Code of Conduct

Default Which are the biggest niche fragrance companies?

I'm getting bored of the mass produced stuffs and starting to dig into the niche stuffs...
    Like stuffs from Neiman Marcus: Creed, L'Artisan, etc...

Default Re: Which are the biggest niche fragrance companies?

Creed it is.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by breeze11 View Post
    Creed it is.
    Creed is not the biggest interms of size or clout. Their profit margins are amongst the highest, but sizewise, L'Artisan (which has started to expand more after being acquired by Fox Paine, a SF based private equity company), Serge Lutens (owned by japanese giant Shiseido), Floris, Penhaligons (owned by Cradle holdings), and a few others are bigger. Traditional classic houses like Guerlain and Chanel are even bigger..
    Last edited by zztopp; 21st August 2007 at 11:31 PM.
    -

Quote Originally Posted by zztopp View Post
    Creed is not the biggest interms of size or clout. Their profit margins are amongst the highest, but sizewise, L'Artisan (which has started to expand more after being acquired by Fox Paine, a SF based private equity company), Serge Lutens (owned by japanese giant Shiseido), Floris, Penhaligons (owned by Cradle holdings), and a few others are bigger. Traditional classic houses like Guerlain and Chanel are even bigger..
    I agree, but I don't think that Guerlain and Chanel are niche... well not anymore.

Keeping in mind that once a company grows so big, it's no longer niche.........L'Artisan.
    WISHLIST: Tokyo Milk Honey & the Moon, Brooklyn Bunny Lettuce
    "Another way to take up more space is to wear perfume. I really love wearing perfume." ANDY WARHOL
    DETROIT RED WINGS: RULING THE HOCKEY UNIVERSE SINCE 1927

Post Thanks / Like

I think of the "known" niche houses, Montale is the smallest. That is, so long as Montale is considered niche.

What exactly does niche mean? Does it mean that they use all natural as opposed to synthetic ingrediants?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ZANY View Post
    What exactly does niche mean? Does it mean that they use all natural as opposed to synthetic ingrediants?
    Not at all. They are less likely than mass-market companies to replace costly natural ingredients with cheaper synthetics, but that's not what defines them. The two most common ways of defining niche perfumeries are by their independence from other design markets (like fashion -- which rules out Chanel, Dior, YSL, and the like -- and jewelry -- which rules out Bulgari, Cartier, Tiffany, and so on) or by the exclusivity of their retail distribution (so fragrances you find at Macy's or The Body Shop don't count; that's the argument for ruling out Guerlain and others).

But I think we also handle these categories more impressionistically. Many around here are comfortable calling Creed a niche line, even though the Creed business got its start in fashion and is fairly widely distributed. Cost and quality are probably factors. (To be fair, Creed got out of menswear ages ago, and its distribution looks more narrow if you ignore all the internet discounters and just count its authorized retailers.) Many would not consider Caron a niche line, even though its distribution is (I'm guessing) relatively limited in the U.S.
    Last edited by PaulSC; 29th November 2007 at 10:30 PM.
    Spray it, don’t say it…
    WARDROBE

Thank you so much!