to my expenses as I have learned to budget my money. A lot of fragrances I am still interested in testing I can't seem to find samples of. I have searched all of the sample sites I know of and even some decant/sample suppliers off of perfume posse.
    --------------------------------------
    Quote Originally Posted by zztopp View Post
    "I am not a fan of predominatly vetiver, cedar, ambergris, or cumin fragrances."

That pretty much rules out most vetiver and Creed fragrances.

"I am fond of fragrances with fruit notes as long as they are not sour, Green/herbal fragrances."

Since you like Bahiana, I would recommend Creed Virgin Island Water. I would recommend Diptyque Philosykos for a great fig fragrance but it becomes green after a while.

You also like spicy fragrances - how about Bond no. 9 HOT Always (cinnamon), Creed Original Santal (spicy wood), YSL Live Jazz (citrus + coriander)

Many Serge Lutens fragrances are quite fruity and spicy .. Arabie, Rahat Lakhoum, and Chergui are loaded with dates, figs, benzoin and spices.
    Some of these are on the to sample list. Now I'll be more inclined to move them first in line to order samples of
    Last edited by matreal; 8th August 2007 at 09:19 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

I know where you're coming from. I've been trying to keep my collection below 20 and have managed to succeed (I now have 15 core fragrances in my collection). Personally, I think you're just being sensible and there's nothing wrong with that!

I think you should give Arabie another go - it took me months to get it and now it's one of my all-time favourites. Also, give Chergui a go too - I think you'll like it. Santal de Mysore is another brilliant one as well (but not so easy to obtain). There's many great SL scents you haven't tried, so please continue investigating them (it's also my favourite house - just look in my wardrobe).

As for decants and samples, have you tried going through fellow Basenoters, via this link? Gerald's got a vast number of samples/decants on offer:

http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?t=7

Lastly, I totally agree with you about Bond No.9 and Creed.
    Last edited by Trebor; 8th August 2007 at 09:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Trebor View Post
    I know where you're coming from. I've been trying to keep my collection below 20 and have managed to succeed (I now have 15 core fragrances in my collection). Personally, I think you're just being sensible and there's nothing wrong with that!

I think you should give Arabie another go - it took me months to get it and now it's one of my all-time favourites. Also, give Chergui a go too - I think you'll like it. Santal de Mysore is another brilliant one as well (but not so easy to obtain). There's many great SL scents you haven't tried, so please continue investigating them (it's also my favourite house - just look in my wardrobe).

As for decants and samples, have you tried going through fellow Basenoters, via this link? Gerald's got a vast number of samples/decants on offer:

http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?t=7

Lastly, I totally agree with you about Bond No.9 and Creed.
    Arabie and me have an interesting relationship. I have my on and off days with it like En Passant. I have been testing it in the middle of summer however in my room with the Air Condition on. I have the slightest suspicion that I will love it when fall comes around. Frapin was probably the first fragrance that I had smelt that I felt I could never do without. I can't wait to let it shine when the Fall months come.

Thank you very much for the recommendations and the link. I was completely unaware of that forum so a lot of my problems are now solved! As for the Bond No. 9 and Creed, I'm glad someone finally gets me. I feel out of place on these forums where Creed fragrances run rampant.
    Last edited by matreal; 8th August 2007 at 09:39 PM.

Basenotes Institution

As the_good_life suggested, please try Czech & Speake No. 88. It's brilliant.

No problem - that's what we're here for!

SL scents also work well in warm weather, so you don't need to wait for cooler weather. Just make sure you wear them in a non-air conditioned environment - air conditioning usually prevents scents from blossoming.

I've been very eager to try No. 88 so I will definatly look into that. As for the AC, I always make sure to shut it off when testing scents.

Hello,

What type of fruity fragrances do you like? Peachy, melony, figgy, berry like or different?
    Maybe it is not as exclusive as you are looking for, but I think maybe you might like Versace Man. To me it smells like fruity-spicey. It reminds me some of the shops in Egyptian Bazaar in Istanbul where they sell dried fruits, herbs and spices. It smells more fruity then spicey to me.