Code of Conduct

Question Is there a chance something's wrong with my new bottle of Comme des Garcons 2 EDP?

After being uncertain from in-store sniffing and sampling, after a full day's wear of the last of my sample I finally fell for Comme des Garcons 2 EDP. Not quite like anything else; I really liked how its initial slightly-screechy tart oddness is eventually complicated by hints of woodiness, amber, and incense. Intriguing.

Anyway, I went back to Barney's to get a full bottle and I'm wearing it today. The thing is, I put two sprays on my chest around 1pm, and it's almost 6pm and it seems like the scent is barely there. I had no such problem with the sample I had, and the sample was made for me at the same Barney's. Is there a chance something is off with the bottle I got? If so I'd try to exchange. Or is two sprays not enough? What's going on?

(Meantime, my appreciation of the oddness of the fragrance and the beauty of the bottle inspired a special photo shoot this morning.)

Default Re: Is there a chance something's wrong with my new bottle of Comme des Garcons 2 EDP?

Wait a day or so and try it again. Although anything is possible, unlikely something is wrong with your bottle.

Blog Entries

Default Re: Is there a chance something's wrong with my new bottle of Comme des Garcons 2 EDP?

Nice go-ban! Definitely nicer than mine. I've used mine for those kind of cool photos, too.

That fragrance is highly variable on the longevity, so "don't sweat it" (bad pun). Seriously - I've had it last all day or all night, and other times it seems gone in a few hours. It seems to be very sensitive to the exact condition of the skin where I sprayed it, or whether I got any on clothing (which really makes it last).

I recommend being patient with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Redneck Perfumisto View Post
    Nice go-ban! Definitely nicer than mine. I've used mine for those kind of cool photos, too.

That fragrance is highly variable on the longevity, so "don't sweat it" (bad pun). Seriously - I've had it last all day or all night, and other times it seems gone in a few hours. It seems to be very sensitive to the exact condition of the skin where I sprayed it, or whether I got any on clothing (which really makes it last).

I recommend being patient with it.
    That's reassuring to hear. I agree it seems very unlikely there would be something wrong with a bottle just bought at Barney's, but I tend toward paranoid at times. I'll see how it goes wearing again in a few days. Maybe three sprays that time.

Nice to hear from a fellow Go player. It's been a while since I've actually been playing, but I still love the game, both the playing and the aesthetics. Seemed exactly the setting for CdG2.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by onethinline View Post
    Nice to hear from a fellow Go player. It's been a while since I've actually been playing, but I still love the game, both the playing and the aesthetics. Seemed exactly the setting for CdG2.
    Last time I played was my wife's friend's husband - he's a real go junkie, and plays multiple online games at once. It was impressive to watch him. He played me for fun, and let me win, but it was pretty clear he was toying with me and letting me have a good time. It was even more fun with a cold Japanese beer!

I agree - beautiful game. My goban is a cheap, hollow one, but I inherited it from my dad, who loved the game, so it has a lot of sentimental value. Even then, it still looks great.

I've read that some companies have stronger testers than what they actually sell. Does anybody know more about this ?

Chanel supposedly sends testers from France but what you buy in the store is the made in the USA version.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by thatmakesscents View Post
    I've read that some companies have stronger testers than what they actually sell. Does anybody know more about this ?

Chanel supposedly sends testers from France but what you buy in the store is the made in the USA version.
    I've kept an eye out for this, but I've never actually seen it. I've only heard one really well-documented instance of an EDP tester on an EDT release, here on BN. I almost think it was an error of some kind.

I've never gotten a made-in-USA Chanel - and that includes in the store at a whole bunch of stores, and from chanel.com. I check every one, and they're all made in France.

It stays pretty close to the skin in a cold environment - don't know if this was a factor for you.

In any case, can you apply more? I'd avoid the upper chest just in case olfactory fatigue is at play.
    When I wear this I usually go for 2-3 to the back of the neck, a couple to each arm and maybe one to the left wrist and another to the lower chest/abdomen.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by laph View Post
    It stays pretty close to the skin in a cold environment - don't know if this was a factor for you.

In any case, can you apply more? I'd avoid the upper chest just in case olfactory fatigue is at play.
    When I wear this I usually go for 2-3 to the back of the neck, a couple to each arm and maybe one to the left wrist and another to the lower chest/abdomen.
    Whoa! I would love to wear it this strong, but my wife would FREAK! I guess we're both pretty sensitive to it. I'm ok with 3 max.

Sounds like fun!

I don't find it particularly persistent/intense. Try to go heavier on the trigger...6-7 sprays should do the work...

Discover my Guest Reviewer Of The Day here

Quote Originally Posted by Redneck Perfumisto View Post
    I've never gotten a made-in-USA Chanel - and that includes in the store at a whole bunch of stores, and from chanel.com. I check every one, and they're all made in France.
    From what I understand the made in France has nothing to do with it. The formula is made in France but they produce it here for the american market. The difference has to do with what type of alcohol they use according to european/american guidelines.

To my nose there is a difference but Chanel claims they are the same. The did however admit that some testers are from the french market.

Quote Originally Posted by alfarom View Post
    I don't find it particularly persistent/intense. Try to go heavier on the trigger...6-7 sprays should do the work...
    I'll definitely try more sprays next time. I'm just surprised at the discrepancy between a few sprays from the full bottle versus four or five from the little sample atomizer. The dose from the sample that day lasted and lasted.

Glad I finally came around to this fragrance. It's great, and not quite like anything else.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by thatmakesscents View Post

The difference has to do with what type of alcohol they use according to european/american guidelines.

To my nose there is a difference but Chanel claims they are the same. The did however admit that some testers are from the french market.
    That would actually make sense. America could easily have different denaturant regulations. I'll see if I can find out more about this. Thanks!

All right. I did a good five sprays today (four on my chest, one on my wrist), and still the same issue: by lunchtime, it seemed little more than a bit of white musk -- certainly not much of the distinct CdG2 accord. I went to the gym after lunch, and usually the increased body heat brings whatever I'm wearing right out, clearly, but not in this case. What gives? I certainly didn't go overboard when I tested from my sample decant -- in fact I eked out the last bit of the sample, maybe about four or five mini-sprays to the chest. That lasted all day, easily. Is this one really so fickle? Could it be a manufacturing variance with CdG?

I am sorry that you are having issues with your purchase. I totally understand...been there.

IMO if you think the tester was stronger than your bottle then you are correct. If it doesn't smell the same then it isn't. Do not play tricks on yourself.

I suggest you bring the bottle back to the counter and have them sample your bottle and the tester at the same time. Companies are cutting corners all over the place...clothing food etc. etc. I wouldn't be surprised if comme de garcon is hustling as well.

This is a bad economy. Trust no one.

Still may be worth checking that others can't smell it either just to rule out olfactory fatigue.

At the end of the day though you should return it if there's something wrong with the fragrance.

Exact same thing happened to me.