Code of Conduct

Default Narciso Rodriguez for Him - mini review

Well it arrived today and its NOTHING like I expected!!

On first spray I thought "Grandad? Is that you?!...." but it wasn't, it was Narcisos' latest creation for men.

Its alnong the lines of Rive Gauche for me with a lighter "watermelony" note to it. I must admit it does settle down much more pleasently. Well I've only had it on for 15mins so I'll report back later!

Default Re: Narciso Rodriguez for Him - mini review

LoL Col you weren't kidding when you said "mini" review
    -

LOL! Yes I know...

Well had it on for a few hours now and it really is improving. The green notes are showing themselves and the "grandpa" bit is fading fast.

It has a warmth to it, very slight sweetness with a bitter green in the back ground. Then making way to the muscs. Its getting better by the minute!

Thanks a lot for the mini review Col! If it smells anything like RGforM, then it'll be on my list.

Agreed that technically both RG and Narciso Rodrigues for him are fougčger, the last one has nothing to share with RG.
    Despite I can appear unpopular here saying RG smells a bit grandad, indeed it does to me while NRFH is totally amazing being its patchouly earthyness in the base totally intriguing and amazing remembering me the earthy notes of Antaeus even at a certain point.

Basenotes Institution

OK, I guess I should post my review, already...

Narciso Rodriguez for Him is, in short, is a fragrance that Ralph Lauren, Calvin Klein or even Dior SHOULD HAVE created but didn't. Let me explain.

The top notes of NRFH remind me (just as I expected) of those 80's fougeres that I wore as a teen. I expected the Rive Gauche notes (that scentemental mentioned on the other thread) and got none...instead I think it reminds me more of Xeryus by Givenchy. However a feathery, lighter Xeryus. I think its the dry violet that does this - just a beautiful olfactory effect. Disperses all around you for a few minutes and doesn't let go. Maybe violet smells like 'grandpa' to some. To me, it smells wonderful (you all know I go a little bananas, about violet notes done well). Perhaps its mossy, dirty notes mixed with the violets reminds me a little of Midnight Violet by Ava Luxe - but by no means is NRFH a 'dirty' scent.

The slight soapy mid drydown reminded me slightly of Rive Gauche, but NOT in the barbershop vibe. More like a fancy triple milled European soap note. Honestly, I got little 'musk' from the base notes - but I am slightly anosmic to some musk, so I'm not surprised. The drydown is all about the light woods for me (sniffing my skin about 3-4 hours after, yielded an immediate connection with Terre D'Hermes dried grass [or marijuana leaves] smell]. The light wood drydown is soft and slightly effervescent - unlike Aramis (or Cabochard for that matter).

Here's the other thing: It reminds me of an 80's mens fragrance, but it is NOT obnoxious like they were. It's formal and elegant in the way it persists on my skin - very politely. Those looking for tenacious longevity, should look elsewhere (or perhaps wait for Tom Ford for Men to be released next month, which I am betting will be a longevity monster!).

NRFH will appeal to fans of Jules by Dior or Bel Ami by Hermes, IMO.

Can I also say, that NRFH is NOTHING like those obnoxious powerhouses that Francis Kurkdjian created for Jean Paul Gaultier (yes, Gauliter2, I'm looking at you) - its very restrained, quietly appealing - and perfectly compliments his Narciso Rodriguez for Her that he also did.

NRFH is the natural evolution that 80's mens fragrances should have taken. Polo Double Black, CKIN2U Him and Fahreinheit 32 could all learn a little something from NRFH.
    Last edited by mikeperez23; 22nd August 2007 at 03:12 PM.

Mike- WOW! I have been telling everyone how much I love this stuff but your description is excellent. Do you agree that it is the most "different" frag since Tauer's LDDM?

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by stuigi View Post
    Mike- WOW! I have been telling everyone how much I love this stuff but your description is excellent. Do you agree that it is the most "different" frag since Tauer's LDDM?
    Well, those are some strong words stuigi. Perhaps I might assign a few scents that title, along with NRFH: Virgin Island Water by Creed, Terre D'Hermes by Hermes and Black Orchid by Tom Ford come to mind easily.

I will say this. Virgin Island Water clearly 'won' the first half of 2007, IMO. As of yet, NRFH has won the second half. Let's see how the rest of the year plays out...

Quote Originally Posted by stuigi View Post

Let's see, so far it's reminded people of elements of Eau de Cartier, Rive Gauche Pour Homme--despite Magnifiscent's insistence that there's no connection with Rive Gauche Pour Homme at all, it's there for some of us--Paco Rabanne Pour Homme, Xeryus, and Antaeus. It's based on a traditional, albeit modified, fougère model. Hardly "the most ""different" frag since Tauer's LDDM". It will go on continuing to remind others of various fougère fragrances because that's the purpose behind this fragrance: to update and modernize the fougère concept that proved so popular in the 1980s. It's a good fragrance, but hardly a one of a kind.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    . . . . Honestly, I got little 'musk' from the base notes - but I am slightly anosmic to some musk, so I'm not surprised. The drydown is all about the light woods for me . . . .
    Mike,

Unless musk is the leading player in a fragrance, or unless that fragrance is a predominantly musk based fragrance, the musk won't be easy to distinguished from the various accords that it fixes and integrates, especially if it's being used as a fixative to integrate and extend the top and heart notes as it is in NR for Him.

If one looks at the pyramid of the notes for NR for Him, musk is uncharacteristically listed as a heart note. In some ways, though, this is more accurate because of musk's fixative properties, which assert themselves a lot earlier than simply in the basenotes as many think. Almost immediately in a fragrance's evolution, musk provides lift and diffusion, and rounds out a fragrance, giving it fullness. Musk is one of the fixative/integrative elements par excellence, and that's why musk is so prevalent in so many men's and women's fragrances. In many cases, unless one's sense of smell is attuned to the various musks being used in a fragrance, and therefore conscious of them, musk continues to remain unresolved as a background note, an olfactory invisible part of the accords which it fixes and integrates. Add to this the fact that most people are anosmic to one kind of musk over another, and in some cases to all musks, it makes perfect sense why so many people have problems singling out musk when it's used in a fixative role. Finally, some musk aroma chemicals have little to no smell when sampled on a test strip, but come to life when they take on the role of a fixative. It's as if the very characteristics of the other elements to which they give prominence and duration become an inseparable part of their own scent profile and activate the musk's own muskiness. It hard to distinguish where the other elements end and where the musk begins.

The fact that musk is uncharacteristically listed as a heart note in NR for Him, also confirms that musk here plays its primary role in the top and heart note accords and not in the base notes. You can achieve this effect by the kind of musk you chose to use, some musks having longer duration and persisting well into the basenotes than others, others enduring only through the heart notes. As you rightly note: the drydown is about light woods . . ."

I would only add, I wish it were about something more than just light woods and the generic "amber" designation given, these days, to basenotes that lack distinction, which as you already know from my earlier review is my main criticism of this fragrance.

scentemental

Last edited by scentemental; 5th October 2007 at 03:21 PM.

Wore this yesterday. Starts off like RG with subtle differences, then midnotes remind me of the "lush" accord of Rochas Man and then fades to a generic amber. Pretty good scent but not that original. Drydown is a bit lackluster and longevity is not good (disappeared after 4 hours). Must wear this again and give a more comprehensive review.
    "I exist for myself, and for those to whom my unquenchable thirst for freedom gives everything, but also for everyone, since insofar as I am able to love - I love everyone. Of noble hearts, I am the noblest - and the most generous of those that yearn to give love in return. - I am a human being, I love death and I love life."

Egon Schiele - Self-Potrait

My classics: Dior Homme EdT, YSL Rive Gauche PH, Helmut Lang Cuiron, L'Occitane Neroli (vintage), Davidoff Zino, L'Occitane Eau des Baux

http://www.basenotes.net/wardrobe/2976

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by scentemental View Post
    I would only add, I wish it were about something more than just light woods and the generic "amber" designation given, these days, to basenotes that lack distinction, which as you already know from my earlier review is my main criticism of this fragrance.

scentemental

I would love for you to smell the Narciso Rodriguez Musk for Him, and compare it's basenotes to NRFH's. I haven't been able to sniff the Musk version - but I would imagine that Francis Kurkdjian and Narciso Rodriguez's people all agreed that NRFH might 'bomb' if they didn't also offer a stronger version. Now, I'm just wondering is the Musk version just muskier? Or stronger basenotes? Or stronger muskier basenotes? Or neither?

Talking about musk scentemental - I have a funny 'musk' story: When I first wore Lavender Water by Caldey Island I noticed how light, airy and transparent the lavender was, even though my BF could smell it on me much longer than I could smell it on myself. The next few times I wore LW (I find it is the PERFECT scent for post-gym workouts...the lavenders bracing effects are truly calming and tonic-like) I intentionally overapplied it. This time I got...something else. It wasn't a stronger lavender. What was it? Amber? No, too light. I then went and read about Lavender Water on Luca Turin's now defunct blog (which you can still access the archive online) and in it, he mentions being duly impressed by Caldey Island's Lavender Water (blah, blah, blah) and actually calling the monks at the monastery to ask them how they achieve that light, tenacious base. Their answer kind of shocked me: rat musk. I instantly thought: 1) Oh my, I will never look at rats (or Lavender Water) the same way again and 2) I can smell musk.

Quote Originally Posted by scentemental View Post
    Let's see, so far it's reminded people of elements of Eau de Cartier, Rive Gauche Pour Homme--despite Magnifiscent's insistence that there's no connection with Rive Gauche Pour Homme at all; it's there for some of us--Paco Rabanne Pour Homme, Xeryus, and Antaeus.
    Dear Scentemental,
    I myself has seen the connection with Rive Gauche PH, but I don't see it so close to NRFH as many do, to me they are a bit of a different views of the same theme. I can see more the link with the muskyness of Paco Rabanne PH or the earthyness of Antaeus.
    Aside this, let me add to your thoughtfull post about musk that probably they didn't use just one kind of musk for both the male and female version of NR. I guess they used at least two, one more prominent and defined for the heart of both (giving for example to the feminine that adorable smell of infant's warm skin) and one more subtle and blurred tinging and amplifying the whole composition from head to toe.
    I myself had to try this juice more that once to perceive what's under the fernish blanket.

Sampled this in store and it's definately more potent than the mini I got from e-bay.
    The violet opening (or I think it's the violets) linger on my wrist longer than before.
    Nice one! bought a 50ml one.
    Too bad the Musk for him oil perfume is so expensive!

Yesterday, I realized that NRfh is also, though so remotely, reminiscent of Red PH by Girgio Beverly Hills, as I was wearing it the whole day.
    All in all, NRfh is a good fragrance and I look forward to an EdP version of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Killer_Vavoom View Post
    All in all, NRfh is a good fragrance and I look forward to an EdP version of it.
    Erm, they already have a Parfum version out and from what I hear, it's not very good.
    "I exist for myself, and for those to whom my unquenchable thirst for freedom gives everything, but also for everyone, since insofar as I am able to love - I love everyone. Of noble hearts, I am the noblest - and the most generous of those that yearn to give love in return. - I am a human being, I love death and I love life."

Egon Schiele - Self-Potrait

My classics: Dior Homme EdT, YSL Rive Gauche PH, Helmut Lang Cuiron, L'Occitane Neroli (vintage), Davidoff Zino, L'Occitane Eau des Baux

http://www.basenotes.net/wardrobe/2976

Smile Re: Narciso Rodriguez for Him - mini review

Its well made for sure but I think they have missed the boat with this one. This should have been relased 2 years ago as planned. Now the "classic revisited" has passed. This aint gonna be the timeless classic that "Her" will be IMO. Such a pity, this could have been sooooooooo much better! In saying that I was pleased to sniff that it does share very similar basnotes to the female counterpart.

I can´t stand the floral note...

Quote Originally Posted by CoL View Post
    This should have been relased 2 years ago as planned. Now the "classic revisited" has passed.
    I don't think that B.P.I. ever said back at the 2003 launch of For Her that they were going to release a men's version in 2005... wasn't their goal to "slowly build the brand over the long term"? I could be wrong, though...
    Last edited by MFfan310; 25th August 2007 at 06:38 PM.
    Top 5 for Late Summer:
    1) Straight to Heaven - By Kilian
    2) Aventus - Creed
    3) Flower of Immortality - By Kilian
    4) L'Humaniste - Frapin
    5) Millesime Imperial - Creed

My mission statement: "I am not afraid to keep on living - I am not afraid to walk this world alone."

I am a bit puzzled by the sudden interest in this fragrance/house .. it seems that this house has no history of fragrances, and I dont recall any hype pumping the release of the fragrance.

Is it because the nose is Mr. Le male, F. Kurkdjian ?
    -

Thumbs up Re: Narciso Rodriguez for Him - mini review

Ok so I finally got to try this one yesterday, and in all 3 concentrations:
    Eau de toilette, After shave and the musc-oil version.

I immediately liked it. The sharp, dry, über-macho opening completely knocked me over. It was years ago I smelled something like this in the designer section. Or more precisely it was exactly when Rive Gauche pour homme hit the shelves. And the time before that was at the arrival of the mighty M7.

I too agree with the comparison to Rive Gauche, they do share certain similarities, especially in overall impression. What surprised me was that no one mentioned another classic that NR echoes - namely Grey Flannel. The violet top immediately made me think of the Geoffrey Beene oldie. Both these similarities strenghten NR in my book and it luckily adds some personality of itīs own as well. The drydown of the Edt version lasted very well on my wrist and eventually settled into a cozy, warm and mossy combo of amber and fern.

The strength of NR is definitely not balance since the brutality of the topnotes linger quite a while - Iīd definitely not categorize this as a smooth fragrance. Instead itīs a slightly updated fougere, as many have already pointed out, a solid masculine choice for a night out or (with lighter application) an autumnal walk in the park followed by a better brunch.
    It has a barbershop vibe that oozes classicism and conjures up images of cultural interest (for some reason) in me. Also it blends clean and soapy with dirty/virile in just the same way as Rive Gauche does. A lovely contrast IMO, that is hard to achieve successfully.

Regarding the different concentrations the edt is DEFINITELY the way to go. The musc oil which was ridiculously priced at 220$ is EXTREMELY weak. I couldnīt believe how fast it faded - just a slight trace after 3 hours - not a good deal. The difference in actual smell is also minimal, smells like a watered down version of the edt with just a hint of white musk.
    The after shave lasted quite well and smelled like a softer, rounder version of the edt, nice in itīs own, but since the rawness is somewhat of NRīs forte IMO, Iīd absolutely get the eau. The packaging is great by the way, and the flacon looks excellent in all of itīs simplicity. Itīs like they made the Ralph Lauren Romance bottles the way they shouldīve looked. Stylish.

Overall Iīm impressed. If this is even a slight indication of things to come designerwise, then folks - weīre back on track. Perhaps NR "borrows" a bit too much from earlier stuff, but at least it borrows from the right side of the nineties!

Basenotes Institution

I also get the similarities to Grey Flannel...I didn't say so in my review above because its such a short moment that this similarity lasts and then to me it starts to resemble Xeryus more. But, yes, Grey Flannel is there in the shadows of NRfH.

Also, I sampled the oil (parfum) today at Saks and I do agree that the longevity is not good for a parfum at its price point, but the top notes of the oil are toe-curlingly divine.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post

Also, I sampled the oil (parfum) today at Saks and I do agree that the longevity is not good for a parfum at its price point, but the top notes of the oil are toe-curlingly divine.
    Unfortunately I have just a paper with the oil on, but after 4 days it's still divine. I was I bit confused, because on the net I could find only musc for her, and wasn't sure if I have tried that one. But now the search was successful:

http://www.escentual.com/cgi-bin/Esc...rcisoforhim003
    Last edited by Sandy; 1st October 2007 at 06:04 PM.

Basenotes Institution

I just received my brand new bottle of this (the scent not the oil) in the mail today - but I won't be able to wear it for a couple days since I'm participating in the 'Guess the Chypre' on the womens board. I might just explode with excitement if I have to wait til the end of the week. For now, I'm caressing the bottle...

Its now available at local Nordstroms by the way
    I'm just so glad I didn't blind buy it before

NR is too sharp for my taste. Honestly I cant find any similarity with RG which was mentioned couple times before in these thread. Actually NR reminds me much more on Azzaro PH than RG, especially because its sharp opening, but thats only my skin.
    Last edited by suncheese; 2nd October 2007 at 07:10 AM.

It smells medicinal to me, like a hospital

I finally smelled it at Bloomingdales. My first thought was "Ouch!" Everytime I wouuld smell it(on the cool cloth tester strips), my nose and head started to hurt. I still asked for a sample though to try and give it a wearing.

Well today I gave it at full wearing. I recived a compliment on it from a co-worker. Then later on in the day I would get a whiff of something and wonder "whats smells good?". Then I realized it was Narciso. I might be picking up a bottle.

Basenotes Institution

I wore it last night for the 1st time from my new bottle and asked two friends who are 'interested in scents' if they could detect the notes, etc. One correctly guessed 'musk', the other thought it had tobacco. Does NRFH have tobacco?

They both liked it and were wildly surprised that it had violets.

I love this stuff.

After smelling the female version of it on a secretary at the office I was very curious about the male version of NR. Finally almost a month ago it did arrive to the shops in The Netherlands. I have tested it many times. I have to say that it had the YSL Kouros effect on me. First I did not find it very impressive and a bit odd, but now I begin to like it. As the others told here, it reminds me too RG and GF, but I also get a note like cucumber or melon which I get similar notes from Kenzo PH. Very strange, but it also reminds me a kind of cheese. Think of a blue cheese/Roquefort, but take the cheese smell away and think of the light herbal/fungusal smell you get from it, but a very light version of it. This cheesy smell that I get is not bad at all. Imagine you get a small piece of blue cheese or another herbal cheese and after that you sip your wine and then you have a nice light delicate taste of the cheese in your mouth and a light delicate herbal smell. That is the sensation that I get with NG. It is very common in Turkey to eat cheese with melon or watermelon. This is the one thing that I don't like about this fragrance: It makes me feel hungry and reminds me eating melon and cheese. I'm afraid that I'll put on weight if I buy NR and begin to use it. ;-)

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by Bytebuster View Post
    After smelling the female version of it on a secretary at the office I was very curious about the male version of NR. Finally almost a month ago it did arrive to the shops in The Netherlands. I have tested it many times. I have to say that it had the YSL Kouros effect on me. First I did not find it very impressive and a bit odd, but now I begin to like it. As the others told here, it reminds me too RG and GF, but I also get a note like cucumber or melon which I get similar notes from Kenzo PH. Very strange, but it also reminds me a kind of cheese. Think of a blue cheese/Roquefort, but take the cheese smell away and think of the light herbal/fungusal smell you get from it, but a very light version of it. This cheesy smell that I get is not bad at all. Imagine you get a small piece of blue cheese or another herbal cheese and after that you sip your wine and then you have a nice light delicate taste of the cheese in your mouth and a light delicate herbal smell. That is the sensation that I get with NG. It is very common in Turkey to eat cheese with melon or watermelon. This is the one thing that I don't like about this fragrance: It makes me feel hungry and reminds me eating melon and cheese. I'm afraid that I'll put on weight if I buy NR and begin to use it. ;-)
    Maybe it is the violet note? I remember when I was testing the Tom Ford Private Blends, one of them I tested is called Black Violet. A blogger review I read of Black Violet mentioned that it 'smelled like blue cheese' to her. So, maybe that's it..?

Did I tell everyone I am in love with this scent?

Quote Originally Posted by scentimus View Post
    Did I tell everyone I am in love with this scent?
    After the third trying I detected not-so-week similarity to Fahrenheit 32. Did you?