Code of Conduct

Default From The Perfume Shoppe (Vancouver): Parfumerie Generale, Creed, and other stuff

Well, about an hour ago, I visited The Perfume Shoppe in beautiful downtown Vancouver BC. (I'm typing this from a computer at a nearby Future Shop, which is a high-end gadget retailer.)

The owner there was very nice, and she revealed some interesting facts about the fragrance industry in general. She noted that Chanel spends 95% of their profits on advertising, so when I told her that it costs Clarins 3 euros to make a bottle of Azzaro Pour Homme, she was not surprised in the least. When I told her that Acqua di Gio is the #1-seller men's scent in the USA, selling more than $100 million a year, she was flabbergasted... she said that it is "the absolute worst men's fragrance on the market", adding that "it only sells because of the Armani name".

I asked why she stopped carrying Creed... she said that "they just aren't want they used to be". According to her, about four or so years ago, they started cutting corners by using more and more synthetics, cutting their costs. In her opinion, this meant a radically inferior product.

During all this, I started sniffing. The search, which started with several fragrances, was quickly narrowed down to two: Montale's Greyland and Parfumerie Generale's Cuir Venenum... I chose the latter, as it's the absolute best leather scent I've smelled so far. She piled me up with a lot of Serge Lutens samples, too... can't wait to smell those!

All in all, I highly recommend this hidden gem of a shop... you can't beat the experience or expertise.
    Top 5 for Fall:
    1) Straight to Heaven - By Kilian
    2) New York - Nicolai
    3) Terre d'Hermes
    4) Aventus - Creed
    5)
    Flower of Immortality - By Kilian
    My mission statement: "I am not afraid to keep on living - I am not afraid to walk this world alone."

Basenotes Institution

Default Re: From The Perfume Shoppe (Vancouver): Parfumerie Generale, Creed, and other stuff

I'm jealous - good for you. I'm kind of glad you didn't get the Montale Greyland...I found the top notes very inviting and the mid and drydown extremely uninviting. Cuir Venenum, I haven't sniffed, but I've always heard good things about it.

Default Re: From The Perfume Shoppe (Vancouver): Parfumerie Generale, Creed, and other stuff

Quote Originally Posted by MFfan310 View Post
    When I told her that Acqua di Gio is the #1-seller men's scent in the USA, selling more than $100 million a year, she was flabbergasted... she said that it is "the absolute worst men's fragrance on the market", adding that "it only sells because of the Armani name".
    Did you tell her about Basenotes ? Looks like she needs to join our virtual community !
    -

Quote Originally Posted by MFfan310 View Post
    Well, about an hour ago, I visited The Perfume Shoppe in beautiful downtown Vancouver BC. (I'm typing this from a computer at a nearby Future Shop, which is a high-end gadget retailer.)

The owner there was very nice, and she revealed some interesting facts about the fragrance industry in general. She noted that Chanel spends 95% of their profits on advertising, so when I told her that it costs Clarins 3 euros to make a bottle of Azzaro Pour Homme, she was not surprised in the least. When I told her that Acqua di Gio is the #1-seller men's scent in the USA, selling more than $100 million a year, she was flabbergasted... she said that it is "the absolute worst men's fragrance on the market", adding that "it only sells because of the Armani name".

I asked why she stopped carrying Creed... she said that "they just aren't want they used to be". According to her, about four or so years ago, they started cutting corners by using more and more synthetics, cutting their costs. In her opinion, this meant a radically inferior product.

During all this, I started sniffing. The search, which started with several fragrances, was quickly narrowed down to two: Montale's Greyland and Parfumerie Generale's Cuir Venenum... I chose the latter, as it's the absolute best leather scent I've smelled so far. She piled me up with a lot of Serge Lutens samples, too... can't wait to smell those!

All in all, I highly recommend this hidden gem of a shop... you can't beat the experience or expertise.
    I was there the Saturday before last (she gave me a sample of the Cuir too). It is a fine store and the owner was generous to me with time and samples. She criticised Creed to me too saying they are watered down these days and weak (I lost a little respect for her at that point, as to my mind they make some very fine fragrances but she dismissed all from the house at a stroke. I return to my theory that Creed is a great house for men but not so good for women).
    "Donít try to be original. Be simple. Be good technically, and if there is something in you, it will come out. Ē - Henri Matisse.

"Wear R de Capucci" - Hirch Duckfinder

reviews

Quote Originally Posted by zztopp View Post
    Did you tell her about Basenotes ? Looks like she needs to join our virtual community !
    Of course I did! I mentioned Basenotes to her, and she said that she sometimes goes on here occasionally.

And I'm still sniffing the Cuir Venenum on my hand... it's that good.
    Last edited by MFfan310; 12th August 2007 at 01:12 AM.
    Top 5 for Fall:
    1) Straight to Heaven - By Kilian
    2) New York - Nicolai
    3) Terre d'Hermes
    4) Aventus - Creed
    5)
    Flower of Immortality - By Kilian
    My mission statement: "I am not afraid to keep on living - I am not afraid to walk this world alone."

I love this store and visit it often.

The lady who runs it is a gem and she's very generous with samples. She waives the taxes for my purchases.

She is well aware of Basenotes! On my first visit there I hyped it up and told her I would recommend that everyone traveling in that beautiful city visit her!

The website is well done and a good place to order from, even though the currency rates are not nearly as favorable for Americans as it used to be.

My last visit there I bought a bottle of Parfumerie Generale's new fragrance, "L'ombre Fauve." It's as beautiful a fragrance as I've ever worn. The bottle is small, simple and very elegant.

Congrats on your purchase of CV. It's an unusual leather in that it's soft and somewhat sweet and I like it a lot. It's SOMEWHAT like Daim Blonde in that there's "suede" there as opposed to a pure leather like "In Leather" by Aigner which I find kinda harsh.

Coze remains my favorite from this line.
    Last edited by HoldenCaufield; 12th August 2007 at 01:56 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Quote Originally Posted by hirch_duckfinder View Post
    I was there the Saturday before last (she gave me a sample of the Cuir too). It is a fine store and the owner was generous to me with time and samples. She criticised Creed to me too saying they are watered down these days and weak (I lost a little respect for her at that point, as to my mind they make some very fine fragrances but she dismissed all from the house at a stroke. I return to my theory that Creed is a great house for men but not so good for women).
    Yeps its definitely the watered down and weak juice that did it.

In the meanwhile, I would like to have some of that uber potent Mark Birley and the super viscous L'Artisans that the shop still carries please
    -

I will definitely have to stop by there next time I'm in the neighborhood.

I'm sure she's a fine seller, but I'm not sure I can take her so called "facts"serious.
    I mean,. Aqua di Gio, ok, it's an over marketed product, but it's absolutely not the "worst mens fragrance on the market" to me. And she knows about Creeds use of synthetics also , hmm?
    Sorry, but MI and Original Vetiver don't smell synthetic at all to me, and I think VIW smells great also.
    Sounds like a great shop though. Looks like you had a good time.
    Last edited by eric; 12th August 2007 at 09:27 AM.