Code of Conduct

Default Serge Lutens, Louve: First Impression

Louve is a lightweight almond musk with touches of rose and jasmine in the heart and a dash of vanilla mingling with the white musk in the base. It's as light as I expected and worked very well in the triple-digit heat today. Louve reminds me more of Keiko Mecheri's Loukhoum--a much lighter and less powdery version-- rather than SL's own Rahat Loukoum. The haute concentration formulation gives Louve outstanding longevity. I can still smell traces of the musk eight hours after applying.

The sent of almond extract is very prominent in the opening. A few minutes following application, the almond settles to a more muted almond scent similar to the almond in marzipan. Most almond notes I've smelled before resemble almond flavored syrup or strong almond extract. But the almond in Louve is softer and less syrupy sweet than other almond notes I've experienced.

Almond reigns supreme in the heart with jasmine and rose added to its court. I could never discern the rose note but I easily found a bit of jasmine. A soft, subtle jasmine that seemed to be playing hide and seek as the almond slowly faded into the musky, slightly vanillic base.

After about the three hours, the musk in the base finished the day and last for hours.

Bottom line: I like this "she-wolf" and will very likely buy a bottle for fall wear.

Basenotes Institution

Default Re: Serge Lutens, Louve: First Impression

Great Michael. Thanks!

Most almond notes I've detected (when I'm looking for them) seem to powder-up the scent I'm smelling. Maybe it's just a coincidence. Is the almond in Louve, nutty smelling? You know, perhaps in a dry roasted way?

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    Is the almond in Louve, nutty smelling? You know, perhaps in a dry roasted way?
    Good question. My perception is that the almond is more fresh than roasted, just not quite as loud as pure almond extract. Not quite as nutty or woody as roasted almonds.
    Last edited by Sloan; 10th August 2007 at 09:50 PM.

summer means fireflys

Louve sounds wonderful ... did you get a cherry note at all?

I forgot, is Louve part of the export or exclusive line?
    I've trademarked the color bleu

Thanks so much for your as-always-excellent review. (And for continuing to post here!!) Convinces me to stay with KM's Loukhoum (if ever I get the clams together!!)
    "The world is ruled by letting things take their course. It cannot be ruled by interfering." Lao Tze

Quote Originally Posted by shadesofbleu View Post
    Louve sounds wonderful ... did you get a cherry note at all?

I forgot, is Louve part of the export or exclusive line?
    Yes, I detected a cherry note that I always get from almond extract, amaretto liquer etc. and it was mostly in the opening. Louve is part of the export line. Hoping it will land on the shores of the US in September.
    --------------------------------------
    Quote Originally Posted by Taolady View Post
    Thanks so much for your as-always-excellent review. (And for continuing to post here!!) Convinces me to stay with KM's Loukhoum (if ever I get the clams together!!)
    Wise choice Tao. KM Loukhoum is my favorite of the loukoum fragrances I have tested.

Louve is an excellent alternative for those who want something lighter than a loukoum fragrance.
    Last edited by Sloan; 10th August 2007 at 11:23 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by sloan_8013 View Post
    Yes, I detected a cherry note that I always get from almond extract, amaretto liquer etc. and it was mostly in the opening.
    So, its got cherry and almond. Is it sweet then (in a candy/nougat smelling way)?

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    So, its got cherry and almond. Is it sweet then (in a candy/nougat smelling way)?
    Only in the top notes. If you smell the bottle, you would likely form the impression that it's another loukoum gourmand fragrance; however, I think Louve is more of a light skin scent than a rich gourmand. Louve seems to fit nicley between SLS's Clair de Musc and Rahat Loukoum.

Thanks Michael for the great review.
    I like the gourmands in particular Rahät Loukoum and KM's Loukhoum or anything with a bit of almond or nuts (Chypre Rouge is another) . I better start saving some money for the Louve, I tend to think it this is going to be a late release in Asia.

sounds fabulous must try this one soon

It was one of many samples I tested today. Well, first of, I am not particularly fond of almond in perfume. My second thing is what almonds have to do with the wolves? (my dog's paws smell of Tostito brand corn chips when she is asleep, BTW). And thirdly, having said what I have just said, and despite the relatively short longevity so unlike SL, there is something about it that makes me want to return to it in a few weeks. Will definitely retest by itself for the full day of wear.

Sounds very nice. Oh dear. I already have too many perfumes.

Sounds terrific. I'm having a bit of an almond thing at the moment - I'm wearing lots of Farnesiana and am lusting after the Laura Mercier almond and coconut thing (which I do not intend to buy, because frankly it's a bit...bathtimeish).

Is it in any way similar to People of the Labyrinths Luctor et Emergo?

Quote Originally Posted by Irena View Post
    Is it in any way similar to People of the Labyrinths Luctor et Emergo?
    Not to my nose.

"Louve reminds me more of Keiko Mecheri's Loukhoum"...

Wouldn't it be hilarious if Lutens started copying Mecheri?

The notes from amaretto? How I would have loved it if those notes were to stay constant. I am not a fan of a majority of loukhoum fragrances.

Quote Originally Posted by MidnightCobaltique View Post
    "Louve reminds me more of Keiko Mecheri's Loukhoum"...

Wouldn't it be hilarious if Lutens started copying Mecheri?
    That's exactly what I thought when I tried my sample of Louve today.

I am quite happy with my KM Loukhoum, thank you.

Basenotes Institution

A review of Louve, posted today at NowSmellThis: http://nowsmellthis.blogharbor.com/b...1/3172886.html

Her description, which references almond and baby powder does not sound good to me...