Code of Conduct
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Portland, OR

Default Re: Portland, OR

The unfortunate thing is that the Perfume House has so many more perfumes including Amouage, my favorite brand. But the customer service there is terrible now. I went in several years ago looking for Knize 10. I was abrubtly told they did not have it in stock and did not know when they would get it and then was asked (without taking a breath), "so what else are you going to buy?" I was taken aback by the borderline rudeness and did not go back for over a year. When I did Tracy was there and was very helpful. I will frequent Fumerie now and only go to the Perfume House for specific scents, or buy online. Sad really, but Fumerie is awesome. I hope their selection grows and I can now get Kneze from them any time I want.
    1. Epic Man by Amouage (33 wears)
    2. Leather Oud by Christian Dior (31 wears)
    3. M7 by Yves Saint Laurent (27 wears)
    4. Oud Imperial (black) by Perris Monte Carlo (22 wears)
    5. Russian Tea Ritual by Masque (20 wears)
    6. Fate Man by Amouage (19 wears)

Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.
    Currently wearing: H.M. by Hanae Mori

My issue with the Perfume House is that they're never open when I'm there. I've been to Portland twice and both times it was on a Sunday and thus closed. Yeah, I'm a spoiled, entitled shopper :P

I love Chris Tsefalis. Great guy. Great marketer. Brought a lot of joy into a lot of people's lives. Total gentleman. Gifted storyteller.

But this last thing does have another side. As a sometimes perfumer I found him to be willing to misrepresent the practice of perfumery to make a better story, which I understand is the case everywhere in the field. So no harsh judgement.

But he went so far as to swear to me that none of his perfumes use perfume chemicals. He actually had the nerve, knowing I make perfumes, to tell me perfumes "at this level" only use naturals and essential oils, except for no animal musks. When I suggested that might not be totally accurate I got shut down immediately. So just enjoy his stories and don't ever challenge any point of fact, is my advice. He's a lovely man and it's not worth it.

But as a point of fact, pretty much every commercial perfume uses some perfume chemicals except for some traditional attars, including the ones he sells. It's as if he wants me to believe Chanel 5 did not use aldehydes, which it was famous everywhere for.

And many or most of the perfumes he sells - that anyone sells -- have been reformulated at some point, with whatever perfume chemicals perfumers are using these days.

The stories he tells you about what is in a perfume are to be taken with a huge grain of salt. And his nose? I took in a perfume I made and he didn't name a single ingredient correctly after smelling it, natural or otherwise. Maybe that was age?

Don't get me wrong, I love him, and his shop. He has great stories. He will make it a point to hook you up with something you will love! Better man than me.

But one just can't take him too seriously as far as the actual methods and ingredients of perfumes. Maybe on some things... But the real ingredients of perfumes don't make for such exciting stories. I know what's in some of the perfumes he sells, and it's just the normal stuff, a mix of perfume chemicals and naturals. Good thing too, as perfumes smell much better using both.
    Last edited by DrSmellThis; 28th May 2016 at 01:12 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Akahina View Post
    The unfortunate thing is that the Perfume House has so many more perfumes including Amouage, my favorite brand. But the customer service there is terrible now. I went in several years ago looking for Knize 10. I was abrubtly told they did not have it in stock and did not know when they would get it and then was asked (without taking a breath), "so what else are you going to buy?" I was taken aback by the borderline rudeness and did not go back for over a year. When I did Tracy was there and was very helpful. I will frequent Fumerie now and only go to the Perfume House for specific scents, or buy online. Sad really, but Fumerie is awesome. I hope their selection grows and I can now get Kneze from them any time I want.
    Yeah, I had that experience when that older woman was working there. The taller one, not Chris's wife. Would not go just because she was so unpleasant. When she stopped working there and Tracy was the head, it was great. Not the case now, so head anywhere else for perfumes in Portland IMO.

Basenotes Plus
    Blog Entries

Thumbs up Re: Portland, OR

My husband & I are in Portland now.

We drove to Fumerie & I had a grand time with Tracy. I had a very nice chat with her, tried quite a few scents I hadn't tried before. She's definitely become my go-to shop here on the west coast.

In addition, Tracy was extremely helpful when I called her to change my order. The dry down of Lubin's Gin Fizz, which I had purchased, knocked it out of FBW contention. My skin just "ate" the whole scent. My now 18, almost 19 year old daughter, who is house sitting for us, does NOT want me picking out a perfume for her. Thank you very much.

So my order of MDCI's Chypre Palatin, Serge Luten Rahat Loukoum (which was for the girl) & Lubin's Gin Fizz was changed to just the Chypre Palatin & Les Indes Galantes. The Les Indes was Tracy's suggestion & my husband LOVED it on me.

Tracy will ship my order at no charge. I'm thrilled & will buy from her again.

I can recommend the Fumerie wholeheartedly.

Based on things I've heard & read about The Perfume House, I have no plans to visit.
    Last edited by RHM; 19th June 2016 at 02:01 AM.
    It's that time of year again where my daughter asks; "Mom, why does the cat smell like Chamade?"
    Currently wearing: Epic Woman by Amouage

Hello everyone!

I wanted to say thank you for all of the kind feedback and support for Fumerie. I am so thrilled to be able to bring these smaller perfume houses to Portland. To everyone who I have worked with over the years, I have taken all of your feedback and suggestions to heart and as we move forward I hope to expand Fumerie's selection. In the meantime I have been focusing on hosting events and bringing the fragrance community in Portland together (if you're interested in attending keep an eye on our website—we will be posting a few new events in the next few weeks). I haven't spent much time on the basenotes forums but we created this account for Fumerie and we will be checking back regularly. If anyone has any questions, suggestions or if you just want to reach out please feel free to send me a message. Again, thank you so much for the warm welcome. I am so grateful for everyone's support. I look forward to many more fragrant years in Portland!

- Tracy Tsefalas

Welcome Tracy! There are many brands simply not available in Portland, so I really look forward to see what is to come.

Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

Welcome Tracy! There are many brands simply not available in Portland, so I really look forward to see what is to come.
    Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by fumerie View Post
    Hello everyone!

I wanted to say thank you for all of the kind feedback and support for Fumerie. I am so thrilled to be able to bring these smaller perfume houses to Portland. To everyone who I have worked with over the years, I have taken all of your feedback and suggestions to heart and as we move forward I hope to expand Fumerie's selection. In the meantime I have been focusing on hosting events and bringing the fragrance community in Portland together (if you're interested in attending keep an eye on our website—we will be posting a few new events in the next few weeks). I haven't spent much time on the basenotes forums but we created this account for Fumerie and we will be checking back regularly. If anyone has any questions, suggestions or if you just want to reach out please feel free to send me a message. Again, thank you so much for the warm welcome. I am so grateful for everyone's support. I look forward to many more fragrant years in Portland!

- Tracy Tsefalas
    Hey, really enjoyed my visit yesterday!

For those that haven't been, this place (Fumerie) is absolutely dynamite. Tracy was a wonderful host--very much enjoying my sample of Boccanera today.
    Last edited by jtothek; 4th July 2016 at 12:42 AM.
    Currently wearing: Copper Skies by Kerosene

As luck would have it, Fumerie Parfumerie opened up around the corner from me (and I discovered The Perfume House) just about the time I was becoming completely obsessed with fragrances. I have been to The Perfume House several times and have had a variety of experiences; some very good and informative and others where I felt like I was pestering them with my questions and my desire to smell a number of different scents. They have a lot of scents, I have a lot of curiosity ... what can I say. Having said that, they have a great selection and should be a destination for anyone interested in perfume. Tracy and Andre have done a fantastic job with Fumerie Parfumerie. Everything from the décor to the selection of houses represented, their warm and inviting approach to both newbies and connoisseurs alike and their wealth of knowledge, makes it a pleasure to have them in the neighborhood and just a great place to check out. They also have been kind enough to put on a number of informative and fun functions/seminars for those of us lucky enough to live in the area. Grateful to have them around and wish them continued success.

I have visited the place. It's amazing. Unique collection.

I just visited the Le Labo website and they now list a shop at 1308 W. Burnside. I had no idea this was there and looks like it may be in the same small storefront as the shortlived Blackbird store. I will have to check it out.

I just visited the Le Labo website and they now list a shop at 1308 W. Burnside. I had no idea this was there and looks like it may be in the same small storefront as the shortlived Blackbird store. I will have to check it out.
    Thanks for the heads up. I just pulled over to check it out and there is indeed a new Le Labo store at 1308 W. Burnside. There is also a (new?) Aesop store two doors down at 1300. Didnt have time to go in but glad to know they are there.

A quick note to let Slumberhouse fans know that Josh Lobb has returned and we now have Sadänne, Grev and Kiste back in stock!
    Happy smelling to all