Code of Conduct
Results 1 to 9 of 9
  1. #1

    Default Chyore Rouge and Jell-o

    Does anyone know what it is about the composition of Chypre Rouge that evokes red Jell-o?

    The notes listed are:

    Head
    Thyme, Pine needles,
    Heart
    Honey, Beeswax, Jasmine,

    Base
    Patchouli, Vanilla, Moss, Amber, Musks


    And which parts evoke that kind of sweaty curry? For those of you who aren't familliar with this one, it's really strange!
    CAESAR SEEKS:
    Slumberhouse : Norne
    Parfums d'Empire: Fougére Bengale

    CAESAR SWAPS/SELLS:




  2. #2

    Default Re: Chyore Rouge and Jell-o

    Because almost no-one here is familiar with Dinner by Bobo, no knows that Chypre Rouge is Dinner by Bobo re-bottled with a dash of wood. A direct steal, I could say.

    LOL. OMG the good wine has taken its toll, it seems. I thought it was Rousse at issue, not CR.
    hehehe I even wrote Chypre Rouge. K.. what I said applies tp Rousse.

    Chypre Rouge smells like a naive and hasty re-make of Sables by Goutal with generic body lotion wafting through the fenugreek (immortale, apparently here).
    Last edited by Killer_Vavoom; 17th August 2007 at 07:09 PM.

  3. #3

    Default Re: Chyore Rouge and Jell-o

    Quote Originally Posted by Killer_Vavoom View Post
    Because almost no-one here is familiar with Dinner by Bobo, no knows that Chypre Rouge is Dinner by Bobo re-bottled with a dash of wood. A direct steal, I could say.
    Interesting .. I have never heard of Bobo Dinner...can you or someone else comment further on the similarities between the two ?
    -

  4. #4

    Default Re: Chyore Rouge and Jell-o

    Chypre Rouge = Red Jell-O plus pine needles and fruity cough syrup.
    (NOT of Lutens' finest moments, IMHO.)

    Oh, well, at least it's not as god-awful as A*men or as insipid as Crave.
    Last edited by tvlampboy; 17th August 2007 at 06:15 PM.

    Peggy: "Right now, we have to get to the mental institution. Something terrible has happened."
    Latrelle: "What?"
    Peggy: "Brother Boy has tried to kill himself. He jumped out of his bedroom window."
    Latrelle: "Isn't he only on the second floor?"
    Peggy: "Yes, but he hit his head on a lawn gnome."
    Fr. Sordid Lives: The Series
    *****
    "Live, live, live! Life is a banquet, and most poor suckers are starving to death."
    Auntie Mame
    [/B]

  5. #5

    Default Re: Chyore Rouge and Jell-o

    Well, if YOU were Chris Sheldrake and had spiced up your latest potion with cherry jell-o, would you put it in the scent pyramid. I can just see Serge waxing nostalgic:

    It was in the souk of Casablanca, where I encountered the nearly forgotten craft of the Al-Jalili, the old Moroccan jellomakers. I kept a portion of an old master's jell-o in a pine tree box for thirty years, and the smell that enveloped me when I opened it on a sultry ambersunseted evening inspired me to call Chris on my cell and order him to whip up Chypre rouge.
    My Wardrobe
    II est de forts parfums pour qui toute matière/Est poreuse. On dirait qu'ils pénètrent le verre.

  6. #6

    Default Re: Chyore Rouge and Jell-o

    Quote Originally Posted by zztopp View Post
    Interesting .. I have never heard of Bobo Dinner...can you or someone else comment further on the similarities between the two ?
    Don't want to hijack the Chpre Rouge thread, but to answer your question (refer to edited posting above). Rousse is quite similar to Dinner but the latter is WAY louder, sweeter and funkier and more gourmand-y. Rousse is Dinner refined and given a serious poise. On top of a toned down Dinner, Rousse has this pulpy feel to it, a hint of washed can (reserved food can)-- this metallic after-exhale sensation, and some good wood in its base.

  7. #7

    Default Re: Chyore Rouge and Jell-o

    Quote Originally Posted by Killer_Vavoom View Post
    Don't want to hijack the Chpre Rouge thread, but to answer your question (refer to edited posting above). Rousse is quite similar to Dinner but the latter is WAY louder, sweeter and funkier and more gourmand-y. Rousse is Dinner refined and given a serious poise. On top of a toned down Dinner, Rousse has this pulpy feel to it, a hint of washed can (reserved food can)-- this metallic after-exhale sensation, and some good wood in its base.
    Wait - are you talking about Rousse or Chypre Rouge? Rousse is the one that has alot of powedered cinnamon in it (and one of the rare Lutens that I don't like) and Chypre Rouge is the one that smells like Cherry Jello and celeri salt and curry.
    --------------------------------------
    Quote Originally Posted by the_good_life View Post
    Well, if YOU were Chris Sheldrake and had spiced up your latest potion with cherry jell-o, would you put it in the scent pyramid. I can just see Serge waxing nostalgic:

    It was in the souk of Casablanca, where I encountered the nearly forgotten craft of the Al-Jalili, the old Moroccan jellomakers. I kept a portion of an old master's jell-o in a pine tree box for thirty years, and the smell that enveloped me when I opened it on a sultry ambersunseted evening inspired me to call Chris on my cell and order him to whip up Chypre rouge.
    Ha! Excellent! Now I know!
    Last edited by GAIVS IVLIVS CAESAR; 17th August 2007 at 08:00 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    CAESAR SEEKS:
    Slumberhouse : Norne
    Parfums d'Empire: Fougére Bengale

    CAESAR SWAPS/SELLS:




  8. #8
    Basenotes Institution
    mikeperez23's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Miami, FL
    Posts
    26,534

    Default Re: Chyore Rouge and Jell-o

    Quote Originally Posted by the_good_life View Post
    Well, if YOU were Chris Sheldrake and had spiced up your latest potion with cherry jell-o, would you put it in the scent pyramid. I can just see Serge waxing nostalgic:

    It was in the souk of Casablanca, where I encountered the nearly forgotten craft of the Al-Jalili, the old Moroccan jellomakers. I kept a portion of an old master's jell-o in a pine tree box for thirty years, and the smell that enveloped me when I opened it on a sultry ambersunseted evening inspired me to call Chris on my cell and order him to whip up Chypre rouge.
    LOL.

    'old master's jello'. Funny.

  9. #9

    Default Re: Chypre Rouge and Jell-O

    My review (verbatim) of Chypre Rouge -- this from September of last year:

    "Ick -- how sad an 'accomplishment' for Lutens & Shiseido alike. Someone earlier described it as smelling like 'Kool Aid.' That was an incorrect -- or at least incomplete -- assessment. Make that instead, 'Kool Aid mixed with flophouse sweat and brewed for three days in the blistering sun.'

    This was, hands down, one of the worst olfactory experiences of my life. I rank it right up there with Hai Karate, A*men and Brut in terms of its ability to burn nasal passages and start small diesel engines."
    Last edited by tvlampboy; 17th August 2007 at 09:41 PM.

    Peggy: "Right now, we have to get to the mental institution. Something terrible has happened."
    Latrelle: "What?"
    Peggy: "Brother Boy has tried to kill himself. He jumped out of his bedroom window."
    Latrelle: "Isn't he only on the second floor?"
    Peggy: "Yes, but he hit his head on a lawn gnome."
    Fr. Sordid Lives: The Series
    *****
    "Live, live, live! Life is a banquet, and most poor suckers are starving to death."
    Auntie Mame
    [/B]

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •