Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Portland, OR

Default Portland, OR

There is an amazing shop in Portland, Oregon. Lucky (and dangerous) for me, I live within walking distance of it!

The Perfume House sells online as well, but walking in is a stunning experience. I went in looking for the ever-vague 'something new', and after listening to what I had been wearing, letting me sniff some things I had read about, and making some recommendations, I walked out with a bottle of magic.

The Perfume House is at 3328 SE Hawthorne Blvd.

Just a few blocks away is Escential. They carry a custom line of bath and body products that you can have custom scented, as well as carrying a smattering of other lines.

Escential is at 3638 SE Hawthorne Blvd.

Talking Re: Portland, OR

I was in Portland visiting family for the holiday weekend, and paid my first visit to The Perfume House. It is very special, indeed. I was there for almost two hours, but could have stayed for four. The selection is fantastic and the people who helped me are delightful and welcoming. If I lived in this city, I don't think I'd ever go back to a department store perfume counter.

Talking Re: Portland, OR

The Perfume House really is amazing. The selection is fantastic, and the people who work there are wonderful. The woman who helped me last week spent nearly an hour dashing between the counter and the storage room, fetching two or three testers whenever I mentioned a new scent. Not once was she the least bit pushy or impatient. Once I find my holy grail, this is definitely the place where I'll buy it!

Blog Entries

Default Re: Portland, OR

Best place ever!

I haven't been to the Perfume house yet (though I used to live right next to it!). I'm a perfume newbie so I'm still a little intimidated.

Today I had a fantastic experience at the JC Penny Sephora at Washington Square! I've been there a couple times before and was helped by the same lady who was nice but sort of had that typical department store vibe, which makes me a bit nervous. This time there were two incredibly nice people and it was the best experience I've had in a perfume store yet! They were really helpful and made me feel very comfortable. They offered me a ton of samples and taught me a lot about the different perfumes. It's too bad I don't think they work on commission because if ever anyone deserved it I think it's them. I'll probably ask if they have comment cards or something next time.

Blog Entries

When I go to Portland sniffing I cannot always go to the wonderful Perfume House since it's out of the way. But I make it my birthday destination and it was wonderful! Selection and people, both absolutely fabulous, not to be missed!

But when there's no time for that, a Pioneer street mall is a nice place too. I had great fun and luck trying things out in the L'Occitane boutique located there and the Saks 5th Avenue there is also very nice.

Friday's schedule has a rather large hole in it and it is very likely a trip to the Perfume House is going to be what fills that hole. After living in PDX for 22 years, I just discovered the store even existed only a couple weeks ago. That and Fred's Sound of Music need a visit.

The Perfume House is just that : a house in the Hawthorne district which has been converted into a store that sells nothing but perfume.

I'm a bit of a newbie, but know enough to tell that they carry just about anything you might hope to see: they are basically floor to ceiling with juice in 4-5 rooms. The full line of Amouage ( the president of the company was due to stop by the day we were there ! ) and the complete lines of many other high-end brands. They've been at this location for over 30 years, and it's hard to imagine another shop with as many things as they carry.

And... the folks there are as nice as they can be. Plus they were kind enough ( after my sister asked if they had a sample we might take home ) to send each of us out with a big Amouage spray sample.

( I must admit that I did mentioned the magic word "Basenotes" and that may have gained us some extra traction. )

Folks come from far and wide to visit, so a place not to be missed in while in Portland. If you find yourself in downtown, simply head east over the river on the Hawthorne Bridge and you'll find it at 33rd and Hawthorne, right in the heart of the very coolest section of the east side of town.
    Last edited by Birdboy48; 2nd August 2011 at 03:54 AM.

Nordstrom's downtown carries Bond and a decent selection. Very helpful too.

Perfume House has an amazing selection and is very helpful on the first visit but be warned, if you don't buy anything (they were out of the two scents I wanted) they become very surly future visits. A great place to go once but bring your wallet and make sure to buy something.

The first time I went in I smelled about 6 different fragrances and they were very helpful and gave me a tiny sample of Black Oud. The second time I went in and asked if they could educate me on oud, something I was completely unfamiliar with and they were not nearly as helpful simply telling me if I smelled a couple of fragrances with oud I would know what it was. The third time I went in and asked how much the Montale perfumes cost (I was ready to buy) and just getting a price was like pulling teeth. After the third question I was finally told that Black Aoud was $200 but they were out. I asked about Ambre Sultan and they were out of that too. Then I asked about Yatagan and guess what, they were out of that too. So, the three fragrances I wanted were out of stock and instead of offering when they might be back in stock they simply asked me "what are you going to buy?" I walked out and may never go back regardless of their amazing selection of hard to find fragrances.

I immediately went home and ordered Black Aoud from Montale in Paris with extra concentration for about $130 and Ambre Sultan from an on-line retailer that had a lower regular price and a 15% off coupon, total cost of about $85. So they lost my sale that would have been $320 and may have lost a customer forever, and I got the same fragrances for $215. I am glad to have the same items and very happy to have an extra $105 in my pocket.

Update:
    I have not been in this store since August last year. I decided to go in again last week because I was looking to buy Knize Ten which I remember they had on my last visit. I walked in and asked specifically for this and here is how the conversation went...

"I'm looking for Knize Ten."
    "We don't have it."
    "You used to carry this."
    "We still do but we are out of stock right now."
    "When do you expect to get it in again?"
    "I don't know..."
    "Can you check?"
    "No. It comes from Canada or Mexico or someplace, I'm not sure. It's on order."
    "Can you put me on the list and give me a call when it comes in?"
    "No. You won't get it...there are too many people on the waiting list already."
    Last edited by Akahina; 23rd July 2012 at 09:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Daryl J. View Post
    Friday's schedule has a rather large hole in it and it is very likely a trip to the Perfume House is going to be what fills that hole. After living in PDX for 22 years, I just discovered the store even existed only a couple weeks ago. That and Fred's Sound of Music need a visit.
    Okay, I'm impressed! Somebody else knows about Fred's Sound of Music!!! <hehehehehehe>
    The anti-niche biche. I do not believe that excessive cost comes with a guarantee of quality. Perfume snobs beware - when you flare your nostrils like that, I can see the boogers.

Had a very interesting experience at The Perfume House today.

I stopped in to show one of the SA's who's a friend of mine some of the peonies which I hybridize, and afterwards I stayed to do some sniffing around. It was quiet : just myself and a couple of scruffy and somewhat unlikely looking fellows, both of whom looked like they could use a shave, and who were just basically sniffing around like I was.

I looked at the one fellow once....then I looked at him again, and damned if it was not Andy Taure, along with Brian Pera, the fellow he's been collaborating on those movies with. They were not there to promote their line (the PH does not sell Andy's stuff..yet) but appeared to basically be tourists in town who had stopped by to chat with the SA's and check the place out.

We talked about my peonies, and movies, and a bunch of other stuff, and basically I got to hang out with the two of them and sniff perfume for an hour or so.

It made my day, if not my month, I must admit.

I had no idea this place existed, and I live right next to downtown Portland! I'll definitely have to go, but Akahina's post has concerned me a tad. I always order online, as I am a student and don't have much money, so I always try to stretch my dollar as much as possible. I would love to go in to the Perfume House to sniff often, but I don't think I'll ever buy from a perfumery in person... I suppose the Perfume House might only be worth a few visits before they tire of me.

BLUSH BEAUTY BAR
    513 NW 23RD AVE
    PORTLAND OR 97210
    503-227-3390

Seems like a local beauty supply place. They have a collection of several lines but they have mostly cherry-picked their favorite fragrances from each. The lines include:

Agatha Blois
    Byway Capsule Perfumes
    Comptoir Sud Pacifique
    Corania
    Costume National
    Danya Decker
    Demeter
    Etat Libre d'Orange
    Field of Flowers
    FRANK los angeles
    I Am
    I Profumi di Firenze
    Juliette Has A Gun
    KAI
    Olivine
    Pilar & Lucy
    Susanne Lang
    Tokyo Milk
    Voluspa

Sales associates are more annoying than helpful They have samples for sale. The ELDO and I Profumo fragrances seem to be on the way out.

FUMERIE PARFUMERIE
    3584 SE DIVISION ST
    PORTLAND OR 97202
    234-386-3743 (234-FUMERIE)

Tracy Tsefalas' brand new independent fragrance boutique that just opened in late February 2016.

Agonist
    Berdoues: Collection Grands Cru
    Boadicea the Victorious
    Bruno Fazzolari
    Escentric Molecules
    Imaginary Authors
    Jeroboam
    Jovoy
    Knize
    Les Liquides Imaginaires
    Lubin
    MDCI
    Naomi Goodsir
    Nasomatto
    Neela Vermeire
    Ortigia Sicilia
    Orto Parisi
    Papillon
    Parfum d'Empire
    Profumum Roma
    Serge Lutens
    Slumberhouse
    Tauer

Beautifully decorated. Knowledgable staff.

LUSH
    708 NW 23rd Avenue
    Portland, OR 97210
    (503)228-5874

Used to have their own line of fragrances and a spin-off line called Be Never Too Busy To Be Beautiful, which is a mouthful, but which also produced Breath of God, which is a masterpiece. The lines have since been combined and are sold under the name Gorilla Perfumes. The packaging is terrible. The sales associates are maddening. Is it worth stopping by? Yes, buy Breath of God. It is one of the most beautiful things I have ever had the pleasure of experiencing. I am also fond of Lust, which is an intense, dirty jasmine in the vein of Lutens' A La Nuit, but with a drydown that I find too sweet. If you buy any of these, always go for the $36.00 bottle. The solid perfume is terrible and smells of whatever that wax is and it's only EdT strength. The tube is EdP strength but unwieldy. The bottle is supposedly the equivalent of an extrait. I can personally attest to the fact that Breath of God in this form lasts forever (2 days).

MACY'S
    621 SW Fifth Avenue
    Portland, OR 97204
    (503) 223-0512

Need I say more? The lines include:

Will update with current selection at some point

No samples. Bad lighting. Unhelpful staff. Terrible selection. See that list up there? You're lucky to find one or two fragrances from each house. But of course, this isn'

MANOR FINE WARES, CURIOUS GOODS
    907 NE 23RD AVE
    PORTLAND OR 97210
    503-954-2900

Hard to pin down what this store is. They sell paint and furniture and candles and maybe rugs? The perfume is the important part though. See below:

LAFCO
    Malin+Goetz
    Santa Maria Novella

Staff are nice if somewhat standoffish.

NORDSTROM
    701 SW Broadway
    Portland, OR 97205
    (503) 224-6666

One of the best places in town, as department stores go. This location seems to have a vague undertsanding of fragrance enthusiasts. I certainly get less grief from these folks than I do from Macy's and Sephora employees. Mostly-friendly and mostly-helpful staff, generous samples, and a decent selection including:

Will update current selection at some point

It's Nordstrom! The downtown location has the entire Bond No. 9 line, which is cool if you like that sort of thing.

THE PERFUME HOUSE
    3328 SE HAWTHORNE BLVD
    PORTLAND OR 97214
    503-234-5375

Not a lot of new stuff but great for classics like Guerlain. The staff are knowledgeable and just fantastic human beings. What's more, their selection is unparalleled. One of the best kept secrets in Portland. Current lines include:

Aqua di Parma
    Acqua di Parma: Blu Mediterraneo
    Amouage
    Annick Goutal
    Antonia's Flowers
    Aqaba
    BOIS 1920: Bottega Italiana Spigo
    Caron
    Carthusia
    Cartier
    Clive Christian
    Comme des Garcons
    Comptoir Sud Pacifique
    Costume National
    Creed
    Etat Libre d'Orange
    Geo. F. Trumper
    Givenchy
    Givenchy: Les Parfums Mythiques
    Guerlain
    Hanae Mori
    Histoires de Parfums
    Issey Miyake
    Jean Patou
    Kenzo
    L'Artisan Parfumeur
    Lucien Lelong
    Maître Parfumeur et Gantier
    Monotheme
    Montale
    Rancé
    Robert Piguet
    Roger & Gallet
    Royall Lyme
    Serge Lutens
    St. John's
    Tauer
    Tauerville
    Van Cleef & Arpels
    Van Cleef & Arpels: Collection Extraordinaire

The mere experience of being in a place with so many fragrances is just mind-blowing. Pay it a visit. It's well worth it!

SEPHORA
    413 Southwest Morrison Street
    Portland, OR 97204
    (503) 224-7300

Downtown Sephora. Terrible selection. Rude employees. They do make samples on request. The lines include:

[BWill update with current selection at some point[/B]

You can pretty much assume that if it wasn't released within the last few years, it won't be here. Exceptions include established classics from the likes of Chanel and Dior. Also, they have Shalimar for some reason. I can't imagine it sells here. Worse selection that Macy's and Nordstrom.

SPRUCE APOTHECARY
    1022 W BURNSIDE ST
    PORTLAND OR 97209
    503-206-4022

Small boutique with awesome body care selection, which I won't really get into here. It isn't my thing but check it out if you are looking for lotions and whatnot

Escentric Molecules
    ODIN
    Santa Maria
    YOSH

Staff are nice if somewhat standoffish.
    Last edited by andregooren; 5th March 2016 at 12:24 AM. Reason: Updated information.

Yep, The Perfume House now carries Andy Tauer's things.

One of only four locations in the US as I understand, the other three being in either NYC or Beverly Hills.

Blackbird is now closed. Too bad because I bought two bottles from them and went back to get a third only to find their store empty. In a terrible location in a great area so they failed.
    Most worn scents according to my haphazard use of the SOTD...so perhaps my favorites...
    1. Epic Man by Amouage (21 wears)
    2. M7 by Eves Saint Laurent (18 wears)
    3. Leather Oud by Christian Dior (18 wears)
    4. Oud Imperial (black) by Perris Monte Carlo (14 wears)
    5. Russian Tea Ritual by Masque (12 wears)
    6. Fate Man by Amouage (11 wears)
    7. Terre d'Hermes by Hermes (11 wears plus - often not recorded go to scent)
    8. Interlude Man by Amouage (11 wears)
    9. Journey Man by Amouage (11 wears)
    10. Plum Japonais by Tom Ford, Bullion by Byredo, Piper Nigrum by a Lorenzo Villorosi, Pulp by Byredo, Santal Royal by Guerlain (9 wears)

Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

Live near the Perfume House, currently. That's obviously the best place, with an in house "nose" who can tell stories for months.

If you like natural and occult scents, I recommend Moodshadows on Belmont, about a ten block walk from the Perfume House on Belmont and 38th. Nice people. Classic Portland shop.

Someone mentioned Escentials, which is always great. That's where I got my start in perfumery and interest in it.

The new age bookstore New Renaissance is pretty good for essential oils, just to know it's there. I would add to that several of the natural food markets, such as whole foods or New Seasons, just to keep them in mind.

Last but not least Liberty Natural products is in Portland, and one of the best essential oils suppliers in the world (they supply the aforementioned Escentials shops, for example). You must purchase at least $50.00 at a time, and be willing to pick up at a warehouse, as it's a wholesale distrubutor. But who cares?

Here I am shamelessly pimping The Perfume House again. It had been a while since I dropped in, but was there a couple of days ago, and things remain wonderful as usual. I was interested to see that apparently they now carry *every single* frag in the Etat Libre d'Orange line - Their display was impressive to say the least. They also seem to carry the full range of the Jean Patou "Heritage" collection, so a great place to check those out as well.

Our fellow member Andre has been working there for 3 years now, so he'll understand everything you have to say about fragrance, and more to boot.

In the hip Hawthorn area of Portland, and located there since long before the area became hip.

As mentioned by many before me, a "must see" for anyone passing through the Portland area.

Quote Originally Posted by andregooren View Post
    Tracy Tsefalas' brand new independent fragrance boutique that just opened in late February 2016.

Good luck to the two of you !

The peony guy from Bend.
    Last edited by Birdboy48; 9th March 2016 at 07:38 AM.

I will be in Portland in a couple of weeks and look forward to sniffing a lot of scents.
    Ointment and perfume rejoice the heart: so doth the sweetness of a man's friend by hearty counsel. Proverbs 27:9 KJV

Quote Originally Posted by Birdboy48 View Post
    Good luck to the two of you !

The peony guy from Bend.
    Thanks so much! I'm attempting to avoid shameless self-promotion but I don't own a stake in the company, I just work there, and I feel like the community will benefit from the information. The response has been great and we are both so grateful for the support of the fragrance community. Anyway, I'll be looking forward to your visit!

Basenotes Plus
    Blog Entries

I will be visiting Portland mid June. Are there any changes in the fragrance scene there?
    We cannot live only for ourselves. A thousand fibers connect us with our fellow men. ~Herman Melville
    Currently wearing: Les Indes Galantes by MDCI

Quote Originally Posted by RHM View Post
    I will be visiting Portland mid June. Are there any changes in the fragrance scene there?
    Supposedly Nordstroms is removing the Bond No 9 line from all their locations at the end of April.

Quote Originally Posted by RHM View Post
    New niche boutique on 36th and Division called Fumerie. Nasomatto, Agonist, Boadicea, MDCI, Parfum d'Empire, Papillon, etc.

New niche boutique on 36th and Division called Fumerie. Nasomatto, Agonist, Boadicea, MDCI, Parfum d'Empire, Papillon, etc.
    Is this the new place started by the former owners of the Perfume House?
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

Basenotes Junkie

The Perfume House is still open--this (Fumerie) is the store started by Tracy, the perfume house owner's daughter-in-law. Now Portland has two great perfume shops.
    It is the time you have wasted for your rose that makes your rose so important.--Antoine de Saint-Exupery.
    Currently wearing: Santal 33 by Le Labo

Quote Originally Posted by foxbins View Post
    The Perfume House is still open--this (Fumerie) is the store started by Tracy, the perfume house owner's daughter-in-law. Now Portland has two great perfume shops.
    Thanks for the clarification.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

I stopped by Fumerie Perfumery yesterday and left very happy. Of course, being a new store I was the only customer. I have been to the Perfume house many times and was always happy when Tracy was staffing the store. She is very personable and has a great understanding of perfumes and loves to make suggestions based on your likes.

The store is not huge but well layed out with a standing bar at the back of the store and a wall packed with perfumes behind. It is an older storefront with the front of the store being mostly windows (facing north so no sunlight on the perfume) in a rapidly growing and thriving neighborhood. Sampling the perfumes is very much like visiting a small pub with a bartender...I like the set up. Tracy will pull a bottle, scent a strip and place them in front of you. There is a coffee table with books and a couple of chairs and minimal nice art on the dark walls. Charming space.

So far their website lists 24 niche brands. I am not sure if Tracy has every perfume from each brand but I suspect not given that she may be selective, and as the store grows I expect additions. I tried a few things I have never sampled, such as Orto Parisi, Agonist, Bruno Fazzolari, MDCI, etc. I left with three samples (those tiny glass and stopper vials I hate) of Brutus, Arso and Invasion Barbare.

And I smelled Knize for the first time (not what I was expecting). Tracy has a source, she gets it directly from Austria.
    Last edited by Akahina; 19th April 2016 at 12:37 AM.
    Most worn scents according to my haphazard use of the SOTD...so perhaps my favorites...
    1. Epic Man by Amouage (21 wears)
    2. M7 by Eves Saint Laurent (18 wears)
    3. Leather Oud by Christian Dior (18 wears)
    4. Oud Imperial (black) by Perris Monte Carlo (14 wears)
    5. Russian Tea Ritual by Masque (12 wears)
    6. Fate Man by Amouage (11 wears)
    7. Terre d'Hermes by Hermes (11 wears plus - often not recorded go to scent)
    8. Interlude Man by Amouage (11 wears)
    9. Journey Man by Amouage (11 wears)
    10. Plum Japonais by Tom Ford, Bullion by Byredo, Piper Nigrum by a Lorenzo Villorosi, Pulp by Byredo, Santal Royal by Guerlain (9 wears)

Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

Awesome. Will have to check that out.

Oh whoa, Tracy owns it? I was wondering why I haven't seen her at the perfume house in a while. AND Andre! Good for them.
    Last edited by genvy5; 19th April 2016 at 07:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by dewey eyed View Post
    There is an amazing shop in Portland, Oregon. Lucky (and dangerous) for me, I live within walking distance of it!

The Perfume House sells online as well, but walking in is a stunning experience. I went in looking for the ever-vague 'something new', and after listening to what I had been wearing, letting me sniff some things I had read about, and making some recommendations, I walked out with a bottle of magic.

The Perfume House is at 3328 SE Hawthorne Blvd.

Just a few blocks away is Escential. They carry a custom line of bath and body products that you can have custom scented, as well as carrying a smattering of other lines.

Escential is at 3638 SE Hawthorne Blvd.
    I spent many hours at both, and miss them. Glad you got that experience.

Perfume House is a total mess now. There's some crazy, high-strung soccer mom lady who works there now who spouts very fake, salesperson lines and tells you whatever she thinks you want to hear. Even went as far as to say Amouage hasn't reformulated anything at all, without prompt, simply because I had mentioned the brand in passing. She doesn't have a clue what she's talking about with regard to fragrance in general. Very disappointing, made me want to leave and never return. There is another male who works there (slightly younger than her) who also doesn't seem to know much, but is at least not such a pain to deal with.

Very unfortunate change for Perfume House. However, Fumerie's awesome and wholly fulfilling in all the ways TPH never could be.