Code of Conduct
    Post Thanks / Like

Default "Barber-shop" smell,any niche?

Hi this times i experimented in barber-shop fragances,really i rediscovered this smell,colognes like Jockey Club C&M (for me the best cologne that capture this smell),Varon Dandy,Canoe,Floris JF.......
    I want said that in this moment i try to find a new fragance that adapts to this times this smell,a fragance that refined this smell.........i think that i find this fragance is ST BARTH HOMME,a clear example that i try to said,but of course here are many experts and i happy in read his options. which is his option? that niche in this way?

thanks in advance
    Last edited by Dry_Martini; 10th August 2007 at 08:01 PM.
    #TOP 5#: Antico Caruso, Penhaligons Racquets,Creed BayRhum Vetiver,Domenico Caraceni,Castle Forbes 1445

Default Re: "Barber-shop" smell,any niche?

L'Artisan Fou d'Absinthe
    Chevalier d'Orsay
    Truefitt and Hill - Grafton
    Profumum - Antico Caruso

It's not technically "niche" but have you tried Helmut Lang Eau de Cologne? It's discontinued, but I found a bottle a few months ago. It's totally what you're looking for if you want something like Canoe etc.

A few weeks ago, I was at my nude female figure drawing class and afterward the model wanted to come down and see my place...

I took this girl into my room and showed her about 40 different bottles of fragrances. When she smelled the Helmut Lang, she pulled it tightly to her chest, closed her eyes and said "Oh yeah... This one's the keeper!"

She absolutely loved the Helmut Lang. I was kind of surprised. Helmut Lang is total barbershop, and totally retro-modern. I think it's what you're looking for.

Post Thanks / Like

I would second Grafton by T&H--probably the best-expressed "barbershop" smell I've come across. It is also fitting that it is produced by, well, a barbershop.

YSL Rive Gauche PH also falls within that category--it's not niche, but of such an outstanding quality that it equal to, or superior than, many niche frags.

In fact, spray Rive Gauche on one wrist, Grafton on the other and be amazed at the similarity from top to bottom.
    Last edited by Circa1905; 10th August 2007 at 11:33 PM.

Definitely not niche, but Pinaud Clubman, which is very potent and quite inexpensive, is barbershop all the way.

Basenotes Institution
    Post Thanks / Like

Rive Gauche Pour Homme by YSL
    Cologne Blanche by Dior

Antico Caruso - Profumum.

I think that Jockey Club by Caswell Massey fits the bill, as does ANY good bay rum (or bad one, for that matter).

You can't beat Canoe by Dana, nor can you top the almost equally cheap (and good!) Elizabeth Arden Sandalwood for Men.

Peggy: "Right now, we have to get to the mental institution. Something terrible has happened."
    Latrelle: "What?"
    Peggy: "Brother Boy has tried to kill himself. He jumped out of his bedroom window."
    Latrelle: "Isn't he only on the second floor?"
    Peggy: "Yes, but he hit his head on a lawn gnome."
    Fr. Sordid Lives: The Series
    "Live, live, live! Life is a banquet, and most poor suckers are starving to death."
    Auntie Mame
    [/B]

Post Thanks / Like

C&S #88 and C&S Frankincense and Myrrh are total barbershop nostalgia.

Vermeil

Rive Gauche by YSL
    Azzaro PH

Although it might seem an unusual suggestion within a 'Barber Shop' stream of Consciousness I think Cipresso di Toscana by Acqua di Parma, athough described as 'Unisex', is a fitting contender for inclusion.

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Dry!
    Try "Wild Fern" GFT really barber shop smell...

Post Thanks / Like

Geo F Trumper Bay Rum, Marlborough, Wellington, and Extract of West Indian Limes...a nice barber-shop quartet.

Have a great weekend all...

Mike

Post Thanks / Like

T&H Grafton is my choice for the ultimate barbershop scent, but YSL Rive Gauche pour homme and Caron pour homme are good too (and more easily accessible + cheaper)
    -

Another for Antico Caruso.

Post Thanks / Like

Many thanks for his opinions Sirs.,in my book are Grafton and Antico Caruso i curios in try

only other question, you think that Floris JF is in this group?

thanks again
    #TOP 5#: Antico Caruso, Penhaligons Racquets,Creed BayRhum Vetiver,Domenico Caraceni,Castle Forbes 1445

Post Thanks / Like

No, I wouldn´t include JF in that group. It´s more of a citrus and mossy marine scent similar to GIT and Cool Water, nice nevertheless.

I totally second Indie Guy´s suggestion with the original Helmut Lang. Musky and powdery but also buttery smooth and a bit soapy. It keeps you smelling like after a good shave with a nice old school shaving cream. I get very decent longevity from it as well. I would also rank the male Prada as a distant cousin of HL. Not very similar per se, but still giving you that slightly updated barbershop vibe - a good choice as well.

Guidion´s suggestion for Cipresso di Toscana is very good as well, that one smells totally classic and green, very masculine IMO. In the same category (herbaceous barbershop - not musky like HL) check out Penhaligon´s English Fern - brilliant stuff. Green, warm, rugged, soapy & clean with just a tad of sweetness - a perfect classic.

/mmm

Quote Originally Posted by Mikey Q View Post
    Geo F Trumper Bay Rum, Marlborough, Wellington, and Extract of West Indian Limes...a nice barber-shop quartet.

Have a great weekend all...

Mike
    Beat me to it!Extract of West Indian Limes reminds me of the days when my Father would pull me by the scruff of the neck to the barbers on a Saturday morning!Funny,now I pay £7:50 for a tube of shaving cream(however,I'm fortunate enough not to grow what one might call a "grizzly" beard,so it lasts!),but the smell is quite wondrous.

Post Thanks / Like

It's not niche, But Vetiver hombre by Adolfo Dominguez is a wonderfully fresh barbershop scent.
    My Wardrobe
    II est de forts parfums pour qui toute matière/Est poreuse. On dirait qu'ils pénètrent le verre.

Quote Originally Posted by tvlampboy View Post
    I think that Jockey Club by Caswell Massey fits the bill, as does ANY good bay rum (or bad one, for that matter).

You can't beat Canoe by Dana, nor can you top the almost equally cheap (and good!) Elizabeth Arden Sandalwood for Men.
    You beat me to the punch with the Jockey Club recommendation. However on my skin, it dies down with a urine note (not a urine cake or what have you smell, a urine smell). This is one where I would say Caveat Sprayeur!

Jockey Club is the only niche barbershop type of frag I know.
    [FONT=Book Antiqua]MisterK / Vicomte de K / K[/FONT]
    [FONT=Book Antiqua]Ephemeral Top 5: YSL PH HC, Worth PH, Equipage, Monsieur Rochas HC, Acqua di Gio[/FONT]

I`d add some Italian stuff:
    Panama 1924 by Boellis - musky, almondy powdery scent
    Acqua di Parma - cologne classic
    Vetiver The Great!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Penhaligon's Racquet's Formula is total barbershop, imo.
    Lately I've been wearing:
    Windsor, Bois de Santal, Original Santal, Elixir, Douro, Endymion, Reflection, Arcus, Marwah

Post Thanks / Like

unbeatable barber-shop smell is RIVE GAUCHE YSL
    I love also Czech & Speake No. 88

I would say "Cool Water" or "Creed Orange Spice(Which I don't have)"

Creed " Baie de Genievre"

Exactly right...

INWAP

Post Thanks / Like

Mazzolari was founded in a little barber shop in Italy in 1888 by Augusto Mazzolari, who was so passionate about fragrances that he created exclusive aftershaves and eau de cologne for his male clients. His recipes and love for scent tradition were passed on to his son, Ferdinando, himself a hair stylist for women before spreading out into the field of women’s perfumery. His son, Augusto, even as a young boy, shared his father and grandfather’s love of fragrance, and devoted himself to the creation and research of perfumes and cosmetics. Mazzolari is a family affair of fragrance lovers that have passed their passions through the ages...there’s something for every taste in what has become one of Italy’s most prestigious perfumeries.

from luckyscent.com

Wink Re: "Barber-shop" smell,any niche?

When I think of the "Barbershop" smell, I do not think of an idealized Norman Rockwell place, or the synthetic smelling Rive Gauche, but rather a slightly dirty place, redolent of stale cigarette smoke, sebum - dirty hair, leather shoes, bad breath and some vaguely floral powder floating around. I think the closest olfactory representation of a "real" barber shop would be more on the order of Muscs Koublaï Khän by Serge Lutens - The smell of living things in need of some grooming.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ruggles View Post
    When I think of the "Barbershop" smell, I do not think of an idealized Norman Rockwell place, or the synthetic smelling Rive Gauche, but rather a slightly dirty place, redolent of stale cigarette smoke, sebum - dirty hair, leather shoes, bad breath and some vaguely floral powder floating around. I think the closest olfactory representation of a "real" barber shop would be more on the order of Muscs Koublaï Khän by Serge Lutens - The smell of living things in need of some grooming.
    That would be the pre-barbershop smell (think Geico cavemen in suits).

Rive Gauche et al capture the smell of the barbershop facelift process well underway (think closeups of chiselled chins in Gillette ads)
    Last edited by zztopp; 13th August 2007 at 08:05 PM.
    -

Post Thanks / Like

Antico Caruso and Clubman.

The first costs around $205; the later about $5.
    Last edited by Joe_Frances; 14th August 2007 at 02:49 AM.

Basenotes Institution
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Guidion View Post
    Although it might seem an unusual suggestion within a 'Barber Shop' stream of Consciousness I think Cipresso di Toscana by Acqua di Parma, athough described as 'Unisex', is a fitting contender for inclusion.
    I disagree, I think this smells JUST like Tuscany by Aramis - which I wore all through my junior high years, and in no way smells 'barber-shop' to me.