Code of Conduct

Default Every Done a Total 180-Degrees on a Frag?

I have done a complete 180 on Yardley Gentleman. Over a year ago, I gave it a "thumbs down" review and said some not very kind things that at the time, and for many months thereafter, I believed in good faith to be true. Somehow, I have changed, I am sure the juice hasn't. Yet now, applied most judiciously, it is wonderful. Yes, fruit flavors in mens' fragrances never appealed to me much, but this slight grapefruit thing with Autumn spices and lavendar is now something to hold in awe and wonderment. Not a signature for me yet, not displacing Chevalier D'Orsay or anthing, But now, in the regular rotation. Out of the drawer of neglect, into the light of day. Wow, what a 180!

Have you experienced anything similar?

Joe
    Last edited by Joe_Frances; 17th August 2007 at 01:59 AM. Reason: correction of element

Default Re: Every Done a Total 180-Degrees on a Frag?

hmmm i think we had a thread on this awhile ago... yeah i definitely had some 180 degree turns... dior addict was the most noticeable i think - used to hate the stuff but now i think im addicted

theres also a lot of scents that i hated the first time and now im like yeah they arent really that bad i spose... hoping they will grow on me

Yes, with both Mitsouko and Bandit.
    Both initially repulsed me, now they are both scents that I crave and love.
    "Like a lobster with a pearl in its claw, the beet held the jasmine firmly without crushing or obscuring it. Beet lifted jasmine, the way a bullnecked partner lifts a ballerina, and the pair came on stage on citron's fluty cue. As if jasmine were a collection of beautiful paintings, beet hung it in the galleries of the nose, insured it against fire or theft, threw a party to celebrate it. Citron mailed the invitations." Jitterbug Perfume by Tom Robbins p. 189

What I am loving right now: Shalimar vintage extrait, Chanel Bois des Iles, Chanel no. 22, Le Labo Iris 39, Guerlain Iris Ganache

Kors by Michael Kors was beyond disgusting to me at first, now I love it!

same story with me and F.M. French Lover

I didn't think Geir was anything special until I forced myself to wear it more. My opinion changed after a week.

I now like.. Caron PuH / B*Men

I now dislike.... Pino Silvestre

My signature scent Jicky. I loved it for countless years but recently I can't bear to smell it any longer. Not on myself and not on anyone else.
    The bird of paradise alights only upon the hand that does not grasp

I didn't dislike Bois du Portugal when I first got a sample, but I did think: "How in the hell could anyone wear this?!"

It took one wearing for me to answer that question!
    Now I have a flacon
    Lately I've been wearing:
    Windsor, Bois de Santal, Original Santal, Elixir, Douro, Endymion, Reflection, Arcus, Marwah

Don't know what I said a year ago in a similar thread (and there was one), but today I'd have to say that my most recent "180 degree frag" would be Viking by Royal Copenhagen.

I tried on this "cheapie" about a year ago and HATED it. Anyway, I wore it out the other night and got TONS of compliments on it. Same thing happened the next night in a very different venue, and with a very different crowd. That said, I still don't care for Viking all that much. In fact, I think it's cheap smelling, but, that said, I'll wear just about ANYTHING that gets me THAT many compliments from two totally different crowds twice in one week. (Hey, I'm a flattery whore -- what more can I say?)

Also, have to mention Scent Intense in this thread. Loved it out of the bottle; couldn't wait to try it on. I hated it on my skin, though -- absolutely UNBEARABLE.
    Last edited by tvlampboy; 23rd September 2007 at 06:07 PM.

Peggy: "Right now, we have to get to the mental institution. Something terrible has happened."
    Latrelle: "What?"
    Peggy: "Brother Boy has tried to kill himself. He jumped out of his bedroom window."
    Latrelle: "Isn't he only on the second floor?"
    Peggy: "Yes, but he hit his head on a lawn gnome."
    Fr. Sordid Lives: The Series
    "Live, live, live! Life is a banquet, and most poor suckers are starving to death."
    Auntie Mame
    [/B]

I hated, but now love: Kouros, Fleur du Male, Le Male.

I loved, but now hate: Bvlgari pour Homme, Bvlgari BLV Pour Homme, Bvlgari Aqva Pour Homme (see a pattern?), Habit Rouge, L'Instant de Guerlain Pour Homme (ruined by a former classmate), YSL Live Jazz.
    Top 5 for Fall:
    1) Straight to Heaven - By Kilian
    2) New York - Nicolai
    3) Terre d'Hermes
    4) Aventus - Creed
    5)
    Flower of Immortality - By Kilian
    My mission statement: "I am not afraid to keep on living - I am not afraid to walk this world alone."

Definitely had it with Kouros, Giorgio BH, Nino Cerruti and Tuscany. Now I like them very much. Sometimes what wierd for us at that moment doesn't mean that it is discusting or else.

I think a flickering Love - Hate relationship with scents is extremely common. A particular emotion for any fragrance is a function of several elements that are constantly fluctuating as a result of which one's perception of any fragrance is far from static.

As on date:

I Hate ONE MAN SHOW and i remember i LOVED IT ONCE

I LOVE KOUROS NOW (drydown is heavenly) and i remember the first time i squirted it I TOLD MYSELF, why would anyone want to smell like a 'Urinal Cake'

OLD HATRED & CURRENT LOVE

Platinum Egoiste
    Amen
    Bmen

but i know, things will change again.

gupts

I started out liking Terre & D&G PH and quickly began to dread wearing them - changing of the seasons may have been a factor.

On a more positive note, Bois du Portugal & Pomegranate Noir turned around my initial lukewarm first impressions - I wear them both a lot now.

Best regards,
    Mike

Off-Scenter

I've pulled this same stunt a million times. Let's see, there's:

Muscs Koublai Khan
    Iris Bleu Gris
    Santal Noble
    Black Aoud
    Ambre Sultan...

Sometimes my change of mind reflects a change of mood (Muscs Kublai Khan, Ambre Sultan), sometimes greater familiarity (Black Aoud, Iris Bleu Gris), and sometimes different testing conditions - paricularly weather (Santal Noble). I reserve the right to be fickle!
    Last edited by Off-Scenter; 23rd September 2007 at 05:19 PM.

HM by hanae mori.

i generally hate gourmands (A*Men @ top of the list) and initially was shocked and put off by the sensory overload blast from HM.

i now love it. of course, goes without saying that this is not an everyday type of perfume. it makes a statement.

Basenotes Institution

Noir Epices by Frederic Malle

Hated it when I first give it a full wearing. The second time, I finally 'got it'. Love it now...I just can't afford a full bottle yet!
    Last edited by mikeperez23; 23rd September 2007 at 05:11 PM.

I've done this with Body Kouros. To begin with,too sweet and linear. A few more wearings and differing application technique = a keeper.

Riverside Drive by Bond No. 9 NYC... I used to think it smelled like Curve but now I really love it and can barely remember how that initial reaction came to mind. On the other hand I used to be head over heals for Bulgari Black and now I just think it's so-so.

Sigh.

CSP Barbier des Iles and I are still friends, but the flame has gone out.
    Spray it, don’t say it…
    WARDROBE

Post Re: Every Done a Total 180-Degrees on a Frag?

180 degrees? Easy! I've done 360.

At first sniff I fell in love with LV Musk, only to find it too sweet and powdery later on, unwearable really. I didn't wear it at all for a long time. I don't know what happened, but now I enjoy every wear like I did the first time.

I really didnt like Tabarome millesime when I first got the bottle, then I started liking it ALOT, now I just kinda wear it as my regular daily cologne when I dont feel like challenging other people with my spicier selections. thats something like a 270 ?

Hated Lalique Equus first time I smelled it, then really started liking it after a few wearings... now I think its pretty good but not incredible

The first time I sniffed Envy in a perfume shop I thought, yech, way too sweet. Now it's my favorite. Sometimes I wonder whether old, spoiled testers in shops are (are least partly) responsible for this phenomenon - especially here in largely un-air-conditioned Austria.
    Last edited by ebear; 25th September 2007 at 09:05 PM.
    For swap/sale: Dior Leather Oud, Pure Malt, Floris Vetiver, Vintage Tiffany, Charriol Royal Leather, Dior Homme; Dior Homme Intense, Chanel PMC, M7 gel, Roma (women's), Spicebomb, Trussardi Uomo, Obsession, others...
    http://tiny.cc/rd8ptw
    (swaps)
    http://tinyurl.com/a7qoley
    (sales)

Default Re: Every Done a Total 180 Degrees on a Frag?

Tabu -- used to HATE it with a purple passion. (Read my review sometime.) Had based my detestation of it on bad childhood memories, though, and not careful adult sampling/analysis/enjoyment.

Now I am ga-ga for it -- thanks to Basenotes I sampled it again and fell in love with this most reasonable of timeless frags. Patchouli and civet and lush florals, and all for a song -- what's NOT to like?

Not going to buy it for myself, probably, but I intend to enjoy the hell out of it on others, and out of the bottle whenever I go to the store.

Peggy: "Right now, we have to get to the mental institution. Something terrible has happened."
    Peggy: "Brother Boy has tried to kill himself. He jumped out of his bedroom window."
    "Live, live, live! Life is a banquet, and most poor suckers are starving to death."
    Auntie Mame
    [/B]

Following the preachings by The_Good_Life of Brooksfield Men I bought it blind. Tested it and thought "Yuck", smells like vinegar.

Well, after wearing it a couple times, I love it! Smells like apple vinegar, lol. Serious, it is a great, fresh refined smell. Just picked up another bottle.

So, "Thank You" The_Good_Life!
    "I have the simplest tastes. I am always satisfied with the best." - Oscar Wilde (1854-1900)

I always held Green Irish Tweed in contempt. But recently, after coming around to the quality of Creed, I bought a bottle and have loved its bracing top notes. But, to be honest, after the quickly disappearing top and the middle notes have faded, I'm left with a very workman-like base of ambergris.

MPG's Route de Vetiver -- for weeks, I thought it was a revolting, execrable thing and actually tried to use some samples as stray-cat repellent. It's still not a favorite, but I actually like it now.

Yes, RdV is a real acquired taste. It's in my permanent wardrobe, but only worn on special occasions. A dirty vetiver -- not sexy dirty, but earthy. The smell of a root cellar and must and age. Definitely a keeper, yes, but certainly an acquired taste.

Auntie Mame
    [/B]

Yep. With Angel, Mitsouko and Muscs Koublaï Khan.
    "Wovon man nicht lesen kann, darüber muss man schreiben."