Code of Conduct

Default Can anyone tell me what this is?

I have only a basic knowledge of feminine fragrances, and I'm hoping that one (or several) of you ladies (or gentlemen) can help me out.

I've bought several feminine frags for my own use, including Chanel No. 19, Van Cleef and Arpels First, Caron French Can Can, Caron Tabac Blond, Hermes Amazone, and Nikos Sculpture.

There's a certain quality in these, especially in the first three, that I like very much. I can only describe it as a soft, light, elegant, grassy, breezy quality. It's something that I've never found in a masculine fragrance.

Is my description enough for you to go on? I'm not sure what else I can add to it. The words breezy and grassy come to mind first, then the others. It's not only a smell, but a texture, a feel.

If you can understand what I'm getting at, can you tell me what elements are used to create this quality? Do you have any idea why no masculine fragrances have this quality? Also, can you recommend any other feminine scents that have similar characteristics? Chanel No. 22 is one that I'm already interested in.

Thanks!

noggs

Lean in closer, dear
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Can anyone tell me what this is?

What a fabulous question. There are finer minds/noses here who will postulate better responses than I could. I'd also like to hear the answer to the flip side of that question. Why do most men's fragrances have that "hard" smell? Viva la unisex frags!
    In a world where 6 million people are added each month, every landscape matters.

Chanel No 22 is more in the same vein as Caron Pour Un Homme. Replace Homme's lavender with soft white flowers & a touch of incense though. No 22 is soft, vanillic and creamy.
    Halston's Catalyst is something you might like. It reminds me of the parfum form of No 19, it has a very nice woody/amber drydown.
    Have you tried Chanel's Cristalle in the EDT? It has a fantastic topnote of crushed grass blades. The EDP is very different, much more fruity.

From your description of the characteristics of the scent, and from the lists of notes for these individual perfumes, it is my guess that you are falling for a combination of this:

iris/orris or violet/daffodil (cool, light floral) + vetiver + musk or amber or vanilla

What would happen is that the iris or violet or daffodil would provide a floral or plantlike note that is a bit green, somewhat powdery, cool, light and wet. Then the vetiver would give it some airy, completely dry woodiness. And it would be finished off with feminine sweetness by the base, the strength of which would be ligher and airer (more diffusive) if it were musk, more heavy and clinging if it were amber, and more edible and delicious if it were vanilla.

It's a good combination. You would be a great candidate for a bespoke fragrance, which is a specially-made (but expensive) perfume that is formulated just for you.

I wonder how you would fare with Guerlain Chant d'Aromes or Chamade.
    Last edited by purplebird7; 9th August 2007 at 02:55 PM.

Riviera dei Fiori near Sanremo and Alassio

19 chanel: Top note : Galbanum, Hyacinth, Neroli, Bergamot

Middle note : Jasmine, Rose, Lily of the valley, Orris

Base note : Vetiver, Sandal, Leather, Musk

FIRST:Top note : Bergamot, Mandarin, Blackcurrant, Aldehydes

Middle note : Jasmine, Rose, Ylang-Ylang, Hyacinth

Base note : Vetiver, Vanilla, Amber, Civet

AMAZONE:

Top: : Narcissus, Galbanum, Daffodil, Tuberose

Middle : Jasmine, Cassis buds, Peach, Mandarin

Base : Sandalwood, Cedar, Vetiver, Amber

SCULPTURE
    Top note : Peach, Freesia, Tarragon, Lemon

Middle note : Ylang-Ylang, Orris, Cyclamen, Lily of the valley

Base note : Vanilla, Sandal, Cedar, Benzoin

Tabac Blond:
    leather, carnation, linden, iris, vetiver, ylang ylang, cedar, patchouli, vanilla, amber, musk

French Can-Can
    jasmine, lilac, violet, lily of the valley, rose, orange blossom, patchouli, iris, sandalwood, amber, oakmoss

In my opinion, you can try the old Vent Vert, with green notes galbanum & hyacinth

I found it chez Sarah's Perfumes
    A, quales ego mane rosas procedere vidi!
    Nascebantur adhuc neque erat par omnibus aetas.

Thanks, everybody!

I'll check out the fragrances you all recommended.

In choosing feminine fragrances to wear myself I pretty much lean towards the lighter, greener types or the leathery or animalic types. I do like the floral ones, but would rather smell them on a woman than on myself. I also like civet as an element in men's fragrances and I'm eager to see what some of the feminine versions are like.

Speaking of that grassy, breezy quality, I find it even in Tabac Blond. Yes, it has the tobacco and leather smells, but the overall texture is so light and elegant and smooth compared to any men's leather scent.

It's not that I don't like typical mens' fragrances. I have about 200 of them in my collection. And quite a few of those are the '80s powerhouse scents, which I like. But this lighter, silkier, fresher aspect of some feminine fragrances has definitely won me over.

It would certainly be interesting to design a bespoke fragrance which blended this light, grassy texture I like so much with more traditional elements of men's fragrances. I do agree with the statement that many men's fragrances are "hard" in texture compared with their feminine counterparts. It makes sense in a way, but why limit yourself?

I do tend to like the men's frags with a soft powdery feel, which may help explain why I'm so attracted to certain feminine scents with similar characteristics. Chanel Pour Monsieur is one of my favorites, and although it isn't grassy or breezy, it is at least soft and very smooth, more like a feminine fragrance than are many mens' fragrances.

Thanks again, and any more recommendations will certainly be investigated!

noggs

When I read your post I wondered if you were just reacting to the scent of Jasmine and Rose not encumbered by the heavy (often musky) base notes men's fragrances always seem to have. But I'm not an expert on men's scents at all, and Purplebird's explanation seems to make sense to me too.

yes you might like the purity of the fragrance notes without the musky notes often added to mens or the soapy notes