Code of Conduct

Thread: Portland, OR

Default Portland, OR

There is an amazing shop in Portland, Oregon. Lucky (and dangerous) for me, I live within walking distance of it!

The Perfume House sells online as well, but walking in is a stunning experience. I went in looking for the ever-vague 'something new', and after listening to what I had been wearing, letting me sniff some things I had read about, and making some recommendations, I walked out with a bottle of magic.

The Perfume House is at 3328 SE Hawthorne Blvd.

Just a few blocks away is Escential. They carry a custom line of bath and body products that you can have custom scented, as well as carrying a smattering of other lines.

Escential is at 3638 SE Hawthorne Blvd.

Talking Re: Portland, OR

I was in Portland visiting family for the holiday weekend, and paid my first visit to The Perfume House. It is very special, indeed. I was there for almost two hours, but could have stayed for four. The selection is fantastic and the people who helped me are delightful and welcoming. If I lived in this city, I don't think I'd ever go back to a department store perfume counter.

Talking Re: Portland, OR

The Perfume House really is amazing. The selection is fantastic, and the people who work there are wonderful. The woman who helped me last week spent nearly an hour dashing between the counter and the storage room, fetching two or three testers whenever I mentioned a new scent. Not once was she the least bit pushy or impatient. Once I find my holy grail, this is definitely the place where I'll buy it!

Default Re: Portland, OR

Best place ever!

I haven't been to the Perfume house yet (though I used to live right next to it!). I'm a perfume newbie so I'm still a little intimidated.

Today I had a fantastic experience at the JC Penny Sephora at Washington Square! I've been there a couple times before and was helped by the same lady who was nice but sort of had that typical department store vibe, which makes me a bit nervous. This time there were two incredibly nice people and it was the best experience I've had in a perfume store yet! They were really helpful and made me feel very comfortable. They offered me a ton of samples and taught me a lot about the different perfumes. It's too bad I don't think they work on commission because if ever anyone deserved it I think it's them. I'll probably ask if they have comment cards or something next time.

Blog Entries

When I go to Portland sniffing I cannot always go to the wonderful Perfume House since it's out of the way. But I make it my birthday destination and it was wonderful! Selection and people, both absolutely fabulous, not to be missed!

But when there's no time for that, a Pioneer street mall is a nice place too. I had great fun and luck trying things out in the L'Occitane boutique located there and the Saks 5th Avenue there is also very nice.

Friday's schedule has a rather large hole in it and it is very likely a trip to the Perfume House is going to be what fills that hole. After living in PDX for 22 years, I just discovered the store even existed only a couple weeks ago. That and Fred's Sound of Music need a visit.

The Perfume House is just that : a house in the Hawthorne district which has been converted into a store that sells nothing but perfume.

I'm a bit of a newbie, but know enough to tell that they carry just about anything you might hope to see: they are basically floor to ceiling with juice in 4-5 rooms. The full line of Amouage ( the president of the company was due to stop by the day we were there ! ) and the complete lines of many other high-end brands. They've been at this location for over 30 years, and it's hard to imagine another shop with as many things as they carry.

And... the folks there are as nice as they can be. Plus they were kind enough ( after my sister asked if they had a sample we might take home ) to send each of us out with a big Amouage spray sample.

( I must admit that I did mentioned the magic word "Basenotes" and that may have gained us some extra traction. )

Folks come from far and wide to visit, so a place not to be missed in while in Portland. If you find yourself in downtown, simply head east over the river on the Hawthorne Bridge and you'll find it at 33rd and Hawthorne, right in the heart of the very coolest section of the east side of town.
    Last edited by Birdboy48; 2nd August 2011 at 03:54 AM.

Nordstrom's downtown carries Bond and a decent selection. Very helpful too.

Perfume House has an amazing selection and is very helpful on the first visit but be warned, if you don't buy anything (they were out of the two scents I wanted) they become very surly future visits. A great place to go once but bring your wallet and make sure to buy something.

The first time I went in I smelled about 6 different fragrances and they were very helpful and gave me a tiny sample of Black Oud. The second time I went in and asked if they could educate me on oud, something I was completely unfamiliar with and they were not nearly as helpful simply telling me if I smelled a couple of fragrances with oud I would know what it was. The third time I went in and asked how much the Montale perfumes cost (I was ready to buy) and just getting a price was like pulling teeth. After the third question I was finally told that Black Aoud was $200 but they were out. I asked about Ambre Sultan and they were out of that too. Then I asked about Yatagan and guess what, they were out of that too. So, the three fragrances I wanted were out of stock and instead of offering when they might be back in stock they simply asked me "what are you going to buy?" I walked out and may never go back regardless of their amazing selection of hard to find fragrances.

I immediately went home and ordered Black Aoud from Montale in Paris with extra concentration for about $130 and Ambre Sultan from an on-line retailer that had a lower regular price and a 15% off coupon, total cost of about $85. So they lost my sale that would have been $320 and may have lost a customer forever, and I got the same fragrances for $215. I am glad to have the same items and very happy to have an extra $105 in my pocket.

Update:
    I have not been in this store since August last year. I decided to go in again last week because I was looking to buy Knize Ten which I remember they had on my last visit. I walked in and asked specifically for this and here is how the conversation went...

"I'm looking for Knize Ten."
    "We don't have it."
    "You used to carry this."
    "We still do but we are out of stock right now."
    "When do you expect to get it in again?"
    "I don't know..."
    "Can you check?"
    "No. It comes from Canada or Mexico or someplace, I'm not sure. It's on order."
    "Can you put me on the list and give me a call when it comes in?"
    "No. You won't get it...there are too many people on the waiting list already."
    Last edited by Akahina; 23rd July 2012 at 09:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Daryl J. View Post
    Friday's schedule has a rather large hole in it and it is very likely a trip to the Perfume House is going to be what fills that hole. After living in PDX for 22 years, I just discovered the store even existed only a couple weeks ago. That and Fred's Sound of Music need a visit.
    Okay, I'm impressed! Somebody else knows about Fred's Sound of Music!!! <hehehehehehe>
    The anti-niche biche. I do not believe that excessive cost comes with a guarantee of quality. Perfume snobs beware - when you flare your nostrils like that, I can see the boogers.

Had a very interesting experience at The Perfume House today.

I stopped in to show one of the SA's who's a friend of mine some of the peonies which I hybridize, and afterwards I stayed to do some sniffing around. It was quiet : just myself and a couple of scruffy and somewhat unlikely looking fellows, both of whom looked like they could use a shave, and who were just basically sniffing around like I was.

I looked at the one fellow once....then I looked at him again, and damned if it was not Andy Taure, along with Brian Pera, the fellow he's been collaborating on those movies with. They were not there to promote their line (the PH does not sell Andy's stuff..yet) but appeared to basically be tourists in town who had stopped by to chat with the SA's and check the place out.

We talked about my peonies, and movies, and a bunch of other stuff, and basically I got to hang out with the two of them and sniff perfume for an hour or so.

It made my day, if not my month, I must admit.

I had no idea this place existed, and I live right next to downtown Portland! I'll definitely have to go, but Akahina's post has concerned me a tad. I always order online, as I am a student and don't have much money, so I always try to stretch my dollar as much as possible. I would love to go in to the Perfume House to sniff often, but I don't think I'll ever buy from a perfumery in person... I suppose the Perfume House might only be worth a few visits before they tire of me.

BLACKBIRD
    1306 SW Burnside St
    Portland, OR 97209
    (503) 227-1825

Awesome men's store based in Seattle. This is a satellite location but they carry a relatively sizable collection of fragrances. Current lines include:

Blood Concept
    C.B. I Hate Perfume
    Diptyque
    Histoires de Parfums
    L'Artisan Parfumeur
    Montale
    Ulrich Lang

A word of caution: Don't let the tragically-hip employees and inventive, minimalist decor intimidate you. The people who work here are some of the nicest, most down-to-earth people you could imagine. Too often, a pervasive element of snobbery and elitism takes all the fun out of visiting small boutiques--that is not the case here. I can personally attest to the fact that if you are genuinely passionate about fragrance, you'll receive a warm welcome. They can also special order fragrances from their Seattle location and have them shipped down to Portland. You can check out their site for more information about their selection.

Update
    11/24/12
    I just popped in yesterday to see if any new fragrances had appeared. Unfortunately, the selection has dwindled quite a bit. I know you can order from their website or have products shipped to the Portland location, but as far as grab-and-go shopping is concerned, you'll really only have luck with the Histoires de Parfums line (which is great, by the way; they are, after all, the only retailer in the city that carries this fantastic range of fragrances AND they have about 85% of the line). There are a few random fragrances from the other lines. Still, head over if you can; their inventory is still miles ahead of most everywhere else in town and I would love to see this spot stay open.

BLUSH BEAUTY BAR
    513 Northwest 23rd Avenue
    Portland, OR 97210
    (503) 227-3390

Seems like a local beauty supply place. They have a collection of several lines but they have mostly cherry-picked their favorite fragrances from each. The lines include:

Etat Libre d'Orange
    I Profumi di Firenze
    Juliette Has A Gun
    Kai
    Pacifica
    Susanne Lang
    Tokyo Milk

Sales associates are more annoying than helpful They have samples for sale. Pacifica is a local line, I believe. The ELDO fragrances I have seen include Charogne, Tilda Swinton...Like This, Rien, Divin'Enfant, Tom of Finland, and Fat Elictrician. I know they have Calamity Jane by Juliette Has A Gun Too. If you're in the area, swing by. It was nice to find some ELDO in town.

EDEN
    221 NW Eleventh Avenue
    Portland, OR 97209
    (503) 222-2285

Self-proclaimed "garden of opulent curiosities." Their small fragrance collection includes:

Annick Goutal
    Serge Lutens

This place was a big disappointment for me. They had about 4 Lutens fragrances, including Tubereuse Criminelle and Serge Noir. Nothing of particular interest for me. I'm not much of a Goutal fan, either, but their selection looked fairly extensive...

Update
    11/24/12
    I failed to mention that Eden also carries an assortment of "super niche" possibly local (I didn't check at the time and I can't remember any names) fragrances in the vein of Tokyo Milk (if you are into that sort of thing).

LUSH
    708 NW 23rd Avenue
    Portland, OR 97210
    (503)228-5874

Used to have their own line of fragrances and a spin-off line called Be Never Too Busy To Be Beautiful, which is a mouthful, but which also produced Breath of God, which is a masterpiece. The lines have since been combined and are sold under the name Gorilla Perfumes. The packaging is terrible. The sales associates are maddening. Is it worth stopping by? Yes, buy Breath of God. It is one of the most beautiful things I have ever had the pleasure of experiencing. I am also fond of Lust, which is an intense, dirty jasmine in the vein of Lutens' A La Nuit, but with a drydown that I find too sweet. If you buy any of these, always go for the $36.00 bottle. The solid perfume is terrible and smells of whatever that wax is and it's only EdT strength. The tube is EdP strength but unwieldy. The bottle is supposedly the equivalent of an extrait. I can personally attest to the fact that Breath of God in this form lasts forever (2 days).

MACY'S
    621 SW Fifth Avenue
    Portland, OR 97204
    (503) 223-0512

Need I say more? The lines include:

Armani
    Azzaro
    Bare Escentuals
    BCBGMAXAZRIA
    Beyonce
    Bliss
    Bobbi Brown
    Boucheron
    Britney Spears
    Burberry
    BVLGARI
    Calvin Klein
    Carolina Herrera
    Chloe
    Clinique
    COACH
    Davidoff
    Dior
    DKNY
    Dolce & Gabbana
    Donna Karan
    Ed Hardy
    Elizabeth Arden
    Elizabeth Taylor
    Ellen Tracy
    Escada
    Estée Lauder
    Fendi
    Giorgio Armani
    Giorgio of Beverly Hills
    Givenchy
    Gucci
    Guerlain
    Hanae Mori
    Issey Miyake
    Jean-Paul Gaultier
    Jennifer Aniston
    Jessica McClintock
    Jessica Simpson
    Jimmy Choo
    Juicy Couture
    Justin Bieber
    Kenzo
    Kim Kardashian
    Lacoste
    Lady Gaga
    Lancôme
    Lea Journo
    Marc Jacobs
    Michael Kors
    Michel Germain
    Narciso Rodriguez
    Nicki Minaj
    Nicole Richie
    Nina Ricci
    Oscar de la Renta
    Paco Rabanne
    Paloma Picasso
    Paris Hilton
    Perry Ellis
    philosophy
    Prada
    Prescriptives
    Ralph Lauren
    Rihanna
    Roberto Cavalli
    Salvatore Ferragamo
    Sarah Jessica Parker
    Selena Gomez
    Stella McCartney
    Taylor Swift
    Thierry Mugler
    Tommy Hilfiger
    True Religion
    Truth or Dare by Madonna
    Tweezerman
    Urban Decay
    Vera Wang
    Versace

No samples. Bad lighting. Unhelpful staff. Terrible selection. See that list up there? You're lucky to find one or two fragrances from each house. But of course, this isn'

NORDSTROM
    701 SW Broadway
    Portland, OR 97205
    (503) 224-6666

One of the best places in town, as department stores go. This location seems to have a vague undertsanding of fragrance enthusiasts. I certainly get less grief from these folks than I do from Macy's and Sephora employees. Mostly-friendly and mostly-helpful staff, generous samples, and a decent selection including:

Annick Goutal
    Aquolina
    Balenciaga Paris
    Bond No. 9
    Bottega Veneta
    Boucheron
    Burberry
    BVLGARI
    Calvin Klein
    Calyx
    Carolina Herrera
    Caron (not in store, can be ordered)
    Cartier
    CHANEL
    Chloé
    Clinique
    Clive Christian (not in store, can be ordered)
    COACH Fragrances
    David Yurman
    Dior
    diptyque
    DKNY
    Dolce&Gabbana
    Donna Karan
    Elie Saab
    Elizabeth Arden
    Estée Lauder
    Fendi
    Giorgio Armani
    Givenchy
    Gucci
    Guerlain
    Hanae Mori
    Hermès
    Issey Miyake
    Jean-Paul Gaultier
    Jennifer Aniston
    Jimmy Choo
    Jivago
    Jo Malone
    Juicy Couture
    JUSTIN BIEBER
    kate spade new york
    Katy Perry
    KENZO
    Kiehl’s
    Lady Gaga
    Lancôme
    Lanvin
    Lolita Lempicka
    M·A·C
    MARC JACOBS
    Michael Kors
    Narciso Rodriguez
    Nicki Minaj
    Nicole Richie
    Nina Ricci
    Oscar de la Renta
    philosophy
    Prada
    pureDKNY
    Ralph Lauren
    Robert Piguet
    Roberto Cavalli
    Salvatore Ferragamo
    Shiseido
    Stella McCartney
    Taylor Swift
    Thierry Mugler
    Tom Ford
    Trish McEvoy
    Valentino
    Vera Wang
    Versace
    Viktor & Rolf
    Vince Camuto
    Yves Saint Laurent

It's Nordstrom! The downtown location has the entire Bond No. 9 line, which is cool if you like that sort of thing.

THE PERFUME HOUSE
    3328 Southeast Hawthorne Boulevard
    Portland, OR 97214
    (503) 234-5375

Hands-down the best place to shop for fragrance in the city and a godsend for any fragrance lover. The staff are knowledgeable and just fantastic human beings. What's more, their selection is unparalleled. One of the best kept secrets in Portland. They carry, along with many others:

Alfred Sung
    Amouage
    Annick Goutal
    Aqaba
    Aqua di Parma
    Azzaro
    Balenciaga
    Balmain
    Bois 1920
    Boucheron
    Bourjois
    Bulgari
    Burberry
    Cacharel
    Carolina Herrera
    Caron
    Carthusia
    Cartier
    Carven
    Clive Christian
    Comme des Garcons
    Comptoir Sud Pacifique
    Creed
    Demeter
    D'Orsay
    Etro
    Floris
    Frapin
    Geoffrey Beene
    Givenchy
    Gres
    Gucci
    Guepard
    Guerlain
    Halston
    Hanae Mori
    Hermes
    Hugo Boss
    Issey Miyake
    Jean Desprez
    Jean Patou
    Jil Sander
    Kenzo
    Lalique
    Lanvin
    L'Artisan Parfumeur
    Lolita Lempicka
    Maitre Parfumeur et Gantier
    Miller Harris
    Molinard
    Montale
    Montana
    Narcisso Rodrigues
    Nina Ricci
    Parfums de Nicolai
    Puig
    Rance
    Robert Piguet
    Rochas
    Salvador Dali
    Serge Lutens
    Tauer Perfumes
    Ungaro
    Van Cleef & Arpels
    Versace
    Yves Saint Laurent

The mere experience of being in a place with so many fragrances is just mind-blowing. Pay it a visit. It's well worth it!

SEPHORA
    413 Southwest Morrison Street
    Portland, OR 97204
    (503) 224-7300

Downtown Sephora. Terrible selection. Rude employees. They do make samples on request. The lines include:

Armani
    Bulgari
    Burberry
    Calvin Klein
    Chanel
    Clinique
    D&G
    Diesel
    Dior
    Dolce & Gabanna
    Fendi
    Givenchy
    Gucci
    Guerlain
    Harajuku Lovers
    Hugo Boss
    Issey Miyake
    Jean-Paul Gaultier
    John Varvatos
    Juicy Couture
    Kenzo
    Marc Jacobs
    Narcisso Rodriguez
    Paco Rabanne
    Philosophy
    Ralph Lauren
    Stella McCartney
    Yves Saint Lauren

You can pretty much assume that if it wasn't released within the last few years, it won't be here. Exceptions include established classics from the likes of Chanel and Dior. Also, they have Shalimar for some reason. I can't imagine it sells here. Worse selection that Macy's and Nordstrom.
    Last edited by andregooren; 24th November 2012 at 10:31 PM. Reason: Updated information.

Yep, The Perfume House now carries Andy Tauer's things.

One of only four locations in the US as I understand, the other three being in either NYC or Beverly Hills.

Blackbird is now closed. Too bad because I bought two bottles from them and went back to get a third only to find their store empty. In a terrible location in a great area so they failed.
    My Favorites
    1a. Slumberhouse Zahd
    1. Amouage Epic man
    2. Dior Leather Oud
    3. Amouage Tribute Attar
    4. Le Labo Patchouli 24
    5. Amouage Opus VII
    6. Bond No.9 New York Oud
    7. Norma Kamali Incense

Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

The IFRA can bite me!

Live near the Perfume House, currently. That's obviously the best place, with an in house "nose" who can tell stories for months.

If you like natural and occult scents, I recommend Moodshadows on Belmont, about a ten block walk from the Perfume House on Belmont and 38th. Nice people. Classic Portland shop.

Someone mentioned Escentials, which is always great. That's where I got my start in perfumery and interest in it.

The new age bookstore New Renaissance is pretty good for essential oils, just to know it's there. I would add to that several of the natural food markets, such as whole foods or New Seasons, just to keep them in mind.

Last but not least Liberty Natural products is in Portland, and one of the best essential oils suppliers in the world (they supply the aforementioned Escentials shops, for example). You must purchase at least $50.00 at a time, and be willing to pick up at a warehouse, as it's a wholesale distrubutor. But who cares?