Code of Conduct

Default In search of a wonderful Patchouli based scent

Hi gents and ladies,

I was able to log on this afternoon and I had forgotten how!?! Glad to see everyone is back.

I want a patchouli based fragrance, preferably an edp strength. I have heard of the Mazzolari Patchouli and that it is no wimp. Is this the route to take? I know it's a bit pricey.

Default Re: In search of a wonderful Patchouli based scent

I don't know about that scent but I really enjoy Patchouli Leaves by Montale and Patchouli Patch from L'Artsian.

EnvYus,

Are they long lasting? I really enjoy the earthy quality that I so riduculed when my older siblings wore Patchouly during their hippy days.

Thanks
    Graffham
    Last edited by graffham; 10th August 2007 at 08:55 PM.

Basenotes Institution

Patchouly by Profumum - meaty, earthy, spit-in-your-face patchouli, longevity, sillage, blah, blah, blah. Luckyscent sells samples. No other patchouli fragrance has 'got' me like this before, or since (well, except for Voleur de Roses by L'Artisan...but you gotta like roses).

Thank you, Mr. Perez! I'll keep that one in mind,too.

Mazzolari Patch is the real deal. It's rich, warm, and none too subtle. I'm not a Patchouli lover or this would be my go to scent. I like Patchouli, so this one is sometimes a little too much for me. It's a powerhouse. Edp strength for sure.

If you're looking for long lasting, Mazzolari and Profumum are a must test. But both are on the pricey side. My personal preference is the Mazzolari but I appreciate the powerful earthy, musty quality of Profumum Patchouly.

If you can handle roses and moderate longevity, I agree with Mike P. Voleur de Roses gets my vote for Best Use of Patchouli in a Fragrance.

Rive Gauche Pour Homme Intense
    Montale - Patchouli Leaves
    Calypso - Figue (yes lots of patch)
    Last edited by Jock_With_Scents; 10th August 2007 at 09:49 PM.

Rive Gauche pour Homme Intense
    Caswell Massey Aura of Patchouli
    Patchouli Patch by L'Artisan Parfumeur
    Madrigal by Molinard
    Patchouli Leaves by Ava Luxe
    Patchouli by Santa Maria Novella

Am anxious to try the Montale that JwS mentioned, but haven't sprung for it yet.
    Last edited by tvlampboy; 28th September 2007 at 12:54 AM.

Peggy: "Right now, we have to get to the mental institution. Something terrible has happened."
    Latrelle: "What?"
    Peggy: "Brother Boy has tried to kill himself. He jumped out of his bedroom window."
    Latrelle: "Isn't he only on the second floor?"
    Peggy: "Yes, but he hit his head on a lawn gnome."
    Fr. Sordid Lives: The Series
    "Live, live, live! Life is a banquet, and most poor suckers are starving to death."
    Auntie Mame
    [/B]

I think nothing beats Mazzolari. But Etro Patchouli should also be mentioned, it's on of their best, an EdC by name, but dark, strong, très très patchouli.
    My Wardrobe
    II est de forts parfums pour qui toute matière/Est poreuse. On dirait qu'ils pénètrent le verre.

SMN Patchouli for straight patchouli

Mazzolari Patchouli for patchouli w amber and spices

Wink Re: In search of a wonderful Patchouli based scent

Molinard's Madigral is quite the Patchouli bomb.

Quote Originally Posted by graffham View Post
    EnvYus,

Are they long lasting? I really enjoy the earthy quality that I so riduculed when my older siblings wore Patchouly during their hippy days.

Thanks
    Graffham
    The L'Artisan lasts long for a L'Artisan so it has an average lasting power. It stays in clothes for longer than average though. The Montale is so strong and so long lasting IMO. They are both worth a try.

have you sampled the Mazzolari? Luckyscent.com has a sample of the their line and a few other patch's to compare. $3.00 or $4.00 per 1ml sample.

good luck
    --------------------------------------
    here's one from my sample box that is a take no prisoner — hey I must be in a head shop Patchouli.

Les Neredides Patchouli Anitique
    Last edited by fredricktoo; 10th August 2007 at 10:49 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Quote Originally Posted by Ruggles View Post
    Molinard's Madigral is quite the Patchouli bomb.
    Did you mean Molinard's Les Senteurs Patchouli?
    Ce message provient du Québec!

I get a lot of patchouli from Etro's Sandalo.

Although I am not a fan of it, L'Artisan Patchouli Patch is the most accessible and easy to wear patchouli fragrance.
    -

Quote Originally Posted by francois View Post
    Did you mean Molinard's Les Senteurs Patchouli?
    No, the Madigral, that you so kindly traded to me, is loaded with Patchouli. I love it.

Not sure if this is what you're looking for, but Lorenzo Villoresi has a very earthy Patchouli.

On the other end, Michael for Men by Michael Kors is a potent Patchouli fragrance, but it is definitely not for everyone.

If you like patchouli and pipe tobacco, Bogart Pour Homme is the scent to have!
    Are you not entertained??? Is this not why you are here??

Blog Entries

MV3 by M.A.C cosmetics is a wonderful patchouli based scent. At first the patchouli put me off, but now I crave that scent sometime. I get lots of patchouli, vanilla, & bergamot. It's marketed for women, but I think it's definitely unisex.
    "Wait...is David Bowie really God?" - Penelope Garcia

Quote Originally Posted by fredricktoo View Post
    Les Neredides Patchouli Anitique
    As a very picky patch freak, I HIGHLY second this. Perfect if you like your patch authentic and dirty..but perfectly blended with just the right amount of semi-sweetness to make it easily wearable. It's never harsh.. but makes its presence known. Lasts a great while on me and projects very well. DEFINITELY a compliment getter..even from those who don't neccessarily like patch.
    Surprisingly... its not expensive. Try it!

-Teddy

Smile Re: In search of a wonderful Patchouli based scent

Quote Originally Posted by CologneJunkie View Post
    MV3 by M.A.C cosmetics is a wonderful patchouli based scent. At first the patchouli put me off, but now I crave that scent sometime. I get lots of patchouli, vanilla, & bergamot. It's marketed for women, but I think it's definitely unisex.
    Upon reading your description, I ran out and sampled MV3. I don't get patchouli from it. I get vanilla, bergamot over a cedar base. It is pretty good, although the opening is a bit too Body Kouros. Thanks for the tip.

Off-Scenter

I'll second Voleur de Roses, though I have longevity problems with it.

Two more potent patchoulis:

MPG's Parfum d'Habit is patchouli, vetiver, and leather, with a big cassis bud top. Very butch and very good.

Etat Libre d'Orange's Nombril Immense is a really rich headshop/hippie patchouli, though too "groovy" for me.

I've got a bottle of Ava Luxe Patchouli Leaves on the way right now!

I haven't tried any of the others mentioned, but I decided I needed some patchouli a few weeks ago and the sample of the Ava Luxe that I had was great, so I just went for it. I don't think it is as heavy as most, and I think that appeals to me. It is clean(er) smelling, and I think it will fit nicely in to my wardobe. Worth a try, definitley.
    Lately I've been wearing:
    Windsor, Bois de Santal, Original Santal, Elixir, Douro, Endymion, Reflection, Arcus, Marwah

Quote Originally Posted by Vibert View Post
    I'll second Voleur de Roses, though I have longevity problems with it.

Two more potent patchoulis:

MPG's Parfum d'Habit is patchouli, vetiver, and leather, with a big cassis bud top. Very butch and very good.

Whatever is in Parfum d'Habit, it is certainly strong and well-blended.
    I got the impression from the name that this may be Jean Laporte's answer
    to Habit Rouge.

Don't neglect to consider Givenchy Gentleman.

The more pure patchouli frags I've tried are difficult to wear because they are so bold and severe and so specifically 1960's and "trippy". I think pathcouli works better when buffered by a sweet note to balance the penetrating dryness. Profunum's THUNDRA is a nice gentle pathcouli with some mint up front to soften the dryness. Add my vote also for VELEOR D ROSES - a very nice patchouli blended rose that I like a lot but can not wear every day. Both Lutens BORNEO 1834 and Chanel COROMANDEL have pathcouli + chocolate for a sweet and dry combination that I like a lot. The Borneo is a little darker and more mysterious patch+dark chocolate while the Coromandel blends the pathcouli very well with many warm spice notes for very nice friendly chocolate/patch blend.

You may want to try Lust by Black Phoenix Alchemy Labs.. I got lots of patchouli from my sample of it.
    I'm a colognosaurus. Rawr!

French Lover (Frederic Malle)
    A new interpretation of Angelica, a mid-aromatic, mid-spicy note.
    A raw material linked to natural complements, such as Cedar wood and Vetiver, magnified by Iris from Florence, spiced up by Pimento and Galbanum, and lying on Patchouli, Incense and Musks: a vegetal animality to serve a confident virility.
    Pierre Bourdon and Frederic Malle worked on the idea of creating the ultimate man fragrance: a modern, eternal and refined scent.

Basenotes Institution

I made another patchouli connection today: Patchouly by Profumum (in all its gorgeousness) reminds me in the drydown of Borneo 1834 by Serge Lutens. I knew I had smelled this somewhere before... No other way to describe it: dark mocha chocolatey patchouli. Worlds away from the 'hippie' vibe of most patchouli scents.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    I made another patchouli connection today: Patchouly by Profumum (in all its gorgeousness) reminds me in the drydown of Borneo 1834 by Serge Lutens. I knew I had smelled this somewhere before... No other way to describe it: dark mocha chocolatey patchouli. Worlds away from the 'hippie' vibe of most patchouli scents.
    Interesting. I smell more earthy notes than chocolate in Profumum Patchouly. My overall impression of this scent is a warm, spicy, earthy interpretation of patchouli. The amber Profumum uses in their scents is very warm and rich and among my favorite amber notes. I have samples of ten Profumum scents (two more on the way) and Patchouly is my favorite so far. It's the odds on favorite as becoming my first Profumum full-bottle purchase.

One that hasn't been mentioned that I'm a big fan of is Aramis 900.

--Steve
    Just because it happened to you doesn't make it interesting.

In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice, there is.

My sales thread: http://www.basenotes.net/threads/304...85#post2614885

Wanted: YSL Nu EdP

Basenotes Institution

I'm bumping this thread, because I need to add another quality patchouli recommendation to the list: Intrigant Patchouli by Parfumerie Generale.

IP is quite linear - but the scent of parchouli with that tangy, cocoa vibe (in the vein of Patchouly by Profumum) minus the intense sillage was, in my opinion, perfect for someone who wants a long lasting patchouli scent that delivers the patchouli note (and not much else) in spades.

The 2 Portos (aramis and balenciaga) have a very nice patchouli drydown i think.

and Arden Men Sandalwood is more about patchouli than sandalwood imho.

a patchouli not a lot of people talk about and it's elegant? Ébène by Balmain. It has a good long patchouli middle that gets "expanded" with the cinnamon note.

Guerlains`s Heritage is a wonderful Patchuly / Tonka based fragrance, with an interesting cypress-sy opening.

lovely

Surprised there's only been one mention of Givenchy Gentleman. Pure patchouli to my nose, powerful but refined at the same time. cheap and accessible too.
    Top 10 (not in order): Dunhill 1934, Dunhill Edition, Terre d'Hermes, Rive Gauche, Habit Rouge, Guerlain Vetiver, Knize Ten, Bois du Portugal, Vintage Tabarome, Green Irish Tweed

Summer Rotation: GIT, Aventus, Erolfa, Vetiver 1948, Guerlain Vetiver, Malle VE, Terre d'Hermes, Bvlgari PH, Bvlgari Acqua, Habit Rouge EDC and Sport, ADP Colonia Assoluta, Chanel PMC, Dunhill Edition, Eau Sauvage, TF Azure Lime

Last night I wore Etro - Patchouly as my SOTE. I have come to the conclusion that I love to smell Patchouli dominant scents for a short while, but I quickly grow tired of them on my skin. Montale - Patchouli Leaves and Etro - Patchouly are my faves in this genre, but I don't feel moved to wear them really. I love to sniff them for 15 minutes though.

I think I prefer scents that feature Patchouli in a more supportive and harmonious role...Rive Gauche Pour Homme Intense, Heritage, Rochas Lui are a few examples.
    Last edited by Jock_With_Scents; 3rd October 2007 at 04:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by trumpet_guy View Post
    Don't neglect to consider Givenchy Gentleman.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ged View Post
    Surprised there's only been one mention of Givenchy Gentleman. Pure patchouli to my nose, powerful but refined at the same time. cheap and accessible too.
    Bingo! I was biting at the bit to mention Gentleman, and had to wait to nearly the end of this lengthy thread to see two mentions of it. While not quite "pure" patchouli to my nose, patchouli is its major and dominant note, and is well-blended and refined as mentioned. For a patchouli scent I prefer it to either Patchouli Leaves or Patchouli Patch.

Basenotes Plus

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by graffham View Post
    Hi gents and ladies,

I was able to log on this afternoon and I had forgotten how!?! Glad to see everyone is back.

I want a patchouli based fragrance, preferably an edp strength. I have heard of the Mazzolari Patchouli and that it is no wimp. Is this the route to take? I know it's a bit pricey.
    The new Gucci by Gucci is just out and is $80US for 50 ml. Very big on patchouli, all the way through. A kind of fruity-floral chypre, but dark, not sweet.

Of course, there's always Guerlain Héritage.
    Last edited by JaimeB; 3rd October 2007 at 11:20 PM.
    Yr good bud,

JaimeB

"Why spend life seeking that which does not satisfy? Why remain a slave, when freedom waits? Let your life shine; illumine the world with your truth!"

My Wardrobe
    My Reviews

Fiat justitia ruat cælum.

Let justice be done, even if the sky should fall.

Lucius Calpurnius Piso Caesoninus

Qui nihil potest sperare, desperet nihil.
    Let him who can hope for nothing despair of nothing.

Male irato ferrum committitur.
    It is an evil thing to arm an angry man.
    —Seneca