Code of Conduct

Thread: Kelly Caleche?

Default Kelly Caleche?

Has anyone tried it yet? I am dying to try it but I have not seen many reviews on it. I am hoping to get a sample soon and I am trying very hard not to order it unsniffed.

Default Re: Kelly Caleche?

Hey this is a timely thread as I just went to my Hermes store at lunchtime today and tried it. The SA told me that it is a true floral. As the florals that are used are more "earthy", it should give the impression of leather.

My snozzle didn't detect the leather (my nose is admittedly not the best), but it is a definite floral. Not the flowery floral, if you know what I mean, but a floral nonetheless.

After lunch, I couldn't detect much more. At this point, I can say that it's unique, but nothing to write home about -- jury is out whether or not it is full bottle worthy.

The SA gave me a little sample to take home, so I have to try it in the morning, when my nose is at it's best.

I wouldn't buy this blind.
    Last edited by dimples; 17th August 2007 at 12:50 AM.
    I'm simplifying my life. For Sale Thread (some niche, some designer):
    http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=222407

happy is the bleu heart<3

This is what I wrote on the Emergency Board on June 22:

I tested Hermes Kelly Caleche today and many of you asked me what I thought.

I'm disappointed. To me, it is so similar to Dior Homme, which I already own, I wouldn't even think of buying it. Iris is the prominent note, and really the only floral note that I smell. The leather is very subtle; very soft and delicate. The entire scent stays very close to the skin, with very little sillage.

The official notes are: mimosa, narcissus, iris, lily of the valley, climbing rose, tuberose, leather

I swear I do not smell any of the other floral notes besides the iris I wonder if spraying it on would help? I dabbed this out of a sample vial. Maybe spraying would amp up the floral notes a bit more?
    I've trademarked the color bleu

I had such high hopes. Now I want to cry.

Basenotes Institution

Almost all of the reviews of KC are disappointing...I was really looking forward to this Hermes release. I have not sniffed it yet. Honestly, I'm kind of scared to...since I might hate it. Sounds like full on Jean Claude Ellena minimalism (ala Angeliques sous la pluie, L'Eau D'Hiver, Bois Farine, etc....) and while some of the minimalism I truly enjoy (Eau D'Orange Verte Concentree) I don't know if I need yet another floral Hermes scent. I WANTED LEATHER!

I was going to buy a decant of KC when The Perfumed Court opened but now I'm really thinking I'm going to get Rousse, by Serge Lutens instead. I tried a tiny sample of Rousse and since then its held me in its grip!

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    Almost all of the reviews of KC are disappointing...I was really looking forward to this Hermes release. I have not sniffed it yet. Honestly, I'm kind of scared to...since I might hate it. Sounds like full on Jean Claude Ellena minimalism (ala Angeliques sous la pluie, L'Eau D'Hiver, Bois Farine, etc....) and while some of the minimalism I truly enjoy (Eau D'Orange Verte Concentree) I don't know if I need yet another floral Hermes scent. I WANTED LEATHER!

I was going to buy a decant of KC when The Perfumed Court opened but now I'm really thinking I'm going to get Rousse, by Serge Lutens instead. I tried a tiny sample of Rousse and since then its held me in its grip!
    Leather was exactly what I wanted. Soft, smooth leather. I guess I may have to continue my search. I have not tried Rousse. I do like Dzing a lot though.
    Last edited by tdi; 17th August 2007 at 01:38 AM.

happy is the bleu heart<3

I have to say, as a leather lover, I was terribly disappointed. This leather was way too subtle and mild for my taste ...
    I've trademarked the color bleu

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by tdi View Post
    Leather was exactly what I wanted. Soft, smooth leather. I guess I may have to continue my search. I have not tried Rousse. I do like Dzing a lot though.
    tdi, just so you know, Rousse is not a leather scent (cinnamon - red hot candy style!)...didn't want you to be confused.

Love Dzing also...can you believe L'Artisan discontinued it. WTF?

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    tdi, just so you know, Rousse is not a leather scent (cinnamon - red hot candy style!)...didn't want you to be confused.

aLove lsDzingo...can you believe L'Artisan discontinued it. WTF?
    Thanks Mike . I did remember that Rousse was a cinnamon fragrance, which I have not tried. I love spicey fragrances though and I hear Rousse is just that. I did not know Dzing was discontinued though so thanks for the heads up....I only have a decant of it. Why do all of the interesting frags get discontinued. I pray every day for Britney Spears' whole line to be d/c'd so my Mom will stop wearing it ( it will probably live on in Marshalls and TJ Maxx for years and years though!)

I smelled it last week on a piece of paper. Yesterday my very generous BF brought me a bottle back from the Faubourg store in Paris. He told me that the SA never spoke about the leather. We suppose she doesn't want to make customers weary. Also the sample I got with it reads:
    "The unexpected caress of leather among flowers.
    Mimosa, iris, tuberose, and climbing rose.
    A floral perfume touched by leather."
    But the french text says "Un parfum &#224; fleur de cuir." Unfortunately that's not possible to translate in English.
    So they speak more about a leather-like effect than a real leather note if you get what I mean...

Anyway here is what I personally think about the fragrance.
    It opens with a rosy fruity accord in the style of Ellena's In Love Again for YSL. I can't really smell the mimosa as a flower per se, but I do detect the mimosa almond-like note and its softness which is further enhensed by iris. No earthy/powdery iris here, it's like they only kept its soft quality. The whole stays fresh yet soft... I would say silky, with just a hint of fruity sweetness. The rose keeps popping its head out from time to time. The first hour really plays on the contrast between the sharper fresh notes and the soft notes. It's only much later that the softness eventually overtakes the fragrance and that something "leathery" appears. It's hard to discribe: it's not leathery, nor woody, maybe a bit medicinal (is that the tuberose I didn't detect earlier?). I can't compair it to anything really.

I would say that "silky" is what best discribes Kelly Cal&#232;che. Though the name suggests the iconic bag, the fragrance is as airy, sleek yet soft as famous Herm&#232;s silk "carr&#233;".

Kelly Cal&#232;che doesn't give much sillage compaired to Herm&#232;s' original Cal&#232;che, Rouge Herm&#232;s or 24 Faubourg; but it's reasonably longlasting. Young, elegant and easy to wear. Could be way too subtle for the Coco Mademoiselle and Miss Dior Cherie crowd. And franky, tough I'm not from that crowd I wish KC had a bit more "curves", it's a bit too polite for me. But I'm an Ellena fan and I'm glad I got a full bottle.

I would say that "silky" is what best discribes Kelly Cal&#232;che. Though the name suggests the iconic bag, the fragrance is as airy, sleek (yet soft) as a famous Herm&#232;s silk "carr&#233;".

I hope that next year an eau de parfum version will be launched, with a sexier base (more "curves"!!!).

Edit: I was wrong!!! Kelly Caleche has sillage. My boyfriend noticed and a friend of mine was wondering what smelled so good. So, I guess KC has more "throw" that I thought.
    Last edited by cedriceccentric; 18th August 2007 at 08:04 AM.

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by cedriceccentric View Post
    Edit: I was wrong!!! Kelly Caleche has sillage. My boyfriend noticed and a friend of mine was wondering what smelled so good. So, I guess KC has more "throw" that I thought.
    I find the same thing happens to me, with MANY of JC Ellena creations (Un Jardin sur le Nil by Hermes; Rose Poivree by The Different Company and others), when I stop smelling them, they can still be smelled by others. His fragrances have very mysterious subtleties to them. I love that.

Maybe tomorrow I'll head over to the Hermes boutique and overspray some on my arms so I can just sniff it for myself ALREADY!!

Mike if you hit Hermes let us know what you think! KC may not be what I had hoped but I still want to at least smell it.

Basenotes Institution

OK, so I just got back from the Hermes boutique here in Bal Harbour - with the sole intention of smelling Kelly Caleche (oh yeah, and having brunch with my boyfriend too...oops).

Thoughts:

1. Top notes are wonderful - and remind me strongly of Un Jardin Sur Le Nil. I haven't searched out the top notes of both, to see if they share any similar top notes but it was 'instant recognition'. Has anyone smelled both and recognize similarities?
    2. I smell hay. Just barely. Fresh hay (not dried). None of the reviews I read mentioned this. Hmmm.
    3. No leather. None. WTF?
    4. As it develops it goes along that same minimal path that I expected it to...soft, subdued florals and once again that 'Un Jardin sur le Nil' note that I can't figure out what it is. Is it green mango? Whatever it is, it's slightly effervescent (in that sparkly way that Terre d'Hermes gets with the orange). Let me even say this: The very best parts of Un Jardin sur le Nil are intensified and prolonged in Kelly Caleche.
    5. In the scale of my favorite JC Ellena to my least favorite, I would put this right in the middle. Admirable, totally perfect for the summer hot weather, average sillage - but I already own a few 'average' JC Ellena creations (Eau D'Orange Verte Concentree by Hermes; Eau de Campagne by Sisley) - do I really need another one? Would I wear it if I owned it? Not sure. Maybe I shoudl buy a small decant from The Perfumed Court?
    6. The bottle top is cool as sh*t. It The actual bottle itself (glass) replicates the shape and feel of the Hermessence bottles, rounded reectangular columns. But the bottle stopper/atomizer on KC is hidden behind a dark band of wood on the circumference of the base. There is a small chrome 'ring' (very tiny) attached to the band. When you slide the ring in clockwise direction, the atomizer rises up behind the band of wood. After spraying the scent you turn the ring counterclockwise and the atomizer disappears. Thus eliminating the need for a cap on the bottle cap. VERY Italian, I must say.

Bottom line: If you like JC Ellena you'll probably like KC. However, you probably won't LOVELOVELOVE it. Honestly, if I smelled this (in a blind smelling test) and noone told me it was a JC Ellena scent, I'd most likely go crazy over it. I think I just came to KC with extremely high expectations, including the assumption it was going to be a leather scent. Perhaps on SOMEONE'S skin KC is 'leathery'. Not mine.

So glad I finally got to smell it. Like an itch, that's finally been scratched. ;]

Thanks for the review Mike. No leather? That is disappointing but I will still at the least have to smell it.

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by tdi View Post
    Thanks for the review Mike. No leather? That is disappointing but I will still at the least have to smell it.
    Please do.

Basenotes Institution

Anyone want to share more about their experiences with Kelly Caleche?
    "The beginning of freedom is the realization that you are not the "thinker." The moment you start watching the thinker, a higher level of consciousness becomes activated. You then begin to realize that there is a vast realm of intelligence beyond thought, that thought is only a tiny aspect of that intelligence. You also realize that all the things that truly matter - beauty, love, creativity, joy, inner peace - arise from beyond the mind.

You begin to awaken"

-- Eckhart Tolle

People's impressions of this one seem to vary quite a bit. I definitely get leather in this, and it lasts throughout the drydown. But to me it is very soft, subtle leather, not at all like the brash green stylized leather in something like Bandit, nor the more literal but very intense leather of Cuir Ottoman. It has a sparkly rose-grapefruit note that is similar to YSL In Love Again. The florals are well blended, but if I had to pick one out I'd say rose and possibly mimosa. I think it's a lovely scent, but honestly I have a decant and don't reach for it much. I think it's because of the hesperidic note, which is very prominent never really fades away--grapefruit is not my favorite, although JCE seems to be fond of it.

I've sniffed it, and I liked it. Not sure I liked it enough to buy it, but I really should skin-test it. Currently though, I'm so in love with Infusion D'Iris I don't want to buy anything new.
    "I don't know the key to success,
    but the key to failure is trying to please everybody."
    Bill Cosby

I enjoyed the scent on paper-
    but on my skin, it turned HORRID, and I couldn't wait to scrub...
    It went sour, really sour.

so, I think skin is the only way to go...

i tested it with a friend last week and got a little leather behind all the floral notes, but it was an extremely gentle, soft leather. thought the composition of the whole thing was sublime.
    current favourites: guerlain vetiver, trumper eucris, adp colonia
    latest swag: cdg man2, lolita lempicka au masculin
    next buys: keiko mecheri oliban, michael by michael kors

Red face Re: Kelly Caleche?

I have ordered a 15ml Mini of this - and I am hoping what it will be like a 'turned down' Tabac Blond with Fleur de Bulgarie the Rose which was my fave combination till I ran out of my decants. Even if it is not a Rose floral with leather - I do hope there is LEATHER.

Will let you know my thoughts when I get it!!
    Last edited by Gumoosh; 7th November 2007 at 04:56 AM.
    “If I had to live my life again, I'd make the same mistakes, only sooner.” Tallulah Bankhead - Actress

I have tested it very briefly only once and did not detect any impression of leather at all.
    It reminded me more of Coco Mademoiselle, it was sweeter than I expected it to be.
    However, I shall try once more.

Isn't Eau d'Hermes a frag that has leather in it from this house?
    Not to digress, but
    I will say that nothing matches Tabac Blond for me for a good full bodied leather.
    En Avion is a flower , mildly sweet leather.
    Daim Blond is another softer atmospheric leather.

KC? I did not sense the leather.
    Last edited by rtamara41; 7th November 2007 at 03:05 AM.
    "Like a lobster with a pearl in its claw, the beet held the jasmine firmly without crushing or obscuring it. Beet lifted jasmine, the way a bullnecked partner lifts a ballerina, and the pair came on stage on citron's fluty cue. As if jasmine were a collection of beautiful paintings, beet hung it in the galleries of the nose, insured it against fire or theft, threw a party to celebrate it. Citron mailed the invitations." Jitterbug Perfume by Tom Robbins p. 189

What I am loving right now: Shalimar vintage extrait, Chanel Bois des Iles, Chanel no. 22, Le Labo Iris 39, Guerlain Iris Ganache

How ironic - I tested kelly caleche for the first time yesterday. I thought it was nice; floral, quite fruity but I didn't detect any leather. Had a familiar smell to it - I haven't worked out whether it's very similar to something I have tested before or whether I have smelled this on someone else

I love Kelly Caleche. I get a very nice leather that smells just like the leather straps on my Gucci bag. So, KC has been dubbed my Gucci Bag Perfume LOL! I clearly get the smell of leather on my skin with this one along with a lot of compliments. Sillage has hardly been a problem for me with any frag, but KC definitely stays with me until I wash it off. See, all y'all complaining about sillage need to get down with my skin regimen. I even bought KC for my friend and she loved it. I'm going to buy this for another friend fo mine as well. Thanks Mike!!!
    Diva is fartin in your perfume mist before you walk through it!! Walk slow and let it marinate......

Divatologist....Breaking perfume rules since 1969
    I smells goooooooooooood! Don't believe me? Come smell me!!

"The Divatologist Perfume Application Method" is now available!!! Learn It, Live It, Love It Click Here! Many Compliments Await You!

www.twitter.com/Divatologist www.divatologist.tumblr.com

ditto to those not getting any significant leather notes, certainly not leather in the naughty *whip crack* kind, or the saddle type, or the gentleman's library type (see CB I Hate Perfume: In the Libraray for that) or even the Hermes Kelly Bag leather type of leather. It has something masculine going on underneath that is not floral. but I have neither the nose to identify nor the ability to articulate what it is.

I loved it. wish the juice weren't pink, but agree with mikeperez that the bottle is fabu.
    Last edited by MiaKulpa; 7th November 2007 at 12:39 PM.

Please visit SalonAesthetica.com (undergoing redecorating, but still open for business and will be motoring along soon)

Quote Originally Posted by Sestra View Post
    Kelly Caleche smells like Beelzeebub's urine to me...

Basenotes Institution

I wore it to the gym this morning and this stuff really lasts - in the vein of Terre d'Hermes (another Hermes / Jean Claude Ellena creation). I too (like divatologist) have to scrub it off if I want to reapply another scent.

I also have read many similarities to this scent and In Love Again by Yves St. Laurent - although I've never smelled ILA, this doesn't surprise me since JC Ellena did ILA.
    "The beginning of freedom is the realization that you are not the "thinker." The moment you start watching the thinker, a higher level of consciousness becomes activated. You then begin to realize that there is a vast realm of intelligence beyond thought, that thought is only a tiny aspect of that intelligence. You also realize that all the things that truly matter - beauty, love, creativity, joy, inner peace - arise from beyond the mind.

You begin to awaken"

-- Eckhart Tolle

I went shopping last weekend with the full intention of purchasing Kelly Caleche. I doused myself with it thinking I would wear it around a while and let my friends give me one last critique before I purchased it. I got overwhelmingly nauseated! WTF, I would swear i was pregnant if I did not know it is anatomically impossible for me to be pregnant! i am hoping this was just a hormonal day....I will be trying again because I love KC before!