Code of Conduct

Default After wearing MI ... Top Note of Himalaya Smell bad

Hi Creed Lovers .....
    I need your suggestions : I have 3 frags that I rotates: Creed Himalaya, Creed MI, and Bulgari Pour Homme Soir. I rotate Himalaya and MI more frequently until one day I notice something very strange :
    - After wearing MI for one full day at work (yes....it lasts long on me) and taking a shower, I sprayed Himalaya before going for dinner and guess what ... the top notes of Himalaya smelt so bad. Peppery snow smell was no longer there, instead it smelt like strong salty powder that is very hard to describe. I had no time to wash off and just went for dinner. I noticed there were no strange reactions from people around me that day so I thought it was only my nose. However, after 1 or 2 hour of application, the mid and base note came out normally and the fault smell was no longer there (it's one of the reasons I love Himalaya, the slight powdery basenote is unique and subtle) .
    - Since I was so curious, at home I sprayed MI on my left wrist and Himalaya on the other, and it happened again.... after sniffing MI, faulty Himalaya smell came out again and it was very salty.
    - However, the next morning when I applied Himalaya for office wear, the top note was back to normal and the fault smell was no longer there. After that, I never wear Himalaya after wearing MI whole day.

Does it happen to you as well or it's just my nose which is to sensitive ?
    Thanks in advance.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: After wearing MI ... Top Note of Himalaya Smell bad

I have both. I guess I will have to test them the way you did and see what happens. Will come back to report if I don't forget this.
    Current Top 5

1. Creed Aventus
    2. A*Men Pure Malt
    3. L'instant Extreme
    4. Nasomatto Duro
    5. CDG - Kyoto

Post Thanks / Like

I always use one fragrance a day or after shower...and i got 6 Creed bottles...and it never happens...maybe it´s your chemistry by these two...

Post Thanks / Like

Himalaya has always been consistent for me, but I have had a little variation with MI from time to time. Sometimes I'll pickup a metallic smell in the top notes of MI, but when I do it fades pretty quickly.

Best regards,
    Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Mikey Q View Post
    Himalaya has always been consistent for me, but I have had a little variation with MI from time to time. Sometimes I'll pickup a metallic smell in the top notes of MI, but when I do it fades pretty quickly.

Best regards,
    Mike

It's kinda weird smell, in the sense that it's salty and smoky (add salt to the smoky smell of Channel Platinum egoiste, which is not my taste). It only happens after wearing MI all day or after snifing top note of MI. If I only wear Himalaya all day long, I have no problem smelling the top note exactly the way it is.

Post Thanks / Like

I don't own either, but welcome soerya!
    I'm a colognosaurus. Rawr!

Quote Originally Posted by jrd4t View Post
    I don't own either, but welcome soerya!
    Thanks ... I've been "passive" member since 2006 maybe Get a lot of valuable info from Basenoters (especialy those Creed Supporters) here, until one day I found that funny problem

Post Thanks / Like

Oh yeah.. my rusty detective skills missed the Join Date

Post Thanks / Like

Here's an interesting experiment : Try layering them and see what your nose picks out.
    -

Himalaya is a frustrating fragrance for me as well. It never smells the same two days in a row. Sometimes I get the snow/fruit/pepper and sometimes I get the smell of incense and plastic houseplants.

Back when I bought my bottle, I was convinced that it was bad because it didn't smell just like a sample I had gotten from another basenoter-- but I got a bunch of other samples from others and even went to Neiman Marcus and tried their Himalaya... It turns out that my bottle was fine. It's just a fickle scent that has like ten faces and you never know which one it's going to wear on a certain day. MI even has a few different moods as well-- sometimes I get the bright aquatic notes, and sometimes I get a suede-like note from MI.

While I love Himalaya and MI may be the best smelling fragrance I've ever smelled-- I think I prefer Silver Mountain Water and Erolfa, because they smell more consistent from beginning to end.

Post Thanks / Like

Is your bottle of himalaya low? My GIT did the same thing to me when I was down at the bottom of the bottle. It took a different turn on the top notes. I even keep it in a mini fridge with the rest of my frags. When I bought a new bottle, it was back to the normal top notes that I love.

Post Thanks / Like

Nah, yer nuts!

I just think they're plenty different. I really don't think Himalaya works well in the hot weather, and to follow the refreshing MI with it, might make it seem dull, since your nose is kind of on a different frequency.

Wait till fall and winter roll around, and then savor Himalaya's awesomeness.
    Lately I've been wearing:
    Windsor, Bois de Santal, Original Santal, Elixir, Douro, Endymion, Reflection, Arcus, Marwah

Quote Originally Posted by Scentronic View Post
    Nah, yer nuts!

I just think they're plenty different. I really don't think Himalaya works well in the hot weather, and to follow the refreshing MI with it, might make it seem dull, since your nose is kind of on a different frequency.

Wait till fall and winter roll around, and then savor Himalaya's awesomeness.
    I live in tropical country with two seasons, summer and rainy seasons. I do agree with u, when temperature raises, Himalaya lose its characteristic, it smell just like sweet powder. Fortunately, most of the time I stay inside air-con room and it works really well. MI is the opposite, it never fades during hot wheather. When temperature raises, it smells like delicious baked grapefruit for me and inside air-con room, it transforms into airy, light, and radiant smell, still delicious.
    Probably these two are like Yin and Yang can't be mixed or combined, and IMHO ... MI is far more dominant.

Thinking of buying Bond no 9 Wall Street..... do you think it works well in hot weather ?
    --------------------------------------
    Quote Originally Posted by The Duke View Post
    Is your bottle of himalaya low? My GIT did the same thing to me when I was down at the bottom of the bottle. It took a different turn on the top notes. I even keep it in a mini fridge with the rest of my frags. When I bought a new bottle, it was back to the normal top notes that I love.
    I bought 120ml of Himalaya and roughly it's still 60% full now. I don't think it's spoilt since i always keep them properly. Probably it's just my nose and hot weather
    Quote Originally Posted by Indie_Guy View Post
    Himalaya is a frustrating fragrance for me as well. It never smells the same two days in a row. Sometimes I get the snow/fruit/pepper and sometimes I get the smell of incense and plastic houseplants.

Back when I bought my bottle, I was convinced that it was bad because it didn't smell just like a sample I had gotten from another basenoter-- but I got a bunch of other samples from others and even went to Neiman Marcus and tried their Himalaya... It turns out that my bottle was fine. It's just a fickle scent that has like ten faces and you never know which one it's going to wear on a certain day. MI even has a few different moods as well-- sometimes I get the bright aquatic notes, and sometimes I get a suede-like note from MI.

While I love Himalaya and MI may be the best smelling fragrance I've ever smelled-- I think I prefer Silver Mountain Water and Erolfa, because they smell more consistent from beginning to end.
    Yes... that's it........... after sniffing MI, top note of Himalaya smell like incense (but a bit salty).... salty version of platinum egoiste.
    Last edited by soerya; 10th August 2007 at 01:51 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Post Thanks / Like

About your question to buy Wall Street... I'm wearing it today, and wore it last night. I got lots of compliments from the special girl and love it myself. However, as many will attest to, it's extremely close to MI... a touch more body to it and a little crisper, but very similar.

If I were you, I'd sample it first and decide if the purchase was justifiable.

To my nose Wall St. is more masculine than MI. A little more brash, less smooth...and long lasting. I tried to dislike Wall St. for the longest time, but I finally gave in and bought a 1.7 oz bottle.

About your question to buy Wall Street... I'm wearing it today, and wore it last night. I got lots of compliments from the special girl and love it myself. However, as many will attest to, it's extremely close to MI... a touch more body to it and a little crisper, but very similar.

Quote Originally Posted by Jock_With_Scents View Post
    To my nose Wall St. is more masculine than MI. A little more brash, less smooth...and long lasting. I tried to dislike Wall St. for the longest time, but I finally gave in and bought a 1.7 oz bottle.
    Thanks jrd4t and Jock_With_Scents for the info, I'm going to sample it soon before buying. It sounds like it's a great frag similar to MI
    Last edited by soerya; 11th August 2007 at 03:59 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

jrd4t, thanks a lot .....I got my Wall street. It's a blind buy and only follow your descriptions IMHO, I like it more than MI since it's not that sweet, I can smell the cucumber note. It's great, it's very great for my taste. It lasts very long, I must say ... it's technologically precise fragrance.

Post Thanks / Like

You know, it might have something to do with your nose just getting used to the sweet smoothness of the MI all day, then being shocked by some more intense notes in the top of Himalaya. Something similar happened to me with Allure and Egoiste. I wore Allure all day. It is very smooth and sweet, but not all that interesting, IMO. Then I showered and put on some Egoiste. HOLY TANGERINE ALDEHYDE PEPPER MADNESS!!! I never looked at it quite the same again.
    "It's not what you look like when you're doing what you're doing; it's what you're doing when you're doing what you look like you're doing."