Code of Conduct

Default Favorite Annick Goutal?

The first AG frag that knocked my socks off was Songes. Voluptuous, exotic, wonderful.
    Then , Eau de Camille, gloriously fresh, innocent, whimsical
    and tonight I sampled Ma Petite Cherie...ooo la la...something about this one, tart, but warm

What are your favorite Annick Goutal scents and why?
    I find all of them, thus far, short on longevity, which is one reason why I don't yet own a bottle.
    I know I will break down eventually and take the brevity along with the beauty.
    "Like a lobster with a pearl in its claw, the beet held the jasmine firmly without crushing or obscuring it. Beet lifted jasmine, the way a bullnecked partner lifts a ballerina, and the pair came on stage on citron's fluty cue. As if jasmine were a collection of beautiful paintings, beet hung it in the galleries of the nose, insured it against fire or theft, threw a party to celebrate it. Citron mailed the invitations." Jitterbug Perfume by Tom Robbins p. 189

What I am loving right now: Shalimar vintage extrait, Chanel Bois des Iles, Chanel no. 22, Le Labo Iris 39, Guerlain Iris Ganache

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Favorite Annick Goutal?

I love almost all AG scents, but I've never warmed to the ones made after her death.

Folavril - gorgeous warm weather scent with jasmin paired with tart mango and tomato leaves notes
    Rose Absolue - the most perfect true rose soliflor made out of six kinds of roses
    Heure Exquise - comforting, dry iris scent
    Eau de Camille - the greenest of the greens
    Eau de Charlotte - mischievous, not-too-sweet gourmand scent
    Passion - the first tuberose scent I could bear to wear
    Eau de Ciel - smells like forget-me-nots would if they had any smell
    Vétiver - salty, beautiful vetiver scent
    Sables - rich, almost treacly immortelle & wood scent
    "Wovon man nicht lesen kann, darüber muss man schreiben."

Post Thanks / Like

I've tried Sables...and it is well named. Hot sand. A touch of spice, like a drier, less pungent Arabie. Do I like it? Well no, not really, but I can appreciate it. It's unashamedly masculine. I thought I would give my sample to my SO to try, but he pronounced it "dad-like" and gave it back.

I tried Eau de Charlotte because it sounded delicious. Unfortunately I can barely smell it on me. There's a faint whiff of Johnson's baby lotion, and that's it.

I've yet to try any others.

I don't know them well enough to list favourites, but I do know I love Songes. I'm hoping my husband will buy me the eau de parfum for my birthday. I've planted the seed...
    "I don't know the key to success,
    but the key to failure is trying to please everybody."
    Bill Cosby

I`ve always noticed the beauty and that certain "thing" in this house, and Goutal`s death in a way underlines this specific view. You see, sadness is beautiful.

However, I`m to admit that there are only two fragrances from AG which I find compelling, and which I honestly think every fragrance enthusiast should definitely experience :

Eau du Fier. By far the best thing Isabelle Doyen has ever produced. A must have for everyone who loves tar, smoke or Lapsang Souchon in their fragrances. To me, this is the ultimate birch tar scent, and I constantly find myself getting intoxicated due to it`s evocative qualities.
    I just recently got my 100ML (exclusive) bottle from Holland. Perhaps there is still a very limited stock available, so if you find this at least a bit interesting, you should definitely get to it. I think you woudn`t be disapointed. (contact Lianne Tio asap)

Then there is Sables, which I find very groundbraking and original. And it is such a delicious fragrance; like a maple sypup with some herbs thown along. Dark, warm, medicinal and almost gourmand.
    And btw, all the fragrances I have tested in my life, Sables has the best longevity ever. It is unbelievable.

These both fragrances are well suited for men and women, at least in my opinion.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PigeonMurderer View Post
    ....Eau du Fier. By far the best thing Isabelle Doyen has ever produced. A must have for everyone who loves tar, smoke or Lapsang Souchong in their fragrances. To me, this is the ultimate birch tar scent, and I constantly find myself getting intoxicated due to it`s evocative qualities....

Then there is Sables, which I find very groundbreaking and original. And it is such a delicious fragrance; like a maple syrup with some herbs thrown along. Dark, warm, medicinal and almost gourmand.

And btw, all the fragrances I have tested in my life, Sables has the best longevity ever. It is unbelievable..
    ....well, you sure make me want to try these, PM. Dang!!

'Cause I was gonna say that I went through a manic AG phase about five years ago (pre-B.N.) cleaned out their last bottles of Chevrefeuille, in which I overindulged - along with Petite Cherie.

Neither lasted more than (it seemed like) 15 minutes so they didn't get re-ordered.I would characterize that "Annick Goutal thing" as being briskly straightforward, "country" with a hint of the sea. (I'm sure I am influenced by knowing they originate in The Low Country.) Besides, I love the little gold bags.
    "The world is ruled by letting things take their course. It cannot be ruled by interfering." Lao Tze

Post Thanks / Like

I love her grand florals like Passion (tuberose chypre) and Grand Amour (remarkable evolution from a green hyacinth to a warm soft oriental base). Also Heure Exquise, inspired directly IMHO from Chanel's N°19; but where Chanel is cold, HE is warm. They all offer great sillage.

Ofcourse AG was also a master at creating eaux fraiches like Eau d'Hadrien (pure lemon juice) and Eau du Sud (green, in the style of Chanel's Cristalle).

Post Thanks / Like

I admit not a big fan of Annick Goutal, the big florals are just not me at all.

Sables warm sandy beaches, driftwood drying in the sun.

Eau de Charlotte blackberries and chocolate, hmmmmmm.
    DONNA

Post Thanks / Like

I really go for those AGs which are easy for men to wear. Vetyver, Sables, Hadrien Absolu, Eau de Monsieur, and the really really delightful Duel. My mom smelled Duel on me and went to buy herself a bottle, even.
    That girl, that bottle, that mattress and me.

Post Thanks / Like

I've never warmed to Goutal and just sold my Sables to -- Pigeonmurderer, of course .
    I found it a well-made perfume, but I don't wear immortelle well - spice rack and all that, plus the syrupy thing, it just wouldn't work. Hadrien did the lemon pledge thing on me, though I might give it another try and Eau de Sud and Mandragore were ho-hum on testing. The one still intriguing me, though, is Vetyver. If it really is salty and high-pitched, I should like it.

It's unfortunate how sometimes not liking one, two things from a house turns you off the whole line, simply because there are so many others to try. Easy to miss good stuff that way.
    My Wardrobe
    II est de forts parfums pour qui toute matière/Est poreuse. On dirait qu'ils pénètrent le verre.

Post Thanks / Like

I have only tried a few AG frags and I have also had trouble with longevity although other than Mandragore I have loved them. I actually own Songes so I guess I would have to say that is my favorite....but there are several I am dying to try so I guess the jury is still out for me

Songes
    Eau de Charlotte
    Sables
    Gardénia Passion
    Autumn treasures: Magnetism, Midnight Orchid, Tea for Two,
    Aimez-Moi, Chinatown, Dzongkha, Five O'Clock Au Gingembre,
    Cittá di Kyoto, Jasmin de Nuit, Jasmin Full, Kelly Calèche, Venezia,
    Douce Amère, Eau de Charlotte, Falling In Love, Chergui, Prada,
    Rose Alexandrie, Hypnôse, Omnia, Flowerbomb, Poivre Piquant,
    Cuir Beluga, 7:15am in Bali, Lolita Lempicka, Fumerie Turque,
    Datura Noir, Songes, Gaultier², L'Ombre Fauve, Kors, My Couture,
    Ligea "La Sirena", Red Aoud, Rose Absolu, Cèdre, Milk, No. 23

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Bending backwards is like falling in love, come bend with me

The mind is like a drunken monkey, it constantly jumps here and there.

Swami Niranjan-ananda

"Our life is shaped by our mind; we become what we think."
    Dhammapada

The longevity factor is holding me back. My first wearing with Songes was together with a dab of Jalaine Patchouli, and the two seemed to dance together, well, Jalaine is extremely longlasting, persistent and the two scents complement nicely.

tried petite cherie again and it seemed to disappear!

anyone ever sample Ce Soir ou Jamais?
    "Like a lobster with a pearl in its claw, the beet held the jasmine firmly without crushing or obscuring it. Beet lifted jasmine, the way a bullnecked partner lifts a ballerina, and the pair came on stage on citron's fluty cue. As if jasmine were a collection of beautiful paintings, beet hung it in the galleries of the nose, insured it against fire or theft, threw a party to celebrate it. Citron mailed the invitations." Jitterbug Perfume by Tom Robbins p. 189

What I am loving right now: Shalimar vintage extrait, Chanel Bois des Iles, Chanel no. 22, Le Labo Iris 39, Guerlain Iris Ganache

Quote Originally Posted by rtamara41 View Post
    anyone ever sample Ce Soir ou Jamais?
    I have but it's been a while. From what I remember it's a strong, sweet, romantic rose, with a honey-like quality. The image I got from it was a single beautiful red rose.

My favorites:
    Eau d'Hadrien because it was my introduction to the Annick Goutal fragrances, and it will always have a special place in my heart. It's a lilting, natural lemony citrus fragrance that is good anywhere, anytime. My only problem with it is that my skin chemistry sometimes turns it sour on very hot, humid days when I perspire.

Eau du Ciel: smells like summer to me. The combination of the iris and rosewood I think is what does it for me...somehow makes me feel nostalgic. I truly love this delicate, tender fragrance. Definitely a HG for me.

Eau de Camille: Amazing and unique. So very green and natural (in fact all of my favorite AG's have that very natural quality). I feel the strong need to wear this fragrance during that part of spring when the young, bright green leaves start to come out on the trees, I guess to feel at one with nature.

It's weird, but even though Eau du Ciel and Eau de Camille are in no way foody or gourmand, they have a certain delicious quality to them right when I spray them on. They smell so good I just want to eat them! Or maybe it's just my nose trying to devour the scent.

I am appreciative of everyone's detailed descriptions and experiences with their favorite Annick Goutal.

Plumeria, Ce Soir ou Jamais sounds pretty. I have lately admitted to myself that rose is one of my favorite notes in general, something that I had not understood until recently.

I am reading a bit online, it sounds like edp is the way to go with AG for more longevity and richness. Though again, I think I have to resign myself to the appreciation of fleeting beauty now and again. Not every fragrance experience has to persist through the day and night.

AG is definitely one of my favorite houses and basically what got me into the world of niche perfume. The full bottles I own of Eau d'Hadrien (Absolu), Mandragore and Duel are probably my favorites, but I love Eau du Sud, Sables, Quel Amour!, Les Nuits d'Hadrien and Eau de Camille as well. A very pretty house with some truly natural beauties among their offerings.

Perhaps they don't all have extreme lasting power, but as Scentemental mentioned in a review for Hadrien: "Enjoy the moment of *Eau d’Hadrien* even if it is brief. In it’s beauty, it is, after all, like all beautiful transient things of this world, an intimation of mortality, perhaps even of immortality."
    Last edited by BrothaG; 19th August 2007 at 12:22 PM.
    "Perfume is the dream that carries me."

There is always the sky to look at

Post Thanks / Like

Clearly, I have to try Eau de Fier! I love tar and smoke. My favorite AGs are Mandragore (I share this one). Sables- still have to buy for DH (and indeed it does last) and her salty Vetiver (DH again).Still thinking about Duel. Like Heure Exquise, but not enough for a bottle. Own Folavril, but it takes the right mood to wear it.Found the Hadriens all too fleeting.

Post Thanks / Like

I like Eau d'Hadrien quite a bit. A first-class citrus and ylang ylang fragrance.
    Duel is somewhat strange, but I like it.
    Sables is very hard to find, but it is worth looking for. This is what Dior's Eau Noire
    is modeled after, I feel.

Post Thanks / Like

Eau d'Hadrien and the evening version, Les Nuits
    And he whose soul is flat -- the sky
    Will cave in on him by and by.

—from "Renascence" by Edna St. Vincent Millay

Post Thanks / Like

All AG perfumes are masterpieces

This is my favorite house, by far.

Ce Soir ou Jamais is sublime. Like fresh cut roses, sap included, plush and wonderful. The ambrette is evident, and there is a slight (very slight) apricot note. I once wore it to work, just because I was in the mood to wear it, and the men I work with just ...swooned.

There used to be a body cream to go with this fragrance, and it's wonderful. Think that the Creme Splendide took the place of many of the creams.