Code of Conduct

Default Dzing! Went The Strings Of My Heart

Just re-discovered Dzing! after not having spritzed it on in almost 8 months.
    (I often forget how much I love the powdery, vanilla-ish, rubber-coated notes in this much loved/much reviled L'Artisan gem.)

Although I'm wearing PdN's New York today, Dzing! will most likely be my SOTD tomorrow, and a far more frequent choice in the weeks and months to come. I discovered, too, my review of Dzing! from last November (i.e., when I first stumbled across it in a swap). Here it is:

"Once upon a time, in a land far, far away, there lived a fair princess.

One cold and foggy night, the princess walked around the castle walls wearing her brother's galoshes. Upon returning home, the fair princess doffed the galoshes and placed them in front of the fire.

She waited and she waited and she waited for the boots to finally get warm on the hearth. Once the galoshes were toasty, the princess walked over and smelled them to make certain they were thoroughly dry. They were, in fact, quite dry by now, but oh! how they stank of black rubber and leather. Well, the clever princess simply picked up a bottle of Worth's Je Reviens and poured its contents straight into those royal rain boots.

The smell that arose from her brother's galoshes was so completely annoying and yet so utterly intoxicating at the same time that the princess knew what she had to do. She called the royal perfumer in to duplicate this most bizarre of scents, and thus Dzing! was born.

The moral of this story is simple: don't pour Je Reviens into hot rubber and leather galoshes unless you want to smell Dzing!

(Fairy tales aside, I happen to love Dzing!, but it's much in the same way that I love Rob Zombie movies and gefilte fish. That is to say, I have to really be in the mood for it. Dzing! is Bulgari Black's somewhat cruel and very bohemian cousin, and he bears deep grudges against anyone who's ever worn Tommy.)"
    Last edited by tvlampboy; 20th August 2007 at 01:39 PM.

Peggy: "Right now, we have to get to the mental institution. Something terrible has happened."
    Latrelle: "What?"
    Peggy: "Brother Boy has tried to kill himself. He jumped out of his bedroom window."
    Latrelle: "Isn't he only on the second floor?"
    Peggy: "Yes, but he hit his head on a lawn gnome."
    Fr. Sordid Lives: The Series
    "Live, live, live! Life is a banquet, and most poor suckers are starving to death."
    Auntie Mame
    [/B]

Basenotes Institution

Default Re: Dzing! Went The Strings Of My Heart

I have only sampled Dzing once and it definitely is on my 'To Buy' list. I was expecting the more livestock/barnyard animal notes that other reviews mentioned, but what I didn't expect was the 'cardboard' note (like a fresh cardboard box, right from the factory, pulpy, dry, perhaps a little ink) mixed with the animalic notes gave it the desired strange effect.

I can't believe L'Artisan discontinued this. I must buy my bottle soon.

The other day I was polishing my chelsea boots, and my girlfriend, out of nowhere, announced how much she loves Dzing.
    In retrospect, it really wasn't "out of nowhere" at all.
    Last edited by Joel_Cairo; 20th August 2007 at 07:13 PM.

As much as I love it, I just posted an extra bottle that I have on the Swap Board. (With 60+ bottles and many decants in my motley collection of frags, the last thing I need is duplicates -- even if I do love the scent. I might make an exception for Patou pour Homme or Versailles pour Homme by Jean Desprez, but otherwise . . .)

Peggy: "Right now, we have to get to the mental institution. Something terrible has happened."
    Latrelle: "What?"
    Peggy: "Brother Boy has tried to kill himself. He jumped out of his bedroom window."
    Latrelle: "Isn't he only on the second floor?"
    Peggy: "Yes, but he hit his head on a lawn gnome."
    Fr. Sordid Lives: The Series
    "Live, live, live! Life is a banquet, and most poor suckers are starving to death."
    Auntie Mame
    [/B]

Quote Originally Posted by tvlampboy View Post
    As much as I love it, I just posted an extra bottle that I have on the Swap Board. (With 60+ bottles and many decants in my motley collection of frags, the last thing I need is duplicates -- even if I do love the scent. I might make an exception for Patou pour Homme or Versailles pour Homme by Jean Desprez, but otherwise . . .)
    I would stick with the extra bottle, seeing that this has been discontinued. Dzing! is the best of L'artisan as far as I am concerned; the sawdust leather note smoothed out by balsam ginger and tonka is very addictive. The only way it could be improved is with an EDP version, which would remove the trademark L'artisan watery nature of the scent.
    -

Red face Re: Dzing! Went The Strings Of My Heart

Dzing is a wonderful mellow leather fragrance with smells from the woods and fields thrown in - very earthy and warm. I love it. But every time I wear it I find I am fighting the marketing build up of the fragrance to script our expectations to be something its not.

The worst thing about Dzing! was the marketing "story" created around the fragrance. L'Artisan tells us the inspiration for the fragrance was the circus and so they put a circus animal (tiger) on the label of the bottle. Many of the reviews of Dzing were always referring to circus animals and barnyard fecal smells etc. But how could you fault anyone for this comparison because this is what L'Artisan prepared us to think when we smell it. It's what comes to mind every time I pick it up.

The name Dzing prepares you for something with tartness or piercing quality - zing - while this fragrance is very mellow, sweet and warm low notes - no zing at all! Confusion. I guess its the dzing of the tiger jumping through a circus hoop or something that led to the naming. But the name does not imply what the scent is about at all. The name doesn't connect us to the idea of this fragrance with appropriate words.

If Dzing had been named something more masculine referring to leather or rural outdoors, or travelling in a rugged place, down a long road etc. The entire image as well as the opinions of Dzing would be different. If this same fragrance had the name "Cuir Ottomans" like the nice Parfum d Empire frag, or "Yatagan" from Caron (now that's a name) the expectations for what it would smell like would change the opinion of the fragrance totally.

I like it a lot. Ignore the name and circus barnyard idea and you have a great open leather fragrance.

Purchased the big bottle of Dzing today. No small bottles available, and the 100ml bottles are getting harder to come by, according to my source. She also advises me that L'Artisan has discontinued several of her best sellers in the past. I'm at a loss to explain why houses discontinue fragrances that among the favorites of the buying public.

Is it purely a revenue decision, or is there another plan at work?

Quote Originally Posted by TricsMan View Post
    Is it purely a revenue decision, or is there another plan at work?
    L'Artisan is one of the major niche houses which has discontinued too many of its fragrances.

Yes there are more plans to make money .. the organic line, home perfume diffusers, and the "Exceptional harvest" limited editions.

Where's my L'Artisan car freshener ?
    -

Where did you guys hear that Dzing was discontinued? I was just at their Chicago store and they had plenty of bottles. On their website, they have plenty too.
    "I exist for myself, and for those to whom my unquenchable thirst for freedom gives everything, but also for everyone, since insofar as I am able to love - I love everyone. Of noble hearts, I am the noblest - and the most generous of those that yearn to give love in return. - I am a human being, I love death and I love life."

Egon Schiele - Self-Potrait

My classics: Dior Homme EdT, YSL Rive Gauche PH, Helmut Lang Cuiron, L'Occitane Neroli (vintage), Davidoff Zino, L'Occitane Eau des Baux

http://www.basenotes.net/wardrobe/2976

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by manicboy View Post
    Where did you guys hear that Dzing was discontinued? I was just at their Chicago store and they had plenty of bottles. On their website, they have plenty too.
    This news came when we had the Emergency boards and it was discussed that the woman who wrote this on her blog actually works at the Chicago L'Artisan store, so she knew what she was talking about: http://www.aromascope.com/wp/2007/06...well-to-dzing/

If you wanna read about us bitching and moaning about the discontinuation of Dzing, here's the link: http://www.emergency.basenotes.net/f...g/m-1183149579

I really enjoy the smell of Dzing, but I wish L'artisan made a Dzing Extreme because of the current one's lack of sillage and longevity on me.

Banned

Prompted by the "Pick tomorrow's SoTD thread" I wore Dzing! today. Gosh, I forgot how good Dzing! is. Definitely one of Giacobetti's best. Anyone else wear Dzing lately?

If they made leather bandaids, this is what they'd smell like.
    Last edited by teger; 27th May 2011 at 06:41 PM.

This is a wonderful scent IMO.

This is an old thread! Dzing isn't discontinued.

It's okay - but its quite tame. Lasts about an half an hour on my skin.

Quote Originally Posted by teger View Post

If they made leather bandaids, this is what they'd smell like.
    agree Awesome fragrance!

Discover my Guest Reviewer Of The Day here

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    This is a wonderful scent IMO.
    ditto , is my SOTD and just thinking about ordering one bottle

great work!!
    my current top five (always in transition)

Dior Eau Noire
    HdP 1725 Casanova
    eau de gloire parfum d'empire
    Dia man Amouage
    comme des garšons man 2

I wear it frequently around the house in small amounts because I'm trying to conserve my sample. I should just buy a bottle already...it's my favorite L'Artisan.
    "It's not what you look like when you're doing what you're doing; it's what you're doing when you're doing what you look like you're doing."