Code of Conduct

Default Is the idea of a "signature fragrance" completely a thing of the past now?

I heard it mentioned that a lot of guys...especially in the past, have had one fragrance that they love so much and simply stick to... for years, as their sig. frag. With all the amazing and quality scents of today, is this something that you find hard to do? My personal opinion is that I do like the idea of a sig. frag. but when it comes down to it, I either find myself getting tired of it somewhat or need one or two more to wear to keep things interesting. Plus there's the fact that some scents are simply suited for different occasions and/or seasons.

Default Re: Is the idea of a "signature fragrance" completely a thing of the past now?

That's a romantic sentiment, but geez, it sure is boring when you get down to it, isn't it?

Yep, it's a thing of the past.

Reasons for doing it: 1) You are poor 2) You just don't care about scents that much
    3) Your domineering significant other won't let you wear anything else

Simplistic view, I know.

Default Re: Is the idea of a "signature fragrance" completely a thing of the past now?

While I like the idea of a signature fragrance, being really into fragrances makes it difficult. I think once my initial interest phase winds down and I stop buying decants, I'll probably stick with a selection of fragrances that will become my signature wardrobe. If one has 2-3 daily wear and 2-3 evening/occasion fragrances, that's enough of a collection to give you some sort of scent memory to others, I'd wager.

Quote Originally Posted by ChuckW View Post
    That's a romantic sentiment, but geez, it sure is boring when you get down to it, isn't it?

Reasons for doing it: 1) You are poor 2) You just don't care about scents that much

Simplistic view, I know.
    Agreed.. I had a 'signature scent' in high school and it was for those exact three reasons. I didn't have the money to buy many, didn't know that much or have a huge interest at the time, and my girlfriend then absolutely loved it (10 years later, she still tells me she thinks of me when she smells it)
    I'm a colognosaurus. Rawr!

I couldn't do it. First, it'd be so boring. Second, one scent cannot possibly be appropriate for all occasions.

Interestingly, though, I was asked just earlier, "If you wear a different fragrance every so often, then how can people remember your smell?" Considering who it was that asked me, maybe that is the *one* good reason for considering the idea of a signature fragrance...

I just told her that I have an interest in fragrances and use quite a number of them. Let's see how that shapes up, but I'm in danger of straying onto another topic altogether
    Where once there was no scents to it all, now the world opens before me!

Basenotes Institution

Here on Basenotes - 'signature' scents are pretty nonexistent.

Outside of Basenotes, yes you can still find someone (usually an older person...but this is a sweeping generalization) that still has a signature scent. Case in point: my grandmother still diligently wears Beautiful by Estee Lauder after all of these years....

I'd say the Basenotes membership doesn't do the signature fragrance thing, but they will still search for a holy grail.

I'm not sure of the female dynamic but for men it's probably the first fragrance they got a compliment on from their sweety.

As another thread recently demonstrated, most segregate by work/play and thus must have at least two. If I had to cut down to a minimal wardrobe, I'd probably be unable to go under two.

I have a signature scent.....for every month

I have a signature scent ..... but I rarely wear it.
    Last edited by dr.creed; 17th August 2007 at 05:05 PM.
    decant sales:
    Crystal Flacon

I like the idea of having one scent that is in the 'middle' of my circle of scents, then others 'around' it. I have on such 'center' perfume that everyone says 'ah, that is the smell of you' about...

I certainly agree with all of you. It's just too boring and if you're around mostly the same people, then after awhile it'll get boring to them as well. ..

I don't think it's a thing from the past at all, maybe within Basenotes it's quite an absurd notion, but in the "real world", I guess it has much more following than our crazy, neverending search.
    "It is the mark of a brave man to admit defeat, cut his loss and move on." - David Ogilvy

I wonder. That basenoters won't settle for one scewnt is obvious. Among normal people a true signature scent (not an "I don't care about perfume, so I only have one" scent)is for somebody who is inner-directed and is displaying an olfactory compliment to his persona. I think the way consumer trends have developed most people these days feel obliged/enjoy
    1. to "play" a number of social roles and adapt their clothes and perfumes to these different roles. A scent for work, clubbing, chilling, sky-diving etc.
    2. to try new perfumes regularly in order to stay hip

Of course, the may still smell the same with all the designer clones out there

So, as someone said, except among more "conservative" types, I think the concept is dead.
    My Wardrobe
    II est de forts parfums pour qui toute matière/Est poreuse. On dirait qu'ils pénètrent le verre.

Red face Re: Is the idea of a "signature fragrance" completely a thing of the past now?

Quote Originally Posted by Gus View Post
    I don't think it's a thing from the past at all, maybe within Basenotes it's quite an absurd notion, but in the "real world", I guess it has much more following than our crazy, neverending search.
    True!

But it's all comparative in the first place. The friends of Paris Hilton might wear Prada, Versace, Gucci, Gaultier and Fiorucci. You will be laughed at when being asked: "Oh, you just have one designer brand that you wear? Only Gucci? Can you not afford to wear them all?"

And so it goes with music styles, cars, speeding boats, houses, holiday vacations and so on. My telly is bigger than yours, my car has more horsepower than yours and on top of all I'm a lot more stupid than you are, but nobody says that of course .... LOL! :brolly:
    decant sales:
    Crystal Flacon

I used to...but even then I'd dabble occassionally. I like the idea of having a scent associated with me...for my other half to smell it on a pillow and to be transported, a la Proust.
    But when it comes down to it, I like variety. I don't wear the same outfit every day...I have clothes to suit my mood, my activities, the weather...so why would I wear the same scent?

DON'T DRINK AND DRESS

Blog Entries

Wink Re: Is the idea of a "signature fragrance" completely a thing of the past now?

My signature scent--Montana Parfum d'Homme--umm..wait, that's Havana For Men..ah..make that Le 3me Homme...err..I meant Creed Millesime Imperial etc.etc. etc. has caused me to seek primal olfactory scream therapy and serious handwriting analysis
    Last edited by kbe; 17th August 2007 at 09:44 PM.
    Our job is to live joyfully in this world of sorrows--Joseph Campbell

Well, I am a woman, but I will weigh in here, too, okay?
    I used to buy one bottle at a time and wear that as a "signature" scent, yes, partly because I was poor, and partly because that was what I thought you were supposed to do. That is what my mother still does.
    The other day at work I was going up the stairs and a co-worker said, I know it's you on the stairs? I said How did you know, I was halfway up, you could only see my from the waist down (Hoping they wouldn't say it was my big behind they recognized LOL) he said, You always have a beautiful perfume on and cool shoes.
    Yeah, okay, he is gay or he wouldn't have noticed my shoes, but still....
    Cool shoes and beautiful perfume? Not a bad signature, I don't guess. Doesn't always have to be the same perfume to be beautiful.

Because of the sheer volume of fragrances available today, use of one (a signature) fragrance has become less and less prevalent. As the choices increase, so does the desire to find an even more personal/unique scent. I think the existence of so many "variation on a theme" lines in the recent past also points to the fact that folks aren't buying the same thing twice. Unfortunately quantity has overtaken quality in the (mass) fragrance marketplace.

I disagree. OOOOOH!

After 25 years of enjoying fragrances one does develope a palate and approach to scents. At the same time I have weeded out, amended, and re-thought about what it is that makes my olfactory senses wake up and take note of a scent.

I am at that stage where I don't have time to keep searching for new offerings as the
    parameters really can't grow that much more. So the practicality of having 3 or 4 scents is much more appealing.

40 or more is superfluous and just plain silly.

But the search for a signature scent(s) comes from experience rather a knee-jerk reaction to a limited selection of today's meagre fumes.

I gave up on this idea quite some time ago.

My smelling of / talking about a different perfumes any time I see them has become a joke with close friends and family. They have accepted me as a 'collector'. I do not know what they have done with perfume gifts on special occasions. I never smell those on them. Some men outside BN don't wear cologne regularly. Women may have more than one and alternate these. They are usually loyal to what they have owned since I do not know when.
    'Il mondo dei profumi è un universo senza limiti: una fraganza puo rievocare sensazioni, luoghi, persone o ancora condurre in uno spazio di nuove dimensioni emozionali' L. V.

It is for me...I haven't worn one frag two days in a row in years, but i have 2 times in one week.
    But the thing is, nowadays when someone says to me: "oh, i only wear x/y frag only", i get a bit puzzled as to the reasons why they chose to do so when there's so many great stuff everywhere, but then i realize that not only everyone is different, but that i too was a one-frag guy one time or another a loooong time ago.

yeah why waste a collection like yours castorpollux? u got a sweet collection there mate

Blog Entries

I like the idea of a signature fragrance...but I, too, like the variety. Plus, I try not to wear my very favorite scents too much for fear of burning my nose out on them.

I think I do have a signature scent, though...& that's scent itself. My friends that I see all the time usually say something like "You smell good, as always."
    "Wait...is David Bowie really God?" - Penelope Garcia

I started off looking for a signature fragrance, but found that looking and testing and finding new surprises was interesting. The journey was more fun than the prospect of reaching my destination. Sometimes I still think about sticking with one fragrance, but now I know I couldn't ever pick just one.

The idea is definately still around. In fact, it's quite a nice idea, like monogamy. Look at the divorce rate. It's hovering around 50%, which is pretty ridiculous considering how much trouble it is to go through a divorce (kids, money, belongings, etc.). It is, however, not particularly difficult to divorce a fragrance, and it is much easier to sample new ones than it is to sample new women! (Well, for most of us at least). Also, fragrances don't get mad when you don't talk to them for a while or simply leave them altogether. Basically, it is way too tempting and easy to try and own multiple fragrances for the whole signature fragrance thing to be very popular. Of course I know a few people who do it, but in general, and even more so within Basenotes, it's rare.
    I do go through phases though where I will correlate certain fragrances with certain activities, so as far as some of the other people involved in those activities are concerned, I do have a signature fragrance. They'll say, "Oh, there you are with that cologne again." I'll just smile and say "which one?"
    Last edited by The_Giraffe; 20th August 2007 at 02:19 AM.

honestly it is my dream: find the definitive fragrance, the one that makes you belived the search is over.

And then?

It would be sad, don't you think?

As for all things in life you search for stilness through mouvement, and when you stop you want to start all over again.

Sorry for bad English. I did my best.

Greetings

My hope is that people come to recognize the 40 or 50 scents I wear on a regular basis as my "signature scents"
    Lately I've been wearing:
    Windsor, Bois de Santal, Original Santal, Elixir, Douro, Endymion, Reflection, Arcus, Marwah

The idea of a signature scent is alive and well only in the form of a bespoke fragrance created to your own specifications.

Part of what makes the need to find a "signature scent" so attractive (amongst those mainstream and niche brands on the market) is the belief that you, and ONLY you are the one that can identify wholly with this fragrance... but with several BILLION people on planet earth, this is unlikely!
    If youre the only person on the face of the earth wearing a tailor-made smell that you adore, (and you became recognised because of it)... then youve found the 'holy grail' of fine fragrance.
    Last edited by Sorcery of Scent; 20th August 2007 at 09:33 PM.

I have always been searching for this. The search is why I have 20 different bottles of cologne. Everytime I think I've found that signature scent, it's just not quite right. So, I guess I'll just keep looking....

My absolute favourite is Opium (f.), but it's far too special to use a lot. I like to "forget" how wonderful it is for a while. Wearing after some time makes the experience much more significant.

Besides there are lovely perfumes in most categories. Having a favourite shouln't be restrictive and make one narrow-minded.

Here is how I look at it now. I wouldn't just ONE signature but I want to parlay my new knowledge and passion for this into 4-5 of the best scents for me. I want to house clean and trade, sell, swap and buy until I have these bottle and I'm loving them all. That may take time but that is what I want.
    "As you walk down the fairway of life you must smell the roses, for you only get to play one round."
    --Ben Hogan

Morning Star

Quote Originally Posted by graffham View Post
    40 or more is superfluous and just plain silly.
    I haven't taken a full inventory yet, but I'm quite sure I have close to 40 fragrances, if I include sample vials. It makes sense, since I am often superfluous and silly.
    I don't even think I have a true favorite. I usually wake up, choose 3 or 4, and decide, "I want to smell these today." Then I rotate them throughout the day. I'm not sure if that's typical for a BNer or not.

It's probably easy for non-fragrance hobbiests, but I think it's impossible for us!

I used to try to have signature fragrance, but that changed every year on my next annaul winter Canada vacation when the first thing I would do before heading out to take my snow pictures do was to go to the department stores looking for a new fragrance to become a "better" signature fragrance.

So I finally gave all that up and built a wardrobe.

But thinking about it, I always remember people wearing a signature fragrance. But now I find that most people I come in contact with don't even wear a fragrance and when some do, they wear a few different ones. Probabaly because there are so many more to choose from today, especially in the men's segment.

Interestingly, my favorite lady always asked me why I just don't pick one and stick with it. She was always a Shalimar person, for many years. But now she gets samples of different ones and wears those, so I think that my Basenotes experience is wearing off on her!

By the way, I know it's off topic but I have the same problem with cameras. Each year I have a new signature camera that I love, but then trade it in the next year for a new signature camera (I have a great 14.6 mp Pentax K20D now!!). But unlike fragrances, I make money with the camera, so i can justify it more than with fragrances!
    Last edited by MikeFromManhattan; 12th July 2008 at 10:14 AM.

Having a signature fragrance and sticking to it, to me -- is like falling in love with an elementary sweetheart, becoming couples, growing up together, getting married, and staying with him/her for the rest of your life till the last moment in your death bed -- losing all the opportunities of meeting up with someone else.

As fairy-tale-perfect as it may sound -- that would bore me like hell.

In my lifetime, I'd like to go out and meet the different types of people this "playground" (the world) of ours has to offer. As for scents, I'd like to do the same, thank you very much.
    Last edited by moltening; 12th July 2008 at 10:23 AM.

Variety and signature fragrance have no problem walking hand in hand. As someone so nicely put it: a fragrance in center of the collection. While it's true that there are hundreds of nice fragrances today I'm still convinced that there is one or a few that fits you better than any other. Simple as that, for me.
    "- Harry, I have no idea where this will lead us, but I have a definite feeling it will be a place both wonderful and strange."

I like variety, I wear different clothes everyday and I wear different perfume if possible every day, or whatever strikes my mood. Maybe we(us basenoters) have signature notes or families instead a single perfume? And I bet even that would change as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Noalick View Post
    Variety and signature fragrance have no problem walking hand in hand. As someone so nicely put it: a fragrance in center of the collection. While it's true that there are hundreds of nice fragrances today I'm still convinced that there is one or a few that fits you better than any other. Simple as that, for me.
    I agree 100%. I try new stuff; I love having loads of decants and samples of different kinds of fragrances and to try them regularly. But there are a couple of scents which to me are more special, and they have "signature" status in the sense that, whenever I've got somewhere special to go, or whenever I need a slight boost - I know which fragrance to choose.
    A

Newbie discovering the wonderful world of perfume

Looking for; http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=210771
    and
    http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=214089

No not really. I still wear Chevalier d'Orsay and Villoresi Uomo quite often, and couldn't see myself without them.

Like a few others here, in the past I have always had a sort of "crown jewel" in the center of my small collection. I think one concept that has not been addressed is that sometimes, I simply love the smell of a certain perfume. I love it so much, that I want to wear it often. This love for the scent has lasted for years sometimes. I would say that qualifies as a signature scent, even though I always had others to wear. And, as far as getting tired or overloaded with it--for me, it seems that it has simply been changing tastes, maturity, etc., that made me look to another "center" scent.

Right now I do not have just one scent that the rest of my collection revolves around. But I would like it if I did!

Quote Originally Posted by ChuckW View Post

Simplistic view, I know.

Simplistic but true.

I have a fairly sizable collection now, just shy of 70 which gives me loads to choose from (but then there's always a few more to have...).

No sodding woman tells me what I can and can't wear. I am sick of women at the moment, they are a class A pain in the backside (my second divorce is making me very cynical). "I don't like that fragrance on you," she or others might say. "Ah well, tough. Go and sniff someone else then."

The number of times the same women who say that are wearing some ghastly celebrity fragrance which smells like it was put together by a chimp in a fragrance factory, is beyond measure. One woman told me she didn't like me wearing Colonia Asoluta, my reply was "your lack of taste is not my problem". A little harsh I know, but indicative of my intolerance of women's fetishistic need to control.

Anyway, enough of my grumpy churlishness. Returning to the subject, I don't have a signature fragrance because my scent of the day is mood reflective. What I wear in the evening will be very different to what I wear during the day.

For example I almost never wear Ungaro III during the day because to my nose it's an evening fragrance and feels out of place during the day.
    In a world where people smell bad, it is the personal responsibility of every Basenoter to improve the world one SotD at a time...

Quote Originally Posted by Asha View Post
    Like a few others here, in the past I have always had a sort of "crown jewel" in the center of my small collection. I think one concept that has not been addressed is that sometimes, I simply love the smell of a certain perfume. I love it so much, that I want to wear it often. This love for the scent has lasted for years sometimes. I would say that qualifies as a signature scent, even though I always had others to wear. And, as far as getting tired or overloaded with it--for me, it seems that it has simply been changing tastes, maturity, etc., that made me look to another "center" scent.

Right now I do not have just one scent that the rest of my collection revolves around. But I would like it if I did!
    My view of female perfumes is slightly different to male ones. I could handle a woman wearing but three or four, if they were Coco Mademoiselle, Rose Essentielle by Bulgari, Infusion D'Iris and say, the first Ghost perfume, or Envy pour Femme or Rose Pivoine by Parfums De Nicolai. Or Lady Vengeance (but I like that more on me!).
    Last edited by HDS1963; 12th July 2008 at 02:32 PM.
    In a world where people smell bad, it is the personal responsibility of every Basenoter to improve the world one SotD at a time...

it's not for most of the world. Believe it or not, many guys I know have very firmly entrenched in their psyche that one should have a scent signature, which immediately announces them... but for me...

YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YESSSSSSS this idea is a thing of the past. Though honestly, I do occasionally feel a little schizo and wonder where my loyalties lie. I love the idea of a signature scent. I just can't make it happen. I think back to my childhood and remember so many of my mother's friends by their perfumes (her best friend wore Aromatics Elixir and my best female friend now wears 212 -- a source of quiet animosity because really, nothing can compete with that fragrance in a car, or at lunch, so no matter how cool and unique my fragrance, it just ends up in the shadow of the loud stuff most people get at the mall). In that regard I feel I'm missing out on another facet of the fragrance loving experience but I also know that my friends who really know me well have fun smelling what weird thing I'm going to be wafting from day to day.
    Last edited by nthny; 12th July 2008 at 05:54 PM.

Morning Star

Quote Originally Posted by HDS1963 View Post
    No sodding woman tells me what I can and can't wear. I am sick of women at the moment, they are a class A pain in the backside (my second divorce is making me very cynical). "I don't like that fragrance on you," she or others might say. "Ah well, tough. Go and sniff someone else then."
    I don't even want to think about what I'd be like going through a second divorce. Anyway, I've certainly had girlfriends that have tried to control what fragrances I've worn, to a greater or lesser degree. My most memorable "you smell bad" moment occurred when my current girlfriend and I ran into one of my ex-'s at a theater. She was with a band of her female friends, without a date, and it was obviously awkward for her.

Unfortunately, I was wearing Paco Rabanne Pour Homme that night, which was one of her favorites while we were dating. She had a negative reaction to it, and said it smelled bad. However, given the context, she was probably reacting more to the fact that it was bringing back painful memories for her. So I didn't object at all.

My point of view on this is that anyone I'm dating certainly has a right to try to influence what I smell like. After all, they're going to be smelling it a lot. The trick is to try to figure out if she is trying to exert influence out of genuine discomfort or out of a desire to control. Where I judge she falls on that spectrum determines how I'll react to it.

My current girlfriend has told me she does not like Bvlgari Black very much. It's the usual "burned rubber" complaint with which I'm sure a few of us are familiar. I've gotten a handful of similar complaints from others that I am not that close to, so I think it's a genuine complaint. So I decided to try to limit my wearing it to my work environment. She still smells it on me occasionally, but she doesn't use it as an excuse to create an argument out of nowhere. And that's important.

The number of times the same women who say that are wearing some ghastly celebrity fragrance which smells like it was put together by a chimp in a fragrance factory, is beyond measure.
    I rarely run into anyone wearing anything ghastly. One woman I work with practically bathes in a lilac scent, and I know it makes some of my co-workers uncomfortable. (I don't mind it that much; lilacs smell great.) But the woman is very obese and also pretty clearly depressed, maybe even clinically so. I've read that people who are very depressed often wear too much fragrance because their sense of smell is less acute.

One woman told me she didn't like me wearing Colonia Assoluta, my reply was "your lack of taste is not my problem". A little harsh I know, but indicative of my intolerance of women's fetishistic need to control.
    Colonia Assoluta is one of the best evening fragrances out there, from application all the way to drydown. It's one of the only ones that can pull me away from my Annick Goutal Les Nuits d'Hadrien. I probably would have found a polite way to suggest that that woman re-evaluate her reasons for complaining about it.

Default Is the idea of a Signature Frag...

For as much as I love the idea of a "signature fragrance", there are just too many excellent scents available out there to limit myself to just one, plus one scent worn repetitively seems like a boring idea to me! So, unless I find that "holy grail" scent that is just perfect all the time, every time, I will stick with an expanded collection. However, I will proudly admit that I keep my collection intentionally small so that those who I am around often can associate certain scents with me. This currently means that I have about 6 different "spring/summer" scents, 3 for daytime and 3 for nighttime, I plan on building up my collection in the same manner for "fall/winter", and will also hang onto a couple of "anytime" scents...my personal favorites that I wear whenever the heck I want. I don't strictly adhere to HAVING to wear these scents during the times they're intended for, it's more of a personal guideline than anything. If I have a desire to wear a particular scent, I'll wear it whenever I want regardless of the time of day or season.
    Doctor, doctor...what is wrong with me...?

Is the signature concept completely dead? No. However, I think there is a very logical reason why some of us are struggling so much with the search and, ultimately, considering it futile.

In my opinion, that reason is the nature of fragrance industry since about the 1990's (L eau de Issey, etc). The industry seems focused on producing "mood" scents that don't embody qualities of the wearer, but are rather like a pair of shoes to be changed with the outfit.

A signature scents is typically complex - much like a personality, in fact - a lot is demanded of it, after all. Work, dates, dinners, meetings, running errands. It needs to be able to handle all of those situations. Seriously, is Kelly Caleche or Infusion d' Iris or Bvlgari's Au Verte going to measure up to that type of need? For most of us, of course not. Because of lack of complexity, those types of scents do become boring in an olfactory manner and, for most of us, their situational uses are limited. They may smell "modern", but that's only because they don't commit to much. They're tedious, so it's on to the next new offering in a couple of months.

Like them or not, this is in contrast to nearly all of the classic Guerlains or older Lauder scents, that could fulfill those diverse functions due to their multidimensional natures (and there are obviously many other examples - some much more recent).

The idea of a "center" fragrance is brilliant, and, as I think about it, my collection is revolving quite a bit around citrus and somewhat around anise. For example, Philtre d' Amour is the star of my show, with evening possibilities of Shalimar Light and day possibilities of Habit Rouge and Aqua di Parma Colonia. For the anise: Aimez Moi is more formal whereas Lolita and Reglisse are more casual. That is something I need to pay more attention to with my wardrobe.

Thanks for the great thread!

I wouldn't limit myself to a signature fragrance, but I think it can be done, especially for non-enthusiasts who have neither the inclination nor the money to own two- or three-digit number of bottles.

Having said that, though, this one guy chirping about AdG being such an amazing and unique fragrance and his signature scent just cracked me up. Um, does your real signature look like everyone else's?

Is the idea of a "signature fragrance" passe? It depends on to whom the question is posed. I don't see a true perfumista having a "signature fragrance" in the sense of one fragrance he/she sticks to. But I can see a non-perfumista sticking to one perfume. In fact, before my basenotes days, I used to own one fragrance at a time. Post-basenotes, I don't see myself sticking to one fragrance. For perfumistas, the idea of a signature fragrance would seem untenable. if not deplorable.
    Heard melodies are sweet, but those unheard are sweeter. (Keats)

No, it's not a thing of the past since most people will only wear one or two fragrances max. It's just not common here on Basenotes.
    I would never have a signature scent. That's very boring. Although sometimes I would like someone to smell the same fragrance on me many times. Especially if they showed positive reactions to it.
    Last edited by Mostapha; 13th July 2008 at 04:22 PM.
    Looking for a sample of Gucci Envy Me.

I have a signature house.
    Last edited by samplermike; 13th July 2008 at 05:29 PM.

I could see having two signature scents for each fragrance category that one likes: one for the warm seasons and one for cool/cold weather. For me, let's see... that would be two times about eight, or a minimum of 16 fragrances. But then again, this could be limiting.

I'm having some trouble understanding the distinction some make between work and play, or day and evening fragrances. Maybe my life is more "seamless" than the lives of some others. Or maybe the distinction is not so important for those who, like myself, wear fragrance more for themselves than for others, and prefer the "close to the skin" types of scents.

Last, I'm intrigued by the IDEA of a bespoke fragrance, but I can't see limiting myself to just one.

Interesting question!
    Last edited by Haunani; 14th July 2008 at 01:32 AM. Reason: typo

Morning Star

Quote Originally Posted by seattlelight View Post
    Is the signature concept completely dead? No. However, I think there is a very logical reason why some of us are struggling so much with the search and, ultimately, considering it futile. In my opinion, that reason is the nature of fragrance industry since about the 1990's (L'Eau d'Issey, etc). The industry seems focused on producing "mood" scents that don't embody qualities of the wearer, but are rather like a pair of shoes to be changed with the outfit.
    There is a lot of this going on, it seems, even in the niche markets. The Jo Malone Cologne line is obviously designed to be flexible enough to be applied separately as layered components, allowing the wearer to design their own fragrance. I've been playing around with Wild Fig & Cassis and Lime Basil & Mandarin. The concept seems to work. Marc Jacobs is doing something a little similar with his Splash line of products (e.g. Fig, Grapefruit, Pear, Basil, etc), although I'm not sure they are meant to be layered.

Dependent

in the past, frags were made to be occasion-specific. Esp in the 60s to late 70s. the real raw citrus scent would be eau sauvage which i still use alot these days. back then i rem my older relatives to be splasing old spice and ES for grander and formal occasions. It was a novelty possession. It makes no sense trying to compare era, the past 2-3 decades have seen more and more versatile frags blooming. The CK ones and Clinique Happys are what many myself even, have grown accustomed to as citrus. I always vision the analogy of freshly squeezed juice to the syrups/concentrates/sugared and artificially flavoured liquids found everywhere now. Eau Sauvage would have represented the raw juice and Happy the artificial ones. Back then variety was not an option to the average baby boomer or those a generation before. Frags are made now to suit individual mood and are versatile to fault. The more versatile a frag is, the more we can expect them to be artificial or some say synthetic smelling. But how many would rather go back to a time when scents were only used cautiously and could easily spell out a person's social stature. I love both ES and Happy. I like how i have frags to match my mood and clothings and still get to appreciate the older classics. I feel awfully lucky. At least where im from, i rem during my infant years that only the richer classes of my grandfather's era could afford to be dressed up in suit and tie and accompanied with splashes of raw thick cologne inevitably to attend elitist ball room gathering. Looking at now, even a 13 or 14 year old could find a scent that suits him or her and personally have the means to afford a bottle or more. in my perspective i can say that i believe the more versatile a frag is the more likely it would be "synthetic" or "plastic" smelling. the urbanization of scents paved the way for synthesizing and i believe we all benefit from "chemical", "synthetic", "plastic" smelling scents. If one can live with just raw, un-reformulated frags(niche or not) solely, then i have nothing to say. I speak for myself btw and was merely providing my perspective through personal culture and experiences. I have no intentions at all to offend anyone who disagrees. Just my 2 cents. i wouldnt disagree with anyone's take on this as we all have our preferences I was oblivious to niche frags till i joined this site. And i look to build a collection of mainstream and niche frags(when im earning more). I enjoy a variety or scents, tho there would be 5-6 scents that i would have a couple of back up bottles of.

plus taste can change anytime any age. so i believe in a couple of "signature" scents, though i believe here in BN, members are drawn to the variety and myriad madness off countless classics, niche, mainstream etc frags. I still havent met one who would consider only one scent. I believe the singular context of the use of "signature" is inappropriate. I quite am certain from my short time in this forum that even the bona-fide niche collector would have a few niche faves - which could easily explain the all so often "top 5s, top 10s " threads that pop up, which so many of us enjoy participating in. Personally the longest i went on a single scent was about 2+ years of ck one, since back then i could only afford that, and i was really naive to the frag world at 14? and though my grandfather would occasionally splash his ES on me, i didnt consider it to be personally owned, though because of that, i have grown to love ES over the decades, from his usage.
    Last edited by MFJ; 28th July 2008 at 06:27 PM.