Code of Conduct

Red face my worst ever blind buy

a few months ago after buzzing upon the arrival of my creed virgin island water
    which after numerous samples i ended up buying 2 flacons at a very reasonable price
    i found myself chatting to someone who had tried some of mine and told me if i loved those sort of frag then there was a scent called bond no9 fire island that was very similar and if i loved VIW then it would be a great addition to my collection
    i read a few reviews on it and although it got mixed receptions it sounded appealing
    i found a bottle online at a very reasonable price so i bought it without trying it first , upon its arrival at work one afternoon i opened it and me and another guy sprayed a spritz on our hand to smell it.
    both looked at each other and said yeah smells kinda nice , and i walked back to my area, few minuites later the smell overpowered me and it instantly brought on a headache , i mean it was really repulsive (imho) i tried washing it off but to no joy the smell lingered on me for the rest of the day until i managed to shower it off in the evening!
    the thought of the smell alone was headache induicng
    that evening my wife tried it , said it smelled nice and a few minuites after applying she had the same sort of response saying it was too strong and ghastly
    the box got sealed and put away in the loft until i managed to offload it on ebay (for a profit as well!)
    is there anyone else that has had the same response from this frag or is it just me?

Default Re: my worst ever blind buy

No, but I sold mine as well. I just did not want to smell that way. It's a nice smell, for a second...but not for a whole day.

I didn't like Fire Island at all. As for you, it was an instant scrubber. That smell of 70's suntan lotion was overwhelming.

If you didn't like Fire Island, then you'd best avoid Kiehl's Musk. I happen to like it myself; however, I always got complaints of "Who's wearing so much suntan lotion?" from others whenever I put it on. I finally swapped it or gave it away or something. I still like it for myself, but have to consider others, too.

JUST ADDED TUSCANY AND DZING! TO MY SWAP LIST: http://www.basenotespro.com/comm/sho...d.php?t=197864
    Last edited by tvlampboy; 21st August 2007 at 06:39 PM.

Peggy: "Right now, we have to get to the mental institution. Something terrible has happened."
    Latrelle: "What?"
    Peggy: "Brother Boy has tried to kill himself. He jumped out of his bedroom window."
    Latrelle: "Isn't he only on the second floor?"
    Peggy: "Yes, but he hit his head on a lawn gnome."
    Fr. Sordid Lives: The Series
    "Live, live, live! Life is a banquet, and most poor suckers are starving to death."
    Auntie Mame
    [/B]

deleted by myself. Wrong thread.
    Last edited by eric; 21st August 2007 at 07:42 PM.

French Lover... very mediocre, not at all what i expected from FM. weak and pale. Would do well as a mass market scent, for a third the price.

My worst blind buy would easily be Alfred Sung's Paradise. Bought it at Marshalls and didn't smell before I bought. Returned it though

I like Fire Island but only ever wear it in the house - when I go out in public, I always find something better to wear. VIW I would never in a million years buy - just not my thing at all. Very disappointing from Creed. If someone gave me a bottle of Fire Island, I wouldn't mind though. I have a love/hate relationship with Bond. There are only a few that I enjoy.
    "To be irreplaceable, one must always be different!" - Coco Chanel

visit: WWW.SNIFFAPALOOZAMAGAZINE.COM

Fire Island is an interesting suntan lotion smell...but its about as wearable as a Luten's Rahat Lakhoum. It might do well as beach wear. If you want a suntan lotion smell, its about the best there is. VIW is excellent - it does away with the suntan lotion image with a crisp lime-ginger-rum accord with undertones of mandarin and coconut. Totally whips Fire Islands butt when it comes to wearability.
    Last edited by zztopp; 25th August 2007 at 12:35 AM.
    -

Quote Originally Posted by zztopp View Post
    Fire Island is an interesting suntan lotion smell...but its about as wearable as a Luten's Rahat Lakhoum. It might do well as beach wear. If you want a suntan lotion smell, its about the best there is. VIW is excellent - it does away with the suntan lotion image with a crisp lime-ginger-rum accord with undertones of mandarin and coconut. Totally whips Fire Islands butt when it comes to wearability.
    I appreciate that SL was trying to do a "Guerlain confection", but I'm sorry, RL is Bazooka bubble gum.

Hi everybody, I'm the newbie from Germany! Nice to be here.

My worst blind buy ever was "Nino Cerruti". I've read all the positive reviews about it and so I bought it at ebay for a very reasonable price. To my dissapointment, the scent was absolutely nauseating to my nose.

probably odeur 53. thats one horrible smell...

Probably Azzaro Visit. Nice bottle, though.

Have a nice weekend all...
    Mike

If I had only spent $10 - $50 on something, I would say to myself that it was a learning experience and then promptly forget about it. However, I ordered a bottle of Bigarade Concentree from the Malle website and with postage it was around $200. It's a pleasant enough fragrance but you blink and it's gone! I almost never wear it because I keep telling myself that I am waiting for a perfect occasion. I am still not sure when that will be.

I have had many blind-buy disasters, from a quick recollection i would say:

Animale for Men
    360 Degrees for Men
    Armani's City Glam for Him
    Samba for Men
    Vuarnet by Vuarnet
    Curve for Men
    ...and a long list

that's just for the scents that i thought were bad themselves either alone or on other people, if i include the ones that didn't go well with my skin but i still think they are good scents that would be another long list

and that's for the "men's" scents only...

Too many to list

Since I buy blind very frequently, there's a fair share of misses.

In terms of the distance between my (very high) expectations and the actual product, probably Fumérie Turque (I thought I would adore it, but don't like it much), as well as Kiton Men.

In terms of making me literally nauseous, Guerlain Vétiver. Others I intensely disliked were Crown Park Royal, Liz Claiborne, and Capucci's Jour d'Été.
    My Wardrobe
    II est de forts parfums pour qui toute matière/Est poreuse. On dirait qu'ils pénètrent le verre.

I too buy or swap 'blindly' 99% of the time. AG's Sables and Caron's Yatagan were gag-inducing!

Dan
    "We are fast approaching the stage of the ultimate inversion: the stage where the government is free to do anything it pleases, while the citizens may act only by permission; which is the stage of the darkest periods of human history, the stage of rule by brute force." Ayn Rand...

"The essence of fascism is to make laws forbidding everything and then enforce them selectively against your enemies."

Daily Wardrobe

Land by Lacoste.
    Seemed raw and unrefined to me.
    I was cheated because that was compared to Hugo Boss Elements,a five star fragrance in my opinion (yea,don't laugh ).Since it was quite difficult to get a bottle,I ended up buying a half-used spray one,so having a bottle that went off is a probability.
    It's never too late to mend.

WARDROBE:http://www.basenotes.net/wardrobe/1256

Thumbs down Re: my worst ever blind buy

There are a few that come to mind: Lagerfeld Man, Kouros, Wings for men, but the worst was probably Jasper Conran Man. Had to get that stench off my skin and get rid of it asap.
    ✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧UK Sale Thread: Niche & Designer bottles for sale UK✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧

Current Top Favorites:
    1) DAVIDOFF Silver Shadow Private Blend
    2) BOND No.9 New York Oud
    3) LUBIN Idole de Lubin (eau de parfum)
    4) MONT BLANC Legend Intense
    5) CHARRIOL Eau de Parfum pour Homme
    6) YSL L'Homme Parfum Intense
    7) DIOR La Collection Privée - Ambre Nuit
    8) SCENTSTORY 24 Gold
    9) HERMES Voyage d'Hermès Parfum
    10) LATTAFA Ameer Al Oudh

✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧ UK Niche, Rare & Designer Complete Decant List UK ✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧

✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧ Facebook Decant List ✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧

CHAPS (( sickly sweet )) .... Acqua Di Selva (( toxic )) ..... VV Verino .... ZINO (( nerve gas )) .....

I buy blind quite a lot.. These are the worst!!!

Ungaro III
    Bowling Green
    English Leather
    Quorum
    Jade East
    Last edited by deck89; 15th October 2007 at 10:50 AM. Reason: spelling

I've long said Fracas pour Homme by Piguet -- sweet licorice-scented soap bubbles.
    But then I remembered that no, it was A*men years before that.
    Last edited by tvlampboy; 15th October 2007 at 02:49 PM.

Peggy: "Right now, we have to get to the mental institution. Something terrible has happened."
    Latrelle: "What?"
    Peggy: "Brother Boy has tried to kill himself. He jumped out of his bedroom window."
    Latrelle: "Isn't he only on the second floor?"
    Peggy: "Yes, but he hit his head on a lawn gnome."
    Fr. Sordid Lives: The Series
    "Live, live, live! Life is a banquet, and most poor suckers are starving to death."
    Auntie Mame
    [/B]

rive gauche ph. for the first week, i loved it, but then it just became so insufferably dry (oxygen-sucking) and, well, it smells like old man. it's a very one-dimensional scent, ala tom ford.

don't hate me for saying that.

Yang and Relax are the worse two that I can think off. But, then again, I had only just started out on Basenotes. Nowadays, I try to avoid blind buys but that Montale sale forced me to temporarily ditch my principles...

Richard James Cologne thinking it would be as good as the Edt.

Silver Mountain Water - smells like rotten tea bags.

Musc de Koublai Khan. An unsuccessful attempt at blending a sweet, rather inocuous little musk and dog poo residue on the shoe. This was not a good match, sadly, as I had high hopes and really wanted to like it.

M7, it gave me headache