Code of Conduct

Default Evolved Nose Recommendation

It's a been a while (Downtime aside) since I've been randomly hitting up people with actual senses of smell for a recommend, so... hey, here goes.

I'm looking for something new to cater to my admittedly twitchy coupling of sense of smell and personal inclination.

Some benchmarks:

Creed Erolfa: One of my favorites. If my chemistry allowed for a bit more longevity, I'd be all over this one as my #1 regular.

Creed Cypres-Musc: Has grown on me, and is at the moment my #2 Creed. There's nothing I dislike about it, though it doesn't have much visceral allure -- It doesn't just GRAB me.

Creed Virgin Island Water: It DOES just GRAB me, but... I can't see it as an everyday sort of scent. It's a well done 'current trend' sort of scent for me. I like it, but I can't see myself pulling it off with any regularity.

Bulgari Aqua: My current summer staple. To be honest, it sort of put me off at first. There was an underlying bitter note that made me wince, but it's definitely grown on me.

GB Green Valley: Another frequent flyer for summer (I live in San Antonio, by the way. Summer is not dicking around down here). It's got a somewhat alarming blast of Citrus Green to me, but I keep coming back to, and enjoying it.

Other Likes:

Kouros: Hated it on paper, it's sublime with my chemistry.
    Eau Sauvage: Firmly in the 'like' category, but I don't love it.
    Habit Rouge: Another one I'm just randomly fond of -- The middle notes in particular.
    Bahiana: Awesome stuff, though it falls into the VIW trap of not being something I can feel comfortable with everyday -- At times it smells like I just spilled a tropical drink on myself.
    Maestralle: I can't stop sniffing this stuff. Falls into my 'Smells Like Sex' category... The problem is meandering around smelling like sex just doesn't fit with my rather reserved external persona. (Heh! Took a dab to refresh my memory whilst writing and AGAIN... can't stop sniffing it. Might be a good Special Occasion scent.)

Some Not-Working-For-Me's

L'Anarchiste: At first, I liked this... Now it just provokes a 'Pfeh' reaction from me.
    Michael Kors: Another one I like technically, but can't wear -- cloying on my skin.
    AoS Sandalwood: One of those rare scents that I just flagrantly disliked in every way. Gack, I say. Gaack.
    Givenchy Very Irresistible: See 'AoS Sandalwood'.

Input appreciated, as always.

Default Re: Evolved Nose Recommendation

Just a few suggestions from someone with an undeveloped sense of smell, but a large cologne collection. Based upon your likes/dislikes you might want to sample:

Carthusia Uomo
    Givenchy Greenergy
    Creed Vetiver (1948)
    Creed Orange Spice
    GFT by George Trumper
    Mare by Beth Terry

Best regards,
    Mike

Frederic Malle French Lover / Bois d´Orage:
    A new interpretation of Angelica, a mid-aromatic, mid-spicy note.
    A raw material linked to natural complements, such as Cedar wood and Vetiver, magnified by Iris from Florence, spiced up by Pimento and Galbanum, and lying on Patchouli, Incense and Musks: a vegetal animality to serve a confident virility.
    Pierre Bourdon and Frederic Malle worked on the idea of creating the ultimate man fragrance: a modern, eternal and refined scent.

Off-Scenter

Texas weather? High quality, but maybe branching out a bit...

Yerbamate by Lorenzo Villoresi.
    Fou d'Absinthe and Dzongkha from L'Artisan Parfumeur.
    Iris Bleu Gris, Garrigue, Santal Noble and Jardin du Nil from Maitre Parfumeur et Gantier.
    Knize Forest.
    Daim Blond from Serge Lutens.
    Amouage Dia or Reflection.
    Tam Dao by Diptyque.
    Bon Zai by Ayala Moriel.
    Padme Lotus and Celadon by Dawn Spencer Hurwitz.
    Lux by Mona di Orio. (May appeal the way Bahiana and VIW do, but a little less of a "spilled drink.")

Hope some of these smell interesting!

Basenotes Institution

Route du Vetiver by MPG

Every day:
    Parfum d'Empire Eau de Gloire
    Montale, Fougeres Marines
    Malle, Vetiver Extraordinaire
    Czech & Speake, No. 88

Special Occasion:
    Ava Luxe, Kama
    Ava Luxe, Madame X
    CB I Hate Perfume, At the Beach 1966

Fresh and sophisticated:
    Terre d'Hermes
    Acqua di Portofino
    Ronaldo Esper Millesimé (exotic top, masculine base)
    Adolfo Dominguez Vetiver Hombre
    Creed Selection Verte
    Anglia/Crown Perfumery - Spiced Limes
    Brooksfield Men (a sleeper)
    CdG Cologne Series, Vettiveru
    Villoresi or Etro Vetiver - raw
    Sisley Eau de Camapagne - the green green grass of home

spicy:
    Sandalo Inspiritu, very transparent rendering of sandalwood & incense, the inverse of the AoS sledgehammer

Villoresi Piper nigrum - love or hate, but worth a try

masculine:
    Malle French Lover/Bois d'Orage - the crystalline version of a classic 80s scent
    Jaguar Mark II - great tangerine top - woody/patchouly base
    Parfums d'Empire - Eau de Gloire - fresh EdC top, spicy base, quite unique
    My Wardrobe
    II est de forts parfums pour qui toute matičre/Est poreuse. On dirait qu'ils pénčtrent le verre.

Wink Re: Evolved Nose Recommendation

I like to tame the summer heat and humidity by a splashing on either Etro's or Annick Goutal's versions of Vetiver.
    As far as Creeds go, if Erolfa isn't quite making it for you there's always its blueprint, Green Irish Tweed.
    Last edited by Kevin Guyer; 10th August 2007 at 10:48 PM.

Off-Scenter

Ooh, I almost forgot - Iskander by Parfum d'Empire. A great woody-citrus that's a little less "tropical" than Bahiana and drier than VIW. No coconut, either.

Maestrale - Profumi di Pantelleria is really exceptional. Glad you enjoy it. Go ahead get yourself some. Nothing wrong with walking around smelling sexy all the time.

Quote Originally Posted by Ruggles View Post
    As far as Creeds go, if Erolfa isn't quite making it for you there's always its blueprint, Green Irish Tweed.
    Eh ?

Also, am I the only one who can "taste" Cypres Musc ? Theres something raw about this scent, and whenever I spray it on I can taste it in the back of my throat.

My new finds have been Guerlain Jicky EDP, Villoresi Vetiver and L'Occitane Neroli EDP.
    -

Wink Re: Evolved Nose Recommendation

Quote Originally Posted by zztopp View Post
    Eh ?
    I hope this isn't the casual comment that starts the, "first, post server meltdown, controversy, but I feel that GIT was the scent that launched a thousand Creeds, so to speak. I smell the GIT base in Erolfa, Millésime Impérial, Tabaróme Millésime.

Quote Originally Posted by Ruggles View Post
    I hope this isn't the casual comment that starts the, "first, post server meltdown, controversy, but I feel that GIT was the scent that launched a thousand Creeds, so to speak. I smell the GIT base in Erolfa, Millésime Impérial, Tabaróme Millésime.
    Giggity giggity 4th base it is !
    -