Code of Conduct
    Basenotes Institution
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Since we're talking about roses...

After all of the discussion about the rose trifecta that rentboy posted this week: No. 88 by Czech and Speake, Black Oud by Montale and Rose 31 by Le Labo - I am starting to ask questions about other rose scents I have and have not smelled.

Other rose scents I've tried: A.maze by POTL (loved); L' Ombre dans l'eau by Diptyque (loved); Rose red series by CdG (neutral); Sa Majeste la Rose (loved); Bohemian Rose by Ava Luxe (hated).

Two rose scents get lots of love here on Basenotes: Hammam Bouquet by Penhaligons and Lipstick Rose by Frederic Malle.

I'm afraid of a 'powdery drydown' with the Penhaligons. Does anybody get this?

I'd love to hear your thoughts on these two rose scents.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Since we're talking about roses...

One rose scent that deserves WAY more mention is Donna by Lorenzo Villoresi. It is the prettiest rose scent that I've ever smelled, and could conceiveably be pulled off by either gender although definately more easily by a woman. So beautiful though, really a scent that everyone should smell. I unfortunately haven't smelled it recently enough to write a detailed review. I do remember though that it had a tender sweetness with subtle spicy undertones wafting around a very pure, idealistic heart of rose.
    Sorry, haven't smelled either of the two scents that you're inquiring about, but I thought that I'd throw in my thoughts on Donna.
    --------------------------------------
    Lol just checked the directory and their are only two reviews for Donna but they are quite contrary to my postl. I still stand behind Donna as a very beautiful rose scent...I don't recall it being harsh at all as one reviewer says. Maybe some other people can weigh in on Donna as well as the original scents that were inquired about.
    Last edited by The_Giraffe; 20th August 2007 at 01:53 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Post Thanks / Like

I have worn Hammam Bouquet for years and love the stuff. I never detect any powdery note at all.

Another rose scent for men that is worth trying out is Rosine's Twill Rose.

Barry

Basenotes Institution
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Prince Barry View Post
    I have worn Hammam Bouquet for years and love the stuff. I never detect any powdery note at all.

Another rose scent for men that is worth trying out is Rosine's Twill Rose.

Barry
    OK, I trust your nose Barry. If you say no powder, I feel more comfortable seeking it out now.

Twill Rose. I am sure I've heard it mentioned here before, but honestly I have NEVER seen Rosine scents anywhere for sale here in Miami. I will keep my eyes peeled.

I've smelled all the Rosine variations and they were simply too feminine for me. Rose is a tricky scent for me though.

TNMA
    "Why not seize the pleasure at once?"
    -- Jane Austen (Sun, and Mercury in Sagittarius)

Post Thanks / Like

With Lipstick Rose on, I might feel like a cross dresser. But Une Rose from the Editions line is ideal for me. Although labeled 'femme', it is sufficiently masculine to my radar, a velvety, rather natural red blossom. Sa Majestée lR is similar, and includes more of the green notes of stem and leaves.

Villoresi has wonderful green perfumes for men. I never undertook to to endeavor much else. But now I shall make it a point to at least sample Donna. Has anybody sampled Rose de Nuit by Lutens yet?
    Last edited by narcus; 21st August 2007 at 10:20 AM.
    'Il mondo dei profumi č un universo senza limiti: una fraganza puo rievocare sensazioni, luoghi, persone o ancora condurre in uno spazio di nuove dimensioni emozionali' L. V.

mike, Aedes.com usually carries the Rosine line, right now it looks like they only have one of the scents available, Flamenca Rose.

I am into Roses these days and my recent discovery was RASA by Ava Luxe. Rose, musk, complex, dirty, warm...have you tried this one? It's up there for me with Sa Majeste la Rose. Very different, but quite gorgeous.
    Last edited by rtamara41; 21st August 2007 at 11:04 AM.
    "Like a lobster with a pearl in its claw, the beet held the jasmine firmly without crushing or obscuring it. Beet lifted jasmine, the way a bullnecked partner lifts a ballerina, and the pair came on stage on citron's fluty cue. As if jasmine were a collection of beautiful paintings, beet hung it in the galleries of the nose, insured it against fire or theft, threw a party to celebrate it. Citron mailed the invitations." Jitterbug Perfume by Tom Robbins p. 189

What I am loving right now: Shalimar vintage extrait, Chanel Bois des Iles, Chanel no. 22, Le Labo Iris 39, Guerlain Iris Ganache

Post Thanks / Like

Luscious Cargo carries most of the Rosine line. Thanks to purplebird7's recommendations, I have samples of about a half dozen of their scents to test in the coming days. They do not carry the Twill version but they have several others that might interest you.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    OK, I trust your nose Barry. If you say no powder, I feel more comfortable seeking it out now.

Twill Rose. I am sure I've heard it mentioned here before, but honestly I have NEVER seen Rosine scents anywhere for sale here in Miami. I will keep my eyes peeled.
    Fingers crossed that you like it, I will feel guilty if you end up hating it.

Basenotes Institution
    Post Thanks / Like

I will try out Une Rose (if I can get ahold of a sample) before Lipstick Rose, then. I like SMLR by Serge Lutens a LOT. And if you're comparing Rasa to it Renee, then I will check out Rasa also (I always thought Rasa was a musk scent...not a rose scent). The Rosines seem harder to sample and/or purchase.

I think I will sample Hammam Bouquet before I buy. Looking at the Penhaligon website last night, they sell a fragrance sampler where you can try 10 of their scents for about $20 (US dollars). Not bad.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    I think I will sample Hammam Bouquet before I buy. Looking at the Penhaligon website last night, they sell a fragrance sampler where you can try 10 of their scents for about $20 (US dollars). Not bad.
    Good idea. You might even get the lady's rose fragrance as well in the sample tin.

Barry

I had a wax sample of Lutens' Rose de nuit sent to me on the card with sarrasins last week and it seemed spicy and earthy enough for a man to wear but i'd rather try the liquid first to be sure .