Code of Conduct
Results 1 to 15 of 15
  1. #1

    Question Escada - Magnestism For Men

    Hi there,

    I'm new to the forum so hello everyone! Hoping to stick around and improve my collection of fragrances.

    I have a the following question. Does anyone own Magnetism for Men by Escada, and what are peoples opinions on it?
    I'm looking at purchasing this one next as I want something 'different' and from reviews this seems to fit the bill. I've always went for the common fragrances, the ones that are very mainstream and worn by pretty much everyone, and it's getting annoying!

    I havent smelt it and would be buying it off the internet going on the strength of the reviews I've read and hopefully the opinions of yourselves!

    I'm 22 btw.

    *Hopes for good views on it!*

    Thanks in advance guys and girls.

    p.s - Also looking at buying Dunhill Edition, again I havent smelt this one so any opinions on this also would be great.
    Last edited by JoelJoel; 20th August 2007 at 06:32 PM.

  2. #2

    Default Re: Escada - Magnestism For Men

    It is one of my favorite scents, mainly because it is so light, meaning it won't choke you to death. And while being light, it still holds a nice sillage. I am not generally a good fan of leather notes, but, it really is done quite well in this scent.

    You really should try to obtain a sample for this one. Even being overseas, a sample of this fragrance should not be hard to find. I say this because it isn't the most maculine scent especially when you see that it contains a peppertree note, it may give you a wrong impression. It can be pulled off by a female for sure, but, it isn't too feminine.

  3. #3

    Default Re: Escada - Magnestism For Men

    Quote Originally Posted by silk4ever View Post
    It is one of my favorite scents, mainly because it is so light, meaning it won't choke you to death. And while being light, it still holds a nice sillage. I am not generally a good fan of leather notes, but, it really is done quite well in this scent.

    You really should try to obtain a sample for this one. Even being overseas, a sample of this fragrance should not be hard to find. I say this because it isn't the most maculine scent especially when you see that it contains a peppertree note, it may give you a wrong impression. It can be pulled off by a female for sure, but, it isn't too feminine.
    Thank you for your reply!

    In a few reviews I have read it's been mentioned that it is very similar to Armani Black Code.. would you say this is a fair comment?
    I will try and get a sample of it first but I have never seen this in the shops in my area.

  4. #4

    Default Re: Escada - Magnestism For Men

    Quote Originally Posted by JoelJoel View Post
    Thank you for your reply!

    In a few reviews I have read it's been mentioned that it is very similar to Armani Black Code.. would you say this is a fair comment?
    I will try and get a sample of it first but I have never seen this in the shops in my area.

    I think it's close to Dunhill Desire rather than Armani Code. I own both, and prefer Magnetism as I find Code too cloying.

    Dunhill Edition, for me, is on top 5 out of my 100 bottles.
    Current Top 5

    1. Creed Aventus
    2. A*Men Pure Malt
    3. L'instant Extreme
    4. Nasomatto Duro
    5. CDG - Kyoto

  5. #5

    Default Re: Escada - Magnestism For Men

    It's a somewhat synthetic scent, granted, but it's really very nice for the price. I've worn samples of Magnetism before and really enjoyed them -- and have gotten several compliments on the scent. Still, I haven't been gung-ho enough about it to go out and buy a bottle. (I have sixty odd bottles of my own, not counting "swap stock" bottles, and a frag has to be pretty darned special to merit a place on my already crowded "stinkum" tray anymore.) Still, I should think that Magnetism would be a great scent for the workplace and/or for casual outings, as it's a) inexpensive, b) pleasant without being overpowering and c) far less "in your face" than the delicious but VERY STRONG Escada for Men.

    Peggy: "Right now, we have to get to the mental institution. Something terrible has happened."
    Latrelle: "What?"
    Peggy: "Brother Boy has tried to kill himself. He jumped out of his bedroom window."
    Latrelle: "Isn't he only on the second floor?"
    Peggy: "Yes, but he hit his head on a lawn gnome."
    Fr. Sordid Lives: The Series
    *****
    "Live, live, live! Life is a banquet, and most poor suckers are starving to death."
    Auntie Mame
    [/B]

  6. #6

    Default Re: Escada - Magnestism For Men

    Have you by any chance smelled Prada Man? The drydown on Magnetism is very similiar to me, even though the topnotes are poles apart. Both are sweet but light, transparent, and mostly synthetic smelling, but not in a totally bad way. Anyway, it has always been one of my most complimented fragrances, so if that's what you're after, go for it. However, beware the weird fruity/metallic/grape soda topnotes. They stick around for quite awhile, and if you can't learn to accept them, they could be a deal breaker.
    "It's not what you look like when you're doing what you're doing; it's what you're doing when you're doing what you look like you're doing."

  7. #7

    Default Re: Escada - Magnestism For Men

    Quote Originally Posted by JoelJoel View Post
    Thank you for your reply!

    In a few reviews I have read it's been mentioned that it is very similar to Armani Black Code.. would you say this is a fair comment?
    I will try and get a sample of it first but I have never seen this in the shops in my area.
    Nope, not at all. Armani is definitely stronger, more masculine, and it's pepper note is more prevalent (at least to me it is).

    I know websites such as Perfumebay.com offers international shipping, but, it's expensive and at that price, you might as well buy the bottle. It's a safe bet because there is a good chance you won't hate it. But, because it's so light and synthetic, you might not be "wowed" by it either.
    Last edited by silk4ever; 21st August 2007 at 05:56 PM.

  8. #8

    Default Re: Escada - Magnestism For Men

    Quote Originally Posted by JoelJoel View Post

    *Hopes for good views on it!*
    ah geez, then i won't talk about it...
    let's just say i've never made friends with it...

  9. #9

    Default Re: Escada - Magnestism For Men

    Well, It's indeed different...
    In my humble opinion It's pretty annoying! It smells strange and its notes are discordant in some way.
    I didn't like it. My wife didn't like it...

  10. #10

    Default Re: Escada - Magnestism For Men

    It smelled like sweet grape candy to me.
    [FONT=georgia, bookman old style, palatino linotype, book antiqua, palatino, trebuchet ms, helvetica, garamond, sans-serif, arial, verdana, avante garde, century gothic, comic sans ms, times, times new roman, serif]“Enjoy the little things, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.”[/FONT]

    ~ Robert Brault

  11. #11

    Default Re: Escada - Magnestism For Men

    Magnetism is a woody-oriental scent, which is beautiful, but a must try before buy! because it is something different, also it gets different reactions from people around.
    Strongest notes for me are saffron an leather, interestingly I don't like them, but this one is well blended. I admit that it could be reminiscent of Prada because of the saffron note they have in common. But Armani Code is something smoky and totally different imhO!

  12. #12

    Default Re: Escada - Magnestism For Men

    I'm 21 and I own and like it a lot. It's great for a party too because, most likely, you'll be the only one wearing that scent. I don't wear it much tho, I don't know why. The opening is kind of misleading to what it will smell like in an hour, two totally different scents. I might have to go spray some on right now just to smell the dry down, lol. I'd pick it up if I were you. The 1.7 oz will last and last so theres no need for the bigger bottle. You can get it pretty cheap online too.

  13. #13

    Default Re: Escada - Magnestism For Men

    I've owned it for years, and here's my take:

    Heavy, thick, syrupy, grape opening. Once it settles out, the mid-notes yield a lot of tobacco and leather, and a lighter version of the opening lingers in the background. After it has projected for 3-5 hours, it smells almost like a violet version of Body Kouros. It has a similar powdery nature to it that keeps it from being too heavy. Youthful, unconventional, and fun, but not the easiest to wear, and it certainly is *different*. Complex and addictive to me, but I can see how it may be cloying and odd to others.

  14. #14

    Default Re: Escada - Magnestism For Men

    I did purchase it in the end and I really do love it, the trouble is it is completely undetectable after around 1 hour of spraying it!

    Alot of people thought the longevity was amazing in the reviews I have read but I guess it just doesnt agree with me which is a shame because its a gorgeous scent.

  15. #15

    Default Re: Escada - Magnestism For Men

    Quote Originally Posted by JoelJoel View Post
    I did purchase it in the end and I really do love it, the trouble is it is completely undetectable after around 1 hour of spraying it!

    Alot of people thought the longevity was amazing in the reviews I have read but I guess it just doesnt agree with me which is a shame because its a gorgeous scent.
    Maybe this problem could always happen on the first wearing. I have experienced with Mania, Magnetism, and several other, but, their second wearings last all day.

    So wear it again and see if you could detect the scent after a few hours?
    Current Top 5

    1. Creed Aventus
    2. A*Men Pure Malt
    3. L'instant Extreme
    4. Nasomatto Duro
    5. CDG - Kyoto

Similar Threads

  1. Escada Pour Homme.
    By everso in forum Male Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 3rd October 2011, 03:10 PM
  2. Am I way off? Stardust = Escada PH ?
    By Bigsly in forum Male Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 14th May 2008, 12:07 AM
  3. Escada Question
    By tvlampboy in forum Male Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 2nd September 2007, 01:21 AM
  4. Escada Margaretha Ley by Escada for Women
    By Sudsy in forum Missing Fragrances List
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 20th June 2007, 12:34 PM
  5. Escada by Escada
    By dance2trance in forum Female Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 5th July 2006, 04:09 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  



Loving perfume on the Internet since 2000