Code of Conduct

Default Updated Poll Concerning Purchasing Creed

You may have noticed, but Neiman Marcus has upped their Creed prices by about $30 or so a bottle. I've been partial to Tabarome (new) for a few years now and the 4 oz. bottle costs $225 from Neiman Marcus and $89.99 at theperfumespot.com. I'm just curious as to how many of you that keep Creed in your present wardrobe purchase it at retail as opposed to buying it at discount online somewhere. Personally, I've purchased various Creeds from Neiman as well as Parfums Raffy... and then also from online sources such as theperfumespot.com and have "never" been able to tell a difference whatsoever. I admit it has worried me somewhat purchasing these that have been shipped overseas and exposed to supposedly bad conditions, but I just want to take a poll on whether you purchase your Creed at retail or at discount.

Default Re: Updated Poll Concerning Purchasing Creed

Son of a civet scraper, I just checked online, you are right !

I was at Neimans 2 weeks ago and they hadnt increased their prices then. I guess this was to be expected after Lutens and L'Artisan bumped up the cost of their juices 2 months ago. Apparently shifting massive quantities of 4oz. Virgin Island Water (the recent best seller) didn't satiate Creed's thirst for the american green.

I have only bought retail twice: SMW and Neroli Sauvage. I had received too many "uneven" bottles and decants of these, so decided to take the plunge and purchased 1 oz fresh bottles from Saks and Neimans. No more overly fruity-berry SMW or turbo charged bitter orange Neroli Sauvage for me.
    -

I've bought from both online and in store...in store always has the edge, especially with MI. Totally noticeable difference.

TNMA
    "Why not seize the pleasure at once?"
    -- Jane Austen (Sun, and Mercury in Sagittarius)

I just bought a 8.4 oz flacon of Santal Imperial from Parfumsraffy and a fifth of it leaked in transit. That makes 7 out of 10 flacons I've had shipped in the last 3 years that have leaked. So much for setting the benchmark for craftsmanship. They really ought to come out of the Middle Ages and spend a few pennies for a Lutens style plastic covering on their stoppers and do all their legions of screwed over fans a favor; it's disgraceful, especially for a company that's so full of their own immaculateness. I sent the bottle back and was told by one of the Parfumraffy sales assistants that it was the third flacon that week that was returned because of leakage problems. Apart leakage is a common problem with the flacons according to the said sales assistant.

What's the point of all this. Well the point is that the Creed distribution system remains a mystery expect perhaps to the inner sanctum of the Creed family, I suspect. I thought that ordering from Parfumsraffy I was going to get an absolutely new flacon. I didn't. How do I know that? Simple, the new flacons I have observed from a recent purchase of Bois du Portugal have the creed coat of arms on the bottles and/or a sticker on the box which meets the EC/IFRA disclosure requirements for certain aromachemicals. Unless you have one of those bottles with the coat of arms on the actual bottle and/or a sticker listing the EC/IFRA aromachemicals to be found in the Creed fragrances--yes folks, Creed does use aromachemicals contrary to the popular myth of Creed purity--you probably don't have a new bottle. I say "probably" because along with most of you, I can't be really sure that that's the and only way to tell if one has a new bottle or not. And so much for buying from one of their official supplier: leaking flacons and possibly old stock, certainly a compromised fragrance with 1/5th of it gone and the flacon clearly not being air tight.

I will also tell you this, when I called the local Neiman Marcus about Santal Imperial--I was now determined to only buy from a store and not have a Creed ever shipped to me again--, they had no idea how to get their hands on a new flacon of Santal Imperial and were in quite a quandary in efforts to fulfill my request. It was quite touching to see all those Neiman Marcus sales assistants in a such a flap. From what I could ascertain, it appears even an official supplier such as Neiman Marcus doesn't have a direct Creed contact. It seems they had to go through a bunch of middle men to figure out how to get a flacon of this magical juice. Waiting time, 2 weeks, and that's not guaranteed. It all sounds very dubious and simply confirms what I have observed all along, and that is, that buying a Creed is essentially a crap shoot. Official supplier, e-retailer, or eBayer, the results are varied and mind-boggling as the many threads posted in buyer confusion and frustration will attest to.

In fairness to the anfractuous complexities of Creed's distribution and quality control system, of course, I could be entirely wrong about all this. I am just extrapolating from my own personal experience, limited as it is.

Your humble, obedient servant always,

scentemental

Last edited by scentemental; 11th August 2007 at 06:09 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by scentemental View Post

What's the point of all this. Well the point is that the Creed distribution system remains a mystery expect perhaps to the inner sanctum of the Creed family, I suspect. I thought that ordering from Parfumsraffy I was going to get an absolutely new flacon. I didn't. How do I know that? Simple, the new flacons I have observed from a recent purchase of Bois du Portugal have the creed coat of arms on the bottles and/or a sticker on the box which meets the EC/IFRA disclosure requirements for certain aromachemicals. Unless you have one of those bottles with the coat of arms on the actual bottle and/or a sticker listing the EC/IFRA aromachemicals to be found in the Creed fragrances--yes folks Creed does use aromachemicals, sorry to be the one to disabuse you all--you probably don't have a new bottle. I say "probably" because along with most of you, I can't be really sure that that's the way to tell. And so much for buying from one of their official supplier: leaking flacons and possibly old stock.
    Thanks for the insight Scentemental, I just checked the boxes of SMW from Neimans, and Neroli Sauvage from Saks (bought within the past month) and Santal Imperial from Saks (given to me as a gift, bough from the same local Saks early summer).

Theres no sticker of any sorts regarding the ingredients list in either Neroli Sauvage or Santal Imperial.

The SMW from Neimans though has the ingredients sticker, with the following info:

Lot: AF02S07
    Ingredients/contains: Alcohol denat, Aqua(water), Parfum, Methyl 2-Octynoate, Limonene, ButylPhenyl methylpropional, citronellol

I looked up my box of Original Vetiver bought from fragrancenet.com and sure enough, it had the sticker, with the following info:

**lot number is blocked out**
    Ingredients: Alcohol denat, parfum, benzyl alcohol, cinnamyl alcohol, citral, eugenol, iso eugenol, benzyl salycylate, cinnamal coumarin, geraniol, anise alcohol, benzyl cinnamate, farnesol, linalool, benzyl benzoate, citronellol, lemonene

A google search on the ingredients highlighted above reveals that almost all of them are naturally occurring organic compounds but can cause allergies and skin irritation. So just because an ingredient is natural doesn't mean its 100% safe.
    -

I have never paid full retail for a Creed and in all likelihood never will. I don't see the point, especially considering what scentemental posted - it just always seems to be a va banque game. Up to this point I believe all my Creeds bought of BNers and ebay have been in perfect condition, though I am not entirely sure about Neroli Sauvage anymore.
    My Wardrobe
    II est de forts parfums pour qui toute matière/Est poreuse. On dirait qu'ils pénètrent le verre.

DON'T DRINK AND DRESS

Blog Entries

With a two bottle exception and a host of decant from Basenoters, I have bought all the Creed products I now own (testers one and all) from eBay seller Creedirect at very healthy discounts from retail, most in the $35-$45 range + shipping.

Contrary to the posted experiences of some, she was very prompt in shipping and very generous in upgrading at no additional cost to me sizes of bottles if I had ordered a 2.5oz to a 4.0 oz on several occasions. The bottles from her were all purchased after the decants and they were basically the same scent IMO.
    Last edited by kbe; 11th August 2007 at 12:11 PM.
    Our job is to live joyfully in this world of sorrows--Joseph Campbell

My Creeds have all been online purchases. I have obtained several (free) Creed samples from department stores to help me with my buy decisions (does that make me bad?) but I won't pay retail for the stuff. My nose isn't "tuned" enough to pickup minor aging differences in the juices.

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Mikey Q View Post
    My Creeds have all been online purchases..... My nose isn't "tuned" enough to pickup minor aging differences in the juices. Mike
    I'm with HIM!!

As a relative newie/apprentice I'm still exploring and am HUGELY grateful to you more knowledgeable guys for this kind of sharing. In a short while I went from being a pooh-pooh-er of Creeds to being an addict - will keep all of this in mind when I've amassed enough clams to acquire some more.
    "The world is ruled by letting things take their course. It cannot be ruled by interfering." Lao Tze

How many people besides me had to look up 'anfractuous'?

Great report Scentemental

Thanks for the new word.

Leaky flacons suck!!

Quote Originally Posted by kbe View Post
    With a two bottle exception and a host of decant from Basenoters, I have bought all the Creed products I now own (testers one and all) from eBay seller Creedirect at very healthy discounts from retail, most in the $35-$45 range + shipping.

Contrary to the posted experiences of some, she was very prompt in shipping and very generous in upgrading at no additional cost to me sizes of bottles if I had ordered a 2.5oz to a 4.0 oz on several occasions. The bottles from her were all purchased after the decants and they were basically the same scent IMO.
    http://myworld.ebay.com/creedirect/ She has no items for sale....?
    [SIZE=3][SIZE=2]"We are fast approaching the stage of the ultimate inversion: the stage where the government is free to do anything it pleases, while the citizens may act only by permission; which is the stage of the darkest periods of human history, the stage of rule by brute force." Ayn Rand...[/SIZE][/SIZE]

"The essence of fascism is to make laws forbidding everything and then enforce them selectively against your enemies."
    [URL="http://www.basenotes.net/wardrobe/2755"][COLOR=green]
    [INDENT]Daily Wardrobe [/INDENT][/COLOR]
    [/URL]

Caveat emptor indeed. A few months ago, I sent an email message to Parfums Raffy concerning the derivation of the lot number on Creed bottles. I thought they would know because they are an official Creed retailer. I was told that the lot number possibly indicated the date of production and that not every bottle they received had a lot number on it. This raised a red flag, an official Creed retailer receiving inconsistent product. Why would an official Creed retailer be receiving bottles without lot numbers? Would those with missing lot numbers possibly be older bottles slated for gray market sale? From where did they receive their stock of Creed? I only own one Creed and I don't know if I will be buying any more because as scentemental said, "buying a Creed is essentially a crap shoot." This is problematic for both consumer and retailer. IMO Creed needs to address product quality control and rethink their distribution system.
    Last edited by Sloan; 11th August 2007 at 02:50 PM.

I have a retail bottle of GIT without the lot number on the bottom of the back of the flask. I have an online bottle of OV with the lot number. I have a retail bottle of OS with the lot number. You are correct--don't expect consistency.

With regard to the quality of the juices, I took a sample of my online-purchased OV juice to Neiman Marcus and compared it to that from a retail tester. The only perceptible difference I (and the SA) could detect was that the initial citrus blast from my juice was somewhat muted compared to the sparkle of the retail juice. I (and the SA) attributed that to the age of the bottle. Since the topnotes are the most volatile, I was not terribly concerned. An hour later, and four hours later, I could detect absolutely no difference.

--------------------------------------
    Quote Originally Posted by sloan_8013 View Post
    . . . IMO Creed needs to address product quality control and rethink their distribution system.
    Ahem to that brother!

I might also add that Creed's indifference to its consumers and retailers in this regard is quite staggering and unique. An index of how sloppy and unprofessional their whole operation is can be seen from their new official website, which even though it has been up for at least 6 to 8 months now is still incomplete. It's still impossible to get any information on the eaux de toilettes. What, they can't afford to hire some commoner to input the information? Like I said, quite staggering and unique.

scentemental

Quote Originally Posted by Lightninrod View Post

That's not surprising since the items they've been selling for the last two and a half to three years were stock that was left over when they ceased being an official Creed supplier. It had to run out some day.

scentemental

Quote Originally Posted by zztopp View Post
    . . . Thanks for the insight Scentemental, I just checked the boxes of SMW from Neimans, and Neroli Sauvage from Saks (bought within the past month) and Santal Imperial from Saks (given to me as a gift, bough from the same local Saks early summer).

Theres no sticker of any sorts regarding the ingredients list in either Neroli Sauvage or Santal Imperial.

The SMW from Neimans though has the ingredients sticker, with the following info:

Lot: AF02S07
    Ingredients/contains: Alcohol denat, Aqua(water), Parfum, Methyl 2-Octynoate, Limonene, ButylPhenyl methylpropional, citronellol

I looked up my box of Original Vetiver bought from fragrancenet.com and sure enough, it had the sticker, with the following info:

**lot number is blocked out**
    Ingredients: Alcohol denat, parfum, benzyl alcohol, cinnamyl alcohol, citral, eugenol, iso eugenol, benzyl salycylate, cinnamal coumarin, geraniol, anise alcohol, benzyl cinnamate, farnesol, linalool, benzyl benzoate, citronellol, lemonene

A google search on the ingredients highlighted above reveals that almost all of them are naturally occurring organic compounds but can cause allergies and skin irritation. So just because an ingredient is natural doesn't mean its 100% safe.
    While they might be "naturally occurring organic compounds," most of these aroma chemicals are chemically isolated in the laboratory in many cases from pertroleum derivates and organic compounds that have no relationship to the end product. Their purity is not in question. In fact, when one derives these naturally occuring compounds from natural sources, they tend to contain impurities that are very difficult and expensive to remove. The laboratory isolated compounds are always entirely pure, cheaper to manufacture, and more consistent.

But the point I want to make here is that, in short, they are isolated in the lab and are commonly used aroma chemicals, without which no modern day fragrance is possible. These are important distinctions to remember when reading the Creed's vague, undifferentiated claims about how pure and natural their products are. I'd say there about as pure and natural as most products on the market and less so than say something by Profumum. To their credit, they do claim on their website that Creed fragrances "contain the highest percentage of natural components in the French Perfume industry". If they didn't, that claim would simply be false.

Creed is less sui generis than they would have one believe. In their newer fragrances of the last two years, I do sense more modernized and standardized formulae and production practices, and I think that's a good thing. While I am just amateur going on a little bit of knowledge and a lot of common sense and intuition, I don't think we'll see as many problems with the consistency and quality with the likes of something like Virgin Island Water as we have seen with earlier Creed products.

scentemental

P.S. Not wanting to be seen
    only as the cantankerous Creed criticizing curmudgeon that I am, I will say that their new releases in the last few years have been quite impressive, interesting, and original. For my money, though, and for what it's worth, Santal Imperial, and many of the older eaux de toilettes are really beautiful examples of the perfumer's art.

Last edited by scentemental; 11th August 2007 at 04:01 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

DON'T DRINK AND DRESS

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Lightninrod View Post

That happens on her eBay site from time to time Lightnin..

She usually is back on in a week or two with new items.
    Our job is to live joyfully in this world of sorrows--Joseph Campbell

Quote Originally Posted by kbe View Post
    That happens on her eBay site from time to time Lightnin..

She usually is back on in a week or two with new items.

kbe,

I would qualify the word "new" items here since the whole point about Creedirect selling off their Creed stock was that Creed cut them off as one of its official authorized resellers because the same people who were running Creedirect started up Bond No. 9 New York.
    I might be entirely wrong, and I stand to be corrected, but I don't think Creedirect has an inside line to any "new" stock.

scentemental

Last edited by scentemental; 11th August 2007 at 08:56 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by scentemental View Post

To their credit, they do claim on their website that Creed fragrances "contain the highest percentage of natural components in the French Perfume industry". If they didn't, that claim would simply be false.

Creed is less sui generis than they would have one believe. In their newer fragrances of the last two years, I do sense more modernized and standardized formulae and production practices, and I think that's a good thing.

Scentemental, what does that quote about the highest percentage of natural components mean ? And are you saying its true ? Also, I would be very interested in the differences between the modern and "old style" of perfumery that you talk about; can you give us some examples of fragrances which adhere to the two styles? If you can't elaborate on it fully, then some web links would be great !

Someone needs to get into the Creed boutique/headquarters and see what really goes on there. If I recall correctly, Geo F. Trumper makes similar (but less blunt) claims about employees hand pressing oils for their fragrances...and it was a Basenotes article by a former GFT employee which mentioned that, if I recall correctly.

It seems like Erwin Creed (and his family friend Romano Ricci, of the house of Nina Ricci and of "Juliette has a gun" fame) are more businessmen than noses - that could be both a good and a bad thing, because it could lead Creed to a more diverse modern fragrance portfolio (with less focus on "green and fresh" fragrances) and bad in the sense that Erwin Creed's fragrance credentials are not fully established yet Creed promotes him as the face of the house now.

As for Creedirect, everything that Scentemental says is true - they used to have a wide and varied Creed stock about an year or so ago, but that has dwindled recently.

I am a proponent of strict, harsh yet fair criticism - if a company can't back up their claims, I say off with their heads !
    -