Code of Conduct
    Basenotes Institution

Default New Luca Turin column in NZZ Folio August 7, 07

Turin tests Etat Libre D'Orange...and lives.

http://www.nzzfolio.ch/www/d80bd71b-...c4ec6f98a.aspx

Off-Scenter

Default Re: New Luca Turin column in NZZ Folio August 7, 07

Actually, I just tested a bunch of their scents, and even liked a couple, despite the idiotic names and marketing. Then again, are Creed's or Amouage's marketing campaigns any less ridiculous?

Mike, Sweetheart, Many thanks - ONE MORE TIME - for bringing us the latest news!!

While I am only slowly coming to the place where I don't quake before The Experts - and trusting my own nose to tell me what is good on and for me - it's still nice to be - um - validated. I fell for the Orange State early on - especially Putain des Palaces (by the way - does Luca ever say which two he doesn't consider top notch??) and think their "in your face" salaciousness is spot on in terms of their target market. Which isn't me but they got me anyway.
    "The world is ruled by letting things take their course. It cannot be ruled by interfering." Lao Tze

Basenotes Institution

I must admit, I wrote them off also when I heard the names and saw the marketing... similarly to Turin. Plus, I think the fact that most places in Miami don't stock them, I never came in contact with them, so I never had a chance to prove my assumptions wrong.

A Basenoter (I think it was quarryjoy) sent me a vial of Je Suis un Homme - so atleast I'll get to try that one.

Secretions Magnigiques sounds positively wretched. Which, now that I'm thinking of it, might appeal to the dark side of my scent tastes (Cumming, Odeur 71, Film Noir, Garage...).

Off-Scenter

Quote Originally Posted by Taolady View Post
    Mike, Sweetheart, Many thanks - ONE MORE TIME - for bringing us the latest news!!

While I am only slowly coming to the place where I don't quake before The Experts - and trusting my own nose to tell me what is good on and for me - it's still nice to be - um - validated. I fell for the Orange State early on - especially Putain des Palaces (by the way - does Luca ever say which two he doesn't consider top notch??) and think their "in your face" salaciousness is spot on in terms of their target market. Which isn't me but they got me anyway.
    Given the insight you show in your reviews and comments, you don't need to quake before anybody. In the end you're only going to be comfortable wearing what appeals to you, no matter what the critics say. I won't wear praised-to the-stars-by-experts scents like Lonestar Memories and Timbuktu, because one smells like Slim Jims on me and the other like roasted elephant dung.

As for Etat Libre, I think Vierges & Toreros is really quite special, though Eloge du Traitre is unoriginal and Nombril Immense (their best name!) is not my style.

I hope Je Suis un Homme lasts better for you than it did for me, Mike. I lost all trace of it within fifteen minutes!
    Last edited by Off-Scenter; 14th August 2007 at 04:19 AM.

Thanks a lot for the link!

Riviera dei Fiori near Sanremo and Alassio

Smile Re: New Luca Turin column in NZZ Folio August 7, 07

Mike!!!!
    Many Thanks!!!!

A, quales ego mane rosas procedere vidi!
    Nascebantur adhuc neque erat par omnibus aetas.