Code of Conduct
    Basenotes Institution

Default Play by Comme des Garcons - a 'Clockwork' orange

OK, so lets get the obvious out of the way: I love many CdG fragrances so I bought this blind. I hated the name (Play? Does that make me a 'Play'-er?), but then I heard that it was named after a specific 'line' in the Comme des Garcons fashion clothing division that's also named Play, so then I let it go. Yes, even I'll admit, CdG got stupid lazy and decided to use the exact same bottle as Odeur 53, for Play (link to photo here: http://www.luckyscent.com/shop/detai...1604&section=1 ). And, yes the spooky heart shaped face looks creepy and ridiculous at the same time. Oh yeah and it only comes in one annoying large 3.3 oz bottle. [sigh]

My thoughts:

1. I had heard the opening orange notes were chemical sweet like 'Tang'. I LOVE the smell of Tang, so I expected to be greeted by this smell upon first application. Um....no Tang. Intead, I did get a mild alcohol-citrus note (imagine the smell of an cosmpolitan) at the beginning. This lasts for about a few seconds and then it performs that gas-producing fog that a few CdG scents (O53, O71, CdG 3...) do, where its almost an ABSENCE of smell all around you. The smell of 'no smell' for a few seconds. Then a very synthetic lime note. Stay with me...
    2. The orange arrived. Yay! It is NOT Tang orange. No way. It is bitter orange. Think Concentree Bigarade sniffed through a gauze bandage. Cotton-y bitter orange. So strange and yet so nice to my nose. In typical Cuban/Spanish cooking, bitter orange juice is used in cooking a lot. The bitter orange of Play reminded me strongly of this olfactory memory.
    3. Middle note: this is the 'down the rabbit hole' part of Play. I do not know what to call this note that appears. Let me try: The smell of a brand new stereo speaker, when you sniff the inside cone (plastic, foam, new from the factory). Whatever it is, it's industrial smelling, but not the SMELL of a chemical. Rather the smell of a finished plastic product. I think I associate it the most with the smell of foam packaging pieces.
    4. I got no marine notes (not my fav notes, mind you). Black pepper? Um, I don't think I got that either. In the drydown the confectionary note resembles violet a little, but maybe it's sage (sometimes my nose confuses the two).
    5. I overapplied this. You have to, to 'get' this scent. Do not go 'light' with applying Play.
    6. I can't imagine anyone ever giving me a compliment wearing this. It's just not that kind of scent.
    7. On the way to work, my car interior was literally filled with the smell of Play (I told you, I intentionally overapplied it) and I picked up my Ipod and hit SHUFFLE. The first random song to appear was for the soundtrack to, 'A Clockwork Orange'. How appropriate, I thought.

Default Re: Play by Comme des Garcons - a 'Clockwork' orange

Love it.. great review as always.
    I'm a colognosaurus. Rawr!

Love the movie! Love the review! I was with you 99% except I need to know the stereo speaker brand. I'm thinking Klipsch?

Sounds like too much work for a scent named play
    -

like these, not the big ones

http://www.klipsch.com/products/details/heresy-iii.aspx

I'm guessing here
    Last edited by fredricktoo; 10th August 2007 at 03:37 AM. Reason: punctuation ver 1.0.1

I agree with everyone--a great review. Thanks Mike.
    That girl, that bottle, that mattress and me.

Damn, I just put a new set of Alpines in my car and I didn't get a chance to sniff them...

Great review, I'll have to try Play.

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by fredricktoo View Post
    Love the movie! Love the review! I was with you 99% except I need to know the stereo speaker brand. I'm thinking Klipsch?
    LOL.

Klipsch. But, of course.

nice review Mike, you've inspired me to seek this out this weekend for a sniff

Fantastic review Mike. I am looking forward to testing this one. I'll be OK as long as it doesn't inspire a bit of the ultraviolence.

Basenotes Institution

The mixture of the orange, the chemical plastic smell and the way this scent pulses in the heat (or the heat from your body) is very unique.

For the first time this morning, at the gym, I got a little of the 'Tang' note that I mentioned before. I think it's because the bitter orange note is so bitter, it borders its almost acidic. Its also a persistent orange note, which is new for me, since my skin eats up most orange notes. Arancia, Eau D'Orange Verte, Citrico...all smell wonderful on me for about 5 minutes...whereas the 'clockwork orange' note in Play sticks around in its bizarre synthetic way.

What a fabulous review Mike - wow! Unfortunately I have to say that I find your review many times better that the scent itself You know for being a CDG scent it smells - at least to my nose - waaayy too similar to Bvlgari Aqva! I have to admit I got so very dissapointed when I tested this one

With all the best,
    -Tero-

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by GGA View Post
    What a fabulous review Mike - wow! Unfortunately I have to say that I find your review many times better that the scent itself You know for being a CDG scent it smells - at least to my nose - waaayy too similar to Bvlgari Aqva! I have to admit I got so very dissapointed when I tested this one

With all the best,
    -Tero-
    Doesn't surprise me - a few reviews I've read sound similar (one woman compared it to the smell of her husband's Gillette after shave gel...ouch). I think some of the molecules CdG uses you either 'get' or you don't - or, in the case of some of the Leaves Series, some people get natural plant smells and some get wood/cardboard/Count Chocula cereal notes. That's part of why I love CdG scents so much. Go figure.

There is something synthetic, yet dirty going on in Play. The closest smell that I can think of is the inside of a cardboard box that had a plastic ball in it. Hmm, is that why they call it play. Dodgeball anyone?
    Last edited by Kevin Guyer; 29th August 2007 at 01:54 PM.

i like it.... synthetic orange.....

maybe CDG was trying to bring nostalgic memories of a type of orange drink (tang inspired) that you would used to drink in the playground....those plastic fischer price castle slides....so that's my guess on PLAY?
    wishlist:
    Chanel - Cuire de Ruissie and Eau de Cologne
    Penhaligons - Quercus, Castille, and Raquets
    Dior -Eau Noire, Dior Homme Cologne, Dior Homme Intense, and Dior Sweet Sun
    Frédéric Malle - Angelique sous la pluie and Eau d'Hiver
    L'Artisan - l'eau de l'artisan and bois farine
    Hermès - Elixir des Merveilles, Jardin sur Nil, and Hermessence Confret.

Thanks Mike for the sample
    I got a lot of what previous posters put and some odd additions.
    When I first sprayed it (I also applied quite generously and throughout the day), I got a citrusy plastic feeling to it. Like imagine taking the blister packaging from a matchbox car, sprinkling it with fresh lemon and orange zest and the fog from the zest, then twisting and tearing at the plastic so it gets the stressed, torn smell.
    I kind of got lost in the middle, never really able to put my finger on it exactly. I just got synthetic remnants of the opening with a little less sharpness and a little rounder scent.
    The base surprised me though.. though it was pretty much gone after a few hours, I got what I sensed as an ambergris note, a little papery and dry... however, never more than a few inches from my skin.

I enjoyed it though I don't think it could offend anyone, but could make them curious and ask about it!
    I'm a colognosaurus. Rawr!

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by jrd4t View Post
    When I first sprayed it (I also applied quite generously and throughout the day), I got a citrusy plastic feeling to it. Like imagine taking the blister packaging from a matchbox car, sprinkling it with fresh lemon and orange zest and the fog from the zest, then twisting and tearing at the plastic so it gets the stressed, torn smell.
    Robbie, perfect description of the strange plastic citrus note.

I have a visual picture of Lilly (your cat) going a little 'bonkers' over the smell of this on you.

Talking Re: Play by Comme des Garcons - a 'Clockwork' orange

Hehe nice review.
    Actually smell like tang, I was looking forward to found something organical,to resemble the odour,a nd that is it, tang with a hint of plastic and sea notes.
    thanks mike
    --------------------------------------
    Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    Doesn't surprise me - a few reviews I've read sound similar (one woman compared it to the smell of her husband's Gillette after shave gel...ouch). I think some of the molecules CdG uses you either 'get' or you don't - or, in the case of some of the Leaves Series, some people get natural plant smells and some get wood/cardboard/Count Chocula cereal notes. That's part of why I love CdG scents so much. Go figure.
    That is actually true. Real truth.
    Last edited by madridbatabidd; 27th October 2007 at 09:16 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    Read my perfume reviews at: http://perfumenoparatodos.blogspot.com/

Digital art portfolio: www.dreamlandpostcards.com

Great review Bro. I do love reading your reviews. After reading this one, I now understand what I smelled when I tested the CDG that was in Bloomies. I think it was 2, but not sure. It was in a gray flat bottle. The SA said it was unisex. There was a strange kind of new toy on Xmas morning smell with that one too. It's great realizing more and more that I'm not crazy when I pick up these things in frags.
    Diva is fartin in your perfume mist before you walk through it!! Walk slow and let it marinate......

Divatologist....Breaking perfume rules since 1969
    I smells goooooooooooood! Don't believe me? Come smell me!!

"The Divatologist Perfume Application Method" is now available!!! Learn It, Live It, Love It Click Here! Many Compliments Await You!

www.twitter.com/Divatologist www.divatologist.tumblr.com

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by Divatologist View Post
    Great review Bro. I do love reading your reviews. After reading this one, I now understand what I smelled when I tested the CDG that was in Bloomies. I think it was 2, but not sure. It was in a gray flat bottle. The SA said it was unisex. There was a strange kind of new toy on Xmas morning smell with that one too. It's great realizing more and more that I'm not crazy when I pick up these things in frags.
    Thanks D - CdG2 (which is the one you saw) is strange, due to it's unique 'ink' note. I can't wear it - to me it reminds me a little too much of a copier toner ink cartridge, but CdG2Man (in the same bottle in brown glass) is the sh*t.

Yes...you're nose is developing nicely D. One of the perks of hanging out here in Basenotes land.
    "The beginning of freedom is the realization that you are not the "thinker." The moment you start watching the thinker, a higher level of consciousness becomes activated. You then begin to realize that there is a vast realm of intelligence beyond thought, that thought is only a tiny aspect of that intelligence. You also realize that all the things that truly matter - beauty, love, creativity, joy, inner peace - arise from beyond the mind.

You begin to awaken"

-- Eckhart Tolle

Great review....I hope to test this at some time myself.....I would say that CdG is one of my favorite Niche Houses.....I do hope that this is not a let down......Gary

Basenotes Institution

Did anyone else notice that CdG changed the bottle design of Play recently? I noticed it yesterday when I logged onto Luckyscent. It went from...

This

to this...

"The beginning of freedom is the realization that you are not the "thinker." The moment you start watching the thinker, a higher level of consciousness becomes activated. You then begin to realize that there is a vast realm of intelligence beyond thought, that thought is only a tiny aspect of that intelligence. You also realize that all the things that truly matter - beauty, love, creativity, joy, inner peace - arise from beyond the mind.

You begin to awaken"

-- Eckhart Tolle

Mike

Spin those bottles around in your minds eye right?

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by fredricktoo View Post
    Mike

Spin those bottles around in your minds eye right?
    Well that's what I thought when I saw it - but my bottle (the one with the creepy eyes on it) doesn't have the word PLAY on the back side, it just has those words underneath PLAY on the new bottle. Def' a new bottle.

You begin to awaken"

-- Eckhart Tolle

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    Well that's what I thought when I saw it - but my bottle (the one with the creepy eyes on it) doesn't have the word PLAY on the back side, it just has those words underneath PLAY on the new bottle. Def' a new bottle.
    sorry Mike. I had no idea you owned the bottle. CDG does have some cutting edge design ideas and I only learned that they were a Japanese house about a week ago.