Code of Conduct

Default woody,lather fragrances for newbies.

I decided to buy my firts woody, lather, more "mature" scent. I currently only wear Erolfa, Unbound and Givenchy blue label. I have smelled B*men and sometimes I like it, sometimes I do not, as it has some "green" notes that i do not like a lot on me. I smelled Hugo Energize and it was OK but I still want something else. So, what would be your first EDP transition scent to stronger fragrances?

Default Re: woody,lather fragrances for newbies.

Quote Originally Posted by irish View Post
    I decided to buy my firts woody, lather, more "mature" scent. I currently only wear Erolfa, Unbound and Givenchy blue label. I have smelled B*men and sometimes I like it, sometimes I do not, as it has some "green" notes that i do not like a lot on me. I smelled Hugo Energize and it was OK but I still want something else. So, what would be your first EDP transition scent to stronger fragrances?
    Hello,

Feel free to try Bois du Portugal, for Creed, which is a very soft and relaxed 'mature' smell, VERY well put togheter also.
    Not unlike monsters like Anteus, from Chanel, or Boucheron pour homme (EDP). Of course, after about 2, 3 years you can switch to these too ), but in your late 20's they are too heavy.
    If BdP is too expensive for your budget, try Santos from Cartier (a legend itself), which would be the perfume of a well-matured dandy. Or Something else from Chanel (Egoiste Platinum or even Allure).
    Anyway, the best selling men's perfume of all times, at least here on Basenotes, is Guerlain's Vetiver, which could appear to you quite formal. But is an immortal perfume.

Regards,

If you like leather I recommend Creed Royal English Leather, Knize Ten, (if you can find it...as it's only available from the Salons Shiseido in Paris), Serge Lutens Cuir Mauresque, and Paloma Picasso Minotaure.

You should seek out a bottle of Helmut Lang Cuiron. It's discontinued, but it's remarkable. It's a very modern take on leather and not at all stuffy. The topnotes are really fresh and I get a hint of something not unlike the tangerine that is in the topnotes of Erolfa (though overall, these two scents are nothing alike). Cuiron is easily one of the 10 best fragrances of the last 10 years.

Leather + Wood = Derby from Guerlain - it's delicate, yet powerful.

Basenotes Institution

Try the new Narciso Rodriguez for Him. An impressive EdP scent that is mature, woody, masculine and slighly soapy - without being obnoxiously strong. Right now, you can only buy it at Saks Fifth Avenue stores or website.

if you look for some good leather and woods that's my advice...
    non niche: Hermes Bel Ami. I lately smelled the Eau sauvage frecheur cuir and it's a slight leather take on the classic superhedionic citrusy Eau Sauvage... maybe you might like it.
    niche: as previously suggested Creed REL, SL Cuir Mauresque and Knize Ten of course, but also Tauer's Lonestar Memories, or even the hardcore superfetish Montale Aoud Cuir d'Arabie.

Cuiron
    Capucci
    Sud Est
    Greenergy

...might be good ones for you to sample.

Good luck,
    Mike

Off-Scenter

Bulgari Black is worth a try, as are Santa Marial Novella's Nostalgia and Shiseido's superb Basala. Many also find Cartier's woody Declaration appealing, and that one's easy to find and try on. If you're feeling particularly "ballsy," you might also try Parfum d'Habit, from Maitre Parfumeur et Gantier.

Quote Originally Posted by Vibert View Post
    Bulgari Black is worth a try, as are Santa Marial Novella's Nostalgia and Shiseido's superb Basala. Many also find Cartier's woody Declaration appealing, and that one's easy to find and try on. If you're feeling particularly "ballsy," you might also try Parfum d'Habit, from Maitre Parfumeur et Gantier.
    I just bought Bulgari blacka week ago... At first I was a bit dissapointed, too sweet, no rubber, too unisex. The third time I tried it, it just unleashed a great, sexy scent that amazed me. EXcelent fragrance...
    I just ordered some samples of the fragrances some people recomended... what do you people think about John Varvatos?