Code of Conduct

Default A ramble about DKNY Men and maple

A few days ago I was going through my drobe and I found something that nobody talks about much these days, DKNY Men. The one in the tall grey skyscraper bottle, with that damn cap that wants to always fall off. I remember buying it for sentimental reasons on 9/17/01 - a week after 9/11. Like everyone, I had New York City on my mind at that time, and that was probably one of the reasons why I picked it up. I remember wearing it that night to the first baseball game to resume after the tragedy-- my St. Louis Cardinals at home versus the Milwaukee Brewers (I think). I remember the late great Jack Buck reading his impromptu poem and everyone in the stadium was crying openly. So for me, this fragrance will always be linked with memories of late 2001.

Sentimental reasons aside, I really liked DKNY Men. It got slagged off by many as designer dreck and not being as good as DK Fuel or whatever it's called. I think it's more original than it ever got credit for. The topnotes are like clean laundry with a berry/lemon ice twist. There's a note similar to the "petrol" note that people find in SMW. But what always gets me is that red maple base note. You don't see many fragrances that use a maple note, and I think it really gives the scent some character. I got tons of compliments when I used to wear it regularly. I'm going to start wearing it again.

Anyway, here's where the ramble turns a corner...

I was thinking about that maple note in DKNY for a few days and then two nights ago I was at work and I sliced a celery plant in half. The juice got all over my hands and I was surprised at just how strong it smelled, how long it lasted, and how nice it was. But a BIG part of the smell of the celery was a maple-like note. Then I started playing a kind of six degrees of celery/maple. I've noticed that Odeur 53 smells like celery and sometimes (and I'm not the only one to notice) maple syrup. I've always thought that B*Men smells like maple syrup, and I've thought that parts of B*Men resemble Yatagan which has a celery seed note.

Have any of you ever noticed a relationship between the scent profiles of celery and maple?

Default Re: A ramble about DKNY Men and maple

John Varvatos reminds me a little bit of DK Men...

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by Indie_Guy View Post
    Have any of you ever noticed a relationship between the scent profiles of celery and maple?
    For clarification: are you talking about a maple note (like the wood of a maple tree) or a maple syrup note (woody sweet syrupy)? Or both?

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    For clarification: are you talking about a maple note (like the wood of a maple tree) or a maple syrup note (woody sweet syrupy)? Or both?
    Somewhere in between. When it comes to celery it reminds me of maple syrup. I googled maple and celery, and I found that fenugreek has as smell that is reminiscent of both maple syrup and celery...

Basenotes Institution

OK - honestly, I've never made a comparison in scents of maple/maple syrup/celery. Next time I'm near these three scents, I'll be taking mental notes.

I get very little celery from any scents, except perhaps Route du Vetiver which smells like roots (duh). Maple syrup - the first scent that comes to mind is Crypt. I think that crazy company The Goth Rosary makes this, and I swear it smells like Aunt Jemima pancake syrup.

Now, fenugreek. This is featured very prominently in Santal Blanc by Serge Lutens. Have you sniffed this? I think fenugreek is also going to be in that new CdG scent - one of the Luxe's that got scentemental all hot-and-bothered (smile). But I remember reading about fenugreek as a plant/herb all on it's own. Not sure what fenugreek has to do with celery and/or maple syrup??

Unforunately I am unable to pick out notes unless they are glaringly obvius, so I will leave comments on maple / celery etc to those better qualified.

A comment on DKNY Men: It is quite underrated I believe.
    While far from being a masterpiece or a classic, It is easy to wear and quite beautiful at times.

Something about its drydown remids me of Creed MI to some extent. For lack of a better desciption its "watermelony"