Code of Conduct

Question Nasty SA at Nordstroms

I guess I don't get out much. My friend and I went to a fancy schmancy Nordstrom's the other afternoon. It started out fine, as we were approached by a SA with a spritz of the new Bulgari Amethyst, a pretty, light Iris, that after some drydown turned a bit too soapy on my friend's skin for either of our liking.

Perhaps this turned the saleswoman off. I don't understand it. But my friend later purchased a large bottle of Vera Wang Princess, which was warm, creamy vanilla and tuberose(might be wrong, that is just what I smelled) and was stunning on her.

The SA "dismissed" us after the hurrying through the purchase, I can't explain it, it was the tone of her voice, her mannerism and the fact that she said, "thank you and goodbye now, " like she was shooing us away.

Ever obsessed and not to be dissuaded, I had the presence of mind to ask for a sample of Petite Cherie. "We don't have any," she said. And then after some hesitation."I guess I could make one for you." She did, taped to a blank card , handed to me and said, 'here, can you remember the name?" When I said, "well, it WOULD be nice to write the name on the card," she tossed me a pen.

It was almost comical.
    But too bad. I will never go back there when I decide on my Annick Goutal. Aedes will probably get my sale.
    "Like a lobster with a pearl in its claw, the beet held the jasmine firmly without crushing or obscuring it. Beet lifted jasmine, the way a bullnecked partner lifts a ballerina, and the pair came on stage on citron's fluty cue. As if jasmine were a collection of beautiful paintings, beet hung it in the galleries of the nose, insured it against fire or theft, threw a party to celebrate it. Citron mailed the invitations." Jitterbug Perfume by Tom Robbins p. 189

What I am loving right now: Shalimar vintage extrait, Chanel Bois des Iles, Chanel no. 22, Le Labo Iris 39, Guerlain Iris Ganache

Default Re: Nasty SA at Nordstroms

Wow that is something. Usually they are so nice in Nordstrom. I have a frag buddy in each one in my area. They are always sending me samples and letting me know when they are going to get new frags. Most of the other SA's know me too. I always get one good buddy in the frag department of Nordstrom & Neimans. Those are the 2 stores that I get most of my perfume from.

You know I always smell the Annick Goutals, but I can never make my mind up either.
    Diva is fartin in your perfume mist before you walk through it!! Walk slow and let it marinate......

Divatologist....Breaking perfume rules since 1969
    I smells goooooooooooood! Don't believe me? Come smell me!!

"The Divatologist Perfume Application Method" is now available!!! Learn It, Live It, Love It Click Here! Many Compliments Await You!

www.twitter.com/Divatologist www.divatologist.tumblr.com

DON'T DRINK AND DRESS

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by rtamara41 View Post
    I guess I don't get out much. My friend and I went to a fancy schmancy Nordstrom's the other afternoon. It started out fine, as we were approached by a SA with a spritz of the new Bulgari Amethyst, a pretty, light Iris, that after some drydown turned a bit too soapy on my friend's skin for either of our liking.

Perhaps this turned the saleswoman off. I don't understand it. But my friend later purchased a large bottle of Vera Wang Princess, which was warm, creamy vanilla and tuberose(might be wrong, that is just what I smelled) and was stunning on her.

The SA "dismissed" us after the hurrying through the purchase, I can't explain it, it was the tone of her voice, her mannerism and the fact that she said, "thank you and goodbye now, " like she was shooing us away.

Ever obsessed and not to be dissuaded, I had the presence of mind to ask for a sample of Petite Cherie. "We don't have any," she said. And then after some hesitation."I guess I could make one for you." She did, taped to a blank card , handed to me and said, 'here, can you remember the name?" When I said, "well, it WOULD be nice to write the name on the card," she tossed me a pen.

It was almost comical.
    But too bad. I will never go back there when I decide on my Annick Goutal. Aedes will probably get my sale.
    These are the types of warm and wonderful customer-SA stories that both store managers and CEO's of the company love to read, especially knowing they are in posted in public forums. I suggest a copy to both?
    Our job is to live joyfully in this world of sorrows--Joseph Campbell

i've actually had my fair share of nasty SA encounters at the nordstrom store at tysons corner (outside dc). so much so, that i've complained to the store manager and the cosmetics manager both. there are two SAs at this store in particular who are awful - very rude, and get mad when you don't make a purchase.

one time, a friend of mine was taking back a bottle of hanae mori magical moon that she had JUST purchased a few days before - complete in it's original packaging, original nordstrom bag, and receipt. after smelling around, my friend just decided to exchange for a large bottoe of classique edp (which was more expensive). of course the lady "helping" us happened to be one of the said nasty SAs. she tried to convince us to keep the magical moon and then also by the classique. when we told her we'd rather just exchange, she rolled her eyes and just left. like, literally just got pissy and walked away... we had to go over to one of the makeup counters to make the exchange.

i would like to say maybe she was having a bad day or something in that particular instance, but every time i go in that store, she's always having a "bad day" and has the same sour and offensive attitude.

it's a shame because typically the other nordstrom stores in the area here have great SAs but are smaller stores and don't carry as much at the one at tysons corner. it's also a shame because the store in question here does actually have a 1 or 2 great SAs that are never there when i go in!
    Last edited by richyac; 17th August 2007 at 01:49 PM.
    "Yo soy un hombre sincero de donde crece la palma, y antes de morirme, quiero echar mis versos del alma."

José Martí

This story reminds me of an experience at the Annick Goutal counter at Selfridges a couple of weeks ago. Here was this really matronly, grumpy woman, SLAMMING down bottles of precious AG whilst rearranging and 'cleaning' the countertop! And when she saw me standing there trying to look at what was available, she did even more shuffling and slamming of bottles.

I have to admit, I stood there and unabashedly laughed in her face. Because seriously? She clearly needed to take a break, and slamming bottles of AG in front of customers? Too comical!
    Facebook group: Perfume Lovers in Singapore, Unite! (You don't have to be in Singapore to join.)

I like kbe's suggestion.
    Send a copy of the forum post to her supervisor. BUSTED!
    However, I think that management is often part of the problem.
    Some stores have quotas and punishments for not meeting them.
    I heard that some stores make salespeople attend "remedial" meetings if they fail to sell, and then fire them for further infractions. Terrible pressure for a low-control, low-paying job.

You know the Nordstrom at Pentagon City has a great selection too. I haven't been to that one in years though. I would always go to Janet. She still sends me cards. I love Tysons Corner. I shop there all the time. This is the reason why I always get a perfume buddy in my favorite stores. I get their name and I always call them to see if they are working on the day I plan to come and shop.

The SA's at the Tysons Nordstrom are very pushy indeed. I have never purchased perfume in that particular one. When I was there, it was like a meat market. They were all over you trying to push the SOTD. I think I know exactly who you are talking about.

Nzhinga is my sales buddy at the Nordstrom in Columbia Mall. I buy most of my frags from her. Helena is my buddy at Tysons Neiman Marcus. Helena holds my Creed for me cause it runs out alot. Janet is my buddy at the Pentagon Nordstrom. They are all wonderful.
    Diva is fartin in your perfume mist before you walk through it!! Walk slow and let it marinate......

"The Divatologist Perfume Application Method" is now available!!! Learn It, Live It, Love It Click Here! Many Compliments Await You!

Quote Originally Posted by purplebird7 View Post
    However, I think that management is often part of the problem.
    Some stores have quotas and punishments for not meeting them.
    I heard that some stores make salespeople attend "remedial" meetings if they fail to sell, and then fire them for further infractions. Terrible pressure for a low-control, low-paying job.
    I agree. I do feel bad for them to have to deal with these sorts of pressures, both from higher up, and from customers, too.
    Facebook group: Perfume Lovers in Singapore, Unite! (You don't have to be in Singapore to join.)

Quote Originally Posted by Divatologist View Post
    You know the Nordstrom at Pentagon City has a great selection too. I haven't been to that one in years though. I would always go to Janet. She still sends me cards. I love Tysons Corner. I shop there all the time. This is the reason why I always get a perfume buddy in my favorite stores. I get their name and I always call them to see if they are working on the day I plan to come and shop.

The SA's at the Tysons Nordstrom are very pushy indeed. I have never purchased perfume in that particular one. When I was there, it was like a meat market. They were all over you trying to push the SOTD. I think I know exactly who you are talking about.

Nzhinga is my sales buddy at the Nordstrom in Columbia Mall. I buy most of my frags from her. Helena is my buddy at Tysons Neiman Marcus. Helena holds my Creed for me cause it runs out alot. Janet is my buddy at the Pentagon Nordstrom. They are all wonderful.
    yay for a fellow marylander!!. but yah, i totally agree that pentagon city has an equal if not better selection than the tysons corner store... they carry acqua di parma and miller harris. senka (sp?) is my fave there! at tysons i'm loving ilse (also sp?) - she's the cute older german lady with blonde hair but she's only there like 2 days a week i think. patty is my girl at the columbia store.
    "Yo soy un hombre sincero de donde crece la palma, y antes de morirme, quiero echar mis versos del alma."

José Martí

I couldn't agree with you more about the Tysons Nordstrom fragrance counter, although I do now have a sales buddy there, as a direct result of one of my more negative encounters there. I had posted about it on MUA back when it happened, but the short version is that I asked an SA for a sample of JP 1000 for my mom (I didn't own the EDP yet myself at that time) and he not only refused me (fine, be that way, I'll live) but insisted that I should just buy the bottle unsniffed. When I pointed out that $180 was a lot to spend on a bottle that she might not like, he got all snooty and said "well then how much are you willing to spend because we just can't help you if we don't know what you're able to afford".

Now anybody that knows me knows that I have no problem blowing big time bucks on fragrance if I love it (my Amex bill from Paris is the latest proof of that!) but that tone really pissed me off, so I told him that he could just keep his JP 1000 and I was going to go elsewhere. Then I went back and bought it from the other SA, Isaac, who had tried to help me before he asked Mr Snooty if there was something similar to JP 1000 that I could get sampled. Isaac was very sweet, and made me a bunch of samples of Chanel 19 and 22 (this was before 22 got pulled from regular stores) just because I said I liked them.

Since then, whenever I go to that Nordstrom, I buy more of their $5 atomizers from Isaac, and he always fills some of them with the various Guerlain parfums that they have on display (last time it was Vol de Nuit, Shalimar, and Mitsouko!).

So if you don't have a sales buddy at the Tysons Nordstrom, next time ask for Isaac, and stay far away from the annoying snooty older guy.

I tried to call Neiman's in ***** the other day about an exclusive Guerlain, but I got the NM in *****. When I asked how much Cuir Beluga cost the SA who answered the phone said "I have no idea what you're talking about, What IS that?", in the snootiest tone. It was funny. Another SA, who sounded embarrassed, took the phone away from him and connected me to the correct store.
    Last edited by MorganFay; 16th November 2007 at 09:56 AM.

Hey it's great to see the MD/DC/VA perfume lovers in the house. We should get a Meet & Sniff together one weekend. We can terrorize the SA's this time LOL!! We can correct them when they tell us a frag is new. They kill me with that one. We can tell them the correct notes in each perfume. I love it when they offer me the coffe beans. I always put my hand up and refuse and then say, please I'm a professional lol.

Yeah, the whole Tysons shopping area can be a bit snooty at times. That's why I like to have a buddy. There have been plenty of times that I go in the stores there and I am completely ignored. Other times I am greeted very nicely. I went to Tiffanys to get a charm for my charm bracelet. That was my bday gift to myself. Well, they left me standing at the counter forever and 2 days. Finally I just walked across to Gucci and got the charm that I wanted from them. I was so glad because it turns out the charm I wanted was on sale. Happy bday to me!!

I'm writing down these names just incase one of my buddies aren't there. Thanks guys.

I have always had great experiences with Nordstrom SA's but I do not tolerate poor customer service. One good eye rolling and I am all over the manger.

I think I may just give up on department store SA's...everytime I go they don't seem to know what perfume I'm talking about.

At least in actual perfume boutiques you feel like the SA can understand what language you're speaking!

I make a habit out of sampling at the department stores and buying online. My little way of sticking it to the Man. (oops, that's right...I am the Man, lol)

Have a great weekend all...

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by tdi View Post
    I have always had great experiences with Nordstrom SA's but I do not tolerate poor customer service. One good eye rolling and I am all over the manger.
    I'm with TDI and KBE. I never put up with bad service. If I don't get to speak with a manager, I will usually say something loud about what I was going to purchase there and will now purchase at (insert competitor's name here). I also make good friends with knowledgeable, non-pushy, and samples-friendly SA's, and make nearly all of my purchases with them. I really believe in rewarding good service!

Speaking as someone who used to BE a dept. store cosmetics/frag SA, the floor managers DO like feedback, and SA's DO get in trouble for poorly representing their stores. Nordstrom is especially proud of the customer service friendliness of their SA's, and spends money training them for it. I would talk to the cosmetics dept. manager, and if that doesn't work, leave the store and call the store manager. Make sure you have SA names and come armed with a copy of the statements made about that particular store by other BN members on this post. Who knows? Next time they might be MUCH friendlier.
    And he whose soul is flat -- the sky
    Will cave in on him by and by.

—from "Renascence" by Edna St. Vincent Millay

Blog Entries

That's terrible! Your friend ended up buying something, why wasn't that good enough for her?? Weird...

My Nordies SA's are usually very helpful. Most of them know me, lol. One of them is always SUPER helpful & I swear the man remembers every single purchase I've made there. I very rarely buy retail, but when I do it's usually from Nordies or Sephora, because their SA's are typically helpful.

Maybe your SA was having a bad day? Anyways, I echo the sentiments that you should write a letter to her superior.
    "Wait...is David Bowie really God?" - Penelope Garcia

DON'T DRINK AND DRESS

Blog Entries

Thumbs down Re: Nasty SA at Nordstroms

Quote Originally Posted by Pamplelune View Post
    I agree. I do feel bad for them to have to deal with these sorts of pressures, both from higher up, and from customers, too.
    The issue here is that the customer is the only reason that SA has that job. And part of that job is to please that customer, not piss her/him off. Bad day? Take it home, unwrap it there and not on the job, where you are being PAID to serve the customer, and share it with your SO or the dog or the fish or the wall to get it out of your system.

There is NO valid excuse for a SA not treating each and every customer (one who don't abuse the SA) as the ONLY reason for being on the job. Period.
    Last edited by kbe; 21st August 2007 at 01:04 AM.

amazing- I thought the whole point of Nordstrom's was that the help was supposed to be super-friendly and helpful: "Nordy" in fact. That was the whole point. Otherwise you could just go to Macy's.

Quote Originally Posted by kbe View Post
    There is NO valid excuse for a SA not treating each and every customer (one who don't abuse the SA) as the ONLY reason for being on the job. Period.
    That statement really rocked me back on my heels. It struck me as a terribly cruel way to define another person's worth as a human being.

I have been blessed in many ways to work part-time at Bath & Body Works. The act of serving another person -- of putting another person's needs ahead of one's own -- is a powerful experience. Our customers could easily get some ordinary shower gel from Wal-Mart, but they choose to come to Bath & Body Works because we make them feel pampered and special. I am humbled sometimes at my ability to connect with a perfect stranger and brighten her day.

In return, I expect a high level of service when I am the customer. In a way, I feel that the work that I have done serving others' needs entitles me to receive some excellent service in my own turn. However, I have also come to appreciate how hard people work -- for minimum wage -- to serve me. I hope that they know how sincere I am when I thank them for their service.

Yet I would never presume that serving me was a person's sole reason for being. I have seen too many people with that attitude, and I cannot understand where it comes from. Do people think that abusing minimum-wage employees is one of life's little perks, a way to let off steam on little people who can't talk back?

Sometimes it is hard to give the level of customer service that you want to give. Managers can be mean-spirited and irrational. Personal problems can intrude. If I don't happen to give you 110% on a particular day, I hope that you will cut me a little slack.

Another way I find useful in getting good service from SAs, even when they're having bad days and being rude to me, is to be exceedlingly polite and pleasant towards them. Not in a doormat-like manner, but in a kind and sympathetic manner - by acknowledging that they are human beings too, and as all human beings who work hard for their money, they are entitled to have bad days too. This is one way I have found useful in having SAs remember me, and providing me with good service upon future visits.

kbe, have you worked customer service jobs before?
    Last edited by Pamplelune; 21st August 2007 at 08:49 PM.

I had that experience at the Chicago Nordstroms. I was heading to a White Sox game afterwards and was dressed as such. I went in ready to pick up two MPGs and had a little extra money to burn in my pocket as well. The people there were completely uninterested in me and were treating me as if I had leprosy. When I finally found someone to help me, they actually had to nerve to tell me that MPG might not be what I was looking for and then suggested I try the "Brand New" Cristobal fragrance. When I told them that this was not new, in fact I had owned it for 2 years. They stuttered and then tried to run me through the fragrances that they were repping. It was rediculous. After they tried to lie to me about 2 other fragrances I explained to them that they were either wrong or lying about what they were trying to push on me. When I mentioned that I was associated a bit with this website and that I'd be more than happy to let everyone know how I was being treated, only then did they even try to treat me with even an ounce of respect. As a result, that ended my shopping days at Nordstroms. That being said the ones in the suburbs of Chicago have excellent customer service. Seems like the "full service" counters are the ones with issues.

DON'T DRINK AND DRESS

Blog Entries

Originally Posted by kbe
    There is NO valid excuse for a SA not treating each and every customer (one who don't abuse the SA) as the ONLY reason for being on the job. Period. .
    Quote Originally Posted by Advocate View Post
    That statement really rocked me back on my heels. It struck me as a terribly cruel way to define another person's worth as a human being.

I have been blessed in many ways to work part-time at Bath & Body Works. The act of serving another person -- of putting another person's needs ahead of one's own -- is a powerful experience. Our customers could easily get some ordinary shower gel from Wal-Mart, but they choose to come to Bath & Body Works because we make them feel pampered and special. I am humbled sometimes at my ability to connect with a perfect stranger and brighten her day.

In return, I expect a high level of service when I am the customer. In a way, I feel that the work that I have done serving others' needs entitles me to receive some excellent service in my own turn. However, I have also come to appreciate how hard people work -- for minimum wage -- to serve me. I hope that they know how sincere I am when I thank them for their service.

Yet I would never presume that serving me was a person's sole reason for being. I have seen too many people with that attitude, and I cannot understand where it comes from. Do people think that abusing minimum-wage employees is one of life's little perks, a way to let off steam on little people who can't talk back?

Sometimes it is hard to give the level of customer service that you want to give. Managers can be mean-spirited and irrational. Personal problems can intrude. If I don't happen to give you 110% on a particular day, I hope that you will cut me a little slack.
    "That statement really rocked me back on my heels. It struck me as a terribly cruel way to define another person's worth as a human being." -Advocate

Perhaps back on your heels is the necessary position for you to see the reality of the situation described as the problem in the opening post of this thread.

That is quite a different statement than the one I made Advocate, and quite different than I believe a reasonable person would consider my words to indicate.

No, I don't judge a persons "worth as a being" based on their failure to fulfill obligations of employment, as you indicate I do. What I do is expect to be treated with respect and a semblance of professionalism by a SA rather than an object to take out personal or work problems on. We all have personal/work problems. I entered that store to spend money on goods, not to suffer a ration of crap from anyone for no good reason. Our task is to rise above personal problems when dealing with customers in the marketplace or suffer the consequences of our actions, whatever that may be. When that boundary is breached by either side in a customer/salesperson relationship it should be addressed.

I have worked as a salesman, short order cook, soda fountain server, drive-in restaurant waiter and several other jobs that required self control in dealing with the public. What I kept in mind was that the ONLY reason I had that job was to SERVE THE CUSTOMER. It is not unreasonable to expect others to act in a similar manor. If I failed to do that because of personal/work related problems and dumped on the customer in such a way that he/she left with a bad feeling about their treatment, well then shame on me. Had that happened I should have been corrected by the customer, management or my own sense of how I should have acted as a representative of the business I was being paid to represent.

Would that SA act/talk exactly that way to a customer if the store manager or company. CEO was standing next to him/her and watching? If so, then that SA should be reprimanded or, if it is one of a series of such events, fired. If not, then the SA should not act that way at all.

I didn't say I wouldn't cut a SA some slack if one acted that way toward me. What I said was, and I quote:

"There is NO valid excuse for a SA not treating each and every customer (ones who don't abuse the SA) as the ONLY reason for being on the job. Period."

Please note: again, I am not judging that persons worth as a being, just their behavior as one.

I stand by that statement 100%. While there are excuses offered for such behavior, there is no valid excuse, unless you have one you would like to enlighten us with.
    Last edited by kbe; 23rd August 2007 at 01:30 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul G View Post
    I had that experience at the Chicago Nordstroms. I was heading to a White Sox game afterwards and was dressed as such. I went in ready to pick up two MPGs and had a little extra money to burn in my pocket as well. The people there were completely uninterested in me and were treating me as if I had leprosy. When I finally found someone to help me, they actually had to nerve to tell me that MPG might not be what I was looking for and then suggested I try the "Brand New" Cristobal fragrance. When I told them that this was not new, in fact I had owned it for 2 years. They stuttered and then tried to run me through the fragrances that they were repping. It was rediculous. After they tried to lie to me about 2 other fragrances I explained to them that they were either wrong or lying about what they were trying to push on me. When I mentioned that I was associated a bit with this website and that I'd be more than happy to let everyone know how I was being treated, only then did they even try to treat me with even an ounce of respect. As a result, that ended my shopping days at Nordstroms. That being said the ones in the suburbs of Chicago have excellent customer service. Seems like the "full service" counters are the ones with issues.
    That's terrible. As a fellow Chicagoan, I have had some terrible experiences with SA's in the city, and yes, it's usually MUCH better in the suburbs. I once went into the Neiman Marcus on Michigan Avenue, and was almost completely avoided, even though I was the only person standing at the counter! I was then talked down to when I asked to sample some of the Annick Goutal fragrances. I was instead shown Quelques Flores or whatever it is (not what I'd asked to see). It was ridiculous. The lady acted like she OWNED Neiman Marcus or something. But that said, the Neiman Marcus in Northbrook has a couple of the best SA's I've ever had the opportunity to work with. Highly recommended. I have also had fairly good experiences at Nordstrom Skokie, although most of the SA's seem rushed.

But alas, no one compares in customer service to the late great Marshall Field's. Sigh. (Can you tell I'm a former MF employee?)
    And he whose soul is flat -- the sky
    Will cave in on him by and by.

—from "Renascence" by Edna St. Vincent Millay

Thats too bad rtamara41!
    Bvlgari fragrances are under the same company 'umbrella' as BPI (Beauty Prestige International) and Parfums Very Wang is (I think), Unilever.

See my posts on Pg2 of this thread which may shed some light on your horrible experience:

http://www.basenotespro.com/comm/sho...d.php?t=197450

Looks like you got a doozy that day...

D.
    Last edited by Sorcery of Scent; 22nd August 2007 at 06:43 AM. Reason: typo

Being a SA of sorts (supervisor), I have been watching this thread with interest. This particular SA could have done better than that, for sure. But.... In my opinion, every single person should try working in retail at least three days in their lives -- and I am not sure if everyone can survive more -- often times business are run on a skeleton crew with five hundred and one things going on at the same time, and we are being treated as doormats by many a customer with that sense of entitlement, like someone owes them something. How many times I have been looked down at? (My foreign accent is viewed as a sign of mental incapacity on a daily basis.) Well, I personally treat everyone -- people I work with as well as customers -- as human beings, but honestly it is not always very easy.

i have definitely worked in retail before, so i know exactly how hard it is. on the other hand, that is why they are getting PAID - they are being compensated for attending to the customers, regardless of how demanding the customer can be. that being said, there is definitely a respect issue - the SAs treat customers with respect, and vice versa. and there are probably customers who DO treat SAs like doormats. i personally am not one of them BECAUSE i know what it's like to be on the other side of the counter. however, i don't think any the previous posts in this thread involved a customer (basenoter) crossing that line. i really think that there are just some nasty SAs out there, plain and simple. just go to the tyson's corner nordstrom - they'll be there.

José Martí

Sometimes i think some SA don't remember me...i was the other day at one store i have been in the past and the same SA that i got last time was right there in front of me offering me the same scent(s) i bought the last time i was there.

Quote Originally Posted by kbe View Post
    Perhaps back on your heels is the necessary position for you to see the reality of the situation described as the problem in the opening post of this thread.

That is quite a different statement than the one I made Advocate, and quite different than I believe a reasonable person would consider my words to indicate.

No, I don't judge a persons "worth as a being" based on their failure to fulfill obligations of employment, as you indicate I do.

. . .

I have worked as a salesman, short order cook, soda fountain server, drive-in restaurant waiter and several other jobs that required self control in dealing with the public. What I kept in mind was that the ONLY reason I had that job was to SERVE THE CUSTOMER. It is not unreasonable to expect others to act in a similar manor. If I failed to do that because of personal/work related problems and dumped on the customer in such a way that he/she left with a bad feeling about their treatment, well then shame on me. Had that happened I should have been corrected by the customer, management or my own sense of how I should have acted as a representative of the business I was being paid to represent.

. . .

I didn't say I wouldn't cut a SA some slack if one acted that way toward me. What I said was, and I quote:

"There is NO valid excuse for a SA not treating each and every customer (one who don't abuse the SA) as the ONLY reason for being on the job. Period."

. . .

I stand by that statement 100%. While there are excuses offered for such behavior, there is no valid excuse, unless you have one you would like to enlighten us with.
    If I believed that I had never failed to exceed every customer's expectations, then I suppose that I would hold those around me to an inflexible standard of perfection, too. I suppose that I would even be filled with righteous indignation if someone failed to provide me with the flawless service that I certainly would believe that I deserved.

However, I understand that I have fallen short -- sometimes unintentionally. Sometimes I do not even realize it until long after the fact. So when I am the customer, and someone does not step and fetch it quite fast enough for me, I try to account for that.

It is certainly true that retail businesses employ people to help the customer. However, it is also certainly true that people are imperfect creatures, who may be tired, or anxious, or simply having a bad day. I submit that it is cruel to hold them to an inflexible standard of perfection.

This thread has gotten very interesting. I think that every person be they a neurosurgeon or the french fry maker at McDonalds owes it to the public to be the best they can be at their job....to give their 100% . I am and ICU nurse and believe me, I get to work with the public every day and I get treated some days like I'm a waitress or slave at best. Many people appreciate the fact that they have hot french fries more than they appreciate that I may have kept them or their family member alive that day. Every one has a bad day at work now and then but in my opinion it is never acceptable to act like you are having one. I don't think anyone wants to be lying in my ICU thinking I am having a bad day and trying to take care of them. I in return expect the same courtesy when I am the consumer and no one is ever going to convince me that it is asking too much of someone who deals with the public.

DON'T DRINK AND DRESS

Blog Entries

This thread has gotten very interesting. I think that every person be they a neurosurgeon or the french fry maker at McDonalds owes it to the public to be the best they can be at their job....to give their 100% . I am and ICU nurse and believe me, I get to work with the public every day and I get treated some days like I'm a waitress or slave at best. Many people appreciate the fact that they have hot french fries more than they appreciate that I may have kept them or their family member alive that day. Every one has a bad day at work now and then but in my opinion it is never acceptable to act like you are having one. I don't think anyone wants to be lying in my ICU thinking I am having a bad day and trying to take care of them. I in return expect the same courtesy when I am the consumer and no one is ever going to convince me that it is asking too much of someone who deals with the public.
    Amen.

I think that every person be they a neurosurgeon or the french fry maker at McDonalds owes it to the public to be the best they can be at their job....to give their 100% . I am and ICU nurse and believe me, I get to work with the public every day and I get treated some days like I'm a waitress or slave at best. Many people appreciate the fact that they have hot french fries more than they appreciate that I may have kept them or their family member alive that day. Every one has a bad day at work now and then but in my opinion it is never acceptable to act like you are having one. I don't think anyone wants to be lying in my ICU thinking I am having a bad day and trying to take care of them. I in return expect the same courtesy when I am the consumer and no one is ever going to convince me that it is asking too much of someone who deals with the public.
    If you are saying that everyone should try to do his or her best job, then I agree with you wholeheartedly. That is what I do all day, every day. If I fall short of my best on some occasion, and you happen to be that customer, I hope that you will see the earnestness of my intentions. Is that fair?

However, I would not hold every profession to the same standard. If a neurosurgeon makes a mistake, someone dies. If a store associate makes a mistake, someone doesn't get the perfume that he or she wants. Part of the reason that neurosurgeons make so much more money than store associates is because we hold neurosurgeons to a very high standard.

Quote Originally Posted by Advocate View Post
    If you are saying that everyone should try to do his or her best job, then I agree with you wholeheartedly. That is what I do all day, every day. If I fall short of my best on some occasion, and you happen to be that customer, I hope that you will see the earnestness of my intentions. Is that fair?

However, I would not hold every profession to the same standard. If a neurosurgeon makes a mistake, someone dies. If a store associate makes a mistake, someone doesn't get the perfume that he or she wants. Part of the reason that neurosurgeons make so much more money than store associates is because we hold neurosurgeons to a very high standard.
    I guess we are going to have to agree to disagree. What I was saying is I expect of others no less than I expect of myself. I take pride in my work and professionalism and I think that no matter what you do that should be the case. I tell my children I don't care if they srcub toilets for a living , they better be the best toilet scrubber. This is not about how much money some one makes it is about having a work ethic. For example I have a horrible temper and I can be very mouthy. None of my co workers (except my best friend )know this because I have never allowed myself the self indulgence of acting like an ass at work. Everyone should be held to the same standard, and that is to strive for excellence. Some days we are closer to doing an excellent job than others. It is the pursuit of excellence that counts and that people see and judge us on. Oh, and by the way, neurosurgeons make as much money as they do for the same reason Bill Gates does...supply and demand of their product not the standard we hold them to. Enough said.

I guess we are going to have to agree to disagree.

. . .

Everyone should be held to the same standard, and that is to strive for excellence. Some days we are closer to doing an excellent job than others. It is the pursuit of excellence that counts and that people see and judge us on.
    I do not think that we disagree at all on the main point. You and I both believe that everyone should "strive for excellence," and we both agree that "[s]ome days we are closer to doing an excellent job than others." I think that is all that we can expect of other people.

Quote Originally Posted by richyac View Post
    yay for a fellow marylander!!. but yah, i totally agree that pentagon city has an equal if not better selection than the tysons corner store... they carry acqua di parma and miller harris. senka (sp?) is my fave there! at tysons i'm loving ilse (also sp?) - she's the cute older german lady with blonde hair but she's only there like 2 days a week i think. patty is my girl at the columbia store.

OMG I had to bring this back because I told Ilse that her name was mentioned here as one of the favorite SA's and she was sooooo excited. I bought my Kelly Caleche from her today. I told her that we were talking about nasty SA's, but that she was named as one of the better ones to go to. She said that she couldn't wait to tell her husband that she was good at something lol!! She didn't know that there was such a place to discuss perfume. I told her that she is famous now lol.

haha go ahead diva! yah, ilse is sooo cute and my fave at the tyson's store! oh, and i'm loving the kelly caleche, you'll have to tell me how that works out. next time i plan on making a retail purchase i'll be sure to stop in to the tyson's nordstrom and buy exclusively from her!

just goes to show for every 10 crappy SAs, there's one amazing one that i wouldn't mind going out of my way to do business with!

José Martí

My buddy Isaac has left the Tysons Nordstrom for the Pentagon City store, but the lady who took care of me yesterday was fabulous. (I wonder if it was Ilse? I don't recall her name but she was older and had an accent that seemed German in retrospect.) I bought the reissued Givenchy Le De and she gave (gave!) me one of their $7 atomizers filled up with more Le De from the tester "so I would have some to carry in my purse" with me. You could have knocked me over with a feather, I was so surprised and pleased!

She is the tall slender lady with blonde hair cut in a bob. She gave me that sample today as well.

She is a smart SA, she knows the rule of reciprocity.