Code of Conduct

Smile Recommendations - Spicy, Exotic, Creamy Scent?

I'm trying to find a perfume that fits *me*.
    By appearance I'm told I'm extremely exotic looking - tan skin, black almond shaped(almost Asian) eyes, long black hair, curvy. I'm mistaken for everything (Arab, Spanish, Thai, Morrocan, etc.) but what I am - biracial.

I would like to find a perfume that goes along with my appearance for my upcoming 32nd birthday. :-)

I love all types of perfumes but find that my skin eats up and spits out all but those with a deeper, spicier base. For an example of something *somewhat* near to what I'm looking for - I like Tabu, but it turns to pure cloves on me after an hour or so. But the initial blast of orange with spices and amber is wonderful and sexy. ;-) Also, DK Cashmere Mist EDP is creamy but doesn't go as "deep" as I would like and there's no spice or exotic "kick" to it.

Also, if it's possible to find it in a local department store or perfume shop(I'm in Philadelphia) that would be better. I've had bad experiences with online shopping. :-(

Thank you all so much for your help.

Default Re: Recommendations - Spicy, Exotic, Creamy Scent?

hey virgo75 welcome to basenotes

wow yeah i know what thats like... im mistaken for just about everything too (tan skin, brown almond shaped eyes, dark brown/black hair, curvy-ish)

i dont know if you have tried the new liberte by cacharel? it also has an initial blast of orange (quite sweet though) and after a ffew minutes the patchouli, vanilla and vetiver kick in so its less sweet... perhaps its too sweet anyway (i have a huge sweet tooth) should be easy to locate though

hmmm... spicy... madness by chopard? thats REALLY spicy stuff... errr... miss dior? i dunno im not that great at recommending perfumes. maybe they worth a test though

anyway good luck finding that perfect fragrance!

One of my favorite spicey scents is Givenchy Organza Indecence.

Welcome virgo75! I'm new around here too. I usually don't recommend, but here it goes. You may like D&G...The One. I didn't care for it, but it has some of the notes you are looking for. Also, Black Orchid..Tom Ford is a wonderful spicy frag. I love it in the winter. The spicy part makes me think of Dolce Vita and 7 Notes. You may want to try some men's frags as well. They tend to have that deep spice you are looking for. I would try Gucci Pour Homme. I love that stuff and it smells good on me. I sprayed it on my hand when I was looking for cologne for my S/O. I couldn't stop smelling it. The Prada frags have a kinda sweet and spicy thing going on too. Issey Miyake Le Feu D'Issey I think it was called. It came in a round orange bottle. I loved that stuff, but I haven't seen it in the stores. I get most of my online frags from Fragrance.net and haven't had any problems with them yet. Their perfumes smell wonderful and not old like I was worried about. They ship from NY/NJ and I'm in MD. They usually get my frags to me in 3 days at the most.

Happy Hunting!
    Diva is fartin in your perfume mist before you walk through it!! Walk slow and let it marinate......

Divatologist....Breaking perfume rules since 1969
    I smells goooooooooooood! Don't believe me? Come smell me!!

"The Divatologist Perfume Application Method" is now available!!! Learn It, Live It, Love It Click Here! Many Compliments Await You!

www.twitter.com/Divatologist www.divatologist.tumblr.com

yeah dolce vita sounds good... why didnt i think of that?

Welcomewelcome Virgo75 - and greetings from an ex-Paoli-ite!!!

You and I look nothing alike but we sure have the same taste in frags!!

If you find Tabu has no staying power, try Toujours Moi. It is creamier and fruitier and has good longevity.Casmir by Cabochard is another winner.Yu can get TM in most drugstores, and Casmir is in most department stores.

And even if you've had bad luck with on-line purchases go here:http://www.ava-luxe.com/ and get some samples. She's terrific (check out reviews here) and from her orientals try Madame X and Film Noir.

For more samples, many of us rely on http://theperfumedcourt.com/about_us.aspx

Happy hunting!!!
    Last edited by TaoLady; 20th August 2007 at 12:49 PM. Reason: Misspelling!!
    "The world is ruled by letting things take their course. It cannot be ruled by interfering." Lao Tze

Before you buy at a department store, I think you owe it to yourself to try niche fragrances.
    When you say spicy and strong, it brings to mind Serge Lutens.
    Aedes de Venustas in N.Y. sells seven samples for $15, including shipping.
    Here is a link to their Serge Lutens line:
    http://www.aedes.com/brand.php?brand_id=58&cat_id=1
    Here is a link to their sample ordering page:
    http://www.aedes.com/samples.php
    I promise you, a Serge Lutens fragrance will not disappear on your skin. (Probably everybody here is LOLing at that comment, having tried some of his sillage monsters.)
    My favorite spicy Serge Lutens is Ambre Sultan, but Arabie is also spicy and many people love it, too. Those should be your first two samples.
    If you decide to order samples from Aedes, post again, asking people here for more recommendations for the other five samples. (For example something from Lorenzo Villoresi, Creed, Parfums Delrae, Mona di Orio, Etro, or other fine houses that they carry.)
    Don't sell yourself short by being in a hurry to pick up something quick from the store.

Riviera dei Fiori near Sanremo and Alassio

Mandarin-Mandarine by SL?
    A, quales ego mane rosas procedere vidi!
    Nascebantur adhuc neque erat par omnibus aetas.

BN better than ever
    Blog Entries

Welcome, Virgo75! Be sure to keep us posted on your quest. We will all learn something from it. Embrace the journey!
    In a world where 6 million people are added each month, every landscape matters.

BURBERRY BRIT GOLD came to mind immediately!
    Last edited by tinker424; 20th August 2007 at 02:24 PM.

Frederic Malle "Noir Epices" is one I'll mention.
    "I have the simplest tastes. I am always satisfied with the best." - Oscar Wilde (1854-1900)

One of my favorites in this catagory is Bal A Versailles. And welcome to basenotes!
    "Woe to the one who's love of elixirs, grows into madness"
    :bounce:

First of all, have you tried Black Cashmere by Donna Karan? You mention that Cashmere Mist was close but somehow just not the one, and perhaps Black Cashmere might just do the trick.

YSL - NU
    Boucheron - INITIAL
    Alexander Mc Queen - KINGDOM
    Kenzo - Kenzo Jungle L'Elephant
    Serge Lutens - Rousse
    Lancôme - Magie Noire
    Guerlain - Samsara
    Boucheron - Boucheron
    Chloé - Narcisse
    Autumn treasures: Magnetism, Midnight Orchid, Tea for Two,
    Aimez-Moi, Chinatown, Dzongkha, Five O'Clock Au Gingembre,
    Cittá di Kyoto, Jasmin de Nuit, Jasmin Full, Kelly Calèche, Venezia,
    Douce Amère, Eau de Charlotte, Falling In Love, Chergui, Prada,
    Rose Alexandrie, Hypnôse, Omnia, Flowerbomb, Poivre Piquant,
    Cuir Beluga, 7:15am in Bali, Lolita Lempicka, Fumerie Turque,
    Datura Noir, Songes, Gaultier², L'Ombre Fauve, Kors, My Couture,
    Ligea "La Sirena", Red Aoud, Rose Absolu, Cèdre, Milk, No. 23

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Bending backwards is like falling in love, come bend with me

The mind is like a drunken monkey, it constantly jumps here and there.

Swami Niranjan-ananda

"Our life is shaped by our mind; we become what we think."
    Dhammapada

Thumbs up Re: Recommendations - Spicy, Exotic, Creamy Scent?

WOW! Thank you all so much for the warm welcome. :-)
    I've been lurking forever and I have to admit, I ended up admiring and being intimidated by everyone's knowledge of fragrance. But since I have an addiction to feed, no better place to find recommendations for "the good stuff." :-P

jillsy - you get mistaken for other things too huh? You haven't lived till you've been cursed out in Arabic for parking in the wrong spot... I haven't tried the new Cacharel or Madness, but will add them to my sniffing list.

tdi - I've heard/read good things about Organza scents. Namely them being spicy/sweet which is what I'm looking for, but didn't see them in the Macy's when I went a-sniffing on Saturday. Will try one of the many perfume shops next time.

Divatologist - Thank you for the recs(even though you don't normally rec). I like other D&G scents(even if they don't last on me) so will check out The One. The others I've seen, but for some reason didn't try. Whenever I ask for recs from sales people they give me scent strips that just aren't what I'm looking for(like CD Hypnotic Poison - which smells exactly like root beer to me). I'm not afraid of masculine scents and often end up offending my 13 year old daughter by wearing some masculine scents when I'm in the mood. Oh, is Le Feu D'Issey anything like Leu D'Issey? I wore that for years - until we stopped getting along a couple of years ago and now I'm on a hunt for something else...

Taolady - South Eastern PA in the house! ;-) Toujours Moi sounds good. As does Casmir. I've heard/read that Casmir smells something like Sand& Sable. I used to wear that as a teenager and always got compliments on it. People were surprised that I was wearing that cuz it didn't smell as good on others, but on me - spicy, exotic goodness. :-)

purplebird7 - You're right about not selling myself short by trying to pick something up at the store. I must have smelled all of Macy's on Saturday and didn't come up with anything that I even felt compelled to spray on my skin - except for CK Eternity because I used to wear it in High School. Aedes de Venustas - that's a great price for 7 samples. I'm gonna have to break down and order some "sillage monsters". That's what I need since everything disappears on me. Another reason why I never got into niche fragrances is because I'm deathly afraid of finding "the ONE" and then not being able to get it. :-P

nyneve - I'll add Mandarin to my sample list. Thank you for the rec. :-)

Quarry - I will definitely keep posted. I know how hard it is to find a perfume that is "you." Right now I've been lightly looking and buying at random for a couple of years since Issey and I fell out of grace with each other.

tinker424 - I've never smelled Burberry Brit Gold, but I have Burberry London(?) with the tacky cloth covering the bottle. I bought it at first sniff, but on me it smells good but artificial. It also doesn't last for more than 3 hours(edp). But I will give the Brit Gold a try.

Mattybumpkin - Fredric Malle fragrances have a huge rep so I'm going to have to break down and get a sample of this as well. I smelled a FM fragrance on someone a couple of weeks ago and it was divine! I don't remember what she said it was though. :-(

spicegirl - Thank you for the rec. I will probably see about a sample or try to sniff it in a perfume shop.

Whew! That was sooooo long. Sorry, but I appreciate everyone's input and wanted to respond to each poster.

Thank you again!

NO! NO! NO!

Try HYPNOTIC POISON! I have always imagined this one on someone 'like you'.
    “I am an excitable person who only understands life lyrically, musically, in whom feelings are much stronger as reason. I am so thirsty for the marvelous that only the marvelous has power over me. Anything I can not transform into something marvelous, I let go. Reality doesn't impress me. I only believe in intoxication, in ecstasy, and when ordinary life shackles me, I escape, one way or another. No more walls.”-Anais Nin

restlessoul - does Hypnotic Poison turn into something on the skin other than root beer? When I sniffed the strip it smelled like root beer. I had my daughter with me and she said it was making her thirsty. :-P But perhaps it's different on skin? OT: I LOOOOVE Anais Nin! I have all of her diaries and a few of her works of fiction plus a biography. I even bought a big jug of Mitsouko EDP unsniffed because of my obsession. I enjoy it(sometimes), but certain phases of it have me smelling like an old woman wearing a dirty diaper in the middle of a wooden school house built in a swamp. :-( But I can't. stop. wearing. it....

Agent Provocateur - Thank you for that list. :-) I've never sniffed Black Cashmere. I think I was scared away by some people saying they smelled "burning rubber" in there somewhere. But then again, there is some sort of plasticy, rubbery smell even in Cashmere Mist when I sniff closely. For the most part though, Cashmere Mist turns into sweet, warm, creamy BLAH on me. Nothing special, and I don't even care that I have it on. lol Haven't tried the rest, but I've worn Samasara before. Turns into a very faint wiff of incense on me. Pleasant, spicy, but very light on me. No one else can smell it. :-( I swear my skin is perfume repellant. Will sniff the others though, I've read about them and they look like what I'm looking for. Thank you.
    Last edited by virgo75; 20th August 2007 at 04:32 PM.

Wait!

Try L'Artisan. The brand offers so many spicy/sweet combos! You can find them at C.O. Bigelow, Neiman Marcus, and some other rarer stores such as, I think, Barney's... They also have their own boutiques in larger cities. On the other hand, many of us here at BN own them and would gladly provide you with samples...

I recommend the collection Les Espices de la Passion which includes Piment Brulant (red pepper), Safron Troublant (saffron and vanilla), and Poivre Piquant (pepper and honey). I also recommend Tubereuse as a creamy-sweet-exotic, Ambre Extreme, and Bois de Farine.

Check out http://www.artisanparfumeur.com/ for more info.

You might also try Les Exclusifs by Chanel, esp. No. 18. They are sold at Chanel boutiques.

I also concur with the Organza recommendation, especially Indecence.
    And he whose soul is flat -- the sky
    Will cave in on him by and by.

—from "Renascence" by Edna St. Vincent Millay

WELCOME virgo75
    If you are ordering samples from Aedes you MUST try:

IDOLE de LUBIN
    "...offers a spellbinding glimpse into the fantasy world created by talented perfumer Olivia Giacobetti. Inspired by voyages from Madagascar to Java, from Zanzibar to the Spice Islands, it is a smoldering composition conveying the exhilarating sense of discovery and the intoxicating beauty of the tropics. The fragrance unfolds as a series of vignettes, from the monsoon drenched jungle to the smoky incense of a sacrificial offering. The complex woody base of ebony, mahogany, red sandalwood and doum palm supports the opulent heart of saffton and leather. Bitter orange peel and rum absolute lend an effervescent element to this striking fragrance."
    LOVE LOVE LOVE it!!!
    Beauty is an ecstasy; it is as simple as hunger. There is really nothing to be said about it. It is like the perfume of a rose: you can smell it and that is all. W.SOMERSET MAUGHAM

Kotori - Adding L'Artisan to my list. I believe I've seen some around here. Perhaps in a perfume shop? - thinking out loud. Don't know if I can find the Chanels though. But the last few times I've worn Chanels I felt like I was putting on a suit that didn't fit me. They were beautiful, but smelled like someone else. Thank you.

Sudsy - Idole de Lubin sounds absolutely fabulous! Definitely adding to my samples list! And thank you for the warm welcome. :-)

Serge Lutens: Ambre Sultan, Rousse

Frederic Malle: Musc Ravageur

Miller Harris: L'Air de Rien

Ava Luxe (yes, mail order, but she is really excellent. I've ordered from her three times since coming to Basenotes, and I've only been a member since January!): Madame X, Shisha, Love's True Bluish Light...actually there are many spicy, gorgeous fragrances you may like. Just go to www.ava-luxe.com and have a look. You can order samples.

As for Hypnotic Poison, I personally love it, but you might like Midnight Poison which is coming next month - it has vanilla, patchouli and spice.

L'Artisan - I don't own any of these but I've tried some. I really liked Bois Farine which has a foody, spicy smell. Apparently longevity isnt' great with these, though.

And I can't believe no one's mentioned Caron. Try Tabac Blond, En Avion, Narcisse Noir, Poivre and Nuit de Noel. All classics and all wonderful, as well as classy.

I'm thinking of Aromatics Elixir for the spicy and exotic element, but I wouldn't describe it as 'creamy'. What it is though, is robust and long-lasting - and very unusual. It gets comments galore, and changes in subtle ways throughout the day. It's probably a love-it or hate-it fragrance, but if you love it, and can carry it, it may be what you're looking for.
    "I don't know the key to success,
    but the key to failure is trying to please everybody."
    Bill Cosby

Quote Originally Posted by virgo75 View Post
    Kotori - Adding L'Artisan to my list. I believe I've seen some around here. Perhaps in a perfume shop? - thinking out loud. Don't know if I can find the Chanels though. But the last few times I've worn Chanels I felt like I was putting on a suit that didn't fit me. They were beautiful, but smelled like someone else. Thank you.
    You're welcome! I know what you mean about the Chanels. I sometimes feel that way, too. The only ones I feel completely at home with are in the Allure family, but No. 18 is pretty creamy and deep, I think.

Definitely try out the L'Artisans, though.
    And he whose soul is flat -- the sky
    Will cave in on him by and by.

—from "Renascence" by Edna St. Vincent Millay

Divatologist - Thank you for the recs(even though you don't normally rec). I like other D&G scents(even if they don't last on me) so will check out The One. The others I've seen, but for some reason didn't try. Whenever I ask for recs from sales people they give me scent strips that just aren't what I'm looking for(like CD Hypnotic Poison - which smells exactly like root beer to me). I'm not afraid of masculine scents and often end up offending my 13 year old daughter by wearing some masculine scents when I'm in the mood. Oh, is Le Feu D'Issey anything like Leu D'Issey? I wore that for years - until we stopped getting along a couple of years ago and now I'm on a hunt for something else...

virgo75 I'm can't really remember what Leu D'issey smells like. I know that I smelled it. It didn't move me. So, I have forgotten what it smells like. The Le Feu D'Issey was good blend of the sweet and spicy and right now I can't think of anything to compare it to. The Organza Indecence by Givenchy is great also. I loved that in the winter. It's not easy to find though. I just hate when they discontinue a frag that I love. I'm taking notes as well. I love spicy perfume in the winter. Don't forget the Black Orchid...Tom Ford
    Diva is fartin in your perfume mist before you walk through it!! Walk slow and let it marinate......

Divatologist....Breaking perfume rules since 1969
    I smells goooooooooooood! Don't believe me? Come smell me!!

"The Divatologist Perfume Application Method" is now available!!! Learn It, Live It, Love It Click Here! Many Compliments Await You!

www.twitter.com/Divatologist www.divatologist.tumblr.com

I will have to mention one of my favorites at this time: Marc Jacobs The Perfume spray or even the EDP of that same fragrance.
    Both are creamy-buttery, sensual and with an added kick of spice with that soft ginger note. Gardenia coconut exotic combo of goodness. It even manages to be green at the same time with a fresh lily of the valley note as well. It's not too spicy but just the right amount and very elegant.
    Hope you like it.

Smile Re: Recommendations - Spicy, Exotic, Creamy Scent?

Welcome Virgo 75,
    I think you'd really like Le Baiser du Dragon edu parfum by Cartier. Great sillage and last a long time. It's got top notes of Amaretto, Gardenia and Neroli. The middle notes are Iris, Musk, Cedar, Bulgarian Rose and the base isf Vetiver, Patchouli, Benzoin and Amber,

Serge Lutens Santal Blanc comes to mind.
    Facebook group: Perfume Lovers in Singapore, Unite! (You don't have to be in Singapore to join.)

jillsy - you get mistaken for other things too huh? You haven't lived till you've been cursed out in Arabic for parking in the wrong spot... I haven't tried the new Cacharel or Madness, but will add them to my sniffing list.
    hehe ive had my l plates for ages but havent driven much... when i do im sure there will be a lot of abuse in all kinds of languages

i like miller harris... i dunno the fragrance indiscreet was recommending but they are really nice about samples... im awaiting mine

L'Air de Rien is the scent Miller Harris did for Jane Birkin.
    It's a vanilla/amber/musk mix - very warm, sexy and slightly dirty. I liked it a lot but as I have Ambre Sultan (amber) and Love's True Bluish Light (vanilla musk), I couldn't really justify getting another fragrance along similar lines.

Has Must de Cartier been mentionned...? I would think the parfum version of it would fit your bill. It's rich, spicy, not sure about creamy...I think it's really unigue; and the staying power is really great.

How about Opium? It's not creamy, but it's certainly Spicy and Exotic.

I recommend Anne Pliska, too.

Good-luck, dear!
    .................D
    “I am an excitable person who only understands life lyrically, musically, in whom feelings are much stronger as reason. I am so thirsty for the marvelous that only the marvelous has power over me. Anything I can not transform into something marvelous, I let go. Reality doesn't impress me. I only believe in intoxication, in ecstasy, and when ordinary life shackles me, I escape, one way or another. No more walls.”-Anais Nin

Clemmie - I've only smelled Aromatics Elixir on a test strip and it is definitely STRONG! Only one little spritz that didn't quite get on the paper accidentally scented over all the test strips I had in my hand. To me it smelled kinda like some parts of Mitsouko which was nice on me... sometimes. The woodiness was wonderful, but the "pissy diaper" wasn't so pleasant. I'll have to actually spray some on my skin on a day off as I've heard sooo many good things about it. Thank you.

Kotori, Pamplelune, and Indiscreet - Ya'll are just gonna get me out of the "box"(department store) and into the niches, aren't you?? I'm going to order some samples(a whole box load I'm sure!) my next pay day - about 2 weeks from now. Until then I'll be making a list. A loooooooooooooooooong list.

Divatologist - Issey smells kind of watery and light at first then settle into a clean wood(kind of cedary). It was perfect while I was going through my "please everybody but myself" 20s. Not loud, offensive, too sweet, nothing. Very watery and easy to wear(on me). Now I want to like my perfume and if I offend others, it's even better. (only partially kidding) So far I've gotten about 4 votes for Organza Indecence so I will definitely be spritzing that one on me during my next trip to the perfume shop. And Tom Ford's Black Orchid has had a lot of reviews from people calling it, "weird" "stinky" and sometimes "sexy" - just what I want! Thank you again.

castorpollux - That Marc Jacobs will be another spritzer for me. I like Gardenia and I looooove ginger! Along with cardamom it's tied for my favorite spice scent. Thank you for the rec.

nattygold - Le Baiser du Dragon sounds like another winner. I've been searching these forums and it's gotten a lot of compliments. It also has a lot of notes that I like - Amaretto, Gardenia, Musk, Cedar, Patchouli, and Amber. Thank you.

jillsy - Do be careful when you're driving. They(the people who will be abusing you in other languages) won't believe you when you say you don't understand what they're saying. At least that's what happened to me. They they started yelling louder and more s.l.o.w.l.y. so that I would understand because maybe I was just a "stupid woman." I can't wait to order my samples.

kanutta - wow! That really took me back! A friend's mom gave me a sample of Must de Cartier when I was 15 and I loooooved it. I didn't remember it until you just now mentioned it. Thank you, will be spraying that one generously and probably offending my daughter with my strong Cartier scent!

restlesssoul - I enjoyed Opium when I was younger(during my "Diva" days) but eventually something in it made me feel like I couldn't breather. But may try it again as I used to HATE Tabu with a passion, but now love it. Will also check out Anne Pliska.

So many helpful people on here. All I can say is !!!

Have you tried Black Cashmere? If you haven't - please do!
    I have about the same look as you, and Black Cashmere is my big favorit. Gosh, I love that parfum

Guerlain-lover - I still haven't tried Black Cashmere yet! It's been recommended a few times on this thread so I know it's imperative for me to spray myself the next time I see it. Thank you.

And JOY OH JOY!!! I found out that there's a store in Philly that sells Serge Lutens fragrances!!! So now as soon as I get a chance I can go there and sniff!! I'm sooooo excited! :bounce:

Ah, then you must smell his Chergui if they by any chance should have it.
    It's creamy, spicy,sweet...divine!

I have to second Kanutta's suggestion on Chergui here.It might be just what you're looking for..and also,if you're not afraid to try male scents give Egoiste by Chanel a try.(I know it's a Chanel,but I think you might like it) Last but not least Gaultier2 by Jean Paul Gaultier is also spicy and sweet.

Wink Re: Recommendations - Spicy, Exotic, Creamy Scent?

OK. Here is my 20c worth for spicy, creamy scents!!

Chanel Coromandel - absolute bliss
    Ava Luxe - Shisha, Love's Tru Bluish Light, Madame X, Ambre Antique & Ambra Tibet
    Hermessence - Ambre Narguille
    Kenzo - Flower Oriental (make sure is the Oriental)
    Montale - Sweet Oriental Dream

Good luck!!

Basenotes Institution

I second Divatologist recommendation for Black Orchid by Tom Ford. You can find this at Saks, Neimans, Bloomingdales...and I can't imagine your skin 'eating' Black Orchid up, it's pretty tenacious. And please TRY ON YOUR SKIN, smelling a test strip will not work for this one.

kanutta & ineespenes - I will definitely try out Chergui! Egoiste and Gaultier2 should be easy to find. No I'm not afraid of "male" scents, but my daughter would be offended if she knew. If it turns out to be "the one" I'll have to hide the bottle from her.

Gumoosh - Thank you for the list. I've seen Kenzo, Chanel, and possibly Montale around Philly, so I will sniff those as well.

mikeperez23 - I will try to find Black Orchid! I'm learning that I DO need to test things out on my skin. Besides fragrances smelling rather generic and cold on the scent strips, sometimes the perfume has actually lasted longer on the stupid paper strip than it did on my skin. But I'm going to take your word that this will not be the case with Black Orchid. I've read a lot of interesting things about this fragrance, can't wait to try it out. Thank you.

I'm hoping to go a-sniffing this weekend. :bounce: I'll let you all know what happens!!!

Quote Originally Posted by nattygold View Post
    Welcome Virgo 75,
    I think you'd really like Le Baiser du Dragon edu parfum by Cartier. Great sillage and last a long time. It's got top notes of Amaretto, Gardenia and Neroli. The middle notes are Iris, Musk, Cedar, Bulgarian Rose and the base isf Vetiver, Patchouli, Benzoin and Amber,
    Bingo. My fiance is Colombian and gets mistaken for almost every non-"white"/non-"black" ethnicity on the planet. "The Dragon", as we call it, suits her wonderfully.

I also second Black Cashmere--VERY spicy and intense, too much so for many, especially as a steady diet, but I love it and wear it myself.

And I also second Flower by Kenzo Oriental.

--Steve
    Just because it happened to you doesn't make it interesting.

In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice, there is.

My sales thread: http://www.basenotes.net/threads/304...85#post2614885

Wanted: YSL Nu EdP

Steve - Thank you for the response.

lol, Your fiance sounds like me.
    "The Dragon" and Black Cashmere have been mentioned a lot on here which means they *must* be right - or at least insanely close to what I want. Seriously. I can't wait to smell them. Even more than that, I can't wait till I get paid next Friday so I can BUY something! It feels like an eternity.

I will check out Flower Oriental as well.

so any updates? have you tried some of the scent recs? tell us when you get a first impression please!

how rude was i?
    Welcome to Basenotes Virgo75!!

Not rude at all!
    Thank you for the welcome.

So far I've been so busy with work I haven't really had a chance to sniff as much as I would like. I also don't get paid until next Friday and I want to be able to $$BUY$$ something.

BUT today during lunch I stopped into a perfume shop. I didn't have time to really sniff how I'd like, but I saw a little bottle of Aromatics Elixir Perfume Spray which was recommended by Clemmie for "spicy exoticness." I bought it unsniffed because it was very inexpensive. I put it on, and well - I really love it! It isn't as spicy as I would like, but I DO find it exotic and it's staying on my skin as well. I started a thread on it earlier because it smells so lovely. I was confused because I read such horrible things about it. But it's lovely on me.

I'm still going to go hunting for a super spicy fragrance though.

Thank you for asking. I will keep everyone updated.

Quote Originally Posted by nattygold View Post
    Welcome Virgo 75,

Ooh, yes! That one is both spicy AND creamy. Wonderful, gorgeous, sensuous fragrance (note to self: tomorrow's SOTD!). :-)
    --------------------------------------
    Not rude at all!
    Thank you for the welcome.

So far I've been so busy with work I haven't really had a chance to sniff as much as I would like. I also don't get paid until next Friday and I want to be able to $$BUY$$ something.

BUT today during lunch I stopped into a perfume shop. I didn't have time to really sniff how I'd like, but I saw a little bottle of Aromatics Elixir Perfume Spray which was recommended by Clemmie for "spicy exoticness." I bought it unsniffed because it was very inexpensive. I put it on, and well - I really love it! It isn't as spicy as I would like, but I DO find it exotic and it's staying on my skin as well. I started a thread on it earlier because it smells so lovely. I was confused because I read such horrible things about it. But it's lovely on me.

I'm still going to go hunting for a super spicy fragrance though.

Thank you for asking. I will keep everyone updated.
    Oh, I'm so glad you like it! I love it to bits! It's a new 'love' for me, but one I know I'm going to wear forever. :-)
    Last edited by Clemmie; 24th August 2007 at 03:16 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    Bill Cosby

Quote Originally Posted by Clemmie View Post
    Oh, I'm so glad you like it! I love it to bits! It's a new 'love' for me, but one I know I'm going to wear forever. :-)
    Yes I do! I like it so much I'm following you around thanking you!

I've only worn it yesterday, last night, and today but I know it's a fragrance I will always keep "in stock." It's something I can imagine reaching for often. Even once I find a "super spicy, creamy, exotic" scent, I'm sure there will be days when I don't want to smell so spicy. I will probably be reaching for the AE on those days.

Thanks again.

Yes I do! I like it so much I'm following you around thanking you!

I've only worn it yesterday, last night, and today but I know it's a fragrance I will always keep "in stock." It's something I can imagine reaching for often. Even once I find a "super spicy, creamy, exotic" scent, I'm sure there will be days when I don't want to smell so spicy. I will probably be reaching for the AE on those days.

Thanks again.
    If you get the chance, try out Cartier's Le Baiser de Dragon as well. That's another 'warm, exotic, spicy' one, but I think it also has the creaminess you were looking for originally. It's not so huge on the patchouli, but it does have it, so you get the woodiness, but it's much less 'harsh' overall. Whenever I wear that, I always get comments (nice ones!). It's a fragrance I could never have worn when I was younger - same applies to AE actually - but now I'm revelling in having the confidence to wear such 'out there' fragrances as these. And the longevity with both of them is amazing. I look for longevity and sillage in all my fragrances now, so these two tick all the boxes for me.
    Bill Cosby

Quote Originally Posted by Clemmie View Post
    If you get the chance, try out Cartier's Le Baiser de Dragon as well. That's another 'warm, exotic, spicy' one, but I think it also has the creaminess you were looking for originally. It's not so huge on the patchouli, but it does have it, so you get the woodiness, but it's much less 'harsh' overall. Whenever I wear that, I always get comments (nice ones!). It's a fragrance I could never have worn when I was younger - same applies to AE actually - but now I'm revelling in having the confidence to wear such 'out there' fragrances as these. And the longevity with both of them is amazing. I look for longevity and sillage in all my fragrances now, so these two tick all the boxes for me.
    Will definitely try out LBdD.

I don't get any harshness with AE at all! Maybe I have "freak" skin that brings even the strongest perfumes to their knees? On me, it's soooooo smooth. Smooth as a baby's butt wood highly polished with rose/amber oil. <-- My attempt at describing it as beautifully as some others on here. lol I'm not as good at describing scents, but it's really smooth.

I'm looking for longevity and sillage as well. I'm tired of spending money on something that smells good for 15, 30 minutes tops and then no one - not even me - can smell it.

I want to REEK! I want to smell so good it knocks people over something like this:
    1 block away - "What's that lovely smell?"
    1/2 block - "Oh, I think it's her. It's beautiful."
    6 ft - "Cough, cough"
    3ft - "choke. gag"
    1ft - :falls over dead: "but it was lovely........"

Wash, rinse, repeat - all day!

lol

If you happen to like Le Baiser du Dragon, there's a 90&#37; chance you'll likeLalique's Le Parfum as well. (IMHO).

castorpollux - thank you for another recommendation. I'm going to be going crazy when I finally get to go a-sniffing. I can't wait! Wanted to go this weekend, but the babysitter(grandmom ) is a little under the weather so I'll probably have to wait until next weekend. I guess it's better that way since I'll actually be able to buy something then.

*I put up and avi, just in case it helps. I know it's kind of hard for people to recommend a scent to someone based on appearance and you don't know what they look like.
    --------------------------------------
    Update:

I went to a perfume shop and tried a few out. Some recommended, some not related to this search for exotic & spicy at all.

Coco - Chanel - Hadn't tried this in a long time but recently read about it being "spicy & exotic." On me it is just "perfumey." No spice. Nothing special.(blasphemy, I know. but it smells better on others)

Hypnotic Poison - Rootbeer. Faded pretty quickly too.

Bvlgari Blv Notte - Sprayed. Couldn't smell anything. Sprayed again. A little baby powder. 5 minutes later - nothing.

Kenzo Jungle L'Elephant - Was very light on me. Turned into cinnamon. Then powder. Then gone. My skin hates me.

Cartier Le Baiser du Dragon - Started off very light and clean like soapy baby oil. A little spice, can't say which ones. Then back to baby oil. Then just more baby oil. It smelled nice though.

unrelated -
    Angel - One little tiny spritz and it was ON!!! First - chocolate/vanilla & men's cologne. After it died down a little later it wasn't as deadly, but still just men's cologne with a hint of sweetness(honey? chocolate? vanilla?) Had to try to wash it off because a.It was giving me a headache -and- b.I felt embarassed by how strong and bad it smelled on me. But you guys KNOW this stuff didn't wash off completely. It's not bad now though. I can only smell a little "men's cologne" if I put my nose to my wrist. When I got home wearing it, my daughter said to me, "You STINK!" lol I put my wrist to her nose and she scrunched up her face. "Eiuww!!!" But A++ for strength and sillage! Just wished it smelled good on me.

Kenzo Flower - Super duper strong baby powder. It's not bad really. I'm surprised at how long it lasts since it isn't spicy at all. Might fill in a blank.

That's it so far. Wish I had something better to report. Gonna try again maybe later this week or next week. Thank you for all the recommendations. I'll probably get around to trying all of them eventually.
    Last edited by virgo75; 27th August 2007 at 08:19 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost