Code of Conduct

Default HELP - I'm going to order an Annick Goutal

Which one ..?
    I'm not able to try them, so this will be a totally blind buy.

Some of my favorit parfums are:
    Black Cashmere, DKNY Women, Aimez Moi, Miss Rocaille, Gianfranco Ferré 20, Vol de Nuit, Black Orchid, Jicky, Champs-Elysées, Shalimar Light, Y
    Do you have any suggest? What about Les Nuits D'Hadrien?

Default Re: HELP - I'm going to order an Annick Goutal

Sounds scary, I am growing more apprehensive of the blind buy. My daughters love them as they get free perfumes.

I am becoming a super sampler/tester

oriental: Songes (good choice)
    citrus: Mandragore or Nuits d'Hadrien

a,.

We seem to have similar taste, so I will go out on a limb and suggest Songes.
    It is very voluptuous, with notes of jasmine, ylang ylang and vanilla.
    My only complaint is that longevity is lacking.
    "Like a lobster with a pearl in its claw, the beet held the jasmine firmly without crushing or obscuring it. Beet lifted jasmine, the way a bullnecked partner lifts a ballerina, and the pair came on stage on citron's fluty cue. As if jasmine were a collection of beautiful paintings, beet hung it in the galleries of the nose, insured it against fire or theft, threw a party to celebrate it. Citron mailed the invitations." Jitterbug Perfume by Tom Robbins p. 189

What I am loving right now: Shalimar vintage extrait, Chanel Bois des Iles, Chanel no. 22, Le Labo Iris 39, Guerlain Iris Ganache

Send me your address and I will send you some samples before you buy, if you like. I have the sampler set and it is quite generous, I can decant the ones I am not crazy about and send decants of what I own. Charlotte, Camille, Eau de Hadrian, Songes, etc.

Post Thanks / Like

GL -- Please take advantage of Lannansidhe's terrific offer. I was finally able to test drive a lot of AGs at Sak's in Portland last Christmas. Absolutely stunned me that I didn't care for any of them. From reading on here and other places I came soooo close to so many AG blind buys it was crazy! But, I am really glad I didn't give in to the temptation. While I found several as lovely as could be, for me, they all had a bit of a dark side... something that I didn't like after they were on me for awhile. Might be my skin, or just my preference... what ever it was, none were BW for me. Enjoy the hunt!
    Last edited by Beebee; 19th August 2007 at 02:47 AM.
    Bel Respiro, I adore you... but my heart belongs to another.

As Beebee mentioned, testing them would be a great idea. Goutal's are mostly very French, a few are based on outdoor themes; a few on romance. They consist largely of natural ingredients, which is why some seem to fade away too quickly or appear a little airy. All part of the fun if you ask me - there are some terrific offerings. Eau d'Hadrien, Mandragore, Eau de Camille, Eau du Sud, Songes... Happy testing!
    "Perfume is the dream that carries me."

There is always the sky to look at

Thank you
    This is really exciting.
    I guess some samples would be best.
    Songes sounds interesting baybe that would be the best choise for me.

Post Thanks / Like

The only one I've ever tried is Eau d'Hadrien, and that was a very beautiful lemon supported by cypress wood, airy, but impressively long-lasting. The best thing about it was its non-sweet lemon scent, which was quite realistic. After I wore it, I had to go to the grocery and buy some fresh lemons to squeeze into ice water. The cypress base was outstanding. Don' t look for sugar, though.

Post Thanks / Like

I love AGs but will only buy the EDPs, as the EDTs disappear quickly on me. My two faves are Grand Amour (complex floral with a striking hyacinth) and Heure Exquise (and, oh, Gardenia Passion..). I've also found that the lotions are gorgeous and really help with staying power. Please post a followup so we can find out what you liked!

Quote Originally Posted by kariekirk View Post
    I love AGs but will only buy the EDPs, as the EDTs disappear quickly on me. My two faves are Grand Amour (complex floral with a striking hyacinth) and Heure Exquise (and, oh, Gardenia Passion..). I've also found that the lotions are gorgeous and really help with staying power. Please post a followup so we can find out what you liked!
    lannansidhe is very kind - sending me samples. I almost can't wait
    I think I will order an EDP to, since AGs don't last long on the skin. I will post a followup
    Last edited by Guerlain-lover; 21st August 2007 at 08:59 PM. Reason: just one word wrong

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Eau de Camille and Eau D'Hadrian are the best IMO. Nuits D'Hadrian is very masculine.

It's really worth splurging a bit extra and going for the EdPs with Annick Goutal. Songes in the EdP is *totally* fabulous (it is merely *quite* fabulous in the EdT formulation). Hope you decide to try some samples first - and enjoy!

Yes, I will go for the EdP, that's for sure. I haven't got the samples yet, but probably will soon. I'm really curios about Songes.
    I can wear a some masculine scents to - on me they turn feminine

Songes is lovely, but I'm trying to recall the name of another Goutal I tried that was delightful. I think it might have been something like Neroli? I tend to avoid orangey fragrances, but that one was light and rather beautiful on me. I still would buy Songes though, given the option, and my husband has that one at the top of his list for 'next wifey purchase'...
    "I don't know the key to success,
    but the key to failure is trying to please everybody."
    Bill Cosby

Make it Les Nuits d'Hadrien (for men or women) or Gardénia Passion (for women).
    Sables is a truly great scent, but not for everyone -- CERTAINLY not a good choice for a blind buy.
    Avoid Mandragore at all costs -- unless you like smelling like eau de lemon sorbet, that is.
    Last edited by tvlampboy; 30th August 2007 at 06:05 PM.

Peggy: "Right now, we have to get to the mental institution. Something terrible has happened."
    Latrelle: "What?"
    Peggy: "Brother Boy has tried to kill himself. He jumped out of his bedroom window."
    Latrelle: "Isn't he only on the second floor?"
    Peggy: "Yes, but he hit his head on a lawn gnome."
    Fr. Sordid Lives: The Series
    "Live, live, live! Life is a banquet, and most poor suckers are starving to death."
    Auntie Mame
    [/B]

Post Thanks / Like

Eau d' Hadrien version EP. Also the Soap AND Body Oil of Ed'H. It makers the fragrance to last all the day...I do that.

No one has mentioned eau de Charlotte-it's a fun fragrance! mimosa, lily of the valley, blackcurrents, and cocoa.

Even in toilette formula these last a good while on me. The EDP versions are more complex. Cannot wait to hear which you enjoyed!

Mandragore is liquid pepper and all green to my nose-and I must say that both Annick Goutals I've tried were very short-lived and you couldn't smell them a couple hours later.

Banned

Post Thanks / Like

Quel Amour is a delicately beautiful scent bursting with cranberry, peonies and bulgarian rose. This is my fave from the AG women's portfolio.
    Gardenia Passion is also delightful.

I don't recommend purchasing anything from AG line unsniffed. They're "simple" scents and they accumulated quickly in my collection due to the "buy one, get one free" offer they have a couple times a year. I had many bottles and was quickly bored with all of them. They're not complex enough to hold my interest or to be appropriate for many of my moods/occasions. I don't know for sure that you'll find this to be true for you, and I know sometimes we all crave a change, but you are a Guerlain lover, and the AG line is - well - it's not Guerlain by a long shot.

Post Thanks / Like

I *heart* Eau d'Hadrien.

Please visit SalonAesthetica.com (undergoing redecorating, but still open for business and will be motoring along soon)

Quote Originally Posted by Sestra View Post
    Kelly Caleche smells like Beelzeebub's urine to me...

Quote Originally Posted by seattlelight View Post
    I don't recommend purchasing anything from AG line unsniffed. They're "simple" scents and they accumulated quickly in my collection due to the "buy one, get one free" offer they have a couple times a year. I had many bottles and was quickly bored with all of them. They're not complex enough to hold my interest or to be appropriate for many of my moods/occasions. I don't know for sure that you'll find this to be true for you, and I know sometimes we all crave a change, but you are a Guerlain lover, and the AG line is - well - it's not Guerlain by a long shot.
    Well, I do buy a lot unsniffed, but I haven't done it with AG's yet. I have a bad feeling .. Need to sample some - Maybe Eau d'Hadrien will be the best. I am a Guerlain lover - Actually I have been a Caron lover to. Sacre is my big fav for the moment I wonder if maybe Hermes will be my next

Since first responding to this post, I purchased a 100ml bottle of Eau de Camille in the edt version, which was all I could find in this scent. I wore it today, I craved it today, and I was delighted to discover that it lasted all day long in a light atmospheric way that perfectly matched my quiet Sunday energy.

As a new Guerlain lover myself, I can SORT of see why you might say that AG is simple comparatively speaking, but I myself would not call Eau de Camille a simple scent. I tend to like non linear scents, like the Carons, that evolve over time. EdCamille was perfectly satisfying for me today. Tender, alive, organic. Garden like.

Don't give up trying to test this line. Something really special here. If they were paintings, perhaps a Guerlain would be more like an oil painting, whereas Annick Goutal has more of a watercolor effect. Both are beautiful.
    "Like a lobster with a pearl in its claw, the beet held the jasmine firmly without crushing or obscuring it. Beet lifted jasmine, the way a bullnecked partner lifts a ballerina, and the pair came on stage on citron's fluty cue. As if jasmine were a collection of beautiful paintings, beet hung it in the galleries of the nose, insured it against fire or theft, threw a party to celebrate it. Citron mailed the invitations." Jitterbug Perfume by Tom Robbins p. 189

What I am loving right now: Shalimar vintage extrait, Chanel Bois des Iles, Chanel no. 22, Le Labo Iris 39, Guerlain Iris Ganache

Post Thanks / Like

Since you first posted, I have tried Eau de Camille, as part of the 3 x 3 Blind Sniff for Mean & Green scents.
    I adored it.
    It was beyond good.
    It is no longer listed on the Annick Goutal website.
    Does that mean it is discontinued?

http://www.perfume.com/annick-goutal...e-1063564.html
    the above link lists EdCamille as in stock. I think this is where I purchased my bottle from and I love it.

Post Thanks / Like

Red face Re: HELP - I'm going to order an Annick Goutal

I would say that a Guerlain lover should be very careful buying Annick Goutal unsniffed.
    I bought a discount bottle of Songes at Loehman's last week, and, although I like jasmine,
    I found the scent a little overpowering and it sticks like glue to me. In my opinion, Songes has not much complexity, but is very strong and sweet. I wouldn't have paid that price, even at Loehman's, had I known what it smells like. I really should stop blind buys. But that is just my opinion on one fragrance. It's interesting that most of the Goutal complaints have to do with lack of longevity. Not Songes, at least on me.
    The problem is the names of the frags are too damn evocative!!!! I'm a victim of advertising, yet again.