Code of Conduct

Default Any Thoughts on Vickie Tiel's "Ulysse?"

I dig off the beaten track, little-discussed frags, and this is one of them.

The reviews here reflect my conflicts. it has gone in and out of my "discarded/swap" box on many occasions. I pulled it out tonight as my SOTE for yet another test drive and remain undecided.

My first impression is that it's loud, cheap and vulgar, ie Kingdom, as described by Serpent. My second impression is that it's loud, cheap and vulgar.LOL.

But not that there's anything wrong with that! When I want something totally unique and puzzling, I reach for this one...or Jacko, which I still haven't figured out.

Any lovers/haters?

Default Re: Any Thoughts on Vickie Tiel's "Ulysse?"

It seems terribly linear to me, with one or two notes (likely the yuzu and lavender) overly dominant.

Tiel's "Sirène" (for women), though, is delicious and complex -- as warm as Ulysse is cold.
    Last edited by tvlampboy; 10th August 2007 at 01:54 PM.

Peggy: "Right now, we have to get to the mental institution. Something terrible has happened."
    Latrelle: "What?"
    Peggy: "Brother Boy has tried to kill himself. He jumped out of his bedroom window."
    Latrelle: "Isn't he only on the second floor?"
    Peggy: "Yes, but he hit his head on a lawn gnome."
    Fr. Sordid Lives: The Series
    "Live, live, live! Life is a banquet, and most poor suckers are starving to death."
    Auntie Mame
    [/B]

Quote Originally Posted by tvlampboy View Post
    It seems terribly linear to me, with one or two notes (likely the yuzu and lavender) overly dominant.

Tiel's "Sirčne" (for women), though, is delicious and complex -- as warm as Ulysse is cold.
    There is something in the top notes that I just don't "get" -- maybe it's the yuzu. It reminds me of Midori melon liquor, and not in a pleasant way. I don't smell any lavender, which is a shame because I love lavender.

However, the drydown is almost worth it. There is something smooth and comfortable about it. It almost reminds me of an almond bath soap. I don't think of Ulysse as cold, however -- there's so much sweet vanilla in the drydown that it strikes me as quite warm.

I can see why you like it, although I have to disagree a little about the warm dry-down (or, rather, at least IMHO, the lack thereof).

I find this one astringent and somewhat melancholy -- distantly related, even, to Gris Clair on some level.
    Very interesting use of lavender in Ulysse, as in Gris Clair.

What amazes me is how cheap both Sirčne and Ulysse are given the high quality of their ingredients.
    Last edited by tvlampboy; 16th January 2009 at 08:19 PM.

Peggy: "Right now, we have to get to the mental institution. Something terrible has happened."
    Latrelle: "What?"
    Peggy: "Brother Boy has tried to kill himself. He jumped out of his bedroom window."
    Latrelle: "Isn't he only on the second floor?"
    Peggy: "Yes, but he hit his head on a lawn gnome."
    Fr. Sordid Lives: The Series
    "Live, live, live! Life is a banquet, and most poor suckers are starving to death."
    Auntie Mame
    [/B]

Quote Originally Posted by HoldenCaufield View Post
    I dig off the beaten track, little-discussed frags, and this is one of them.

The reviews here reflect my conflicts. it has gone in and out of my "discarded/swap" box on many occasions. I pulled it out tonight as my SOTE for yet another test drive and remain undecided.

My first impression is that it's loud, cheap and vulgar, ie Kingdom, as described by Serpent. My second impression is that it's loud, cheap and vulgar.LOL.

But not that there's anything wrong with that! When I want something totally unique and puzzling, I reach for this one...or Jacko, which I still haven't figured out.

Any lovers/haters?
    THOSE ARE MY THOUGHTS EXACTLY! I've had a love/hate thing going with this one ever since I first bought it. I will say, though, that it's a strong frag that lasts a good, long time. Like you, I recently pulled Ulysee out of my "discard" box and am glad I did...I think!
    Last edited by Butthead53; 16th January 2009 at 08:35 PM.

I know this is an old thread, but I want to bump it back up (or should I have started a new one?) because I keep seeing this listed as a hidden gem and I'm very curious. I'm talking about the EdT, not the EdC.

It's cheap, so that makes it safer as a blind buy. Can you recommend anything similar, as if to say "If you like this, you'd like Ulysse" ?

I'm in my 30s and considering this as a casual / potential date scent. I have a soft spot for less common scents and this sure seems less common! Any pros or cons?

Quote Originally Posted by L'Homme Blanc Individuel View Post
    I know this is an old thread, but I want to bump it back up (or should I have started a new one?) because I keep seeing this listed as a hidden gem and I'm very curious. I'm talking about the EdT, not the EdC.

It's cheap, so that makes it safer as a blind buy. Can you recommend anything similar, as if to say "If you like this, you'd like Ulysse" ?

I'm in my 30s and considering this as a casual / potential date scent. I have a soft spot for less common scents and this sure seems less common! Any pros or cons?
    If you like 13% Isopropyl alcohol and the smell of bathroom cleaner, you 'd like Ulysse!
    My Top Ten:

1: Guerlain - Habit Rouge
    2: Guerlain - Jicky
    3: Guerlain - Mouchoir de Monsieur
    4: Guerlain - Shalimar
    5: Knize - Knize Ten
    6: Caron - Yatagan
    7: Caron - Pour Un Homme
    8: Jean Desprez - Bal a Versailles
    9: Yves Saint Laurent - M7
    10: Salvador Dali - Dali Pour Homme

Tried it and didn't like it

Lovely bottle and nice to add to any collection of bottles.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

I had this years ago and found it to be OK.....This worked well with my skin and was and still is a good inexpensive fragrance!!!
    Gary

If you like Ulysses, You should like Lucky No. 6!

Quote Originally Posted by EarNoseThroat View Post
    If you like Ulysses, You should like Lucky No. 6!
    Ouch! This is the harshest possible critique of any fragrance!
    My Top Ten:

1: Guerlain - Habit Rouge
    2: Guerlain - Jicky
    3: Guerlain - Mouchoir de Monsieur
    4: Guerlain - Shalimar
    5: Knize - Knize Ten
    6: Caron - Yatagan
    7: Caron - Pour Un Homme
    8: Jean Desprez - Bal a Versailles
    9: Yves Saint Laurent - M7
    10: Salvador Dali - Dali Pour Homme