Code of Conduct
    Basenotes Institution

Default MPG - Jardin du Nil...dirt and floral done right

You all are aware how I had a meltdown when I first tried MPG's Route du Vetiver - it was love at first sniff. I thought I'd smelled all vetivers up to that point, and the MPG line with its heavy glass bottles (almost regal looking) and the whole sweeping font in their ads gave me the belief that RdV was going to be a nice, proper vetiver - only to find out that it features a prominent dank, petrified wood note, dirt and vetiver stalks, etc. Akin to water that has had vetiver stalks sitting in it for too long and gone green...or the sensation of picking up a large, wet piece of wood lying on the floor of a forest and inhaling.

So, I finally got to test Jardin du Nil by MPG. The name threw me a little, it sounds so much like Hermes Un Jardin su le Nil. I've skipped over this sample for atleast a couple months (I'm a little sample overloaded) - and finally tried it today while I had to do some work at my office Sunday afternoon.

Another 'dirty' scent - this time not vetiver, but a LOT of flowers (I'm thinking geranium and roses...? Violets?) that mix perfectly with the dark, musty odor of...something dirty. First thought that came to mind was = dirty garden gloves. The strong blast of flowers reminded me of A.maze by POTL, except A.maze is mostly rose, while JdN is a more complex mix of florals. I would think that fans of Velvet Gardenia by Tom Ford or Midnight Violet by Ava Luxe would like JdN also.

Tenacious longevity. It projects lots of sillage too. This might be a little hard to pull off at my office - but I'd try to make it work. It's that good. That is, when I can afford a bottle of this.

MPG is slowly gaining on CdG, Hermes and Frederic Malle as my very favorite line of scents.

Off-Scenter

Default Re: MPG - Jardin du Nil...dirt and floral done right

I too enjoyed Jardin du Nil when I tested it. Definitely "dirty" in a very provocative way. I think I used terms like "post-coital body" to describe it in my review. I'm reminded of the equally raunchy floral formulation in Une Fleur de Cassie, though without that scent's powdery component.

I have enormous respect for MPG as a house. They've introduced several scents that I adore, and even most of those that I don't like are original and uncompromising.
    Last edited by Off-Scenter; 13th August 2007 at 04:55 PM.

Have to disagree.

Compared to certified masterpieces like RDV, Eau de Isles and Santal Noble, this is a "second tier" offering from this magnificent house.

Rotten oranges is all I get. Offputting and unpleasant. Maybe it's because I hate citruses in general.

"Garden of Nothing." How perfectly french existensionalist! I'm sure Sartre and Camus would be proud!
    Last edited by HoldenCaufield; 13th August 2007 at 06:17 AM.

I found Jardin du Nil revolutionary when I tested it the first time already some years ago. I then bought two original, expensive decants from an eBay shop in the US and unfortunately had to pay additional custom charges as well. The problem with some MPG's IMHO is wearability. I think I haven't worn Jardin du Nil more than three times since then. One decant is untouched. the other almost completely full. I really have to sit down once and think about the actual situation when Jardin du Nil makes sense. It's definitely not for office use. Eau des Iles is another one that falls in this category, but at least I found times when and where to wear it: Perfect for hot summer nights, stars and barbecue won't hurt.
    Last edited by dr.creed; 14th August 2007 at 07:49 AM.
    decant sales:
    Crystal Flacon

Off-Scenter

Commnets like these always get me thinking that controversy is one mark of an outstanding scent. MKK, Jicky, Kouros, Miel du Bois, Yatagan, Dzing!...such edgy, even revolutionary, fragrances will invariably elicit strong and varied reactions from different wearers. One of the things I like about MPG is that they're not afraid to push the boundaries. Granted, such an attitude will often compromise wearability - I can't imagine wearing Eau des Iles (Eau de Ashtray), and many people find Parfum d'Habit and Route du Vetiver impossible to wear. Then again, half of the much-lauded Serge Lutens line are considered unwearable by many folks as well. Obviously personal tastes and (as Dr. Creed so insightfully points out,) situation play a large role here.

Hats off to MPG for stepping out of bounds. Without weird pitches like Eau des Iles or Jardin du Nil, we probably wouldn't get Santal Noble, Ambre Precieux, Fraicheur Muskissime, Bahiana, Route du Vetiver, Parfum de Habit, or Sanguine Muskissime. We'd all be poorer for the lack of them.

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by Vibert View Post
    Commnets like these always get me thinking that controversy is one mark of an outstanding scent. MKK, Jicky, Kouros, Miel du Bois, Yatagan, Dzing!...such edgy, even revolutionary, fragrances will invariably elicit strong and varied reactions from different wearers. One of the things I like about MPG is that they're not afraid to push the boundaries. Granted, such an attitude will often compromise wearability - I can't imagine wearing Eau des Iles (Eau de Ashtray), and many people find Parfum d'Habit and Route du Vetiver impossible to wear. Then again, half of the much-lauded Serge Lutens line are considered unwearable by many folks as well. Obviously personal tastes and (as Dr. Creed so insightfully points out,) situation play a large role here.

Hats off to MPG for stepping out of bounds. Without weird pitches like Eau des Iles or Jardin du Nil, we probably wouldn't get Santal Noble, Ambre Precieux, Fraicheur Muskissime, Bahiana, Route du Vetiver, Parfum de Habit, or Sanguine Muskissime. We'd all be poorer for the lack of them.
    Totally agree - in fact, I'm finding myself drawn towards fragrances that others find 'odd' or 'inappropriate'. For me, I understand and appreciate the joy of wearing a scent that appeals to me and all of those around me - and receiving lots of compliments because of this (such as Terre D'Hermes, Rose 31 and Ambre Sultan). However another (and as equally thrilling) way I appreciate scents is wearing a strange, intelligent and complex scent ALL BY MYSELF and loving it immensely. Even when my BF walks in the room and makes a face.

Can't WAIT to try more MPG scents. When I win the lottery I plan on owning them all.

Eau Des Iles smells like it wasn't made for human consumption. It even doesn't fare well as a home spray. Its just too bitter and linear, like a pissed off watchman.

Jardin du nil is the smell of stinky socks wrapped around rotting fruit. Sometimes it reminds me of a classmate in high school who suffered from bad breath and eye boogers. Its even more unwearable and unimaginative than Eau des iles. Check out Malle's Une Fleur de Cassie for something along the same lines but a lot more wearable. Or Rose 31 with its well balanced rose and cumin notes.
    -

I just bought two MPG bottles from a fellow Basenoter : Parfum d`Habit & Jardin du Nil are on the way.

Parfum d`Habit is the one I know well; I`ve had couple of samples, few test runs and couple of full wearings with respectful amount of juice. I love it, I absolutely do. Very easy to wear, comforting like a beautiful, rough & thick emerald green wool sweater. Amazing development quality in this one. Through the most aromatic mixture of insence, geranium, leather, blackcurrant and vetiver, to an outstanding, sweetening drydown in the name of sandalwood and vanilla. IMO, one of the greatest masculine scents ever made, and I am more than happy to get my bottle.

Jardin du Nil is a blind one for me. Never ever have I smelled it, but judging it by the reviews, I`m quite sure that I won`t be disapointed. It sounds exactly like my kind of stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Vibert View Post

Agreed!!! Perfume, like most other things in life needs dissenters. Without them we would be stuck in a bland world of status quo, where everyone smells the same. God Bless the revolutionaries!
    Last edited by The Duke; 14th August 2007 at 02:22 PM.

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by PigeonMurderer View Post
    Jardin du Nil is a blind one for me. Never ever have I smelled it, but judging it by the reviews, I`m quite sure that I won`t be disapointed. It sounds exactly like my kind of stuff.
    Ooh - how exciting. Please post on this thread when you get a chance to give it a full wearing. I'd love to hear your thoughts.

To me, the only scent that matches the floral/dirt combo so well is Midnight Violet by Ava Luxe (or for that matter Black Orchid by Tom Ford).

Off-Scenter

If you find Jardin du Nil appealing, you should also treat yourself to a sample of Une Fleur de Cassie. It is, if possible, even weirder in its blend of flowers and foetid. There's also my new love, Nuit Noire, which starts out as a voluptuous floral and winds up putting Muscs Koublai Khan to shame in the post-coital skanky department. Wheeee!

I got my 2 MPG bottles today (thanks, apekrul!) and been wearing Jardin du Nil this evening.

First impression?

Wow, it is so hard to see why so many people see this as so controversial scent! Why!??!

I love it. It is challinging in a way I guess, but for me it seems to be an easy task to take. No problems at all, and still, I just have to wonder it`s reputation and comments.

There`s a huge load of mint at the beginning, but it very soon gives room for this which seems to be a bottom line of this scent : I get VERY much Yves Rocher`s Mure Sauvage in this, and I actually think this is a very blackberry smelling fragrance! Blackberry mixed up with something that is very reminiscient to that smell of a tomato ketchup!! Then, it has some earthy undertones, that keep this one quite masculine for me. Still, could qualify as a unisex scent for sure.

I waited something more eccentric and peculiar. I got a lovely fruity/floral, that is stimulating with restrained provocative qualities.

Jardin du Nil seems to be a great fragrance!

Quote Originally Posted by HoldenCaufield View Post
    "Garden of Nothing." How perfectly french existensionalist! I'm sure Sartre and Camus would be proud!
    i kinda assumed it had to do with the French for "Nile" as in the Nile River
    Not "Nil" as in the English version of nothing/zero

I get VERY much Yves Rocher`s Mure Sauvage in this, and I actually think this is a very blackberry smelling fragrance!
    I bought both, Yves Rocher's Mure Sauvage and Eryo blind for 3,98 Euro on wednesday on eBay. They should arrive monday. I can't wait!
    decant sales:
    Crystal Flacon

I'm not a fan of Jardin du Nil and have yet to find an MPG that really rocks my world, although I would consider Santal Noble worth a purchase. I like Perfum d' Habit, but I don't feel compelled to purchase it, and Lorenzo Villoresi's Vetiver beat out MPG's hands down for me.

The MPG that I'm loving these days is Baîme. I've got two good wearings left in my little sample vial, and I intend to make them count!
    Spray it, don’t say it…
    WARDROBE

I just received Mure Sauvage by Yves Rocher, it doesn't remind me of Jardin du Nil at all, but it's surprisingly similar to Mure et Musc by L'Artisan Parfumeur though.

I really wouldn't be able to tell the differences if I had to sniff them out.
    Mure et Musc or Mure Sauvage? They start differently, but end absolutely the same IMHO and hey the YR lasts even longer than the L'Artisan!
    Last edited by dr.creed; 27th August 2007 at 02:50 PM.
    decant sales:
    Crystal Flacon

Basenotes Institution

I got my 2 MPG bottles today (thanks, apekrul!) and been wearing Jardin du Nil this evening.

First impression?

Wow, it is so hard to see why so many people see this as so controversial scent! Why!??!

I love it. It is challinging in a way I guess, but for me it seems to be an easy task to take. No problems at all, and still, I just have to wonder it`s reputation and comments.

There`s a huge load of mint at the beginning, but it very soon gives room for this which seems to be a bottom line of this scent : I get VERY much Yves Rocher`s Mure Sauvage in this, and I actually think this is a very blackberry smelling fragrance! Blackberry mixed up with something that is very reminiscient to that smell of a tomato ketchup!! Then, it has some earthy undertones, that keep this one quite masculine for me. Still, could qualify as a unisex scent for sure.

I waited something more eccentric and peculiar. I got a lovely fruity/floral, that is stimulating with restrained provocative qualities.

Jardin du Nil seems to be a great fragrance!
    I am wildly jealous of your new acquisition - Jardin du Nil hit all of the right buttons for me too. I got no tomato ketchup notes, but yes, the blackberry notes when done right (like in Bois de Paradis by Parfums Delrae) really accent the florals nicely and rein in the intense floral arrangement going on in JdN. As soon as I applied it, it kind of 'took over' my style that whole day and didn't let go. It's that kind of scent and although I have to be in the right mood for this type of scent (same thing happens with Black Orchid by Tom Ford, Neroli by L'Occitane or Black Oud by Montale), but when I don't mind 'letting go of the steering wheel' and just going wherever a scent takes me - JdN fits the bill.

Can't wait to wear this again soon!

Dependent

I just dug up a sample of Jardin du Nil and I'm going to have to re-inter it.
    There's to much cow manure in this Garden and it wasn't aged cow manure either.

Sorry for dumping on this one so bad. I need some MKK bad now.