Code of Conduct

Default Which fragrance received the most compliments?

The most compliments i ever received from one particular fragrance was CK Crave which i hear has been discontinued, i couldn't believe that of all the fragrances i owned it had to be the cheapest one that impressed the most people. But then my girlfriend did buy it for me on holiday.

How about you guys?!
    Last edited by adamX; 16th August 2007 at 10:31 PM.

Default Re: Which fragrance received the most compliments?

Aramis Tuscany
    Romeo Gigli Sud Est
    Kenneth Cole Reaction
    Creed GIT
    Halston Unbound
    GFT by Trumper
    Frank Number 1
    Hugh Parsons Traditional

haha i only meant one

Those were just the compliments I received this month....lol.

But seriously, I wanted to give you some suggestions of scents that others seem to like when I'm wearing them. I happen to really like them all myself, but that doesn't mean you'll like wearing them. If you have an opportunity to test some of them you might find yourself a signature scent that others will like too.

P.S. - I'm not a very dashing guy, so when someone compliments my scent it really is the scent they are praising...if you know what I mean.

Best regards,
    Mike

Smile Re: Which fragrance received the most compliments?

Quote Originally Posted by adamX View Post
    The most compliments i ever received from one particular fragrance was CK Crave which i hear has been discontinued, i couldn't believe that of all the fragrances i owned it had to be the cheapest one that impressed the most people. But then my girlfriend did buy it for me on holiday.

How about you guys?!
    Kenzo Man
    CDG Soda
    Kenzo Flower
    Piment Brulant L'artisan
    L'eau Bleue
    CDG Guerilla 2
    Read my perfume reviews at: http://perfumenoparatodos.blogspot.com/

Digital art portfolio: www.dreamlandpostcards.com

YSL Opium edp pour homme
    "PLAIN LIVING, HIGH THINKING" O.W., De Profundis
    Real beauty: 1) Frederic Malle 1-20 2) Chanel Egoiste 3) YSL Opium pour Homme edp 4) TF Noir de Noir

Noses: 1) Jacques Cavallier 2) Maurice Roucel

Dior Homme
    Allure Homme Sport EDT
    Dior Higher
    Platinum Egoiste
    Polo Blue
    Bvlgari Aqva

#1 Escada Magnetism (like you, it is probably the cheapest in my collection)
    tie #2 Dior Homme
    tie #2 Helmut Lang Cuiron

Now, for a short explanation. Magnetism and Dior Homme are both more conventionally popular fragrances. They're sweet and very likable. No surprises there.

As for Cuiron, I really don't think it is the type of scent that has generally "popular" notes. Pure understated leather, with some kind of gaseous notes and a bit of plum (supposedly) in the opening. It is alien to most people, in fact. That it is one of my top compliment getters PROVES the point that fragrance has to fit the individual. I feel that Cuiron suits me incredibly well. I feel "at my best" in it. People must catch on to that at some subconscious level and associate the fragrance with that feeling of subtle confidence. Thus, I get compliments. I bet if those same people that like it on me were to smell it on a card, they would be generally confused and probably a little repulsed by the opening.
    "It's not what you look like when you're doing what you're doing; it's what you're doing when you're doing what you look like you're doing."

Recently these:
    YSL L'Homme
    Gucci PH II
    Lacoste Elegance

In the past:
    Acqua di Gio
    Polo Blue
    Armani Code
    Allure Homme
    Echo by Davidoff
    And I remember recieving lots of compliments on Dunhill X-centric few years ago, which still surprizes me...

recently.. the only two fragrances that have really caused a ripple in those around me have been Creed's MI and Cartier's Declaration..

Infact, a cashier in our local supermarket called over two fellow cashiers to smell me. It was flattering and quite awkward... heh

a.

Blog Entries

Lately it's been Musc Ravageur & M7. I used to get tons of compliments on Lolita Lempicka au masculin, but I think everyone's used to smelling on that on me now 'cause I haven't gotten a compliment on that in ages.
    "Wait...is David Bowie really God?" - Penelope Garcia

Definitely Mugler's Cologne,
    Scent Intense - Costume National
    Minotaure - Paloma Picasso
    and previously, Chrome - Azzaro

In the last few months, only two really:

Geir Ness
    YSL L'Homme

I used to get some on GIT, but yesterday went by without a word.

I think my biggest problem is a fear of wearing too much.

Default Re: Which fragrances receive the most compliments?

TOP "COMPLIMENT GETTERS" FOR ME (NO PARTICULAR ORDER)

1.) New York by Patricia de Nicolaï (Tons of compliments, always -- from both men and women. Great for fall and winter, this one.)

2.) Havana (and Havana Reserva) by Aramis (Especially in wintertime.)

3.) Catalyst for Men by Halston (Cheap, spicy and always popular with both genders.)

4.) L'eau d'Issey Miyake for Men (MAJOR compliments, esp. from women.)

5.) Musc Ravageur by F. Malle (Many kudos from men and women alike)

6.) Bois de Portugal by Creed (Very like its close cousin, Nicolaï's New York.)

7.) Aura of Patchouli by Caswell Massey (Patchouli goes well on my skin. Really, any patchouli gets me compliments -- the more linear, the better. Even plain old patchouli oil works wonders on me. I just like the CM version because it's comparably cheap, has great lasting power on me, and is readily available.)

8.) Noir Épices by F. Malle (I always get stunning compliments from other gay men with this gem.)

9.) Jaïpur Homme (edp version) by Boucheron (Be careful with the edp version, though -- a little bit goes a LONG, LONG way. I wore too much into a courtroom when testifying in a divorce trial last year, and the attorney for whose side I was working had to tell me, "You smell GREAT, honey, but you might wanna take it easy on the cologne next time."

10.) Monsieur Musk by Houbigant (Proof that price doesn't mean squat. OODLES of compliments when I wear this one!)
    If I had to pick ONE winner, well, I would likely decide in favor of a tie between L'eau d'Issey and Musc Ravageur.
    Noir Épices would come in as a very close runner-up.
    Last edited by tvlampboy; 17th August 2007 at 02:24 PM.

Peggy: "Right now, we have to get to the mental institution. Something terrible has happened."
    Latrelle: "What?"
    Peggy: "Brother Boy has tried to kill himself. He jumped out of his bedroom window."
    Latrelle: "Isn't he only on the second floor?"
    Peggy: "Yes, but he hit his head on a lawn gnome."
    Fr. Sordid Lives: The Series
    "Live, live, live! Life is a banquet, and most poor suckers are starving to death."
    Auntie Mame
    [/B]

Creed SMW
    Creed M.I.
    Creed GIT
    YSL Rive Gauche
    Issey Miyake
    Armani Code
    Terre d´Hermés
    Marc Jacobs for Men
    Sean John Unforgivable (yes thats true)
    Chanel Allure Sport (original, not the Cologne)
    Bond No. 9 Wall Street
    Chanel Egoiste
    --------------------------------------
    only the people which fragrance suits the best gets compliments :-)
    Last edited by P-Natra; 17th August 2007 at 02:18 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Default Re: Which fragrances receive the most compliments?

TOP "COMPLIMENT GETTERS" FOR ME (NO PARTICULAR ORDER)

1.) New York by Patricia de Nicolaï (Tons of compliments, always -- from both men and women. Great for fall and winter, this one.)

2.) Havana (and Havana Reserva) by Aramis (Especially in wintertime.)

3.) Catalyst for Men by Halston (Cheap, spicy and always popular with both genders.)

4.) L'eau d'Issey Miyake for Men (MAJOR compliments, esp. from women.)

5.) Musc Ravageur by Frédéric Malle (Many, many kudos from men and women alike -- ALWAYS.)

6.) Bois de Portugal by Creed (Very like its close cousin, Nicolaï's New York.)

7.) Aura of Patchouli by Caswell Massey (Patchouli goes well on my skin. Really, any patchouli gets me compliments -- and the more linear, the better, btw. Even plain old patchouli oil works wonders on me. I just like the CM version because it's comparably cheap, has great lasting power on me, and is readily available.)

8.) Noir Épices by Frédéric Malle (I always get stunning compliments from other gay men when I spritz on this gem!)

9.) Jaïpur Homme (edp version) by Boucheron (Be careful with the edp version, though -- a little bit goes a long, LONG way. I wore too much into a courtroom when testifying in a divorce trial last year, and the attorney for whose side I was working had to tell me, "You smell GREAT, honey, but you might wanna take it easy on the cologne next time." (I had put on a total of MAYBE five or six spritzes. I reeked for DAYS.)

10.) Monsieur Musk by Houbigant/Dana (Proof that price doesn't mean squat. I just bought an 8 oz. spray on eBay recently and it was all of $22.00 or so -- incl. shipping! OODLES of compliments when I wear this one!)

11.) Calvin for Men by Calvin Klein (A bit hard to find now that it's been discontinued TWICE.)

12.) The Dreamer by Versace (You either love this one or hate it. I love its tobacco-y drydown, and so does everyone else who smells it on me.)
    If I had to pick ONE winner, well, I would likely decide in favor of a tie between L'eau d'Issey and Musc Ravageur.
    For the price and availability/wearability, though, L'eau d'Issey probably would come out ahead.
    Noir Épices would come in as a very close runner-up to the top two in terms of the sheer number of compliments it garners me.
    Last edited by tvlampboy; 17th August 2007 at 04:06 PM.

Peggy: "Right now, we have to get to the mental institution. Something terrible has happened."
    Latrelle: "What?"
    Peggy: "Brother Boy has tried to kill himself. He jumped out of his bedroom window."
    Latrelle: "Isn't he only on the second floor?"
    Peggy: "Yes, but he hit his head on a lawn gnome."
    Fr. Sordid Lives: The Series
    "Live, live, live! Life is a banquet, and most poor suckers are starving to death."
    Auntie Mame
    [/B]

Kouros; Bulgari Aqua; M7; DKNY Men

And... the compliments machine... Creed MI

YSL Opium edp pour homme!

Silver Mountain Water and CdG Sequoia. Probably my top two as well.

Chanel ALLURE (just got 3 compliments today)
    Burberry BRIT (several times)
    L'instant Extreme
    Cool Water (please don't fall asleep)
    Dunhill DESIRE
    Dunhill EDITION
    D & G pour homme (I don't like wearing it much)
    Azzaro SILVER BLACK (a few times)

Out of these BRIT stands on top.
    Current Top 5

1. Creed Aventus
    2. A*Men Pure Malt
    3. L'instant Extreme
    4. Nasomatto Duro
    5. CDG - Kyoto

My most recent was definitely Mugler's cologne, but, the most is probably Isfarkand (it stands out), follow by unforgivable, Magnetism (my most worn and casual scent), and Clinique Happy (I never really smell it myself when I have it own).

Wow.. last night I decided to wear Visit by Azzaro because I was sort of playing eenie meenie in my closet. It turned out to be a good random choice. I got SO many compliments on it. One girl came up to me at the bar to ask if she could get closer to smell and ask what it was. All said and done, I had 4 separate people beam about how great I smelled. Oh, $15 Visit, go on with your bad self.
    I'm a colognosaurus. Rawr!

Thumbs up Re: Which fragrance received the most compliments?

Japur edp
    Black Aoud
    Dior Homme
    Terre De Hermes
    Pierre Cardin's Cuir Ambre
    L' Air Du Desert Marocain

Basenotes Institution

M7 by YSL (got lots of compliments, and I didn't even like it that much!)
    Terre D'Hermes by HERMES
    Black Oud by MONTALE
    Neroli by L'OCCITANE

L'air du desert Morocain; The Dreamer; Mugler Cologne; Patchouly Patch; R de Capucci.

green irish tweed