Code of Conduct
    Post Thanks / Like

Default A few Brittish blind-buys I'm considering...

I'm a big fan of the Brittish barbershop-style genre.

I've been trying to find samples of these for too long, so I'm thinking of making a few blind buys, even though I don't like to do so. I've heard such good things about all of these, though that I think it might be pretty safe. Any comments?

Dunhill (original 1934) - If it is anything like the 2003 "reformulation", then we're in business.

Hugh Parson's 99 Regent Street - I own and love HP blue and yellow

Geo F. Trumper GFT - "a thoroughly Brittish powdery citrus" ...Where do I sign?

Truefitt and Hill Grafton - supposed contender in the "battle of the barbershop cologne king" matchup between this and Caron un pour homme. "soapy dry, very green fougere"
    Lately I've been wearing:
    Windsor, Bois de Santal, Original Santal, Elixir, Douro, Endymion, Reflection, Arcus, Marwah

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: A few Brittish blind-buys I'm considering...

Scentronic,

I am a Brittish fan too, and am also considering the Parson's blind. I have another thread started about it. If you get the 99 Regent, I would be very interested in your thoughts. Go for it!

Matty
    "I have the simplest tastes. I am always satisfied with the best." - Oscar Wilde (1854-1900)

Current Rotation: Terre D'Hermes, Boucheron PH, Villoresi Uomo, Green Irish Tweed, Chanel PMC, Gucci PH, Floris Santal, Carven Homme, Dunhill '34, PI by Givenchy, Parfums de Nicolai New York

Post Thanks / Like

GFT is a pretty safe blind buy. A standard citrus construction with quality ingredients.

I havent tried the hugh parsons or the dunhill but I am a fan of Grafton and would definitely buy it if I could.
    -

Post Thanks / Like

Dunhill 1934 is significantly better than 2003 but is apparently discontinued, it is v Brit conservative, and a relatively safe blind buy if ou canfind it. I bought it as a blind buy for my wedding, smelled it when it arrived and kept it for the day despite having plenty of other choices.

Trumpers GFT is a safe blind buy. Curzon is great too, more Brit than GFT, but perhaps not as safe blind.

Obviously Czech and Speake are well thought of around here, I haven't tried 88 but have oft thought of buying it blind myself (despite most write- ups suggesting it is anything but a blind buy! - quite controversial)

Ged
    Top 10 (not in order): Dunhill 1934, Dunhill Edition, Terre d'Hermes, Rive Gauche, Habit Rouge, Guerlain Vetiver, Knize Ten, Bois du Portugal, Vintage Tabarome, Green Irish Tweed

Summer Rotation: GIT, Aventus, Erolfa, Vetiver 1948, Guerlain Vetiver, Malle VE, Terre d'Hermes, Bvlgari PH, Bvlgari Acqua, Habit Rouge EDC and Sport, ADP Colonia Assoluta, Chanel PMC, Dunhill Edition, Eau Sauvage, TF Azure Lime

Post Thanks / Like

1934 & GFT are very safe blind buys...both outstanding scents. I've never sampled the other two. Good luck with your decision...

Mike

I would add the discontinued Yardley's English Fine Cologne. I think it's still out there somewhere and it's more likely than not, cheap.
    The last SA i talked to when i was buying this one, didn't understand the difference between this one and Yardley's English Lavender, she swore to me they were the same thing... i tried to explain but it felt like talking to a wall...