Code of Conduct
Results 1 to 16 of 16
  1. #1

    Default Putain de Palaces

    Am intrigued by the rave reviews on MUA, and also, the name.

    I'm generally averse to animal notes, and PdP lists 'animal notes.' I didn't like Jolie Madame, found it quite unwearable really, because of the civet and castoreum.

    Would I like Putain de Palaces?

    Also, what else is good in this line? (Etat Libre d'Orange)

    Thanks in advance!
    Facebook group: Perfume Lovers in Singapore, Unite! (You don't have to be in Singapore to join.)

  2. #2

    Default Re: Putain de Palaces

    I recently threw down the cash for a complete sample set of all the Etat Libre d'Orange scents and took a few notes as I sampled them.

    This is what I wrote down:

    "Powdery, flowery, in an aggressive way. Very feminine. It veers between smelling as cheap as its name to something more complex and elegant. It's Youth Dew's floral, cheap, slutty sister."

    Don't know if that helps but I hope it's of interest. I don't seem to the one of the lucky ones that can decoct a fragrance.
    Life is a banquet...and I got botulism! -- Me

  3. #3

    TaoLady's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Coastal South Carolina
    Posts
    6,026

    Default Re: Putain de Palaces

    The Devil, you say!!

    I ordered samples too - a way back. And fell in love with PdeP. A young, flirty floral that's exuberant and stays with you. I got a little bit of the merde too, not nearly to the extent of Jolie Madame (loved it once - haven't smelled it in years - am almost afraid to for fear it's gone the way of so many of my old faves) - but I like that.

    On me and to my nose it smells nothing like Youth Dew - rather, maybe, Amoureuse. Plunk down the pennies for a sample - only you can tell if you're going to like it. And let us know!!
    "The world is ruled by letting things take their course. It cannot be ruled by interfering." Lao Tze

  4. #4
    Basenotes Institution
    mikeperez23's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Miami, FL
    Posts
    26,318

    Default Re: Putain de Palaces

    Agree with Taolady - go for a sample with this line. It's a love it or hate it kind of scent (so I've heard).

    Luca Turin had a lot of good things to say about the line (BN link here: http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=197853) saying that Secretions Magnifiques was his favorite.

    I have one of the samples, I can't remember which one in my sample pile- to try one of these days...

  5. #5

    Default Re: Putain de Palaces

    I love Putain des PaLaces! this really makes you feel like a high class escort girl, daring, sultry, powdery violet and rose and hint of leather.

  6. #6

    Default Re: Putain de Palaces

    Quote Originally Posted by Aline et Valcour View Post
    I love Putain des PaLaces! this really makes you feel like a high class escort girl, daring, sultry, powdery violet and rose and hint of leather.

    That's the right idea! In case people don't know, Putain des Palaces means "Prostitute of the Palaces" - maybe a better suited translation would be Palace Courtesan or something, but that's what it means!
    CAESAR SEEKS:
    CREED: Chevrefeuille, SMW, BdP, Aventus
    Parfums d'Empire: Fougére Bengale
    YSL: Vintage M7

    CAESAR SWAPS/SELLS:
    Sale Thread



  7. #7

    Default Re: Putain de Palaces

    Quote Originally Posted by GAIVS IVLIVS CAESAR View Post
    That's the right idea! In case people don't know, Putain des Palaces means "Prostitute of the Palaces" - maybe a better suited translation would be Palace Courtesan or something, but that's what it means!
    actually Putain means whore in french, Etat Libre d 'Orange went all the way in this

  8. #8

    Default Re: Putain de Palaces

    Quote Originally Posted by Aline et Valcour View Post
    actually Putain means whore in french, Etat Libre d 'Orange went all the way in this
    What's the difference between whore and prostitute? I guess whore is more vulgar?
    CAESAR SEEKS:
    CREED: Chevrefeuille, SMW, BdP, Aventus
    Parfums d'Empire: Fougére Bengale
    YSL: Vintage M7

    CAESAR SWAPS/SELLS:
    Sale Thread



  9. #9

    Default Re: Putain de Palaces

    Quote Originally Posted by GAIVS IVLIVS CAESAR View Post
    What's the difference between whore and prostitute? I guess whore is more vulgar?
    there are various ways to convey prostitute of course, ELO chose the vulgarization as a statement.
    Last edited by Moderator; 1st September 2007 at 09:06 AM. Reason: 2.11 No vulgar, obscene or indecent language, information or images.

  10. #10

    Default Re: Putain de Palaces

    That's funny, because in my experience Putain has always been really rude and vulgar, but since it was in the title of this perfume it made me think it must be one of those words that you can use in a more dignified way (i.e. courtesan) - but I guess they really meant Palace Whore after all!
    Last edited by Moderator; 1st September 2007 at 09:06 AM. Reason: 2.11 No vulgar, obscene or indecent language, information or images.
    CAESAR SEEKS:
    CREED: Chevrefeuille, SMW, BdP, Aventus
    Parfums d'Empire: Fougére Bengale
    YSL: Vintage M7

    CAESAR SWAPS/SELLS:
    Sale Thread



  11. #11

    Default Re: Putain de Palaces

    Quote Originally Posted by GAIVS IVLIVS CAESAR View Post
    That's funny, because in my experience Putain has always been really rude and vulgar, but since it was in the title of this perfume it made me think it must be one of those words that you can use in a more dignified way (i.e. courtesan) - but I guess they really meant Palace Whore after all!
    french is my mothertongue, Putain is vulgar but in french Pute is even one degree more extreme in vulgarity, the putain can be seen in Palaces but the Pute she does anyone, takes anything and does streetcorners. ELO 's english version site translated Hotel Slut, which is a lousy translation IMO
    Last edited by Moderator; 1st September 2007 at 09:07 AM. Reason: 2.11 No vulgar, obscene or indecent language, information or images.

  12. #12

    Default Re: Putain de Palaces

    This thread needs more civet.

  13. #13

    Default Re: Putain de Palaces

    The juice is certainly far better behaved than the buzz. I enjoyed the kinda booze-y rose note, some bubbles and a nice vanilla amber base and it lasted well on me, but I'm not going past a sample on this one.

  14. #14

    Default Re: Putain de Palaces

    Quote Originally Posted by MidnightCobaltique View Post
    This thread needs more civet.
    yup! raunchy civet and hot spice
    --------------------------------------
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyra View Post
    The juice is certainly far better behaved than the buzz. I enjoyed the kinda booze-y rose note, some bubbles and a nice vanilla amber base and it lasted well on me, but I'm not going past a sample on this one.
    remember that our Putain des Palaces is a bad girl in disguise, she looks and acts as a lady, after all she does Palaces not sleazy hotels!
    Last edited by Aline et Valcour; 31st August 2007 at 03:33 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

  15. #15

    Default Re: Putain de Palaces

    I really like Putain des Palaces, it is different from any other scents and I think that naughty name is funny.
    To bad that my hubby doesn't like the scent, that's why I won't purchase a whole bottle.

  16. #16

    Default Re: Putain de Palaces

    Thank you all for your responses! Was without internet for 2 weeks, only just read this thread now. I think I will try to get a sample of this before anything else. Oh I just love the name.

Similar Threads

  1. Leonid de Lescinski's Eau de Fleurs
    By TwoRoads in forum Perfume Bottle Collecting
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 16th May 2008, 10:46 PM
  2. Must Have Summer Scents: Eau de Rochas
    By scenteur7 in forum Male Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 21st March 2008, 06:38 PM
  3. Eau De Toilet, Eau De Cologne or Eau De Parfum
    By jbc in forum Just Starting Out
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 6th February 2008, 07:19 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •