Code of Conduct

Wink All About Yves........Rocher

Has anyone else out there tried Yves Rocher's products? The quality is quite good. I ordered a box load of products from the Yves Rocher US web-site. Everything was 50% off + free shipping over $25 - you can get a lot of their stuff for $25.
    Neonatura Cocoon - the poor cousin to Borneo 1834, Voile D'Ambre - yum, Rose Absolue - no so great, Homme Nature shower gel - very nice, and an amazingly scented herbal body scrub.
    YR will never replace Creed or Clarins for me, but, it is not bad at all.
    Many thanks to Dr. Creed and Scentemental for their insights.
    Last edited by Kevin Guyer; 19th August 2007 at 02:07 AM.

Default Re: All About Yves........Rocher

I really like their products and have written about them here often in the past. For me it all started with Tel Quel a men's scent now discontinued.

For a while I was into Neonatura Cocoon - which to me is a very unisex scent. It is a much more deeper version of Angel Men.

I also like Hogar which is a deep woody amber sweet scent. Eyro is also a very unique one to. All a good quality and long lasting.

Wink Re: All About Yves........Rocher

I will check out your YR posts.

Quote Originally Posted by Ruggles View Post
    Has anyone else out there tried Yves Rocher's products?
    . . . . Voile D'Ambre - yum, Rose Absolue - no so great, Homme Nature shower gel - very nice, and an amazingly scented herbal body scrub.

YR will never replace Creed or Clarins for me, but, it is not bad at all.
    Many thanks to Dr. Creed and Scentemental for their insights.
    You're more than welcome Ruggles; although, I don't recall specifically posting about Yves Rocher except maybe an off-hand comment or two in the SOTD threads.

It's a great company with excellent products and service all round.

Voile d'Ambre EDP has shot to my top ten list of eminently wearable orientals. It's smooth, satisifying, complex, resonant, and resinous, but very contained, beautifully balanced and understated at the same time. It seems entirely irrelevant to mention it's supposed to be for women, but I will in case anyone goes looking for it.

Speaking of eminently wearable women's orientals, I've developed a deep fascination with Cartier's Le Baiser du Dragon; so much so, that I bought the EDT, EDP, and Parfum versions. The EDP reminds me a lot of Habit Rouge in the top and middle notes. The parfum is sumptuous and narcotic. The EDT is understated, sedate, quietly beautifully, and very pleasant. The nose behind is Le Baiser du Dragon is the prolific Alberto Morillas, who's women's fragrances, I think, are always better than his men's.

Back to Yves Rocher: Homme Nature is a Pierre Bourdon creation. It won't set the world on fire, but it's an interesting take on aquatic/oceanic scents. I think of it as a salty green fragrance; again, very understated, beautifully crafted, high aesthetic value with the bottle and packaging, and given that you can get it for a song, really good value for an unobtrusive casual scent.

I have also fallen for Eryo. It starts of like Chanel's Allure and alluring it is as it goes through its various rich oriental phases and dries down smoothly and in a very balanced manner--these qualities seem to be the hallmark of Yves Rocher fragrances--to what is a very engagingly solid balsamic woody base. You won't be able to stop smelling yourself. It's really superb, and if you use their coupons and wait for their regular 50% off deals, you'll practically get it for the price of shipping, which is, incidentally, free for orders over $25.00. Plus they throw in freebies everytime you buy over a certain amount. Their generosity is so prolific, it's almost comical.

Can you tell I really like their products, service, and ethos?

scentemental

Last edited by scentemental; 19th August 2007 at 04:27 AM.

Anything with scentemental's stamp of approval is worth trying, imo.
    That Eryo sounds intriguing.
    Are you not entertained??? Is this not why you are here??

I agree with the comments of others: fragrance wise, I own Nature Millénaire pour Homme, now discontinued. An excellent creation. I also use their shower gels, washes etc. The service is top class.

I started looking for Rose Absolue and Voile d'Ambre after having bought Neonatura and TelQuel some weeks ago. From the reviews here and on makeupalley I would have thought Rose Absolue is a deadringer to Voleur de Roses, there's a rose - patchouli combo I read that is a lot more sweet than VdR, but I didn't have the chance to buy it yet. Voile d'Ambre was more than once stated to be a very womanly and feminine refined amber, it's the most expensive and most expensive smelling offer they have I read. The fact it was said to be quite feminine stopped my interest in a second. Not that I find Ambre Sultan by SL feminine at all, but at times I even find that one a bit hard to wear, nevermind.

As said before, I find Neonatura and Borneo to be more or less clones, the Neonatura changes quite a bit in the drydown and matches the result of Borneo much more than in the beginning. The beginning is quite harsh with lots of chocolate, patchouli and that flirring note that I can see can make some people really sick, but it changes all for the better IMHO.

Now, TelQuel is really great and surprised me quite a bit. The cheering reviews on basenotes are dead on. Someone compared it witch Gucci Envy for men coming back from Hawaii vacation. I don't really agree with that description, but the feeling is indeed tropical and ever so happy. For the price you get a lot of sunshine, even without being on Hawaii vacation.
    Last edited by dr.creed; 1st August 2008 at 11:25 PM.
    decant sales:
    Crystal Flacon

Quote Originally Posted by dr.creed View Post
    I started looking for Rose Absolue and Voile d'Ambre after having bought Neonatura and TelQuel some weeks ago. From the reviews here and on makeupalley I would have thought Rose Absolue is a deadringer to Voleur de Roses, there's a rose - patchouli combo I read that is a lot more sweet than VdR, but I didn't have the chance to buy it yet. V\Not that I find Ambre Sultan by SL feminine at all, but at times I even find that one a bit hard to wear, nevermind.
    Actually, I find Neonatura Cocoon's opening notes to be very similiar to Voleur de Roses - a strong patchouli/rose blast - it settles into its Borneo-like - coco/vanilla accord much later.
    Rose Absolute has very little to do with VdR - it's more of a classic rose scent. Voile d'Ambre is a rather sweet, feminine amber, nothing Lutens like about it, but quite good.
    Last edited by Kevin Guyer; 20th August 2007 at 02:33 PM.

Are TelQuel and the other discontued scents hard to get one's hands on these days? Any tips?

I completely forgot about Vanille Bourbon, Noix de Coco and Bambou. Noix de Coco is all coconut, that is very, very sweet, I personally use it as a roomspray. Gives tropical feeling instantly. It's much more coconut than let's say Comptoir Sud Pacifique's Vanille Coco, but they are similar in terms of the sweetness. Vanille Bourbon was mentioned to be a deadringer to Lomani Ignition. Having never smelled the Lomani, I can't prove that, but it's all soft vanilla to me. Also preferable as roomspray or bedtime scent. Vanilla has a great effect before going to bed. Like probably only lavender they calm you down and help falling asleep in minutes.

Bambou finally I sold. It just was too green for me, but the bamboo note nevertheless was really authentic and original. I sold it, because I couldn't see a chance to wear it or even use it as a roomspray.
    decant sales:
    Crystal Flacon

I have smelled YR scens couple days ago and sorry to say this but I haven't liked their smells at all. They smelled very cheap to me. Exactlly for such a price.

Rose absolute is a cloying olive rose scent - for old ladies like Penhaligon's Elizabeth Rose

Voile d'ambre is too sweet, with lots of anise. The only one ambre which is cheap but very good balanced is Loccitane's.
    "PLAIN LIVING, HIGH THINKING" O.W., De Profundis
    Real beauty: 1) Frederic Malle 1-20 2) Chanel Egoiste 3) YSL Opium pour Homme edp 4) TF Noir de Noir

Noses: 1) Jacques Cavallier 2) Maurice Roucel

Quote Originally Posted by DreamerII View Post
    I have smelled YR scens couple days ago and sorry to say this but I haven't liked their smells at all. They smelled very cheap to me. Exactlly for such a price.
    I have to agree here. Most of them smell like imitations of existing designer/niche scents. Once I spent two hours in one of their stores, in Paris, and eventually walked out empty-handed. The thrill of purchasing frags so cheaply can be a great feeling but (in my case) caution helped me 'snap out of it'.

And I really wanted to purchase one of their fruity EDTs...

Eryo arrived! It's fantastic, I like it a lot, it changes quite a bit over time and also Mure Sauvage is unbeatable for the price I paid. I get a long lasting Mure et Musc by L'Artisan Parfumeur, it smells almost the same to me.
    decant sales:
    Crystal Flacon

Hoggar is very nice too.
    Very good tonka base, warm and woody.
    Ce message provient du Québec!

Eryo arrived! It's fantastic, I like it a lot, it changes quite a bit over time and also Mure Sauvage is unbeatable for the price I paid. I get a long lasting Mure et Musc by L'Artisan Parfumeur, it smells almost the same to me.
    dr. creed,

I am happy to hear you didn't listen to any of the niche naysaying. I think, as in life, it's important to keep an open mind, and it's clear from your previous exposure to Yves Rocher that have clearly done that.

I have now sampled all of Yves Rocher's fragrance products, men's and women's and they all strike me as thoughtful, quality products of distinction.

Enjoy your Eryo. I certainly enjoy mine.

scentemental

Last edited by scentemental; 29th August 2007 at 12:45 PM.

Count me in as another fan of Hoggar. Tonka bonanza but quite well balanced with cedar. Similar to Boss Soul but actually much better.

Also I earlier described their Nature pour homme Millenaire as a poor mans Bois de Portugal, which really is true. Great for that price, dry, rugged and complex -good stuff.

I also own Neonatura Cocoon and like it. Has that dry cocoa vibe that Dior Homme sports.

2 older ones I didn´t like were Antartic (simple marine with grapefruit) and Aztec (synthetic woods).

Further I have very early memories of mom using one of their orientals, Ishfahan or something like that, which I intensely enjoyed as a kid (sounding like Marcel Proust here...)

I´d say Y R is´nt in any way inferior to any of the old designer brands that licence /pimp out their names to P&G, Unilever etc. But for a better price.

/m

I completely forgot about Vanille Bourbon, Noix de Coco and Bambou. Noix de Coco is all coconut, that is very, very sweet, I personally use it as a roomspray. Gives tropical feeling instantly. It's much more coconut than let's say Comptoir Sud Pacifique's Vanille Coco, but they are similar in terms of the sweetness. Vanille Bourbon was mentioned to be a deadringer to Lomani Ignition. Having never smelled the Lomani, I can't prove that, but it's all soft vanilla to me. Also preferable as roomspray or bedtime scent. Vanilla has a great effect before going to bed. Like probably only lavender they calm you down and help falling asleep in minutes.

Bambou finally I sold. It just was too green for me, but the bamboo note nevertheless was really authentic and original. I sold it, because I couldn't see a chance to wear it or even use it as a roomspray.
    Today I was gifted a bottle of Vanille Bourbon by Yves Rocher. Quite a nice surprise! I was expecting the typical cheap vanilla - but actually it's rich and satisfying. While not really in the league with Labo 44 and Guerlain Spiritueuse Double Vanille - I can see wearing this often enough. Is it masculine enough? Well, I prefer the extra incense/woody feeling from the Labo - so perhaps this can also serve as a layering fragrance.

Not bad for a few bucks!!
    "Faites des bêtises, mais faites les avec enthousiasme !" Colette

Nature pour Homme is my latest blind buy from this house and it wasn't a let down. OK, it's not the benchmark in aquatics nor an Erolfa clone, but I think it comes somehow close to L'Eau d'Issey pour Homme from the top of my head, sweeter, a bit more woods and a certain green feel.

Voile d'Ambre is my favourite and it's just awesome! Such a dignified amber. So dense, almost gourmand and sophisticated it's a pleasure to spray indeed. I'm an amber fan and this one I'm sooo glad I tracked down and now own.
    decant sales:
    Crystal Flacon

Basenotes Institution

It's such a coincidence that this thread popped up - I have never sampled a Yves Rocher scent before and then a generous Basenoter gifted me a sample of Iris Noir by YR. Looking forward to giving it a sniff.

Voile D'Ambre is in rotation now. It smells great; very smooth and it wears well.The ancillary products are good too.
    Yves Rocher used to carry a frag called "Venice" which is a long lost love of mine.

Hi, I'm late to this post but I was really impressed by Eryo for whatever it's worth. I think it's a real gem in the line.

Basenotes Plus

Yves Rocher...gotta love 'em!

Eryo (it is good, very decent - the shower gel/hair & body shampoo is actually fantastic!)
    Nature Homme - fantastic, very "organic" (natural) green composition from 1999. Pierre Bourdon's name is listed as the nose! The ivy, mint, sage, oakmoss and sandalwood combined with nice citrus and cucumber for a wonderful, refreshing wear. NOT an aquatic - a truly green scent with depth, very good projection and above-average longevity. A hidden gem from Yves Rocher.
    Comme Une Evidence Homme - wonderful Woody Spicy with a great integration of notes that lead you along a forest path to a beautiful, blooming rose in the heart. No fixatives here, so longevity is around 4 hours - but one to reapply and, mainly, enjoy the wonderful time you have with it. One of my personal favorites from the house. Antoine Maisondieu is the nose!
    Comme Une Evidence Homme Green - good, fresh, crisp. Less depth (no oakmoss) than Nature Homme - but a solid bottle of fragrance nonetheless. Great for the first hour (like a glass of ice cold spring water on hot day with a slice of lime and some crushed mint!) The patchouli, sage and wood offer some mid and base...but it fades rather soon. Nice and quality ingredients.

Many more to go through on the women's side...but that is my perspective of some males fragrances from the Yves Rocher house. Love their bath products and facial creams, masks, etc. I support this house highly for a lot of products other than fragrances - and even those listed are of surprisingly very good quality.
    “Some perfumes are as fragrant as an infant’s flesh, sweet as an oboe’s cry, and greener than the spring; While others are triumphant, decadent or rich; Having the expansion of infinite things, like ambergris and musk, benzoin and frankincense, which sing the transports of the mind and every sense.”

― Charles Baudelaire, The Flowers of Evil & Paris Spleen

Like both their fragrances and their cosmetics. Purchase them often for gifts, but also enjoy them on myself, especially the very unisex Fraicheur Vegetale line, mainly consisting of light, casual, yest suave EDC, Eau Fraiches etc.

+2 Cannot agree more on the Homme Nature and Comme une Evidence Homme comments!
    For me as well the two best of this house for men!

Quote Originally Posted by ericrico View Post
    Yves Rocher...gotta love 'em!

Eryo (it is good, very decent - the shower gel/hair & body shampoo is actually fantastic!)
    Nature Homme - fantastic, very "organic" (natural) green composition from 1999. Pierre Bourdon's name is listed as the nose! The ivy, mint, sage, oakmoss and sandalwood combined with nice citrus and cucumber for a wonderful, refreshing wear. NOT an aquatic - a truly green scent with depth, very good projection and above-average longevity. A hidden gem from Yves Rocher.
    Comme Une Evidence Homme - wonderful Woody Spicy with a great integration of notes that lead you along a forest path to a beautiful, blooming rose in the heart. No fixatives here, so longevity is around 4 hours - but one to reapply and, mainly, enjoy the wonderful time you have with it. One of my personal favorites from the house. Antoine Maisondieu is the nose!
    Comme Une Evidence Homme Green - good, fresh, crisp. Less depth (no oakmoss) than Nature Homme - but a solid bottle of fragrance nonetheless. Great for the first hour (like a glass of ice cold spring water on hot day with a slice of lime and some crushed mint!) The patchouli, sage and wood offer some mid and base...but it fades rather soon. Nice and quality ingredients.

Many more to go through on the women's side...but that is my perspective of some males fragrances from the Yves Rocher house. Love their bath products and facial creams, masks, etc. I support this house highly for a lot of products other than fragrances - and even those listed are of surprisingly very good quality.
    My Top '10' : (In no particular order)

- Dolce & Gabbana: Pour Homme (vintage)
    - Paco Rabanne: Pour Homme (vintage)
    - Loewe: Esencia/Pour Homme/Solo/7
    - YSL: Opium Pour Homme Edp
    - Jacques Bogart: Bogart Pour Homme (2004)
    - MPG: Santal Noble
    - Guerlain: Vetiver
    - Amouage: Jubilation XXV
    - Hermes: Terre d'Hermes
    - YSL: Kouros (Fraicheur)

Have many of their men's fragrances in my collection from way back and like all of them.