Code of Conduct
    Basenotes Institution

Default Clean, fun neroli

I fell in love with L'Occitane Neroli a while ago (thanks to Basenotes) - but wearing this requires a few things of me: It's not too hot outside (which is hard to navigate living in Miami), I'm not going to be TOO close in proximity to others (the sillage is STRONG), I don't plan on wearing any other fragrance all day (the longevity is atleast 10-12 hours) and I have to be in the mood for this (sometimes its complexities, the sensuality of the fragrance is just....well, a little too much). I still love it. I adore it. Sometimes I open up my closet and just inhale the bottle stopper like one might smell a lover's hair. I imagine this bottle will last me my whole life (which is good, cause L'Occitane discontinued it). But I want an 'accessible' neroli too.

I started branching out and got my fingers dirty with other neroli scents: I sampled Neroli Portofino by Tom Ford (like 4711, on steroids), Neroli by Czech and Speake (very British, very crisp, almost as formal as L'Occitane's) and today Neroli 36 by Le Labo.

It's got the same creamy, white flower blast that these other scents have. But with a tropical suntan lotion accord running through it. It's a perfect balance of notes...I know this might sound gross to some of you, but the combo totally works. The tropical notes really balance out the stiff formality of the neroli and in my opinion make it much more approachable. Also N36 isn't quite such a sillage/longevity monster either - although I kept getting slight waves of it even after 5-6 hours, but just barely. A true SUMMER neroli fragrance. This (and Rose 31 for that matter) is totally FBW, from the Le Labo line. (sigh)

Any other 'clean and FUN' neroli scents out there, in the same 'character' as N36?
    Last edited by mikeperez23; 14th August 2007 at 03:47 AM.

Default Re: Clean, fun neroli

I haven't tried N36, but let me suggest Penhaligon's Castile. I'm very bad at describing fragances, but you can find some reviews at the directory, I hope you like it.
    "It is the mark of a brave man to admit defeat, cut his loss and move on." - David Ogilvy

Castile is a great pairing of neroli and rose.
    d'Orsay's Etiquette Bleue is a wonderful light neroli
    de Nicoali's Cologne Sologne
    Dominguez Azahar, a cheapie with a fresh edge and white blossoms

Villoresi's Dilmun is quite heady, not easy wearing, but you should try it. To me it's the sun to L'Occitane's moon.
    My Wardrobe
    II est de forts parfums pour qui toute matière/Est poreuse. On dirait qu'ils pénètrent le verre.

I haven't tried any of these other neroli scents, but I can easily recommend Creed's Neroli Sauvage. When I first got a bottle, for some reason I wasn't all that impressed initially... but after owning a bottle for a few months I can say it's heavenly.

It may be sacrilege to say this, but I was thinking of your Clockwork Orange/Tang/Play thread and I think one of the things I love about Neroli Sauvage is that it reminds me a bit of orange Tang-- yet totally natural, bright, multifaceted and sparkling. Now when I smell it, I can't understand why it didn't grab me right away. Beautiful stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    I imagine this bottle will last me my whole life (which is good, cause L'Occitane discontinued it). But I want an 'accessible' neroli too.
    The dark and rich L'Occitane Neroli EDP is my neroli of choice for the evenings, while the sparkling Creed Neroli Sauvage is my goto neroli for morning time. These two pretty much cover all the bases.
    -

Wilkes San Francisco,great neroli IMO
    #TOP 5#: Antico Caruso, Penhaligons Racquets,Domenico Caraceni,Great Jones Bond Nº9,G.Trumper Wild Fern

Comme des Garcons' Citrico might be worth pointing your nose at; it's clean, excels in hot weather, doesn't outstay its welcome [on me it's like a strong cologne rather than EdT] and the 500ml splash bottle is both whimsical and good value.

Creed Neroli Sauvage is wonderful

Basenotes Institution

Thanks everyone - will sniff the Creed next time I'm at Neimans (well look at me...getting some Creed love...me who detested the entire line a year ago!)

However, the Castile by Penhaligons I am guessing might be more up-my-speed. Or maybe I'll just get the Le Labo.

Citrico I already own a decant of - can't say that I have any emotional reaction to it, besides its 'pleasant' neroli. Not impressed (I use mine as a room spray and love it!)

I agree with Castile and Cologne Sologne and would add Floris Special No. 127 to the mix.

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by Indie_Guy View Post
    I haven't tried any of these other neroli scents, but I can easily recommend Creed's Neroli Sauvage. When I first got a bottle, for some reason I wasn't all that impressed initially... but after owning a bottle for a few months I can say it's heavenly.

It may be sacrilege to say this, but I was thinking of your Clockwork Orange/Tang/Play thread and I think one of the things I love about Neroli Sauvage is that it reminds me a bit of orange Tang-- yet totally natural, bright, multifaceted and sparkling. Now when I smell it, I can't understand why it didn't grab me right away. Beautiful stuff.
    As in 'bitter' neroli? Or, 'chemical powder' smelling? Or both?

I second Adolfo Dominguez's Azahar.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    As in 'bitter' neroli? Or, 'chemical powder' smelling? Or both?
    I don't know how to best describe it. It's got a real tartness, but also a sweet edible quality like a lemon custard. It can be very mouthwatering. I'm wearing it right now, because I had worn it to work tonight. Neroli Sauvage IS a fragrance that likes being refreshed occasionally-- it isn't the longest lasting in terms of sillage, but it does last a long time in terms of being detectable to those close to you. I guess I like to refresh often because it's one of those fragrances that you can't get enough of. You think it's gone and the next morning when you get in the shower and the water hits you, the smell of Neroli Sauvage comes wafting up...

It doesn't smell bitter or "chemical"at all, but it does smell very bright and focused. It gives the feeling of lying out in the sun on a day with the most perfect weather imaginable. Not to sound all psychedelic, but when you close your eyes and inhale it, you'll swear that you are "smelling colors". It floods you with all kinds of yellows, oranges and even a few shaded greens. As vivid as a scent can be.

Again, I don't know how to compare it to other "nerolis", but it is in and of itself a wonderful fragrance.

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by Indie_Guy View Post
    Not to sound all psychedelic, but when you close your eyes and inhale it, you'll swear that you are "smelling colors". It floods you with all kinds of yellows, oranges and even a few shaded greens. As vivid as a scent can be.
    I can relate. For me, neroli scents (and some florals) mimic this brain-nose reaction when I smell them also. Two that come to mind instantly are the Hermes' Jardins.