Code of Conduct

Post Thanks / Like

Default Birthday Pressie

My friend's 18th is coming up soon and I was wondering whether to get her a fragrance. Anyone have any recommendations? She is very pretty and has impeccable taste in jewelry. She is more mature than any 18 year old I know but she can also be quite playful... so I'm guessing that she's either a fruity floral or floral-oriental kind of person.

She has previously complimented me on Guess EDP, however I can't seem to find it here in Australia (I bought mine in Kuala Lumpur). She works in a pharmacy so I want something that's not too common, but on the other hand I want something mainstream coz in Canberra it's hard to find niche perfume.

Thanks in advance

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Birthday Pressie

Jillsy what kind of perfume does she wear now? Is there a perfume that she has worn that you thought smelled good on her?
    Diva is fartin in your perfume mist before you walk through it!! Walk slow and let it marinate......

Divatologist....Breaking perfume rules since 1969
    I smells goooooooooooood! Don't believe me? Come smell me!!

"The Divatologist Perfume Application Method" is now available!!! Learn It, Live It, Love It Click Here! Many Compliments Await You!

www.twitter.com/Divatologist www.divatologist.tumblr.com

Post Thanks / Like

I'm the last person who should be giving recommendations (lol), but when I think, "young & sophisticated" I think of Lauren by Ralph Lauren. It's young and woodsy, not too sweet, but not too "serious" either.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jillsy View Post
    ...She has previously complimented me on Guess EDP, however I can't seem to find it here in Australia ... I want something that's not too common, but on the other hand I want something mainstream coz in Canberra it's hard to find niche perfume...

Hi Jillsy! I guess my first question is which GUESS?
    We have 3 GUESS's to choose from: Guess (original) 1990, Guess (2000 version) or Guess 2005??
    A suggestion by SEPHORA for scents whose fragrance family, notes, and subnotes is most similar to GUESS 1990:
    Givenchy, Organza
    Hugo Boss, Deep Red
    Calvin Klein, Euphoria
    Calvin Klein, Truth Calvin Klein
    For GUESS 2000:
    Salvatore Ferragamo, Incanto Dream
    Jil Sander, Sport Jil Sander for Women
    For GUESS 2005:
    Sorry, they have no suggestions!!

If you'd like any samples from my Wardrobe just PM me & I can see if I can help you with a few. Us being fellow Aussies and all!
    Beauty is an ecstasy; it is as simple as hunger. There is really nothing to be said about it. It is like the perfume of a rose: you can smell it and that is all. W.SOMERSET MAUGHAM

Post Thanks / Like

I don't have any room to comment on young and sophisticated, either, but my neighbors daughter asked for Burberry for her recent birthday, but seemed more pleased with the Sage Machado Garnet roll-on oil and lotion. The Sage Machado roll-on oils come in a truly lovely presentation of brightly colored, kimono printed little 'lipstick' holders.

I believe SM Pearl is the most popular "cult" classic. You'd have to order it, though.
    Last edited by Shycat; 21st August 2007 at 02:01 PM.
    Please, spritz responsibly.

Post Thanks / Like

Oh yeah!

2nd the Burberry! Screams, "young & sophistimicated!" lol

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Shycat View Post
    I don't have any room to comment on young and sophisticated, either...
    Awww come on P. you remember being young & sophisticated, don't you???
    I remember being YOUNG!
    Beauty is an ecstasy; it is as simple as hunger. There is really nothing to be said about it. It is like the perfume of a rose: you can smell it and that is all. W.SOMERSET MAUGHAM

I might be going out on a limb here, but I am guessing that even if she is quite sophisticated, since she is pretty young, she probably has relatively mainstream tastes (it's just a guess!). If I were you, I would go for something with a bit of a hip vibe about it, and I would head to Mecca Cosmetica and perhaps go with something like Antonia's Flowers edt or Kiehls Musk edt. These are Mecca exclusives, so you don't smell them on every second person in the street. They are also both very beautiful and hard to dislike - but the good thing about Mecca is that she should be able to exchange it for something fab if it's not her thing.

Or you could just go the gift voucher.
    Last edited by ozkat; 21st August 2007 at 03:02 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Youthful floral-orientals and fruity florals:

YSL- YoungSexyModern
    Vera Wang Princess
    Givenchy Very Irresistible
    Kenzo Flower
    DKNY Be Delicious or Be Delicious Red
    Dolce & Gabbana Light Blue
    Cartier Delices or Delices Eau Fruitee
    Gucci Eau de Parfum II

Somewhat Niche:
    Guerlain Aqua Allegoria Mandarin Basilic
    Creed Spring Flower
    And he whose soul is flat -- the sky
    Will cave in on him by and by.

ófrom "Renascence" by Edna St. Vincent Millay

Post Thanks / Like

wow thanks everyone

divatologist - i don't know what she wears now (or even if she wears perfume... i think she does but not as often as i do) somehow i always seem to associate her with rose notes

virgo75 - thanks for that i hadnt heard of that one (maybe i should keep it in mind for my best friend's birthday - her name is lauren)

sudsy - err i think it was the 2005 version... the lady told me it was quite new when i bought it (last year) but i dunno how good her word was (it was in malaysia where some sales assistants can be kinda pushy and not too well informed) thanks for the offer of samples... i will send a message soon

shycat - is the burberry one burberry brit? hmmm good idea... finding a bottle of the edp is kinda hard but it shouldn't be too hard to find the edt

ozkat - thanks for the ideas i shall go check out mecca next time i'm in the city, although last time i visited the perfume range did not seem very large... most serge lutens and a few comme de garcons but i don't remember much else.

kotori - i found young sexy lovely didn't seem to last too long (on my skin) but vera wang princess sounds good.. i'll go find the others though and have a sniff

heheh i got the young part alright but sophisticated? i don't think so :P

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Hmmm roses. Maybe Stella or Narciso Rodriquez for her. Stella is one of my favs. I actually like the new Sarah J Parker scent Covet, but it didn't like me. Oh well. I liked Vera Wang Princess, but I didn't like the way it smelled after a few hours. It didn't like me either.

It's funny because when I think of 18, I think of Bath & Body Works. It's so sad because I can't even remember what perfume I wore then. Wow, this is gonna bug me till I can remember.
    Diva is fartin in your perfume mist before you walk through it!! Walk slow and let it marinate......

Divatologist....Breaking perfume rules since 1969
    I smells goooooooooooood! Don't believe me? Come smell me!!

"The Divatologist Perfume Application Method" is now available!!! Learn It, Live It, Love It Click Here! Many Compliments Await You!

www.twitter.com/Divatologist www.divatologist.tumblr.com

Post Thanks / Like

thanks

hehe i remember buying my first perfume... when i was 7 or 8... strawberry oil from the body shop

still yet to try that narcisso rodriquez stuff... i been hearing it mentioned a lot lately

Quote Originally Posted by Kotori View Post
    Youthful floral-orientals and fruity florals:

YSL- YoungSexyModern
    Vera Wang Princess
    Givenchy Very Irresistible
    Kenzo Flower
    DKNY Be Delicious or Be Delicious Red
    Dolce & Gabbana Light Blue
    Cartier Delices or Delices Eau Fruitee
    Gucci Eau de Parfum II

Somewhat Niche:
    Guerlain Aqua Allegoria Mandarin Basilic
    Creed Spring Flower
    I pretty much agree with this but we do need more info on the bday girl...
    I have to add maybe on of the YSL's Paris limited ed. scents, they're all very pretty as well.
    BTW Kotori, you meat YSL's YoungSexyLovely right?

Banned

Post Thanks / Like

If her taste in jewellery is impeccable, Im surprised noone has suggested Bvlgari.
    Specifically, BVLGARI's Omnia Crystalline.

Bvlgari obviously create jewels one would sell a lung for, and the flacon in this case is really quite remarkable.
    The scent itself is not mature beyond its years, - its clean, fresh, irridescent and sexy.
    Last edited by Sorcery of Scent; 22nd August 2007 at 02:41 PM. Reason: typo

My friend's 18th is coming up soon and I was wondering whether to get her a fragrance. Anyone have any recommendations? She is very pretty and has impeccable taste in jewelry. She is more mature than any 18 year old I know but she can also be quite playful... so I'm guessing that she's either a fruity floral or floral-oriental kind of person.

She has previously complimented me on Guess EDP, however I can't seem to find it here in Australia (I bought mine in Kuala Lumpur). She works in a pharmacy so I want something that's not too common, but on the other hand I want something mainstream coz in Canberra it's hard to find niche perfume.

Thanks in advance
    My daughter will be 18 in 2 weeks. She has fallen in love with Dior Pure Poison (so I'm getting her a 50ml bottle of that), and she also loves Ysatis (a much 'older' perfume than perhaps an 18-year-old would normally go for). She also likes J Lo Glow, and Jessica Parker Lovely. They should all be available generally.

Good luck!

Clemmie
    --------------------------------------
    PS I would also second Dmitri's recommendation of Omnia Crystalline. Lovely fragrance.
    By the way, Lancome's Hypnose is also a young and fruity fragrance. Very clean but also sexy.
    Last edited by Clemmie; 22nd August 2007 at 03:50 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    "I don't know the key to success,
    but the key to failure is trying to please everybody."
    Bill Cosby

Post Thanks / Like

Just a reminder that Narciso edt is not at all the same as edp.Only time I've ever preferred an edt.

thanks

hehe i remember buying my first perfume... when i was 7 or 8... strawberry oil from the body shop

still yet to try that narcisso rodriquez stuff... i been hearing it mentioned a lot lately
    NR is AMAZING! It's truly gorgeous. Get a sniff as soon as you can! :-)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyra View Post
    Just a reminder that Narciso edt is not at all the same as edp.Only time I've ever preferred an edt.
    I bought the edt after the edp because people told me they were so very different (and they are), but I still prefer the edp. Horses for courses etc...
    Last edited by Clemmie; 24th August 2007 at 03:43 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    Bill Cosby

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Divatologist View Post
    It's funny because when I think of 18, I think of Bath & Body Works. It's so sad because I can't even remember what perfume I wore then. Wow, this is gonna bug me till I can remember.
    Aw, Divatologist. :hugs:

Now that I think about it: At 18/19 I was wearing CK Eternity(the most), Samsara, Shalimar, and Opium. I didn't figure out about B&BW until maybe 20(a little late), and even then I still wore my scents, just over the B&BW stuff. Like B&BW Peach Nectar lotion mixed with Opium EDP or Sun Ripened Raspberry with Eternity.

But then again, I was always a weird kid.

Post Thanks / Like

Armani Code for Woman is very popular with bright young things over here, as is
    Angel Innocent. I would also recommend Yves Rocher's Un Jour se Leve (if you can get it where you are.) It's the edt version of Comme une Evidence and is very nice (with an
    unusual rhubarb note!)

Quote Originally Posted by virgo75 View Post
    Like B&BW Peach Nectar lotion mixed with Opium EDP or Sun Ripened Raspberry with Eternity. But then again, I was always a weird kid.
    But that sounds heavenly!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by castorpollux View Post
    I pretty much agree with this but we do need more info on the bday girl...
    hmmm what kind of more info? i have a pic of her somewhere but i'm not sure how to upload it

i went perfume shopping today - tried so many perfumes i'm quite confused now. the girl at myer gave me a sample of the new dior poison stuff which my friend tried on - her reaction was that it was strong but i couldn't tell if she liked it or not.

tried the NR stuff... i felt a bit let down really after all the good comments about it recently but maybe my nose was fatigued... shall try it again later. i wasnt told whether it was the edt or edp (and it didn't occur to me to ask at the time)

happy bday to your daughter clemmie pure poison is a nice idea... i'll look into that

haven't seen bvlgari omnia crystalline but i shall go looksie soon... armani code would have been a great idea if it weren't my little (8 year old) sisters fave - took her looking at perfume yesters and she came back smelling strongly of code (uhoh what have i done to her? :P)

not sure where to find yves rocher :S

thanks for all the advice its great

how abt chanel no 5? or byzance (which is really nice)

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Alexander McQueen MyQueen? This one is lovely, not that common, and I am always being complimented on it by bright sexy young things (one of whom wouldn't let me leave the office until I wrote down what it was).

Post Thanks / Like

hmmm i've vaguely heard of byzance... who's it by?

i can't seem to get past the aldehydes (i think its that) in chanel no 5

cool must look into myqueen

Post Thanks / Like

Not sure about how unusual or sophisticated thi scent is,but Pure Poison sounds like a good idea non the less

hmmm what kind of more info? i have a pic of her somewhere but i'm not sure how to upload it

i went perfume shopping today - tried so many perfumes i'm quite confused now. the girl at myer gave me a sample of the new dior poison stuff which my friend tried on - her reaction was that it was strong but i couldn't tell if she liked it or not.

tried the NR stuff... i felt a bit let down really after all the good comments about it recently but maybe my nose was fatigued... shall try it again later. i wasnt told whether it was the edt or edp (and it didn't occur to me to ask at the time)

happy bday to your daughter clemmie pure poison is a nice idea... i'll look into that

haven't seen bvlgari omnia crystalline but i shall go looksie soon... armani code would have been a great idea if it weren't my little (8 year old) sisters fave - took her looking at perfume yesters and she came back smelling strongly of code (uhoh what have i done to her? :P)

not sure where to find yves rocher :S

thanks for all the advice its great
    Thank you! Her boyfriend is also buying her a bottle of SJP Lovely (I prefer NR For Her...similar frag, but longer lasting). She's going to smell divine!
    Bill Cosby

Late on the bandwagon, but Lauren Style by Ralph Lauren is a great pick!

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up Re: Birthday Pressie

I'm not real into Celebrity scents - but 'With Love' Hilary Duff is nice, but my votes for something sexy but sophisticated, flirty but not dirty and happy but not bimbo are as follows:

Hypnose' - Lancome
    Allure - Chanel
    Crystal Noir - Versace
    Addict - Dior

Good luck!

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks people
    Turns out she doesn't actually have perfume (although I know she likes it) so this will be her first (odd though coz she always smells really good... maybe it's scented body lotion or something). Does that change anything? Should I get her a simpler perfume with just one note or something? Like vanilla or rose or something?
    The samples from Sudsy arrived yesters... and Iím thinking maybe the Coco Mademoiselle would be suitable... or maybe itís too complex for a first perfume? Tea Rose is also really good... maybe get her that and something with it... or maybe something from the Body Shop? I love that shop. Iíve yet to test the Narcisso Rodriguez stuff but it smells good from the vial... same with Escada... hmmm I hadnít realised how tough it is to pick a fragrance for someone!
    Last edited by jillsy; 4th September 2007 at 10:44 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

You could be sneeky and invite your friend over to have a sniff of all YOUR new treasures.
    Easily done without letting her know you are paying attention to what SHE likes best; she will never suspect that you want to give perfume as a pressie to her.

Post Thanks / Like

Hi again
    My friend recently mentioned liking Green Tea by Elizabeth Arden but she said something about it having a lower amount of alcohol in it... i presume she means that the concentration is EdP rather than EdT? Or does it come in higher concentrations?
    Thanks for all your help... got another friends 18th coming up soon too so the above suggestions will be very useful
    Jill