Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Is the idea of a "signature fragrance" completely a thing of the past now?

I heard it mentioned that a lot of guys...especially in the past, have had one fragrance that they love so much and simply stick to... for years, as their sig. frag. With all the amazing and quality scents of today, is this something that you find hard to do? My personal opinion is that I do like the idea of a sig. frag. but when it comes down to it, I either find myself getting tired of it somewhat or need one or two more to wear to keep things interesting. Plus there's the fact that some scents are simply suited for different occasions and/or seasons.

Default Re: Is the idea of a "signature fragrance" completely a thing of the past now?

That's a romantic sentiment, but geez, it sure is boring when you get down to it, isn't it?

Yep, it's a thing of the past.

Reasons for doing it: 1) You are poor 2) You just don't care about scents that much
    3) Your domineering significant other won't let you wear anything else

Simplistic view, I know.

Default Re: Is the idea of a "signature fragrance" completely a thing of the past now?

While I like the idea of a signature fragrance, being really into fragrances makes it difficult. I think once my initial interest phase winds down and I stop buying decants, I'll probably stick with a selection of fragrances that will become my signature wardrobe. If one has 2-3 daily wear and 2-3 evening/occasion fragrances, that's enough of a collection to give you some sort of scent memory to others, I'd wager.

Quote Originally Posted by ChuckW View Post
    That's a romantic sentiment, but geez, it sure is boring when you get down to it, isn't it?

Yep, it's a thing of the past.

Reasons for doing it: 1) You are poor 2) You just don't care about scents that much
    3) Your domineering significant other won't let you wear anything else

Simplistic view, I know.
    Agreed.. I had a 'signature scent' in high school and it was for those exact three reasons. I didn't have the money to buy many, didn't know that much or have a huge interest at the time, and my girlfriend then absolutely loved it (10 years later, she still tells me she thinks of me when she smells it)
    I'm a colognosaurus. Rawr!

Blog Entries

I couldn't do it. First, it'd be so boring. Second, one scent cannot possibly be appropriate for all occasions.

Interestingly, though, I was asked just earlier, "If you wear a different fragrance every so often, then how can people remember your smell?" Considering who it was that asked me, maybe that is the *one* good reason for considering the idea of a signature fragrance...

I just told her that I have an interest in fragrances and use quite a number of them. Let's see how that shapes up, but I'm in danger of straying onto another topic altogether
    Where once there was no scents to it all, now the world opens before me!

Basenotes Institution

Here on Basenotes - 'signature' scents are pretty nonexistent.

Outside of Basenotes, yes you can still find someone (usually an older person...but this is a sweeping generalization) that still has a signature scent. Case in point: my grandmother still diligently wears Beautiful by Estee Lauder after all of these years....

I'd say the Basenotes membership doesn't do the signature fragrance thing, but they will still search for a holy grail.

I'm not sure of the female dynamic but for men it's probably the first fragrance they got a compliment on from their sweety.

As another thread recently demonstrated, most segregate by work/play and thus must have at least two. If I had to cut down to a minimal wardrobe, I'd probably be unable to go under two.

I have a signature scent.....for every month

I have a signature scent ..... but I rarely wear it.
    Last edited by dr.creed; 17th August 2007 at 05:05 PM.
    decant sales:
    Crystal Flacon

I like the idea of having one scent that is in the 'middle' of my circle of scents, then others 'around' it. I have on such 'center' perfume that everyone says 'ah, that is the smell of you' about...

I certainly agree with all of you. It's just too boring and if you're around mostly the same people, then after awhile it'll get boring to them as well. ..

I don't think it's a thing from the past at all, maybe within Basenotes it's quite an absurd notion, but in the "real world", I guess it has much more following than our crazy, neverending search.
    "It is the mark of a brave man to admit defeat, cut his loss and move on." - David Ogilvy

I wonder. That basenoters won't settle for one scewnt is obvious. Among normal people a true signature scent (not an "I don't care about perfume, so I only have one" scent)is for somebody who is inner-directed and is displaying an olfactory compliment to his persona. I think the way consumer trends have developed most people these days feel obliged/enjoy
    1. to "play" a number of social roles and adapt their clothes and perfumes to these different roles. A scent for work, clubbing, chilling, sky-diving etc.
    2. to try new perfumes regularly in order to stay hip

Of course, the may still smell the same with all the designer clones out there

So, as someone said, except among more "conservative" types, I think the concept is dead.
    My Wardrobe
    II est de forts parfums pour qui toute matière/Est poreuse. On dirait qu'ils pénètrent le verre.

Red face Re: Is the idea of a "signature fragrance" completely a thing of the past now?

Quote Originally Posted by Gus View Post
    I don't think it's a thing from the past at all, maybe within Basenotes it's quite an absurd notion, but in the "real world", I guess it has much more following than our crazy, neverending search.
    True!

But it's all comparative in the first place. The friends of Paris Hilton might wear Prada, Versace, Gucci, Gaultier and Fiorucci. You will be laughed at when being asked: "Oh, you just have one designer brand that you wear? Only Gucci? Can you not afford to wear them all?"

And so it goes with music styles, cars, speeding boats, houses, holiday vacations and so on. My telly is bigger than yours, my car has more horsepower than yours and on top of all I'm a lot more stupid than you are, but nobody says that of course .... LOL! :brolly:
    decant sales:
    Crystal Flacon

I used to...but even then I'd dabble occassionally. I like the idea of having a scent associated with me...for my other half to smell it on a pillow and to be transported, a la Proust.
    But when it comes down to it, I like variety. I don't wear the same outfit every day...I have clothes to suit my mood, my activities, the weather...so why would I wear the same scent?

Cow Tipper Extraordinaire

Blog Entries

Wink Re: Is the idea of a "signature fragrance" completely a thing of the past now?

My signature scent--Montana Parfum d'Homme--umm..wait, that's Havana For Men..ah..make that Le 3me Homme...err..I meant Creed Millesime Imperial etc.etc. etc. has caused me to seek primal olfactory scream therapy and serious handwriting analysis
    Last edited by kbe; 17th August 2007 at 09:44 PM.
    These things cannot be long hidden: the Sun, the Moon, the Truth--Buddha
    Currently wearing: Yatagan by Caron

Well, I am a woman, but I will weigh in here, too, okay?
    I used to buy one bottle at a time and wear that as a "signature" scent, yes, partly because I was poor, and partly because that was what I thought you were supposed to do. That is what my mother still does.
    The other day at work I was going up the stairs and a co-worker said, I know it's you on the stairs? I said How did you know, I was halfway up, you could only see my from the waist down (Hoping they wouldn't say it was my big behind they recognized LOL) he said, You always have a beautiful perfume on and cool shoes.
    Yeah, okay, he is gay or he wouldn't have noticed my shoes, but still....
    Cool shoes and beautiful perfume? Not a bad signature, I don't guess. Doesn't always have to be the same perfume to be beautiful.

Because of the sheer volume of fragrances available today, use of one (a signature) fragrance has become less and less prevalent. As the choices increase, so does the desire to find an even more personal/unique scent. I think the existence of so many "variation on a theme" lines in the recent past also points to the fact that folks aren't buying the same thing twice. Unfortunately quantity has overtaken quality in the (mass) fragrance marketplace.

I disagree. OOOOOH!

After 25 years of enjoying fragrances one does develope a palate and approach to scents. At the same time I have weeded out, amended, and re-thought about what it is that makes my olfactory senses wake up and take note of a scent.

I am at that stage where I don't have time to keep searching for new offerings as the
    parameters really can't grow that much more. So the practicality of having 3 or 4 scents is much more appealing.

40 or more is superfluous and just plain silly.

But the search for a signature scent(s) comes from experience rather a knee-jerk reaction to a limited selection of today's meagre fumes.

I gave up on this idea quite some time ago.

My smelling of / talking about a different perfumes any time I see them has become a joke with close friends and family. They have accepted me as a 'collector'. I do not know what they have done with perfume gifts on special occasions. I never smell those on them. Some men outside BN don't wear cologne regularly. Women may have more than one and alternate these. They are usually loyal to what they have owned since I do not know when.
    'Il mondo dei profumi è un universo senza limiti: una fraganza puo rievocare sensazioni, luoghi, persone o ancora condurre in uno spazio di nuove dimensioni emozionali' L. V.

It is for me...I haven't worn one frag two days in a row in years, but i have 2 times in one week.
    But the thing is, nowadays when someone says to me: "oh, i only wear x/y frag only", i get a bit puzzled as to the reasons why they chose to do so when there's so many great stuff everywhere, but then i realize that not only everyone is different, but that i too was a one-frag guy one time or another a loooong time ago.

yeah why waste a collection like yours castorpollux? u got a sweet collection there mate

Blog Entries

I like the idea of a signature fragrance...but I, too, like the variety. Plus, I try not to wear my very favorite scents too much for fear of burning my nose out on them.

I think I do have a signature scent, though...& that's scent itself. My friends that I see all the time usually say something like "You smell good, as always."
    "Wait...is David Bowie really God?" - Penelope Garcia

I started off looking for a signature fragrance, but found that looking and testing and finding new surprises was interesting. The journey was more fun than the prospect of reaching my destination. Sometimes I still think about sticking with one fragrance, but now I know I couldn't ever pick just one.

The idea is definately still around. In fact, it's quite a nice idea, like monogamy. Look at the divorce rate. It's hovering around 50%, which is pretty ridiculous considering how much trouble it is to go through a divorce (kids, money, belongings, etc.). It is, however, not particularly difficult to divorce a fragrance, and it is much easier to sample new ones than it is to sample new women! (Well, for most of us at least). Also, fragrances don't get mad when you don't talk to them for a while or simply leave them altogether. Basically, it is way too tempting and easy to try and own multiple fragrances for the whole signature fragrance thing to be very popular. Of course I know a few people who do it, but in general, and even more so within Basenotes, it's rare.
    I do go through phases though where I will correlate certain fragrances with certain activities, so as far as some of the other people involved in those activities are concerned, I do have a signature fragrance. They'll say, "Oh, there you are with that cologne again." I'll just smile and say "which one?"
    Last edited by The_Giraffe; 20th August 2007 at 02:19 AM.

honestly it is my dream: find the definitive fragrance, the one that makes you belived the search is over.

And then?

It would be sad, don't you think?

As for all things in life you search for stilness through mouvement, and when you stop you want to start all over again.

Sorry for bad English. I did my best.

Greetings

My hope is that people come to recognize the 40 or 50 scents I wear on a regular basis as my "signature scents"
    Lately I've been wearing:
    Windsor, Bois de Santal, Original Santal, Elixir, Douro, Endymion, Reflection, Arcus, Marwah

The idea of a signature scent is alive and well only in the form of a bespoke fragrance created to your own specifications.

Part of what makes the need to find a "signature scent" so attractive (amongst those mainstream and niche brands on the market) is the belief that you, and ONLY you are the one that can identify wholly with this fragrance... but with several BILLION people on planet earth, this is unlikely!
    If youre the only person on the face of the earth wearing a tailor-made smell that you adore, (and you became recognised because of it)... then youve found the 'holy grail' of fine fragrance.
    Last edited by Sorcery of Scent; 20th August 2007 at 09:33 PM.

I have always been searching for this. The search is why I have 20 different bottles of cologne. Everytime I think I've found that signature scent, it's just not quite right. So, I guess I'll just keep looking....