Code of Conduct
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Default Re: Recommendations - Spicy, Exotic, Creamy Scent?

Clemmie - I've only smelled Aromatics Elixir on a test strip and it is definitely STRONG! Only one little spritz that didn't quite get on the paper accidentally scented over all the test strips I had in my hand. To me it smelled kinda like some parts of Mitsouko which was nice on me... sometimes. The woodiness was wonderful, but the "pissy diaper" wasn't so pleasant. I'll have to actually spray some on my skin on a day off as I've heard sooo many good things about it. Thank you.

Kotori, Pamplelune, and Indiscreet - Ya'll are just gonna get me out of the "box"(department store) and into the niches, aren't you?? I'm going to order some samples(a whole box load I'm sure!) my next pay day - about 2 weeks from now. Until then I'll be making a list. A loooooooooooooooooong list.

Divatologist - Issey smells kind of watery and light at first then settle into a clean wood(kind of cedary). It was perfect while I was going through my "please everybody but myself" 20s. Not loud, offensive, too sweet, nothing. Very watery and easy to wear(on me). Now I want to like my perfume and if I offend others, it's even better. (only partially kidding) So far I've gotten about 4 votes for Organza Indecence so I will definitely be spritzing that one on me during my next trip to the perfume shop. And Tom Ford's Black Orchid has had a lot of reviews from people calling it, "weird" "stinky" and sometimes "sexy" - just what I want! Thank you again.

castorpollux - That Marc Jacobs will be another spritzer for me. I like Gardenia and I looooove ginger! Along with cardamom it's tied for my favorite spice scent. Thank you for the rec.

nattygold - Le Baiser du Dragon sounds like another winner. I've been searching these forums and it's gotten a lot of compliments. It also has a lot of notes that I like - Amaretto, Gardenia, Musk, Cedar, Patchouli, and Amber. Thank you.

jillsy - Do be careful when you're driving. They(the people who will be abusing you in other languages) won't believe you when you say you don't understand what they're saying. At least that's what happened to me. They they started yelling louder and more s.l.o.w.l.y. so that I would understand because maybe I was just a "stupid woman." I can't wait to order my samples.

kanutta - wow! That really took me back! A friend's mom gave me a sample of Must de Cartier when I was 15 and I loooooved it. I didn't remember it until you just now mentioned it. Thank you, will be spraying that one generously and probably offending my daughter with my strong Cartier scent!

restlesssoul - I enjoyed Opium when I was younger(during my "Diva" days) but eventually something in it made me feel like I couldn't breather. But may try it again as I used to HATE Tabu with a passion, but now love it. Will also check out Anne Pliska.

So many helpful people on here. All I can say is !!!

Have you tried Black Cashmere? If you haven't - please do!
    I have about the same look as you, and Black Cashmere is my big favorit. Gosh, I love that parfum

Guerlain-lover - I still haven't tried Black Cashmere yet! It's been recommended a few times on this thread so I know it's imperative for me to spray myself the next time I see it. Thank you.

And JOY OH JOY!!! I found out that there's a store in Philly that sells Serge Lutens fragrances!!! So now as soon as I get a chance I can go there and sniff!! I'm sooooo excited! :bounce:

Ah, then you must smell his Chergui if they by any chance should have it.
    It's creamy, spicy,sweet...divine!

I have to second Kanutta's suggestion on Chergui here.It might be just what you're looking for..and also,if you're not afraid to try male scents give Egoiste by Chanel a try.(I know it's a Chanel,but I think you might like it) Last but not least Gaultier2 by Jean Paul Gaultier is also spicy and sweet.

Wink Re: Recommendations - Spicy, Exotic, Creamy Scent?

OK. Here is my 20c worth for spicy, creamy scents!!

Chanel Coromandel - absolute bliss
    Ava Luxe - Shisha, Love's Tru Bluish Light, Madame X, Ambre Antique & Ambra Tibet
    Hermessence - Ambre Narguille
    Kenzo - Flower Oriental (make sure is the Oriental)
    Montale - Sweet Oriental Dream

Good luck!!

Basenotes Institution

I second Divatologist recommendation for Black Orchid by Tom Ford. You can find this at Saks, Neimans, Bloomingdales...and I can't imagine your skin 'eating' Black Orchid up, it's pretty tenacious. And please TRY ON YOUR SKIN, smelling a test strip will not work for this one.
    Currently wearing: Bois des Îles by Chanel

kanutta & ineespenes - I will definitely try out Chergui! Egoiste and Gaultier2 should be easy to find. No I'm not afraid of "male" scents, but my daughter would be offended if she knew. If it turns out to be "the one" I'll have to hide the bottle from her.

Gumoosh - Thank you for the list. I've seen Kenzo, Chanel, and possibly Montale around Philly, so I will sniff those as well.

mikeperez23 - I will try to find Black Orchid! I'm learning that I DO need to test things out on my skin. Besides fragrances smelling rather generic and cold on the scent strips, sometimes the perfume has actually lasted longer on the stupid paper strip than it did on my skin. But I'm going to take your word that this will not be the case with Black Orchid. I've read a lot of interesting things about this fragrance, can't wait to try it out. Thank you.

I'm hoping to go a-sniffing this weekend. :bounce: I'll let you all know what happens!!!

Quote Originally Posted by nattygold View Post
    Welcome Virgo 75,
    I think you'd really like Le Baiser du Dragon edu parfum by Cartier. Great sillage and last a long time. It's got top notes of Amaretto, Gardenia and Neroli. The middle notes are Iris, Musk, Cedar, Bulgarian Rose and the base isf Vetiver, Patchouli, Benzoin and Amber,
    Bingo. My fiance is Colombian and gets mistaken for almost every non-"white"/non-"black" ethnicity on the planet. "The Dragon", as we call it, suits her wonderfully.

I also second Black Cashmere--VERY spicy and intense, too much so for many, especially as a steady diet, but I love it and wear it myself.

And I also second Flower by Kenzo Oriental.

--Steve
    Just because it happened to you doesn't make it interesting.

In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice, there is.

My sales thread: http://www.basenotes.net/threads/304...85#post2614885

Wanted: YSL Nu EdP

Steve - Thank you for the response.

lol, Your fiance sounds like me.
    "The Dragon" and Black Cashmere have been mentioned a lot on here which means they *must* be right - or at least insanely close to what I want. Seriously. I can't wait to smell them. Even more than that, I can't wait till I get paid next Friday so I can BUY something! It feels like an eternity.

I will check out Flower Oriental as well.

so any updates? have you tried some of the scent recs? tell us when you get a first impression please!

how rude was i?
    Welcome to Basenotes Virgo75!!

Not rude at all!
    Thank you for the welcome.

So far I've been so busy with work I haven't really had a chance to sniff as much as I would like. I also don't get paid until next Friday and I want to be able to $$BUY$$ something.

BUT today during lunch I stopped into a perfume shop. I didn't have time to really sniff how I'd like, but I saw a little bottle of Aromatics Elixir Perfume Spray which was recommended by Clemmie for "spicy exoticness." I bought it unsniffed because it was very inexpensive. I put it on, and well - I really love it! It isn't as spicy as I would like, but I DO find it exotic and it's staying on my skin as well. I started a thread on it earlier because it smells so lovely. I was confused because I read such horrible things about it. But it's lovely on me.

I'm still going to go hunting for a super spicy fragrance though.

Thank you for asking. I will keep everyone updated.

Quote Originally Posted by nattygold View Post
    Welcome Virgo 75,
    I think you'd really like Le Baiser du Dragon edu parfum by Cartier. Great sillage and last a long time. It's got top notes of Amaretto, Gardenia and Neroli. The middle notes are Iris, Musk, Cedar, Bulgarian Rose and the base isf Vetiver, Patchouli, Benzoin and Amber,

Ooh, yes! That one is both spicy AND creamy. Wonderful, gorgeous, sensuous fragrance (note to self: tomorrow's SOTD!). :-)
    --------------------------------------
    Quote Originally Posted by virgo75 View Post
    Not rude at all!
    Thank you for the welcome.

So far I've been so busy with work I haven't really had a chance to sniff as much as I would like. I also don't get paid until next Friday and I want to be able to $$BUY$$ something.

BUT today during lunch I stopped into a perfume shop. I didn't have time to really sniff how I'd like, but I saw a little bottle of Aromatics Elixir Perfume Spray which was recommended by Clemmie for "spicy exoticness." I bought it unsniffed because it was very inexpensive. I put it on, and well - I really love it! It isn't as spicy as I would like, but I DO find it exotic and it's staying on my skin as well. I started a thread on it earlier because it smells so lovely. I was confused because I read such horrible things about it. But it's lovely on me.

I'm still going to go hunting for a super spicy fragrance though.

Thank you for asking. I will keep everyone updated.
    Oh, I'm so glad you like it! I love it to bits! It's a new 'love' for me, but one I know I'm going to wear forever. :-)
    Last edited by Clemmie; 24th August 2007 at 03:16 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    "I don't know the key to success,
    but the key to failure is trying to please everybody."
    Bill Cosby

Quote Originally Posted by Clemmie View Post
    Oh, I'm so glad you like it! I love it to bits! It's a new 'love' for me, but one I know I'm going to wear forever. :-)
    Yes I do! I like it so much I'm following you around thanking you!

I've only worn it yesterday, last night, and today but I know it's a fragrance I will always keep "in stock." It's something I can imagine reaching for often. Even once I find a "super spicy, creamy, exotic" scent, I'm sure there will be days when I don't want to smell so spicy. I will probably be reaching for the AE on those days.

Thanks again.

Quote Originally Posted by virgo75 View Post
    Yes I do! I like it so much I'm following you around thanking you!

I've only worn it yesterday, last night, and today but I know it's a fragrance I will always keep "in stock." It's something I can imagine reaching for often. Even once I find a "super spicy, creamy, exotic" scent, I'm sure there will be days when I don't want to smell so spicy. I will probably be reaching for the AE on those days.

Thanks again.
    If you get the chance, try out Cartier's Le Baiser de Dragon as well. That's another 'warm, exotic, spicy' one, but I think it also has the creaminess you were looking for originally. It's not so huge on the patchouli, but it does have it, so you get the woodiness, but it's much less 'harsh' overall. Whenever I wear that, I always get comments (nice ones!). It's a fragrance I could never have worn when I was younger - same applies to AE actually - but now I'm revelling in having the confidence to wear such 'out there' fragrances as these. And the longevity with both of them is amazing. I look for longevity and sillage in all my fragrances now, so these two tick all the boxes for me.
    "I don't know the key to success,
    but the key to failure is trying to please everybody."
    Bill Cosby

Quote Originally Posted by Clemmie View Post
    If you get the chance, try out Cartier's Le Baiser de Dragon as well. That's another 'warm, exotic, spicy' one, but I think it also has the creaminess you were looking for originally. It's not so huge on the patchouli, but it does have it, so you get the woodiness, but it's much less 'harsh' overall. Whenever I wear that, I always get comments (nice ones!). It's a fragrance I could never have worn when I was younger - same applies to AE actually - but now I'm revelling in having the confidence to wear such 'out there' fragrances as these. And the longevity with both of them is amazing. I look for longevity and sillage in all my fragrances now, so these two tick all the boxes for me.
    Will definitely try out LBdD.

I don't get any harshness with AE at all! Maybe I have "freak" skin that brings even the strongest perfumes to their knees? On me, it's soooooo smooth. Smooth as a baby's butt wood highly polished with rose/amber oil. <-- My attempt at describing it as beautifully as some others on here. lol I'm not as good at describing scents, but it's really smooth.

I'm looking for longevity and sillage as well. I'm tired of spending money on something that smells good for 15, 30 minutes tops and then no one - not even me - can smell it.

I want to REEK! I want to smell so good it knocks people over something like this:
    1 block away - "What's that lovely smell?"
    1/2 block - "Oh, I think it's her. It's beautiful."
    6 ft - "Cough, cough"
    3ft - "choke. gag"
    1ft - :falls over dead: "but it was lovely........"

Wash, rinse, repeat - all day!

lol

If you happen to like Le Baiser du Dragon, there's a 90&#37; chance you'll likeLalique's Le Parfum as well. (IMHO).

castorpollux - thank you for another recommendation. I'm going to be going crazy when I finally get to go a-sniffing. I can't wait! Wanted to go this weekend, but the babysitter(grandmom ) is a little under the weather so I'll probably have to wait until next weekend. I guess it's better that way since I'll actually be able to buy something then.

*I put up and avi, just in case it helps. I know it's kind of hard for people to recommend a scent to someone based on appearance and you don't know what they look like.
    --------------------------------------
    Update:

I went to a perfume shop and tried a few out. Some recommended, some not related to this search for exotic & spicy at all.

Coco - Chanel - Hadn't tried this in a long time but recently read about it being "spicy & exotic." On me it is just "perfumey." No spice. Nothing special.(blasphemy, I know. but it smells better on others)

Hypnotic Poison - Rootbeer. Faded pretty quickly too.

Bvlgari Blv Notte - Sprayed. Couldn't smell anything. Sprayed again. A little baby powder. 5 minutes later - nothing.

Kenzo Jungle L'Elephant - Was very light on me. Turned into cinnamon. Then powder. Then gone. My skin hates me.

Cartier Le Baiser du Dragon - Started off very light and clean like soapy baby oil. A little spice, can't say which ones. Then back to baby oil. Then just more baby oil. It smelled nice though.

unrelated -
    Angel - One little tiny spritz and it was ON!!! First - chocolate/vanilla & men's cologne. After it died down a little later it wasn't as deadly, but still just men's cologne with a hint of sweetness(honey? chocolate? vanilla?) Had to try to wash it off because a.It was giving me a headache -and- b.I felt embarassed by how strong and bad it smelled on me. But you guys KNOW this stuff didn't wash off completely. It's not bad now though. I can only smell a little "men's cologne" if I put my nose to my wrist. When I got home wearing it, my daughter said to me, "You STINK!" lol I put my wrist to her nose and she scrunched up her face. "Eiuww!!!" But A++ for strength and sillage! Just wished it smelled good on me.

Kenzo Flower - Super duper strong baby powder. It's not bad really. I'm surprised at how long it lasts since it isn't spicy at all. Might fill in a blank.

That's it so far. Wish I had something better to report. Gonna try again maybe later this week or next week. Thank you for all the recommendations. I'll probably get around to trying all of them eventually.
    Last edited by virgo75; 27th August 2007 at 08:19 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost