Code of Conduct

Default Helmut Lang Cuiron - How good is it?

Thinking about getting this blind on Ebay. How good is this? Is it the "holy grail" of leather? Comments and hyperbole, please.
    "I exist for myself, and for those to whom my unquenchable thirst for freedom gives everything, but also for everyone, since insofar as I am able to love - I love everyone. Of noble hearts, I am the noblest - and the most generous of those that yearn to give love in return. - I am a human being, I love death and I love life."

Egon Schiele - Self-Potrait

My classics: Dior Homme EdT, YSL Rive Gauche PH, Helmut Lang Cuiron, L'Occitane Neroli (vintage), Davidoff Zino, L'Occitane Eau des Baux

http://www.basenotes.net/wardrobe/2976

Default Re: Helmut Lang Cuiron - How good is it?

It's the holy grail of sweet leathers. I have the EDC and wish it would last longer.
    Renato

I have bottles of Creed Royal English Leather & Cuiron. On me the Creed is linear, while the Cuiron evolves down into an outstanding (somewhat sweet) and reasonably long-lasting base. My teenage daughter says the Creed smells like a Porta-Potty. I like them both and have only been complimented on the Cuiron. Between the two I like Cuiron a little more - it's good stuff.

I tried it a while ago...smelled like "spanish leather". Its got that turpentine harsh gaseous leather note (reminiscent of Knize Ten's torture chamber) with some plum and musk...masquerades as Serge Lutens Cuir Mauresque's mini-me, but isn't as refined or complex.

Eitherways, you can't go wrong at $30 odd for the bottle.
    -

Quote Originally Posted by zztopp View Post
    I tried it a while ago...smelled like "spanish leather". Its got that turpentine harsh gaseous leather note (reminiscent of Knize Ten's torture chamber) with some plum and musk...masquerades as Serge Lutens Cuir Mauresque's mini-me, but isn't as refined or complex.

Eitherways, you can't go wrong at $30 odd for the bottle.

Hey zz,

I'd like to know where one can get even a 1.6 oz bottle of Cuiron for $30.00 odd.

The starting price for a bottle on eBay--as far as I know, the only place one can now find it--is $74.95:

http://health-beauty.search.ebay.com...refinesearchZ1

Basenoters would be advised to check the Basenotes Marketplace first before buying on eBay. For example, I just sold a 1.6 oz bottle of Cuiron (NIB) two days ago for $39.00 plus $4.60 shipping.

scentemental

P.S. How good is Cuiron? As a leather fragrance, it sets a new benchmark. That's how good it is IMO.

Last edited by scentemental; 11th August 2007 at 04:44 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by scentemental View Post
    Basenoters would be advised to check the Basenotes Marketplace first before buying on eBay. For example, I just sold a 1.6 oz bottle of Cuiron (NIB) two days ago for $39.00 plus $4.60 shipping.
    It was probably your sale thread I was thinking about. Or maybe it was scentiments. $40 yes, $90 no.
    -

I bought this blind last year & i love it every time i wear it.

If you're into leather (harhar) you should get it, since it is not just very good, but different from any other one I know - it neither has the oriental sweetness of REL, nor the tarriness of birchy leathers, it's more "modern" than Knize 10 or Spanish Leather, and more playful than Aigner's straightforward In Leather.
    My Wardrobe
    II est de forts parfums pour qui toute matière/Est poreuse. On dirait qu'ils pénètrent le verre.

Overrated & weak. Plus, kinda weird.

Buy CM Spanish Leather for far less. It's a superior scent at a bargain price.

BTW, full bottle of Aigner's In Leather" for sale.

I liked it but found it to have zero sillage. Although it stays very close to the skin, its longevity is amazing (at least 12 hours). I eventually sold my 50ml bottle for about £50.

Basenotes Institution

Michael (sloan_8013) wore this, this past week...he complained about the longevity. I didnt' like Knize Ten when I tried it. Honestly, no other leather has quite 'got' me like Tuscan Leather by Tom Ford. Which, I cannot afford right now.

Must sniff Cuiron for myself soon.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    Michael (sloan_8013) wore this, this past week...he complained about the longevity. I didnt' like Knize Ten when I tried it. Honestly, no other leather has quite 'got' me like Tuscan Leather by Tom Ford. Which, I cannot afford right now.

Must sniff Cuiron for myself soon.
    I wore Cuiron this past Thursday. Applied a total of 5-6 sprays over neck, chest, and arms combined. It started to fade after about four hours and was almost completely gone after six hours. Perhaps that's Cuiron's nature. I can handle that level of longevity in a fragrance if I really like the scent (Angeliques sous la Pluie), but in Cuiron's case I prefer other leather scents, such as Cuir Ottoman and Cuir Mauresque. I also prefer the suede in Dior Homme, Daim Blond, and Film Noir. Cuiron is a good leather scent and I understand why so many like it;however, it's not for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Trebor View Post
    I liked it but found it to have zero sillage. Although it stays very close to the skin, its longevity is amazing (at least 12 hours). I eventually sold my 50ml bottle for about £50.
    That's an amazing sale price. I bought my 50ml bottle of Curion at Harrod's sale two years ago for 14 pounds.
    Renato

I agree that it doesn't have a lot of sillage, but that's not the point of this fragrance. It's designed to stay close and be a personal one for only those you want to experience it. The true brilliance of this scent is in the orange note though. It uses orange brilliantly to accent the leather. I can't see how you go wrong with this one. A pity it's discontinued.

I posted a request for further information re: leather scents a few months ago that solicited many replies. All of the usual suspects were mentioned, but I had whittled the feedback down to a couple of leather scents. I chose Cuiron and obtained a bottle. It is a serious leather scent--be prepared. But it is fantastic, and I agree that it will be a long-lasting scent to be enjoyed mostly by the wearer.

Nonetheless, another recommendation has resulted in a much higher degree of satisfaction on my part--that recommendation was for Miller Harris's Cuir d'Oranger. I bought a bottle from a fellow Basenoter, and that bottle is among the first-tier of my collection of scents. I would recommend Cd'O very, very highly. The leather of Cuiron, but softened by citrus. Check it out!

cheers,

c.1905

Quote Originally Posted by Renato View Post
    That's an amazing sale price. I bought my 50ml bottle of Curion at Harrod's sale two years ago for 14 pounds.
    Renato
    Yes, I was amazed myself until I checked eBay and realised that there were only testers for sale. Supplies of non-tester bottles of Cuiron seem to be dwindling fast.

Ok, Cuiron arrived yesterday and I'm wearing it now...Holy grail? No, more like the Holy Trinity! Words like "stunning", "awe-inspiring", "blown-away" come to mind. I could sit for hours on end in a maximum-security prison cell with a bottle of Cuiron and be transported to heaven. This stuff is special. Goes to the top of all my lists. Simply intoxicating and mesmerizing. Beg, borrow or steal this now!

Disclaimer: I will not be held accountable for any budgets busted, laws broken or animals harmed in obtaining Cuiron.
    "I exist for myself, and for those to whom my unquenchable thirst for freedom gives everything, but also for everyone, since insofar as I am able to love - I love everyone. Of noble hearts, I am the noblest - and the most generous of those that yearn to give love in return. - I am a human being, I love death and I love life."

Egon Schiele - Self-Potrait

My classics: Dior Homme EdT, YSL Rive Gauche PH, Helmut Lang Cuiron, L'Occitane Neroli (vintage), Davidoff Zino, L'Occitane Eau des Baux

http://www.basenotes.net/wardrobe/2976

"Disclaimer: I will not be held accountable for any budgets busted, laws broken or animals harmed in obtaining Cuiron."

LOLOLOLOLOL -- I have said the same thing about JHL and Musc Ravageur many, many times. (All except the "animals harmed" part. Make that "SAs harmed" and I'm perfectly OK with it, though -- <G>.)

Peggy: "Right now, we have to get to the mental institution. Something terrible has happened."
    Latrelle: "What?"
    Peggy: "Brother Boy has tried to kill himself. He jumped out of his bedroom window."
    Latrelle: "Isn't he only on the second floor?"
    Peggy: "Yes, but he hit his head on a lawn gnome."
    Fr. Sordid Lives: The Series
    "Live, live, live! Life is a banquet, and most poor suckers are starving to death."
    Auntie Mame
    [/B]

Cuiron could be the weirdest thing I've ever smelled. I look forward to the cooler weather so I can wear it more often.
    Lately I've been wearing:
    Windsor, Bois de Santal, Original Santal, Elixir, Douro, Endymion, Reflection, Arcus, Marwah

I've been milking the last little bit left in my bottle. Great stuff.
    Are you not entertained??? Is this not why you are here??