Code of Conduct
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Frederic Malle does a Gendarme - Outrageous !

Really? Did French Lover bomb that badly ?

Notes for Outrageous: orange blossom, Caipirinha (lime, green notes, mint), clean laundry, green apple, amber and cedarwood

"citrusy, oceanic, unisex"

By perfumer Sophia Grojsman, In Barneys Co-op stores this October, $110 for 3.2 Oz.

http://www.viewimages.com/Search.asp...partner=Google

--
    Last edited by zztopp; 16th August 2007 at 08:17 PM.
    -

Default Re: Frederic Malle does a Gendarme - Outrageous !

Oh dear! It looks like Frederic Malle really IS attempting to go mainstream. Apart from VE, I was never a big fan of this house but these latest releases are seriously in danger of tarnishing the house's reputation.

I think he's really lost it...

Malle can hire the best noses in the business and yet he can't hire some one to come up with a decent name.

"Outrageous", that's one really cheesey name. I guess it's an attempt at irony, but somehow the overly tailored beige double breasted suit and the startled look on M. Malle's face in every photo tends to dissipate whatever irony might have otherwise appertained to the launch of such a fragrance.

Now if M. Malle had dressed up like Diddy, with the requisite nouveau riche penchant for chunky tacky gold jewelry and had a number of "hot chicks" draped around him in post orgasmic repose and managed to replicate that goofy Diddy "I too hot for my own good self" shit-eating grin you see him with in all his photos, and charged $250.00 a bottle of "Outrageous", then I would say, yeah, I see the irony in that God awful cheesey name, "Outrageous".

First "French Lover" and now "Outrageous." WTF?

scentemental

Last edited by scentemental; 17th August 2007 at 03:31 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs down Re: Frederic Malle does a Gendarme - Outrageous !

oh my God. The bottle and the name are horrible
    "PLAIN LIVING, HIGH THINKING" O.W., De Profundis
    Real beauty: 1) F. Malle 1-19 2) Chanel Bel Respiro 3) TF Noir de Noir 4) Hermes Eau de Pamplemousse Rose

Noses: 1) Jacques Cavallier 2) Maurice Roucel 3) Dominique Ropion

Basenotes Institution
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by scentemental View Post

WTF?
    Indeed.

Post Thanks / Like

Old Freddie looks none too happy in those photos. Maybe he needs Clinique's Happy? From the sound of it, "Outrageous" sounds like it aped some of Happy (citrusey & unisex).
    Last edited by manicboy; 17th August 2007 at 04:10 AM.
    "I exist for myself, and for those to whom my unquenchable thirst for freedom gives everything, but also for everyone, since insofar as I am able to love - I love everyone. Of noble hearts, I am the noblest - and the most generous of those that yearn to give love in return. - I am a human being, I love death and I love life."

Egon Schiele - Self-Potrait

My classics: Dior Homme EdT, YSL Rive Gauche PH, Helmut Lang Cuiron, L'Occitane Neroli (vintage), Davidoff Zino, L'Occitane Eau des Baux

http://www.basenotes.net/wardrobe/2976

Post Thanks / Like

I am pretty certain this is targeted at the younger crowd. A target demographic that includes all those who use the word "like" in a sentence more than twice.

Quote Originally Posted by sloan_8013 View Post
    I am pretty certain this is targeted at the younger crowd. A target demographic that includes all those who use the word "like" in a sentence more than twice.

"Like . . . it's . . . like outrageous, like . . . you know what I mean?"

Last edited by scentemental; 17th August 2007 at 04:26 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

"Yeah, TOTALLY. It's like .. that scent that came out like last year. You know..like.. the one like..that was from like that other designer?"

Post Thanks / Like

This has to be some sick joke

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by manicboy View Post
    Old Freddie looks none too happy in those photos. Maybe he needs Clinique's Happy? From the sound of it, "Outrageous" sounds like it aped some of Happy (citrusey & unisex).
    Does Frederic Malle ever smile ? Maybe he needs to stick his head into one of those "scent columns"
    -

Post Thanks / Like

If this is a sick joke, it has at least led to some pretty funny posts. If it's not a joke...all I can add is like WTF? And so many other questions...

The design of the bottle is really quite... ugly...

God, it's just soooooo tacky - even the gravely miscalculated concept of 'French Lover' is now beginning to sound not so bad.

If this is an exclusive US and Asia release, I could probably turn a blind eye. However, if he intends to release this in Europe as well...

Post Thanks / Like

Prejudices united. I don't know what else makes me want to defend Monsieur Malle again: maybe his smiles don't win your hearts because he doesn't display a row of (ceramic) teeth as the others do.For a European eye he does smile on the majority of pictures. Only one seems a little forced. The rest appears to be honest, warm even!

I cannot imagine that FM wants 'Outrageous' to be part of the Editions line. Maybe it's for export only, or a chain store shelf item? It could still be a good scent, wait and sniff ! Sophia Grojsman is maybe the first perfumer 'hired' for a Malle job. That would be interesting. Isn't there anything but pictures about this Barney's event? Scenteur7, where are you ?
    Last edited by narcus; 18th August 2007 at 09:08 AM.
    'Il mondo dei profumi è un universo senza limiti: una fraganza puo rievocare sensazioni, luoghi, persone o ancora condurre in uno spazio di nuove dimensioni emozionali' L. V.

Quote Originally Posted by narcus View Post
    I don't know what makes me want to defend Monsieur Malle: maybe his smiles don't win your hearts because he doesn't show a row of teeth at the same time, but for a European eye he does smile on the majority of pictures. Only one smile seems a little forced, the rest appears to be honest, or warm even.
    It's not his lack of genuine smiles that concern me, it's the 'outrageous' concept of his new product.

lol!

Post Thanks / Like

inspiring thread.

french lover hasn't been out long enough for anyone to know much of anything about it - takes at least a year and a half (usually more) for that to occur. the other one isn't even out and people are talking about it. what the f_ck is right. and i could give a sh_t what frederic malle looks like and if he's f_cking smiling. i also don't give a rats ass about the names of his fragrances. the reasons for naming fragrances, designing bottles, etc is dictated by all sorts of variables. only thing that matters to me is how the stuff makes me feel when i smell it.

Post Thanks / Like

r_ght on pl_ran!

Post Thanks / Like

I dunno. What talks like a duck and walks like duck usually smells like a duck.
    From the way they're promoting this, down to the style of the fantasy notes, it's going to be a lifestyle fragrance for conspicuous consumers: Exciting Malle label - dead boring content. It may not be bad, but there's already way too many Gendarmes out there, we need principled rogues and it looks just a little like this one is beginning to sell out. If Outrageous turns out to be outrageously good or daring, all the better.
    Last edited by the_good_life; 17th August 2007 at 12:01 PM.
    My Wardrobe
    II est de forts parfums pour qui toute matière/Est poreuse. On dirait qu'ils pénètrent le verre.

Post Thanks / Like

"Life with out Malle is ourtrageous"

Post Thanks / Like

I bought FM French Lover a month ago...it´s one of my best fragrances...it´s a classic...let´s talk about this scent next year...a lot of basenoters love Terre d´Hermes or Gucci PH, but hate Bois d`Orage / French Lover...very strange??? Of course a lot of US-Noters don´t understand the word French Lover...what name, what name...you need the European feeling to that...What pity that they don´t call this in USA (American Lover) hahahahahhahaa
    Last edited by P-Natra; 17th August 2007 at 01:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by P-Natra View Post
    I bought FM French Lover a month ago...it´s one of my best fragrances...it´s a classic...let´s talk about this scent next year...a lot of basenoters love Terre d´Hermes or Gucci PH, but hate Bois d`Orage / French Lover...very strange??? Of course a lot of US-Noters don´t understand the word French Lover...what name, what name...you need the European feeling to that...What pity that they don´t call this in USA (American Lover) hahahahahhahaa
    I think it's because people were expecting something extraordinary (excuse the pun) or highly innovative. Remember, Hermes and Gucci are designer houses, not niche. But, yes, maybe a year from now some may 'get it'. We'll see...
    Last edited by Trebor; 17th August 2007 at 02:08 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

i can buy 100ml of Gucci PH for $30, so i don't think it's even fair to compare that to a Malle frag? (aka $180 for 100ml)

that's like arguing "Don't criticise a Rolls Royce for having boring mainstream lines, because a Camry has those same lines too"

Post Thanks / Like

Well I wasn't a fan of Lover, Terre, or Gucci PH. I'm not going to pass judgement here on the name alone. I think it's a bit boring and highly doubt your typical highschool boy is going to not be embarassment admitting he is wearing "Outrageous." I wonder where the name is coming from? Is the scent really that outrageous? This could very well be a ground breaking fragrance. Who knows.

Post Thanks / Like

Well, I liked French Lover enough to get a bottle from France. I'll judge Outrageous when I get a chance to sniff. Who knows? l'Antimatiere did well for me with it's wool blanket note, maybe Malle can elevate clean sheets to art.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by the_good_life View Post
    I dunno. What talks like a duck and walks like duck usually smells like a duck.
    Quack, waddle, I smell great.
    "Don’t try to be original. Be simple. Be good technically, and if there is something in you, it will come out. ” - Henri Matisse.

"Wear R de Capucci" - Hirch Duckfinder

reviews

Off-Scenter

I concur with pluran and matreal, and will suspend judgement until I smell the stuff, though I must admit that the descriptions of Outrageous don't sound the least bit promising.

As for the names, neither is a winner, and both are ultimately irrelevant. It's the contents of the bottle that count, and the contents of the bottle upon which these (and all scents) ought to be judged.

I don't know about the fragrance itself [though I'm not heartened, given the description], but that packaging/graphic design is truly awful. It's like a 'my first Quark XPress' homework project.

Very surprising, given the sleek, effortless, "we're all here for the fragrance, right?" utilitarianism of the Editions range.

Ah well. Let's see how it s_ells.

YAWN!!!! This used to be my favorite house. I have purchased, and worn all the exsisting frags. ordered French lover online, what a mediocre, and boring scent.....I've moved on to Le Labo, Montale, and looking fordward to By killian. ADIOS FM, you are the new Creed, and bond no.9.

It appears that good ole chap Fred Malle is a victim of his own success. I'm not a fan of his stuff for men, but he knows how to make a woman's scent, that's for sure. But from what I have sampled, each one of his scents have been unique and far from mainstream.

With French Lover, its his first "extreme" version ala Bulgari and others; its a remake. It may be a good remake of Angelique de las Poopooey or whatever its called, but its still a rehash.

As for Outrageous, I don't blame anyone for going mainstream; its a dog eat dog world and you gotta make a profit. I'm down for that.

I totally disagree with Pluran, which is mostly a rare event. Marketing and advertising is a big factor for business, otherwise it wouldn't occur (I reference the thread about Tom Ford). Poor branding has killed great products. That bottle in particular is outrageous and it could very well injure Fred's reputation.

TNMA
    "Why not seize the pleasure at once?"
    -- Jane Austen (Sun, and Mercury in Sagittarius)

Quote Originally Posted by thenmarcher View Post
    It appears that good ole chap Fred Malle is a victim of his own success. I'm not a fan of his stuff for men, but he knows how to make a woman's scent, that's for sure. But from what I have sampled, each one of his scents have been unique and far from mainstream.

With French Lover, its his first "extreme" version ala Bulgari and others; its a remake. It may be a good remake of Angelique de las Poopooey or whatever its called, but its still a rehash.

As for Outrageous, I don't blame anyone for going mainstream; its a dog eat dog world and you gotta make a profit. I'm down for that.

I totally disagree with Pluran, which is mostly a rare event. Marketing and advertising is a big factor for business, otherwise it wouldn't occur (I reference the thread about Tom Ford). Poor branding has killed great products. That bottle in particular is outrageous and it could very well injure Fred's reputation.

TNMA
    This has to be the best post yet!

honestly I don't find the bottle that bad... it does kinda suit the name, its a bit 80's (the text) and theres been a big 80's revival lately...

I for one i'm glad to have never helped line Malle's double-breasted pockets. His deer-in-the-headlights look in those pics is priceless! LMAO.

And that "outrageous" fragrance bottle looks like some cheap, generic aspirin container.
    Last edited by knightowl; 19th August 2007 at 08:03 AM.
    Are you not entertained??? Is this not why you are here??